Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Yet another school shooting. (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=90787)

Arles 02-28-2018 08:47 AM

Interesting move by Dick's. Given my stance on high capacity magazines, I applaud their efforts to take steps like this even when not required by the law.

Kodos 02-28-2018 09:23 AM

Nice move, Dick's.

Edward64 02-28-2018 09:52 AM

I don't agree with it all but I understand and support it if we really think it will make a difference and start a trend.
  • Age 21 - good
  • High capacity magazines - good
  • Bump stocks - crazy that this isn't even done yet
  • Universal background checks - good
  • Database of gun buyers/owners - good
  • Close loopholes - good
Ban assault weapons - not sure what this means, devil is in the details.

Other than for magazine capacity (which is already accounted for) is there really a difference from other semi-automatic rifles? Does it really just mean we can't have semi-automatic rifles that look "tacti-cool" or allow the hookup of flashights, scope etc.

TBH, a couple other things I can live with
  • Tax on guns and ammo to increase prices
  • Longer wait periods (e.g. I can be in-and-out in 30 min with new AR-15). I can live with 60-90 days or longer TBH
  • Required basic training and annual re-certification
  • Proof there is some sort of gun safe/cabinet
  • ... etc
I am encouraged by the students really taking a stand and hope it is sustained. I don't remember this happening in prior shootings, it was basically the parents. It gives me hope that the next generation will erode the NRA political influence and real change will come in next 20-30 years.

With that said, I might buy a couple more weapons now just in case ...

Kodos 02-28-2018 10:21 AM

I hope other chains will follow suit.

QuikSand 02-28-2018 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3196871)

Actually, I think I disagree. It might be difficult to put an "assault weapon ban" into official statute or regulations, because writing up the wording precisely to anticipate every manufacturer change or model number or whatnot would be imperfect at best. Maybe the devil is in the details if you're writing legislation (though I'm inclined to think that's overblown itself).

But if Dick's stands by the point of this statement, not that hard. Someone just looks at a potential model they might sell, and can just say "nope." Much easier.

AlexB 02-28-2018 12:03 PM

Quote:

I don't agree with it all but I understand and support it if we really think it will make a difference and start a trend.
  • Age 21 - good
  • Close loopholes - good

Other than for magazine capacity (which is already accounted for) is there really a difference from other semi-automatic rifles? Does it really just mean we can't have semi-automatic rifles that don't look "tacti-cool" or allow the hookup of flashights, scope etc.

• Longer wait periods (e.g. I can be in-and-out in 30 min with new AR-15). I can live with 60-90 days or longer TBH
  • ... etc
I am encouraged by the students really taking a stand and hope it is sustained. I don't remember this happening in prior shootings, it was basically the parents. It gives me hope that the next generation will erode the NRA political influence and real change will come in next 20-30 years.

In all honesty this post amazes me after the previous few pages, in a good way I hasten to add (other than the last sentence!).

As an outsider looking in, am I wrong in thinking this level of legislation is actually way beyond what is realistically expected by the gun control lobby?

I know it’s only one person’s voice, but they are all sensible measures that I thought NRA folk and gun owners in general would never accept? If this is the “hold your line” position, there has to be a good degree of common ground here?

Schmidty 02-28-2018 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodos (Post 3196865)
Nice move, Dick's.

This made me laugh.

Edit: I didn’t mean to make light of all of this. I just found that particular sentence funny.

Ben E Lou 02-28-2018 12:22 PM

Hmmm....

REPORT SHOTS FIRED GEORGIA SCHOOL: Teacher in custody after 'shots fired' report at Dalton High School; no students in danger | WSB-TV

mckerney 02-28-2018 12:39 PM

Not going to take long for the SOROS LIBERAL DEEP STATE PAID CRISIS ACTORS CONSPIRACY folks to come out about this one, is it?

NobodyHere 02-28-2018 12:48 PM

So...umm.... let's go arm more teachers?

miked 02-28-2018 01:31 PM

Maybe he was looking for that gun bonus.

JonInMiddleGA 02-28-2018 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arles (Post 3196861)
Given my stance on high capacity magazines, I applaud their efforts to take steps like this even when not required by the law.

And given my stance on the absurdity of this sort of shit, I'll never step foot in DSG again. {shrug} Not like I spent a helluva lot of time there anyway.

JonInMiddleGA 02-28-2018 01:39 PM

As my wife (who grew up less than a half hour from there) noted earlier ... "if I had to teach in Dalton I'd probably lock myself in a room with a gun too"

JPhillips 02-28-2018 01:56 PM

I guess we can add capitalism to the list of things conservatives now oppose.

