Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   OT - Who's watching The Wire? (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=12449)

Logan 05-01-2007 05:52 PM

I'll only go if Snoop is not attending. That thing terrifies me.

Pyser 05-01-2007 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peregrine (Post 1455769)
This sure would be amazing to go to:

http://www.ellafund.org/events.html

thanks! just booked 2 tickets as a thank you to 2 people who i owe big. its their favorite show.

i wish i could go, too.

QuikSand 05-01-2007 08:37 PM

We may have to get to that as well.

primelord 05-02-2007 12:41 AM

What's up with so many actors from The Wire making cameos on Numb3rs? What is the connection between these shows? In recent weeks Bunk, Avon, Lt. Daniels, Wee-Bay and Chris have all made appearances. I may even be forgetting some.

thesloppy 05-02-2007 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by primelord (Post 1456114)
What's up with so many actors from The Wire making cameos on Numb3rs? What is the connection between these shows? In recent weeks Bunk, Avon, Lt. Daniels, Wee-Bay and Chris have all made appearances. I may even be forgetting some.

I love it when that happens....like how everybody from Oz ended up on one of the eight different Law & Orders. The Wire's also got at least a dozen players who appeared on Oz at one time, although a connection between HBO shows is somewhat less than surprising.

spleen1015 05-02-2007 07:54 AM

I saw the red headed DA screaming about saving her son on a preview for The Closer.

QuikSand 09-03-2007 10:36 AM

Nice puff piece from the WashPost today about wrapping the final scenes...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...v=rss_metro/md

Logan 09-03-2007 10:43 AM

I get excited whenever I see this thread bumped, kinda like the Stalls thread.

I'm going to assume that you wouldn't have posted that if there were any spoilers in it...correct?

ausonny 09-03-2007 12:10 PM

No spoilers other than the overall theme of the season and the mention of a new character and his character traits. Also I guess a spoiler to know who was still shooting on the final day, so I guess the assumption could be made their characters are still alive.

Logan 09-03-2007 01:10 PM

Great read, thanks. I'm really going to miss this show when it's over, but those DVDs will never leave my side.

Love this quote from the article:

Quote:

Actors wandered in with their families, while Andre Royo, who played Bubbles, ran around, dressed like a newspaper peddler, handing out copies of a fake newspaper, "The Wire," with a giant headline: "HBO SERIES WRAPS PRODUCTION: Fifth season concludes in Baltimore; Emmy voters will be given one last shot to get it right."

edit: Nice spoiler...final episode will be an hour and a half :).

Pyser 11-05-2007 12:57 PM

FANTASTIC Wire article, focusing on David Simon

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...?currentPage=1

IMetTrentGreen 11-05-2007 02:34 PM

They are running the seasons on HBO in demand up to season 5. They are on season 2 right now. I didn't like it as much when I first saw it, but it grew on me the second time through.

One question though: Why did the Greek tip off his FBI contact about the Columbian drug shipment (the one disguised as paint pigments?) Two viewings and I still don't understand that.

Edit: For clarifications sake, when I say I didn't like season 2 much, that is in relation to the other seasons. Season 2 is still better than anything else on TV.

Peregrine 11-05-2007 04:17 PM

Wow, that's one really good article.

BishopMVP 11-05-2007 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMetTrentGreen (Post 1587228)
They are running the seasons on HBO in demand up to season 5. They are on season 2 right now. I didn't like it as much when I first saw it, but it grew on me the second time through.

One question though: Why did the Greek tip off his FBI contact about the Columbian drug shipment (the one disguised as paint pigments?) Two viewings and I still don't understand that.

Edit: For clarifications sake, when I say I didn't like season 2 much, that is in relation to the other seasons. Season 2 is still better than anything else on TV.

The Colombians were supposed to pay 1million for the chemicals Sobotka (the nephew) stole, and were trying to get away with only paying 200k.

Bad-example 11-05-2007 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMetTrentGreen (Post 1587228)

I believe the Greek was paying back the federal agent with a gift-wrapped big bust for the intel he provides. It was almost certainly a competitor's shipment.

