Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   COVID-19 - Wuhan Coronavirus (a non-political thread, see pg. 36 #1778) (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=96561)

SirFozzie 03-22-2020 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobodyHere (Post 3270712)
Yeah, after 61 governments since the end of WW2, Italy finally has it right!

I'm pretty sure most of em are jerks or Lega Nord types, but man, they don't mess around do they? :) (actually, going to stop that line, this is supposed to be non-political)

Ironhead 03-22-2020 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Swartz (Post 3270644)
I think we follow the death rate and overcrowding at hospitals along with whatever temporary converted structures like hotels, arenas, etc. we end up using for that purpose as well. When people stop dying in obscene numbers from it and we have the luxury of doing elective surgeries again, that's the indicator I'd look at.

My frustration is that if all we have to guide us are the worst possible outcomes (hospitalization or death) it is just going to lead to continued fear. Everyone has different tolerances for risk they are willing to take in their life. Some people are willing to bungee jump while others will "nope nope nope" away because there is always a chance of the worst possible outcome.

What does the death and hospitalization rate need to look like at each of the following levels before one should feel comfortable going about daily life?

a) the world
b) your country
c) your state
d) your county
e) your city
f) your workplace

Throw personal circumstances into the mix on top of all that (age, health issues, financial strain, etc...) and mix it with the need to maintain the collective good to make it more difficult.

My answer - no clue yet. I am just a nerd who plays simulation games and is trying to keep his family safe. But as a point of reference my county has a population of about 600,000 people and as of today has 108 confirmed cases. The state is currently on lockdown. When you step back and look at those numbers is there any wonder that many people are going to treat this like the flu and try to go about their daily life like nothing has changed? (I am not one of them, for the record)

The only thing I know for certain is that I tend to be cautious about these types of things and am not a big risk taker. I remember reading this comic strip as a kid and something about the final part of it always stuck with me:

Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson for May 02, 1989 - GoComics

RainMaker 03-22-2020 07:47 PM

This would help a lot.

Arles 03-22-2020 07:51 PM

Bed, Bath and Beyond stores are closing from tomorrow through April 3. I expect some other “home goods” stores will follow suit

Edward64 03-22-2020 08:02 PM

Not sure I understand Australia's approach. Shutting down except for essential businesses and ... schools.

Coronavirus: Australia to close pubs, cafes and places of worship - BBC News
Quote:

Pubs, clubs, gyms, cinemas and places of worship will be shut from midday on Monday, while restaurants and cafes will have to switch to takeaway only.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced the restrictions after a national cabinet meeting.

The number of cases in Australia has risen sharply in recent days, reaching 1,315.

New South Wales (NSW), home to Sydney, is the worst-affected state with 533 confirmed cases. Victoria, of which Melbourne is the capital, has 296 cases, while Queensland has 259.

The new restrictions will see many businesses close but supermarkets, petrol stations, pharmacies and home delivery services will continue running.

The prime minister said he wanted to keep schools open but parents would be able to keep their children at home if they wished to do so.

"I don't want to see our children lose an entire year of their education," he said.

Some states, including Victoria, have signalled that they want to close schools.

Brian Swartz 03-22-2020 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironhead
if all we have to guide us are the worst possible outcomes (hospitalization or death) it is just going to lead to continued fear. Everyone has different tolerances for risk they are willing to take in their life.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironhead
When you step back and look at those numbers is there any wonder that many people are going to treat this like the flu and try to go about their daily life like nothing has changed? (I am not one of them, for the record)

I get what you're saying here but from my perspective it basically boils down to missing the forest for the trees. Fear is natural in a situation like this, and on its own I'd say it's healthy and even useful. At a certain point, when public health officials are speaking with a virtually unanimous voice on something and advocating measures that would have been considered extreme in the past, I think there's basically a choice to either accept what they say, or to not to do so.

In terms of being comfortable in daily life - I don't see that happening until a vaccine is widely available. I'd give you a softer answer if I could, but I think that's where we are. I expect this to be a defining experience for most who live through it. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that since the Greatest Generation lived through the Great Depression and World War II, there will not have been any singular collective experience that changed the world more. I don't think it ever goes back to quite the way it was, and I don't know how exactly things will change because I don't know how bad things will get or for how long. I don't think anybody does.