Logan 02-28-2018 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3196912)

Wonder how many times we can find something like "a company should have the right to choose what kind of business they are willing to engage in" in, I don't know, maybe the gay marriage thread?

Kodos 02-28-2018 02:29 PM

I'm certainly on the list of people who are now more likely to shop at Dick's. I always like to cancel out Jon. :)

Kodos 02-28-2018 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan (Post 3196914)
Wonder how many times we can find something like "a company should have the right to choose what kind of business they are willing to engage in" in, I don't know, maybe the gay marriage thread?

Maybe if they were gay semi-automatic (or semi-erotic) guns. Maybe they'd be colored pink or rainbow colored.

In Jon's defense, I have been known to vote with my wallet at times too. Haven't bought Yuengling beer since they supported Trump. I won't see any movie with Mel Gibson in it. Won't buy gas at a BP station.

JonInMiddleGA 02-28-2018 02:39 PM

Quote:

Isn't consumer choice rather essential to capitalism?

I'm not proposing that DSG be required to carry anything, I simply don't care to contribute to the continued existence of anyone that I have nothing but contempt left for.

How is that anti-capitalist?

JPhillips 02-28-2018 02:46 PM

Do what you want. I just think this tantrum is akin to me swearing off Kroger because they no longer sell tampons.

panerd 02-28-2018 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3196917)
Isn't consumer choice rather essential to capitalism?

I'm not proposing that DSG be required to carry anything, I simply don't care to contribute to the continued existence of anyone that I have nothing but contempt left for.

How is that anti-capitalist?

Yeah it was a bit of false equivalence to the gay wedding cake thing. In this case you are saying you won't shop there and in the other they are saying the service must be provided at the gun of the government. If you said they must provide guns or you will get the government involved than I see how it is the wedding cake thing.

I find your position absurd but not logically unsound. :)

Ben E Lou 02-28-2018 02:54 PM

Uh, yeah, I've said the same thing here many times: vote with your wallet. If you don't like someone not selling gay wedding cakes, don't shop there, and organize a boycott if you're particularly passionate about it. If you don't like someone not selling the most powerful legal weapons, don't shop there, and organize a boycott if you're particularly passionate about it. Let the free market decide.

cuervo72 02-28-2018 02:55 PM

I think a better equivalence might be if the owner of a gun shop decided they weren't going to sell anything to non-vegetarians.

panerd 02-28-2018 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuervo72 (Post 3196922)
I think a better equivalence might be if the owner of a gun shop decided they weren't going to sell anything to non-vegetarians.

Yes to the wedding cake thing, I was saying they were trying to make johns boycott of dick’s sporting goods the same as the cake thing. Jon just said he wasnt shopping there, didn’t ask for some sort of government intervention.

Arles 02-28-2018 04:05 PM

Quote:

I disagree here as well. The point of capitalism is to give people choices on who to buy things from and allow them to make their own mind for whatever reason. I chose to pay more for a wooden welcome sign because a friend of mine starting his own business made it. I could have gone to Hobby Lobby or Michaels and paid less - so you could say I opposed capitalism there. I also don't go to a local restaurant because some people I know who worked there were treated like crap. But, it gets really good reviews and many people love it. Choosing where you shop for whatever reason you feel fit is encouraged and I think most of us do this in some manner from time to time.

All that said, I still can't fathom why even hard-line conservatives wouldn't atleast be OK with magazines that hold over 30-rounds outlawed for normal citizens (but allowed at shooting ranges).

JPhillips 02-28-2018 04:20 PM

I'm not commenting on his spending, I'm mocking his tantrum about his spending.

But, hey, I'll add it to the growing pile of new "liberal" things like football.

EagleFan 02-28-2018 05:15 PM

Quote:

In case of what?

Edward64 02-28-2018 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleFan (Post 3196943)
In case of what?

If there is serious momentum, assault weapon prices will increase and will be hard to find. Isn't that a logical assumption?

miked 02-28-2018 06:57 PM

Just in case he needs to take on the military, duh!! Well regulated militia and all.

Edward64 02-28-2018 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miked (Post 3196954)
Just in case he needs to take on the military, duh!! Well regulated militia and all.

You really need to learn to keep a secret, no opsec at all.