Peregrine 11-05-2007 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad-example (Post 1587484)
I believe the Greek was paying back the federal agent with a gift-wrapped big bust for the intel he provides. It was almost certainly a competitor's shipment.

Right, it's even mentioned that's it a shipment coming in from the Colombians at one point.

Clark 11-05-2007 06:54 PM

Anyone know of any good deals on season 1? New or used. Probably ebay?

Pyser 11-05-2007 07:55 PM

from time to time its on sale for about $25

id look for a black friday deal, or a deal when season 4 comes out on dvd in december, if you can wait.

Clark 11-05-2007 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyser (Post 1587569)
from time to time its on sale for about $25

id look for a black friday deal, or a deal when season 4 comes out on dvd in december, if you can wait.

Thank you.

Pyser 11-22-2007 10:46 AM

best buy has each season of the wire for about $27 each right now online...amazons prices are close, too

timmynausea 12-30-2007 02:36 PM

I just tore through all 4 seasons over the past 2 or 3 weeks. Now I'm seriously debating whether I should watch season 5 week by week or just wait and watch it marathon style in a couple of months. I can see advantages to either way. I feel like watching the episodes close together I definitely picked up on a lot of little parallels between different story lines that I probably would've missed with a week in between, but I also feel that by rushing it I am missing part of the anticipation and spending a week wondering what will happen next type excitement.

In any case, I had actually tried to watch the show two or three times before (and even posted in this thread back in 2003) but got so annoyed by a couple of scenes in the first episode that I found it tough to go on. (The primary scene in question being the introduction of Rawls in which he berates McNulty for the first time.) Obviously in retrospect, a lot of the office politics/relationships are supposed to be as frustrating to the audience as they are to some of the characters, but I had a really hard time sitting through it. I can admit that part of that was probably being younger and impatient, so in some ways I'm glad that I put off the show until now, but even now I really do think the first episode was probably the worst of the entire series.

The first two seasons were very very good, and certainly among the best things on TV, but seasons 3 and 4 were just unbelievable. I can't think of any other show that just continued to get better and better as it went along. A lot of writers seem to run out of ideas after a year or two. The Wire continues to sprawl and get more complex and intricate every year without losing any of its richness or depth. It definitely has raised the bar for TV drama.

timmynausea 12-30-2007 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad-example (Post 1333389)
I still think there is a very good chance that this will happen. Since this post, Michael has become an assassin for Marlo, Omar has royally pissed off Marlo, and that ring Omar stole has come nearly full circle. I am usually wrong when I try predicting this show, but I feel pretty good about this time.

I got the same thing as you. As soon as Omar said. "He's just a kid," I thought for sure that Michael would end up killing him down the road. I think the fact that it was the final scene of an episode really made it stick out. I hope we're wrong, though, actually.

spleen1015 12-30-2007 02:39 PM

Season 5 starts next Sunday!

DeToxRox 12-30-2007 02:42 PM

Season 5 is only 10 episodes which sucks and since it's the finale, it sucks that much more, but you know it's going to be fucking amazing.

Lorena 12-30-2007 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timmynausea (Post 1624957)
The first two seasons were very very good, and certainly among the best things on TV, but seasons 3 and 4 were just unbelievable. I can't think of any other show that just continued to get better and better as it went along. A lot of writers seem to run out of ideas after a year or two. The Wire continues to sprawl and get more complex and intricate every year without losing any of its richness or depth. It definitely has raised the bar for TV drama.

We're waiting on discs 3 and 4 from Season 4 from Netflix and I agree with everything you said. Season 3 was awesome but season 4 is so good I don't know if Season 5 can top it. The first 2 seasons were good but not as good as the last 2. Just an incredible show.

Logan 12-30-2007 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timmynausea (Post 1624957)
I just tore through all 4 seasons over the past 2 or 3 weeks. Now I'm seriously debating whether I should watch season 5 week by week or just wait and watch it marathon style in a couple of months. I can see advantages to either way. I feel like watching the episodes close together I definitely picked up on a lot of little parallels between different story lines that I probably would've missed with a week in between, but I also feel that by rushing it I am missing part of the anticipation and spending a week wondering what will happen next type excitement.