It's a lot of uncertainty for sure, and that's scary. But I think it's far better than the alternative of trying to keep on top of something we have no chance of actually keeping on top of, and costing more lives in the process. I totally understand how others would come to different conclusions.

Edward64 03-22-2020 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Swartz (Post 3270754)
I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that since the Greatest Generation lived through the Great Depression and World War II, there will not have been any singular collective experience that changed the world more. I don't think it ever goes back to quite the way it was,

Yup I agree. Before now I would have said 9/11 or GR but pretty sure those will pale in comparison to what we have experienced and whats to come.

Quote:

and I don't know how exactly things will change because I don't know how bad things will get or for how long. I don't think anybody does.

I predict people will stock up on more toilet paper, hand sanitizers and n95 masks for the foreseeable future.

Mota 03-22-2020 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobodyHere (Post 3270641)
What are you going to do for funerals?

A guy at my work just had his mother die last week. How should the funeral be handled?

My mom's being moved into hospice care this week. She has stage 4 pancreatic cancer and it has totally surrounded her liver. Her eating has reduced dramatically and it is now a major thing to get her out of bed to go to the washroom. So we likely only have weeks to go.

I"m even worried about visiting her in hospice care. I'm from Toronto, and in her town, they probably perceive all of us as having the virus. Their town only has 3 cases to date. So I could see them not letting me into the place to visit.

She was a teacher in a small town and really affected the lives of a lot of people so it would have been a big funeral. However I don't think they can have a public funeral. Maybe something small for direct family only. She deserves more than that, but funerals are for the living, and we have to take into consideration the health of us.

As I said to my dad earlier today, the coronavirus is one thing. My mom's deteriorating health is another. And the stress from both is definitely more than the sum of the individual parts.

Edward64 03-22-2020 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mota (Post 3270760)
My mom's being moved into hospice care this week. She has stage 4 pancreatic cancer and it has totally surrounded her liver. Her eating has reduced dramatically and it is now a major thing to get her out of bed to go to the washroom. So we likely only have weeks to go.

I"m even worried about visiting her in hospice care. I'm from Toronto, and in her town, they probably perceive all of us as having the virus. Their town only has 3 cases to date. So I could see them not letting me into the place to visit.

She was a teacher in a small town and really affected the lives of a lot of people so it would have been a big funeral. However I don't think they can have a public funeral. Maybe something small for direct family only. She deserves more than that, but funerals are for the living, and we have to take into consideration the health of us.

As I said to my dad earlier today, the coronavirus is one thing. My mom's deteriorating health is another. And the stress from both is definitely more than the sum of the individual parts.

I'm very sorry to hear. I can't imagine what you and dad are going through. Best wishes, seriously.

miami_fan 03-22-2020 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3270752)
Not sure I understand Australia's approach. Shutting down except for essential businesses and ... schools.

Coronavirus: Australia to close pubs, cafes and places of worship - BBC News

From what I can tell, the Australian school year just started in late January. I guessing that and giving the parents an option of keeping their children at home gives him coverage. I just don't know how much of an option that really is for the parents.

GoldenEagle 03-22-2020 08:46 PM

Brian Swartz, an you please cute your source on warm weather not affecting this thing?

sterlingice 03-22-2020 08:49 PM

The Latest: China says all 39 new cases from overseas - Houston Chronicle

Quote:

China’s National Health Commission on Monday reported 39 new cases of COVID-19, all of which it says are “imported” infections in recent arrivals from overseas.

I will eat my house, brick-by-brick, if that is factually correct. Even if they did everything right, there would still be some cases that slip through the cracks, especially this close to when the quarantine was. It's just not statistically possible. Unless, of course, they were going to do the same bs like we're doing where it's impossible to get a test. Even after getting a national testing apparatus up and running a couple of months ago.

SI

RainMaker 03-22-2020 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Swartz (Post 3270624)
Yes they were, but they had drive-up testing locations ready, locations to segregate people who were infected ready, sufficient testing capacity ready, etc. way faster than we did. As in, we still don't. They still have more infections per capita than we do, but on a pure numbers basis we're getting roughly as many positives a day with limited testing right now as they have had during the entirety of the outbreak. It's simply way too late for mass testing to do any good now, the point of it is relative containment and we've lost that fight. Also, countries like that accept limiting freedom for the public good a lot easier than we do. American independent spirit or whatever you want to call it has many virtues. It also carries a cost with it. This is one of them.