But now that its out, not really the military, its more like the UN and/or Illuminati that I really worry about.

molson 02-28-2018 07:02 PM

What are the odds that civilization breaks down a little, at a regional or national level, in our lifetimes - due to terrorism, global warming or other environmental dangers, economic collapse, war etc? Not 0%. Firearms are a pretty good little hedge against that, both for self-defense, and as a currency. I think some people do think about that as at least a secondary justification for growing their weapons stash. I only have one handgun but if I had more money and more property I might get some more weapons. I don't want to be the only unarmed guy in Idaho if Trump starts WW III or if the world loses some signficant % of its livable land and water supply in the next few decades due to global warming.

Edward64 02-28-2018 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSand (Post 3196887)
But if Dick's stands by the point of this statement, not that hard. Someone just looks at a potential model they might sell, and can just say "nope." Much easier.

I see alot of confusion if its not defined well and it probably won't be implemented well or consistently.

We can use Dick's procurement as an example which is great but what if Walmart/BassPro/etc. procurement depts don't agree on a common definition? I think "define" it and have companies figure out if the rifle is an "assault" vs hunting/etc. weapon.

TBH, I don't know what a good definition is. Karlifornia has been trying to come up with a definition and manufacturers find a way around it.

Edward64 02-28-2018 07:19 PM

And now Walmart.

I wonder if the age limitation can hold without some sort of legislation. I'm sure there will be legal challenges.

Walmart raises minimum age for firearm purchases to 21 - Feb. 28, 2018
Quote:

Walmart will only sell guns and ammunition to people over the age of 21 from now on.

The company said in a statement Wednesday that it decided to review its firearm sales policy "in light of recent events."

"Going forward, we are raising the age restriction for purchase of firearms and ammunition to 21 years of age. We will update our processes as quickly as possible to implement this change," a statement said.

"We are also removing items from our website resembling assault-style rifles, including nonlethal airsoft guns and toys," Walmart (WMT) said. "Our heritage as a company has always been in serving sportsmen and hunters, and we will continue to do so in a responsible way."

RainMaker 02-28-2018 07:27 PM

Quote:

• Age 21 - good
  • Close loopholes - good

Other than for magazine capacity (which is already accounted for) is there really a difference from other semi-automatic rifles? Does it really just mean we can't have semi-automatic rifles that look "tacti-cool" or allow the hookup of flashights, scope etc.

• ... etc

I think the tax on guns and ammo is a good idea due to the amount of money guns cost citizens. Similar to why we should tax alcohol at high levels even if I enjoy a few drinks. Drunks take up a disproportionate amount of our police use.

As for the tacti-cool stuff, I don't really know what the function is of it for the general public. I guess I'd be OK with some people owning them, but I think you have to have some use in mind that's approved.

I'd also add that there should be more punishment for criminal activity involving guns. Those that use them in robberies for instance should be more harshly punished. Felons in possession should be harshly punished. Illegally carrying or storing them should face harsh punishment.

Right now the feds do almost nothing to stop illegal gun sales. That would help cut down on a lot of violent gang crime if they actually used their resources for that instead of worrying about what college coach is paying his basketball players.

Shkspr 02-28-2018 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3196961)
And now Walmart.

I wonder if the age limitation can hold without some sort of legislation. I'm sure there will be legal challenges.

Age isn't federally protected against discrimination, so as long as Wal-Mart's position is universal, and isn't arbitrary, it's fine. In the wake of a 19 year old shooting up a school, no court in the country is going to call a 21-year old age limit arbitrary. And the 2nd Amendment applies to Wal-Mart about as much as the 1st Amendment does.

RainMaker 02-28-2018 08:21 PM

Now we have to arm the students to keep the armed teachers in check who will keep the armed mass murderers in check.

stevew 02-28-2018 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3196908)
As my wife (who grew up less than a half hour from there) noted earlier ... "if I had to teach in Dalton I'd probably lock myself in a room with a gun too"

I'm pretty sure I went to Dalton once. Was a bit of a culture shock. It's right by Lookout Mountain? I seem to remember there was some place that had these humongous cheeseburgers

JPhillips 02-28-2018 09:44 PM

Quote:

"I know you heard the words. I just don't believe in my heart of hearts that's exactly what he meant." - Sen Tillis

Thom, be careful, you know he's going to double down on the thought soon.

Drake 02-28-2018 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 3196979)
I'm pretty sure I went to Dalton once. Was a bit of a culture shock. It's right by Lookout Mountain? I seem to remember there was some place that had these humongous cheeseburgers

I broke down on the interstate outside Dalton in 1994. Local tow guy charged me $450 for a 7-mile tow and overnight storage because I wouldn't pay his brother $1000 to replace my timing belt.