I watched Seasons 1-3 marathon style prior to watching S4 week to week. While it's definitely great being able to knock off 4-5 episodes at a time, I suggest watching with all of us for this one. A major reason is since this is the last season, there's a chance you'll accidentally catch a spoiler somewhere and you don't want that.

One thing you get out of leaving the week in between is since you're not flying through everything, you have time to reflect on the past episode and think about what went down. I usually ended up watching at least part of a replay each week too, where I picked up on some things you miss the first time around. I think both marathon and week to week viewings can present unique experiences.

Logan 12-30-2007 11:37 PM

We had pretty much no discussion going on about Season 4 due to the On Demand stuff...it became too hard to figure out where everyone was, and what was okay. Think we should come up with a standard spoiler warning for our posts, i.e.

"Just saw Episode 3...
Spoiler
"

"About the end of Episode 5...
Spoiler
"

etc, this way we know what all the spoilers are referencing?

Barkeep49 12-31-2007 08:11 AM

I think that's a real good idea Logan.

Logan 12-31-2007 11:04 AM

Cool, I'll start.

The premier to Season 5...
So happy it's back. I feel like I need another viewing already. Poor Dukie, all grown up and still no one respects him. Thought it was funny how he was describing himself as a housewife.

Fiscal crisis leaves the cops pissed and major crimes disbanded. Guessing that Marlo's crew pulls something (maybe related to Chris reading that file on Sergei from Season 2?) that puts the heat back on City Hall to bring him down. Nice to see Marlo follow Prop Joe's advice and tighten up a lot, including spreading word by moped.

Herc partnering up with Levy! Can't see that being anything but a perfect union.

I can already tell I'm going to like the media angle. Made me realize how hard it must be to get content for a daily paper.

The Bunk...scamming some kid with a photo copier lie detector test, combined with parading his buddy past while shoveling fries into his mouth. Classic.

While I feel bad for Beadie, drunk, womanizing McNutty makes the show better. "That's my desk."

QuikSand 01-01-2008 07:25 PM

Another article about David Simon - I haven't read it all yet, but thought I'd share. Potential spoilers, I guess, for those who have not watched through season four.

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200801/bowden-wire

IMetTrentGreen 01-04-2008 09:29 PM

Episode 1 is up On Demand. I guess they are doing the same Monday-before thing they did last season.

No spoilers, but the episode is good as ever, and the opening part is fucking epic.

Peregrine 01-04-2008 10:31 PM

I just finished watching all of seasons 1-4 over the last few weeks, so I'm ready for season 5!

Antmeister 01-05-2008 11:19 PM

Yay! Finally finished Season 4 on Netflix. This is going to be legendary televison when all is said and done and after time has passed. It amazes me that they kept up with the integrity of the show for 4 solid seasons.

Lorena 01-06-2008 10:06 AM

I just posted a review on the Last Movie Watched thread.. unbelievable ending.. just unreal. My heart broke for many of the characters... BODIE!! :(

Barkeep49 01-06-2008 11:13 AM

For reference: Are we spoiler tagging all S5 discussion even after it's been aired on Sundays? Just don't want to mess up, or cause needless hassle, when I post my reactions tonight :).

Logan 01-06-2008 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barkeep49 (Post 1630002)
For reference: Are we spoiler tagging all S5 discussion even after it's been aired on Sundays? Just don't want to mess up, or cause needless hassle, when I post my reactions tonight :).

Anything posted after it airs on HBO is fair game, in my opinion.

QuikSand 01-06-2008 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan (Post 1630075)
Anything posted after it airs on HBO is fair game, in my opinion.

I think that's the most reasonable rule. When I can't watch live, I avoid the thread until I have.

Logan 01-06-2008 05:53 PM

I'm out of town for work this week, which means no HBO On Demand for me. It would really, really be a shame if I can't fall asleep tonight and find myself still awake at around 12:15 :).

Miller Time 01-06-2008 06:17 PM

I thought the new episode was very well done. I am looking forward to the whole media angle this season. It's a damn shame there will only be ten episodes this season.