I don't think you give up on testing. It's still really important to know if you have it and whether you should isolate yourself. If Rand Paul didn't have access to a test, he'd be out infecting countless people right now.

Another factor is knowing you have it and recovering. You now have antibodies and may become real valuable to society.

thesloppy 03-22-2020 09:02 PM

Quote:

Oof, that's so hard. My condolences to you and your dad. I hope you guys get as much quality time with your mom as you can.

Brian Swartz 03-22-2020 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Eagle
Brian Swartz, an you please cute your source on warm weather not affecting this thing?

I've heard mixed things on this, and I don't remember exactly where I read it - I've seen multiple sources on both sides. I think the real answer is frankly we don't know. But the idea that it doesn't is based on what we are seeing right now in warm-weather climates. I.e., Singapore and Australia are two good examples, China to a lesser extent. It averages about 65 F in China in December and the thing had no problem spreading. It's in the 70s right now in Australia, and still bad enough there with over a thousand cases that they are shutting stuff down.

It may well be that it's warm enough in the peak of summer (i.e. 80s and 90s) to make a significant difference. I do think these observations give reason to think it's not as vulnerable to heat though as your average flu is.

Brian Swartz 03-22-2020 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainmaker
It's still really important to know if you have it and whether you should isolate yourself. If Rand Paul didn't have access to a test, he'd be out infecting countless people right now.

I agree that this is still important. I just think we can't afford to do it with the PPE shortage, because I don't think knowing more about who has it is worth increased danger to medical professionals and the critically ill when the virus has no chance of being contained.

NobodyHere 03-22-2020 09:14 PM

molson 03-22-2020 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Swartz (Post 3270771)
Singapore and Australia are two good examples, China to a lesser extent. It averages about 65 F in China in December and the thing had no problem spreading. It's in the 70s right now in Australia, and still bad enough there with over a thousand cases that they are shutting stuff down.

Those observations don't tell you much without some kind of data comparison on how those locations would have fared if they were more humid, and warmer.

MIT researches (and others) thinks it spreads more slowly in warmer temperatures, in more humid air. Even within China, for example, more humid cities with higher temperatures saw a slower rate of infection than drier cities with lower temperatures.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/22/h...ronavirus.html

thesloppy 03-22-2020 10:18 PM

It's been nice here for the past week or so, but we are about to head into some extended springtime rains. I'm not concerned about the effect on the virus so much as my mood.

Lathum 03-22-2020 10:19 PM

Quote:

Jesus man. I’m sorry to hear.

CrimsonFox 03-22-2020 10:33 PM

Anyone know how Canada's response was during all this with testing and containment and such?

SirFozzie 03-22-2020 10:58 PM

Oh wow. Italy has apparently told their doctors that if you're 60 or greater, you don't get a respirator (there are just none available)

Israeli doctor in Italy: We no longer help those over 60 - The Jerusalem Post

and the US is right near or above the Italian trend right?

Carman Bulldog 03-22-2020 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrimsonFox (Post 3270785)
Anyone know how Canada's response was during all this with testing and containment and such?

Canada is at 1470 cases and 20 deaths, so good but not great (38 million people in the country for what its worth).

Prevention wise, it seems we are synched up quite a bit with America. The caveat to this however is that COVID-19 really took longer to get here. So we are implementing similar steps to the USA at the same time but we are ahead (behind?) in the curve.

I think the neighbouring relationship really helped. Once the NBA shutdown, the NHL followed suit. That forced the country to pay attention (not a joke) even though the cases and spread were minimal at that point. After the NHL shutdown, all the junior and minor leagues immediately announced they were also shutting down.

Schools in most provinces are shut down for at least a few weeks, most businesses are shut down or work from home and there's a really big push on social distancing.

The international border is essentially closed and international flights are restricted to four cities and basically comprised of incoming ex-pats. Every province is in a state of emergency, including where I live (which has about 20 cases in a 1.4 million population).

There also doesn't seem to be the same scarcity regarding testing.

Like I said, I think having the benefit of the neighbouring relationship with America but not getting hit by COVID-19 at the same time has helped us be where we are at. Otherwise I feel as if we would be closer to where America is some countries in Europe are at right now.

Brian Swartz 03-22-2020 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molson
Those observations don't tell you much without some kind of data comparison on how those locations would have fared if they were more humid, and warmer.

