Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   CJBL: A web-based, FM-style multiplayer College Basketball League has openings (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=96393)

spleen1015 02-05-2022 07:53 PM

I played PF in HS and our offense was run through the bigs, lots of plays to the post, off pick and rolls. So, I want to run a post centric office.

I am not a fan of today's 3-point game and I think my team is shooting too many 3s.

skrath 02-05-2022 08:42 PM

You can control some of the players tendencies by going to My Team > Tendencies. In fact, you can tell all your players to shoot Less (or even None) three pointers if you choose.

jbergey22 02-06-2022 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spleen1015 (Post 3359157)
I played PF in HS and our offense was run through the bigs, lots of plays to the post, off pick and rolls. So, I want to run a post centric office.

I am not a fan of today's 3-point game and I think my team is shooting too many 3s.

Look for players that fit your style instead of just recruiting the top ranked players. I am still not very good at that but it is starting to resonate.

One of my teams last year, despite having good ratings for the conference they are in, really struggled. I am certain that the reason was because I had a bunch of G & G or post centric players trying to play Pace & Space. I needed better spacing/positioning and better outside shooting for that offense to be successful.

Offensive Awareness/Defensive Awareness seem like VERY important rankings. Players that "overachieve" seem to have high awareness ratings.

BishopMVP 02-06-2022 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spleen1015 (Post 3359157)

Post Centric, G&G are good for that, Balanced is slower paced and can be molded into that style too. I just would have tried to talk you out of it if you said Triangle or 7SoL ;)

Like commish said you can adjust both team 3 point rate on Team Strategy page, and individual's rates on the Tendencies page. They are college kids though, they won't always listen to you and they do like to shoot their 3's haha. Also feel free to ask stuff in #NewGMs on the slack channel if you're not in it, lot of people happy to help over there!

spleen1015 02-06-2022 11:16 AM

Thanks for the tips, fellas!

kingnebwsu 02-07-2022 11:08 PM

Joined about a week ago & am having fun with it even though my team needs a lot of work.

How often do you adjust the player's individual tendencies? That page is frankly very intimidating when I first open it. Thanks!

Simbo Klice 02-07-2022 11:20 PM

My team (Kent State) started with a post centric offense and I think I like it. Seems to encourage your lesser players to take closer shots while my marquee and important players still do their own thing. Love the live gamecast feature, it’s immersive and cool to see the actual results as they play out.

jbergey22 02-07-2022 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingnebwsu (Post 3359351)
Joined about a week ago & am having fun with it even though my team needs a lot of work.

How often do you adjust the player's individual tendencies? That page is frankly very intimidating when I first open it. Thanks!

I usually only set it at the beginning of the season and maybe change a couple of things during the season if I feel something isn't right. It helps with spacing and making sure your poor post players aren't posting up or your poor 3 point shooters aren't jacking up 3s. I would recommend setting it up if you want to maximize your teams ability.

jbergey22 02-07-2022 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simbo Klice (Post 3359352)
My team (Kent State) started with a post centric offense and I think I like it. Seems to encourage your lesser players to take closer shots while my marquee and important players still do their own thing. Love the live gamecast feature, it’s immersive and cool to see the actual results as they play out.

Gamecast is awesome.

PilotMan 02-08-2022 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingnebwsu (Post 3359351)

There are definitely ways that you can improve your team's performance on that page. The team will play more to the style of the team and each player will play to their own individual preferences more and sometimes that better and sometimes that's worse.

It's not possible to min/max the game or team, but you can help things run better by looking at your stats and each player's performance and skills. Changes to the prefs page do not happen overnight, and changing them from game to game can have you chasing shadows and looking at bad data. Especially in the college game, where there are fewer games, it can be harder to gauge outcomes. Make changes, give the team some time to adjust and watch the outcomes, games, how the players respond. If you've demoted a player, he might become unsettled and play worse depending on his personality.