QuikSand 01-06-2008 09:07 PM

First episode ramps things up pretty well. I don't really like Clark Johnson as an actor (well, didn't much like him on Homicide) but I think they won me on his character when he had the slight hesitation and then gave the credit for finding the story to the dumbass reporter, rather than taking it himself. Little stuff like that is just the fabric of the show.

When it comes to this show, I'm more than biting the hook... I'm practically leaping right into the icechest. I'm already worried about what the world will be like after nine more episodes.

Barkeep49 01-06-2008 09:09 PM

I didn't recognize Clark Johnson at first. I too think the news angle will be very interesting

Frankly I miss the optimism of that new day.

Dukie as the housewife is heartbreaking. I was a little disappointed we didn't get to see Namond (or Bunny for that matter who I love) who was, next to Michael, the most interesting of the kiddie crew.

I couldn't believe Marlo disrespecting Prop Joe like that. I saw an interview with the actor who plays Marlo and he was all shy and had none of the swagger or arrogance that the character has. I always liked Stringer and Prop Joe. Marlo? Him I want to see get taken down HARD.

EDIT: The biggest disappointment to me is Carcetti. For a bit there it looked like he realized the best politics was being a good mayor. But then he decided that being Governor was more important. I wish Norman would go find somebody else to shill for. Carcetti isn't good enough for him.

Logan 01-06-2008 10:34 PM

Went ahead and unspoilerized my post above about the premier...

lcjjdnh 01-06-2008 11:13 PM

Does anyone know when next week's episode goes up on OnDemand? In other words, is worth staying up a little later to catch it?

Peregrine 01-07-2008 07:05 AM

I always liked Clark Johnson on Homicide so I was glad he finally made it to the Wire. Of course he has directed a few episodes of the Wire so it's not like he hasn't been involved in it up till now.

The Marlo-Prop Joe situation will be interesting to watch this season. Now that Marlo is on the trail of Prop Joe's sources, he probably figures he can take control over from him once Prop Joe is weak enough.

Landshark44 01-07-2008 08:55 AM

how is it that chris and snoop posted bail so quick, when they were suspected of committing the murders of the bodies in the vacants...?

especially after the police found chris's gun in the SUV they pulled over. always seemed odd to me, they let those two go so easily....

seems ballistics would have been able to match some of the bullets in the dead bodies to chris's gun....

Barkeep49 01-07-2008 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landshark44 (Post 1630526)
how is it that chris and snoop posted bail so quick, when they were suspected of committing the murders of the bodies in the vacants...?

especially after the police found chris's gun in the SUV they pulled over. always seemed odd to me, they let those two go so easily....

seems ballistics would have been able to match some of the bullets in the dead bodies to chris's gun....

They dumped the nail gun so the police wouldn't have been able to link them to that.

Landshark44 01-07-2008 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barkeep49 (Post 1630529)
They dumped the nail gun so the police wouldn't have been able to link them to that.

but they found his real gun above the glove compartment, in the secret spot....even if it didn't match any of the bullets found in the bodies...

they were still the main suspects in 22 murders. and they posted bail in the same episode they were arrested in...

awesome show, for sure..... i didn't LOVE last nights episode, but i will reserve judgement for the complete season....kind of reminded me of season 2 for some reason...

Logan 01-07-2008 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan (Post 1630202)
I'm out of town for work this week, which means no HBO On Demand for me. It would really, really be a shame if I can't fall asleep tonight and find myself still awake at around 12:15 :).

Not like anyone cares...but I stayed up to watch this despite being exhausted and having my alarm set for 6:30. This was my chain of events: I started it around 12:30, fell asleep around 1, woke up just after it ended at 1:30, continued my idiocy and rewound the damn thing to the last point I remembered, finished it around 2, passed out by 2:01, woke up at 6:30, and by 6:31, realized I didn't remember a damn thing from the episode.

BishopMVP 01-10-2008 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landshark44 (Post 1630535)
but they found his real gun above the glove compartment, in the secret spot....even if it didn't match any of the bullets found in the bodies...

I'm assuming they were smart enough to dump their guns after committing the murders, unlike Byrd when Omar called him out in the courtroom for being too dumb/attached to dump the gun.

S5E2
Spoiler

BishopMVP 01-10-2008 04:03 PM

S5 E2
Spoiler