That's a good point. Hope this pans out and the US/Europe/whoever else can get some good respite for study and treatment improvements. I have also read that coronaviruses in general do tend to be more resistant, but SARS waned in the summer months even so. One of the rare times we can be thankful for global warming.

Brian Swartz 03-22-2020 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirFozzie
and the US is right near or above the Italian trend right?

That is both chilling and entirely expected on the respirator age limit. It's really hard to know honestly in terms of the trend. We aren't seeing nearly as many deaths and with the testing still being limited … but in terms of how the hospitals are filling up, I think we're on a slower but similar path. Can't prove it though.

*sigh* so many unknowns.

whomario 03-23-2020 03:53 AM

Jason Altmire on Twitter: "Florida still not taking #COVID19 quarantine seriously. Beach goers flocking to Ponte Vedra Beach today. #Floridalockdown… https://t.co/BgAc9ijfAS"

One can only hope it slows down by itself ...

Edward64 03-23-2020 06:39 AM

Neil Diamond playing modified Sweet Caroline.

Made me chuckle some. Some humor needed these days.

Neil Diamond Gives 'Sweet Caroline' A Less-Touchy Makeover For Coronavirus | HuffPost

Edward64 03-23-2020 06:48 AM

Is the UK still doing the herd mentality or not? This is a pretty good way to infect the herd.

Coronavirus: Tube drivers 'furious' at crowded carriages - BBC News
Quote:

London Underground passengers have been crowding onto packed Tube trains, despite warnings to minimise travel.

Pictures from Monday's rush hour show busy carriages, which unions say have left staff "furious" and make social distancing impossible.

London Mayor Sadiq Khan has urged workers to stay at home and said public transport should be used only by key workers otherwise "people will die".

Some passengers have said a reduced service means trains are busier.

Aslef union's district organiser Finn Brennan tweeted: "Still heavy loading on some Tube lines this morning making social distancing impossible.

"This is endangering the health of the vital workers who have to use the system."

He called on the government to act, adding: "I'm being sent pictures of crush loaded platforms at some Jubilee line platforms this morning.

"Drivers and other frontline staff are furious."

JAG 03-23-2020 07:42 AM

Sorry the graph is this size, but I thought it was an interesting one.

Lathum 03-23-2020 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Swartz (Post 3270565)
I think the answer on that is a clear hard no. I also think it's becoming more and more obvious that tests, once we get enough, won't even matter that much because the PPE issue is so prevalent that you have to limit who you test for that reason. Stuff is happening on that front - 3M has doubled the amount of N95 masks they produce for example - but it's not nearly enough to keep up with the need/demand. The new normal for at least a while - and while there is good news as others have said, so far the info I'm getting is that warmer weather doesn't affect this thing much - is going to be that if you aren't severely ill, don't bother going to the hospital. .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 3270569)
How does the distribution of masks factor in as well?

I have tried to distance myself from listening to the government the last few days, but I was under the impressions states are on their own to procure what they need? Will 3M sell them to the highest bidders or will there be some form of equal distribution?

Mayor of NYC was just interviewed and said massive gouging with regards to PPE. Said he spoke with the POTUS and VP and begged them to put some sort of system in place where those that need the equipment most get it. Said that they thought they had tens of millions of masks secured just to be outbid by another state/government. Also said NYC has enough ventilators to make it through the week then people will start dying who shouldn't.

PilotMan 03-23-2020 07:49 AM

The USA today article on Appalachia was spot on. Between loss of income, rampant drug use and addiction, lack of infrastructure, and now this, they are going to be much higher than typical mortality rates in these small communities.

PilotMan 03-23-2020 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 3270825)
Mayor of NYC was just interviewed and said massive gouging with regards to PPE. Said he spoke with the POTUS and VP and begged them to put some sort of system in place where those that need the equipment most get it. Said that they thought they had tens of millions of masks secured just to be outbid by another state/government. Also said NYC has enough ventilators to make it through the week then people will start dying who shouldn't.

I heard yesterday that our company had purchased 5 million single use sani-wipes, which we use all the time, and regularly have for cleaning in the cockpit and service areas, only to have the government seize them for someone else. They were able to get some small bottles of sanitizer, but you can't wipe stuff down with that.