The answers are in the data, but you can also make so many adjustments that the yin you thought you were getting ends up being the yang.

PilotMan 02-22-2022 09:24 AM

Is Slack down for anyone else?

Thomkal 02-22-2022 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PilotMan (Post 3360862)
Is Slack down for anyone else?

Seems to be up for me

PilotMan 02-22-2022 09:51 AM

Not for me, can't get on my laptop, and while it comes up on my phone, it says "trying to connect" on the bottom.

{edit: Update....yes, Slack is down for some people per news and company Twitter.}

Vince, Pt. II 02-22-2022 02:06 PM

Just a bump for recruitment purposes!

I love this league, and have been around for about a year now. The quality of the product is fantastic, and the content that is created around the league is insane! We're up to three different regular podcasts - like legit podcasts, search for JBL Radio on Spotify - with two others who publish intermittently. We're always looking for new members, and now would be an excellent time to join - we still have the tail end of conference play, conference tournaments, then the National Tournaments. Jumping in now would give you a good taste of what your team is capable of to prepare you for recruiting next season!

There are some very compelling available teams!

Hardmode tier:
  • Northwestern Wildcats
  • TCU Horned Frogs

These Below Average Prestige teams are the only non-human controlled teams in the Big 10 and the Big 12, respectively. They'll be tough to turn around with some heavyweights at the top of their conference, but you'll constantly have human AD's to battle against.

Looking for a do-able Challenge tier:
  • Georgia Bulldogs
  • Saint Joseph's Hawks
  • George Washington Colonials
  • Wichita State Shockers
  • Central Florida Knights
These teams all recently had human AD's, have Average prestige, and are in mostly human filled conferences. Georgia is probably the most enviable available team right now as the only AI controlled SEC team, and was recently very good.

jbergey22 02-22-2022 05:15 PM

Georgia also has Jack Bisping, currently a Junior, and one of the best bigs in the SEC coming back next season. In fact, their entire starting lineup would be back next season unless someone were to leave via transfer.

PilotMan 03-18-2022 09:28 AM

The 2035 season is over! Marquette over UCLA in the finals. The JBL Conference Finals are still ongoing, and once the finals are over, the JBL goes through expansion with 6 new teams joining the pros. College conference realignment is happening this off season as well, and after that, on to recruiting for the new 2036 season. There are plenty of teams available, and don't even worry about only having smaller teams available, conference battles are outstanding and the community is second to none. Let's go!

Thomkal 03-18-2022 12:56 PM

Woohoo Marquette!

Thomkal 03-30-2022 03:04 PM

The madness has started again, go get your scheduling done today!

jbergey22 04-07-2022 09:36 AM

Two up and coming programs just became available. Mississippi St - A young team with plenty returning coming off 3 straight tourny appearances.

Also, South Dakota if you are looking for a small school to rise up with. South Dakota probably returns the best team in the Summit(2 4* recruits) but will need a human owned AD to get to the tourny.

Thomkal 04-11-2022 10:25 PM

Phase one of the transfer stage has started and will last for about 24 hours. This stage is where you can discuss with those who want to transfer and maybe change their mind (or not in Coastal's case). So important to take a look at the transfer list in the next day or so.

Emmett13 04-12-2022 10:51 AM

Man, don't know how I didn't notice this over the years. I'm super interested.

I guess there's no way to use this program in any sort of solo capacity?

Thomkal 04-12-2022 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emmett13 (Post 3365575)
Man, don't know how I didn't notice this over the years. I'm super interested.

I guess there's no way to use this program in any sort of solo capacity?

Nope you have to struggle with the rest of us. :) The good news is you can play in a league with few human owners where its not so competitive and have time to breathe while you get used to how it all works then add or move on to one of the big boys when/if you are ready

Emmett13 04-12-2022 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomkal (Post 3365587)
Nope you have to struggle with the rest of us. :) The good news is you can play in a league with few human owners where its not so competitive and have time to breathe while you get used to how it all works then add or move on to one of the big boys when/if you are ready

Sounds fun! Who do I get an invitation code from and am in a good time of the season to take over?