Fuck Dalton, Georgia.

Drake 02-28-2018 10:51 PM

Unrelated:

Bought the first gun I ever owned from Dick's -- a lever action .22 Henry rifle. Given what I paid for it there vs. just about anywhere else not named Cabela's, it was also the last time I set foot in a Dick's.

Quote:

As an outsider looking in, am I wrong in thinking this level of legislation is actually way beyond what is realistically expected by the gun control lobby?

I know it’s only one person’s voice, but they are all sensible measures that I thought NRA folk and gun owners in general would never accept? If this is the “hold your line” position, there has to be a good degree of common ground here?

I think you'd be likely to find that "gun owners in general" don't really line up with the NRA and the sorts of "gun guy" rants you find on YouTube (Iraqveteran8888, MrGunsnGear, Yankee Marshall, etc.) That said, the YouTube crowd has been bending over backwards all week to denounce the soft stance of the NRA and President Trump.

My general rule is that if you find yourself to the right of the NRA on gun issues, you should probably just accept that you're no longer part of the mainstream culture. (Which is not to say that should deter them from their positions, just that they can't simultaneously claim to speak from a position of cultural authority. I like to have a balance between the left-wing gun-grabbers and right-wing gun extremists, because it gives the rest of us a reasonable place to settle somewhere in the middle.)

stevew 02-28-2018 11:57 PM

I hate Dick's cause their corporate HQ is adjacent to the Pittsburgh Airport. All their employees park over there and take Uber|Lyft when they go on vacation. Nothing like waiting 1hr+ in the Airport Queue to get a $5 ride and go back to the end of the line. Arguably a cab is the same price. So fuck Dick's

NobodyHere 03-01-2018 05:56 PM

Well this is odd

Georgia teacher who fired gun in classroom previously told police he hired hitmen, report says

Shkspr 03-02-2018 10:41 AM

Sigh.

(tiredly flips the number on the board back to 'zero')

miami_fan 03-02-2018 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shkspr (Post 3197132)
Sigh.

(tiredly flips the number on the board back to 'zero')

Nah, we are still good. This one was just domestic violence that happened to take place at school.

PilotMan 03-02-2018 11:25 AM

Yep

Edward64 03-02-2018 12:27 PM

Nice momentum so far ... Blackrock below. Krogers owned Fred Myers, LL Bean not selling to under 21, Delta etc.

Not really sure how much of this will really help but corporate America is getting (the beginnings of) a social conscience re: guns which is good.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/02/blac...influence.html
Quote:

The world's largest money manager is breaking its silence on the nation's current gun debate.

In a client update outlining its approach to the gun industry on Friday, BlackRock said last month's deadly shooting at a Florida high school has driven home for the firm the "terrible toll from gun violence" in this country, something that "requires response and action from a wide range of entities across both the public and private sectors."

That includes, it says, possibly voting against directors or against management on shareholder proposals. The firm said it has been working with customers to help them explore options for changing their investments to exclude gun industry stocks and is exploring ideas for new funds, including index funds that specifically exclude firearms makers and retailers.

Thomkal 03-02-2018 12:32 PM

Well the NRA and Trump had a long meeting last night, so I'm sure he's changed his mind again...

Groundhog 03-02-2018 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomkal (Post 3197149)
Well the NRA and Trump had a long meeting last night, so I'm sure he's changed his mind again...

Probably 2.5 hours of massaging his ego, and closing with "so, being the greatest president of our lives, if not of all time, it is obviously your call, but we feel the status quo is probably the best strategy going forward."

Logan 03-05-2018 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3197147)
Nice momentum so far ... Blackrock below. Krogers owned Fred Myers, LL Bean not selling to under 21, Delta etc.

Not really sure how much of this will really help but corporate America is getting (the beginnings of) a social conscience re: guns which is good.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/02/blac...influence.html

Only 13 NRA members used Delta’s discount. Ending it cost the airline a $40 million tax break.

Edward64 03-05-2018 10:33 AM

It seemed like a worthless political statement from Delta.

Go donate free flights to relatives, give money to the families for treatment, donate to mental health, give to the PAC that are anti-gun etc.

digamma 03-05-2018 11:58 AM

Counterpoint: the NRA felt strongly enough to tout it as a corporate partnership for their "5 million" members, even though only 13 had ever used it.