Fidatelo 03-23-2020 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog (Post 3270794)
Canada is at 1470 cases and 20 deaths, so good but not great (38 million people in the country for what its worth).

Prevention wise, it seems we are synched up quite a bit with America. The caveat to this however is that COVID-19 really took longer to get here. So we are implementing similar steps to the USA at the same time but we are ahead (behind?) in the curve.

I think the neighbouring relationship really helped. Once the NBA shutdown, the NHL followed suit. That forced the country to pay attention (not a joke) even though the cases and spread were minimal at that point. After the NHL shutdown, all the junior and minor leagues immediately announced they were also shutting down.

Schools in most provinces are shut down for at least a few weeks, most businesses are shut down or work from home and there's a really big push on social distancing.

The international border is essentially closed and international flights are restricted to four cities and basically comprised of incoming ex-pats. Every province is in a state of emergency, including where I live (which has about 20 cases in a 1.4 million population).

There also doesn't seem to be the same scarcity regarding testing.

Like I said, I think having the benefit of the neighbouring relationship with America but not getting hit by COVID-19 at the same time has helped us be where we are at. Otherwise I feel as if we would be closer to where America is some countries in Europe are at right now.

I agree with most everything here, especially with respect to the NHL shutdown being the eye-opener for the majority of Canadians. However I feel like Ontario (Toronto) and BC (Vancouver) are in a bit rougher shape than this lets on. They are large, international hubs and got hit earlier than the rest of the country and it's showing.

I do think that our nationwide response since the NHL shutdown has been pretty solid. Our province (Manitoba) feels like it's a bit slow to react comparatively, but so far it hasn't had a hugely obvious negative impact so perhaps the response has been adequate enough.

I think the next major domino to fall will be closing of provincial borders, which will be annoying if this extends into May and beyond because my cottage is on the other side of the Manitoba/Ontario border and that would otherwise be a great place to go socially distance.

Honolulu_Blue 03-23-2020 08:32 AM

Michigan is finally going to go on lock down today. The governor was ahead of the curve when it came to certain things - like closing all schools - but she was really dragging on the "shelter in place" order. It's long overdue based on the number of cases we have.

I have taken vacations with the sole intent of living a "shelter in place" lifestyle, so I'll be fine.

AlexB 03-23-2020 08:51 AM

I haven't seen this graphic before - scroll down to the end and there's a dynamic chart showing confirmed cases on a cumulative daily basis.

The late run in the US is startling, and hopefully just because they are testing a lot more...

Coronavirus symptoms: What are they and how do I protect myself? - BBC News

panerd 03-23-2020 08:53 AM

First world problem possibly...

So our first grader's school was closed and the school district is going to teach virtually. Kudos to them, my wife and I fully expect to do the best we can with it.

We just go an email today about our twin boys who are both in pre-school in the same district. They apparently are going to try to go virtual as well. Ummm... I know we are all in this together but we pay for two things really socialization and daycare, we don't expect much academically nor do they get a whole lot academically out of it. Am I wrong to think we should not be expected to pay for April and May for "virtual learning" for 5 year olds?

whomario 03-23-2020 08:56 AM

@JAG : Does this take into consideration some sort of 'minimum occupancy' if you manage to move everybody you reasonably can ? Because other patients still need ICU beds as well.

Just read a report where the Lombardy had 640 ICU beds before this started and now 'more than 900' (remember there are limits due to space constraints as well, not just getting the equipment. You need way more Square Feet per bed). Which, again, is not the true number available for Covid19 even if you clear as much as possible you will need a decent percentage for other patients and those will be in different buildings/wings from Covid 19 patients, too. So can't swap around at will.

The last 4 days you had about 450-550 patients dying in Lombardy every day and average time from hospitalization to death is 4 days and longer for recovery. So best guess there are likely 3-4 times more patients in need of an ICU bed than available. That is just utter insanity.

Friend of mine works in an ICU and he is basically at the edge already simply knowing what might happen ...

https://www.esahq.org/esa-news/analy...hesiology-esa/

JAG 03-23-2020 09:04 AM

@whomario - I don’t know as it is not my graph. I would assume it is a very rough estimate in any event.

Warhammer 03-23-2020 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexB (Post 3270843)
I haven't seen this graphic before - scroll down to the end and there's a dynamic chart showing confirmed cases on a cumulative daily basis.

The late run in the US is startling, and hopefully just because they are testing a lot more...