Thomkal 04-12-2022 01:24 PM

The Commish (Skrath) hangs out here so may see your interest. Not sure if the website has a signup page or not: https://jblfl.com/cjbl/home

It's not ideal to start now as you missed a couple things in this new season, but transfers are going to start tonight I think, so not a bad place to start.

sabotai 04-12-2022 02:25 PM

When I started, it was at the beginning of the season (missed the off-season). There's no bad time to start. (Though season 2 was a lot more fun as my team felt more like my team)

Send a private message to skrath if he hasn't seen the thread yet.

Emmett13 04-12-2022 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabotai (Post 3365598)
When I started, it was at the beginning of the season (missed the off-season). There's no bad time to start. (Though season 2 was a lot more fun as my team felt more like my team)

Send a private message to skrath if he hasn't seen the thread yet.

Done and done.

Thomkal 04-19-2022 07:25 PM

And we're off! First stage of recruiting has started and will last 72 hours. Stay away from my recruits! :)

Thomkal 07-17-2022 10:36 AM

The new season has started at last :) There have been some changes in the way things look and work, so check out this help file:

https://app.slack.com/docs/T5JAZM7R6...nnel=C98KW73C7

Thomkal 07-31-2022 06:34 AM

Coach Hiring has begun

Thomkal 08-09-2022 06:32 AM

The first phase of Transfers have begun! You have 48 hours to convince the players on your team(s) who entered the Portal to stay

jbergey22 08-09-2022 09:27 PM

I was hesitant back in 2018 when I first started seeing posts about this league because things like this flame out a lot. I finally joined in March of 2021 and this league has been more than I could have ever imagine. My only regret is not signing up sooner. You will not regret it. The commissioner is great and the community is so much fun. People are very respectful of each other yet very competitive.

This is the right time to join. Transfer period is starting and recruiting comes next. You will instantly grow attached to your players.

PilotMan 08-10-2022 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbergey22 (Post 3374379)
I was hesitant back in 2018 when I first started seeing posts about this league because things like this flame out a lot. I finally joined in March of 2021 and this league has been more than I could have ever imagine. My only regret is not signing up sooner. You will not regret it. The commissioner is great and the community is so much fun. People are very respectful of each other yet very competitive.

This is the right time to join. Transfer period is starting and recruiting comes next. You will instantly grow attached to your players.

Everything he said. It's hard to say just how good it is. It's so deep it's ridiculous. The community makes it perfect though.

skrath 08-10-2022 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbergey22 (Post 3374379)

There were comments that it might to flame out when I launched it on IRC.. in March 1998 ;) I love this community (150 people strong).. it's the #1 reason it keeps going!

Some significant (and exciting) changes to the core engine this year with the incorporation of further "Synergy"-style play-by-play, meaning more detailed play statistics ie
  • Hand Off > From Dribble > Right > No Dribble Jumper > Guarded > Three
  • Post-Up > Left Block > Right Shoulder > Dribble Move > To Up and Under
  • [Player2] > P&R Ball Handler > High P&R > Go Away From Pick > Defense Commits > Ball Delivered > [Player1] > Cut > Basket

This should make it more exciting to watch live games (with improved commentary).

In addition, we've moved from letter grades to a FM-style numbers based 1-20 system. CJBL teams see a "scaled" version of the overall universe (relative to the strength of the league):

Perfect time to join for anyone on the fence! The fun of recruiting will fill the next few weeks.

Thomkal 08-29-2022 08:45 PM

Commish has posted over in slack the many changes to the sim this season. Looks like the fun starts up again tomorrow or Wed.

weegeebored 08-29-2022 10:06 PM

Even though I am no longer part of the league, it was great fun for the seasons that I played. If you're on the fence, fwiw I recommend that you give CJBL a try.