Coronavirus symptoms: What are they and how do I protect myself? - BBC News

You combine late testing with a population that 6-7 times the population of Spain, and we are going to have higher numbers.

bob 03-23-2020 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panerd (Post 3270844)

So our first grader's school was closed and the school district is going to teach virtually. Kudos to them, my wife and I fully expect to do the best we can with it.

We just go an email today about our twin boys who are both in pre-school in the same district. They apparently are going to try to go virtual as well. Ummm... I know we are all in this together but we pay for two things really socialization and daycare, we don't expect much academically nor do they get a whole lot academically out of it. Am I wrong to think we should not be expected to pay for April and May for "virtual learning" for 5 year olds?

Its a spiral. If you don't pay, they can't pay their employees and bills. Not telling you what to do, but I'm trying to continue paying things short term at least. Obviously would change if I lost my job.

panerd 03-23-2020 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob (Post 3270856)
Its a spiral. If you don't pay, they can't pay their employees and bills. Not telling you what to do, but I'm trying to continue paying things short term at least. Obviously would change if I lost my job.

Yeah that's the internal debate I am having. I mean if this were a couple hundred bucks it would be a no-brainer but we are talking appox 3K over the two months. We aren't hurting right now exactly but we are definitely in the red just during normal times due to the large preschool payment. They haven't sent a bill yet for April so maybe they will have some sort of reasonable compromise anyways.

Lathum 03-23-2020 09:35 AM

Quote:

That is insane. I am far from a developmental learning specialist, but zero chance kids that age are able to garnish anything other than extreme frustration from that experience.

My almost 10 year old had an epic meltdown this morning and my almost 7 year old is struggling to stay in one place. Not a chance 5 year olds can handle it.

panerd 03-23-2020 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 3270860)
That is insane. I am far from a developmental learning specialist, but zero chance kids that age are able to garnish anything other than extreme frustration from that experience.

My almost 10 year old had an epic meltdown this morning and my almost 7 year old is struggling to stay in one place. Now a chance 5 year olds can handle it.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the only reason they are doing it is to try to continue to get payments. Like if a daycare closed there is no chance they get any money right? Not saying their teacher is at fault or her heart isn't in the right place but it has to be a money grab.

spleen1015 03-23-2020 09:39 AM

Quote:

I don't think you are wrong at all.

Lathum 03-23-2020 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob (Post 3270856)

I was wondering about this the other day. When does it become OK to ask for refunds for things such as gym memberships, etc...

Lathum 03-23-2020 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panerd (Post 3270861)
Yeah I'm pretty sure the only reason they are doing it is to try to continue to get payments. Like if a daycare closed there is no chance they get any money right? Not saying their teacher is at fault or her heart isn't in the right place but it has to be a money grab.

It totally is. The problem is if daycares by you are similar to many other places in the country there is a long wait to get into one, so if you cancel now you could be screwed. They know they have everyone over a barrel.

Will they be starting kindergarten next year? good chance they won't even be going back anyway if they are.

larrymcg421 03-23-2020 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 3270863)
I was wondering about this the other day. When does it become OK to ask for refunds for things such as gym memberships, etc...

Got an e-mail from Georgia State University today that they will be refunding people for student fees that went towards things that are now closed, such as activity fees, parking passes, or meal plans.

panerd 03-23-2020 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 3270864)
It totally is. The problem is if daycares by you are similar to many other places in the country there is a long wait to get into one, so if you cancel now you could be screwed. They know they have everyone over a barrel.

Will they be starting kindergarten next year? good chance they won't even be going back anyway if they are.

Yes kindergarten next year. I figure we did pay them for March and totally understandable that nobody saw anything happening this quickly and would never expect a refund. Mine is for April and May which I am 99.9% certain will not happen.

whomario 03-23-2020 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAG (Post 3270848)
@whomario - I don’t know as it is not my graph. I would assume it is a very rough estimate in any event.

Thought maybe the webpage from which you took it said sth about it, i kinda figured you didn't whip it up for the heck of it :D

bob 03-23-2020 09:57 AM

I think its just a decision everyone has to make with the context of their own situation.

My gym is a small one that just opened in September and have been very supportive of me during the past few months. As long as I can afford, I will continue to pay as I want them to survive as well as pay their bills in the meantime. For their part, they are posting at home exercise programs daily.