PilotMan 08-29-2022 10:07 PM

Come back to us weegeebored!

Thomkal 09-09-2022 01:43 PM

So after the "Great Disaster" of the servers crashing in mid-recruiting, we are back with stage 1 of recruiting, so you have 2+ days to get it done (again)

Emmett13 11-23-2022 01:55 PM

This league is 2 dope

Thomkal 12-06-2022 09:12 AM

Coach Hiring (for Head Coaches first 2 stages) has begun! Commish also revealed changes to post-season tournaments that I'm sure we will find a way to complain add. Scroll up in Slack chat to see it.

PilotMan 12-30-2022 08:14 AM

Recruiting for the 2038 season is about to begin. Great time for new AD's to join this TOTALLY FREE TO PLAY league. I think we have over 100 human AD's now, the game continues to evolve and get better. Besides pretty much all the available teams will be mid to low prestige and you can get in on the ground floor of a conference where there's minimal pressure and you can really get used to everything. But if you're really with it, you'll be picking up your 2nd team within 5 days, because you need another fix. What do you have to lose?

skrath 12-30-2022 07:07 PM

Currently at 241/362 (66.5%) teams are human controlled! Plenty of lower teams available for people to learn the game and engine. Great time to join as we're about to start recruiting.

RedKingGold 12-30-2022 09:30 PM

Join us or I will send you nudes.

HansMellman 01-14-2023 08:41 AM

Interested!

jbergey22 01-14-2023 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedKingGold (Post 3388480)
Join us or I will send you nudes.

This line has recruited more than half the membership. :lol:

INDalltheway 01-14-2023 10:09 AM

Interested as well

PilotMan 01-14-2023 03:27 PM

There's a great peek at the game in the dynasties from Emmett. We're wrapping up recruit for the upcoming season now and training camp is will be this week followed by the new 2038 season.

Skrath is your man to get going. Send him your email or send it to me and I'll pass it to him as well. I think we're over 130 human ADs now.

Full pro league and Euros coming on line shortly. The opportunity is limitless.

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...ad.php?t=98567

PilotMan 01-14-2023 03:27 PM

There's a great peek at the game in the dynasties from Emmett. We're wrapping up recruit for the upcoming season now and training camp is will be this week followed by the new 2038 season.

Skrath is your man to get going. Send him your email or send it to me and I'll pass it to him as well. I think we're over 130 human ADs now.

CJBL - Oklahoma State Cowboys - Front Office Football Central

HansMellman 01-14-2023 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PilotMan (Post 3390456)

CJBL - Oklahoma State Cowboys - Front Office Football Central

That's what piqued my interest initially, an interesting thread. I love hearing how other GM's run their teams and think about aspects of team building. I've dropped Skrath a message so hopefully when it's day time in AU i'll hear back. Is now a good time to jump in do you think?

Is the Pro league the JBL? I'd tried to take a brief look at the site but if you're not signed up I think most of it is inaccessible.

PilotMan 01-14-2023 03:42 PM

There's no bad time to start. The learning curve is steep and your first season and off season are just to figure things out and learn. Yes the JBL is the pro league where the hardest of the hard core are.

Multiple podcasts are dedicated to both leagues. It's really unlike anything you've ever come across.

https://open.spotify.com/show/6P2OdhIO2hEiG9CxhfhinU

HansMellman 01-14-2023 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PilotMan (Post 3390458)
There's no bad time to start. The learning curve is steep and your first season and off season are just to figure things out and learn. Yes the JBL is the pro league where the hardest of the hard core are.

Multiple podcasts are dedicated to both leagues. It's really unlike anything you've ever come across.

403 Forbidden

Awesome, I look forward to hearing back and hopefully getting started!

I take it most of the communication is on Slack/Discord?

Is there a dedicated schedule for the college podcasts or do these cover both pro and collegiate stuff in the same pods?