Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Custom Roster & Game Plan Project (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=97289)

triplykely 03-19-2021 02:22 PM

Custom Roster & Game Plan Project

*edit - Custom *Playbook & Game Plan Project

We all recently received the bittersweet news that FOF8.4 will be the final version of a 20+ year franchise we've all enjoyed. Shortly before the announcement I began recording myself playing FOF as content for this great game is sparse. One of the projects I took on was to create a new playbook from scratch. The goals of the project were to create a universal playbook that was capable of being tweaked to any team personnel and optimized to get the most out of players. While most of the testing was done using the game plan generator and simulating the same season multiple times, I also began a SP run calling all of my plays where further testing took place.

My initial thoughts were to also create several 58 play (least amount of OC plays) game plans for common team personnel to accompany the release of the playbook. Unfortunately - or fortunately depending on perspective - I'm having too much fun calling my own plays (and am still gaining insight into the sim engine from it) to manually craft game plans.

The results have been good, and since the playbook is all but finished, I figured I'd release it for anyone who uses Rex or just want to check it out up close. While I do plan on following through creating game plans to go with the playbook, I have no idea on their timetable and thought it might be fun for others to make/post game plans for this playbook.

It's entirely possible I'm overestimating the time anyone spends or is willing to spend on FOF and toying with game plans for a playbook they didn't make, but since the only playbooks one can find for FOF are old and less effective than mine, here it is.

This video is the latest in the playlist where I capture most of the process of making and testing the playbook. As I mentioned, in the SP run where I call my own plays I've done more testing as well.

While I go over the playbook in the video above, below are some quick points for reference:

Sections
C - Core plays, plays for every team personnel focusing on a primary HB and targeting X, Y, Z in the passing game
A - Pass plays for the HB - predominately the 113 but also 122 incase your HB2 is a better receiver
B - Pass plays for the FB roughly matchup a quarter of the options for X, Y, Z, allowing you to target the FB if you want
R - Pass plays for the R matching available options for X, Y, Z allowing you to heavily target R if you want
S - Pass plays for the S roughly matching half of the options for X, Y, Z, allowing you to target S consistently if you want
T - Pass plays for T roughly matching half of the options for X, Y, Z, allowing you to target S consistently if you want
M - More run plays, 25 additional runs to the 25 in the core plays but focused on the 122 instead of 113
Q - QB runs for when you have a fast QB
G - Gadget plays, exclusively counters and reverses (the only 2 FB run plays are here)

RB Carry Distribution
HB1 113
HB2 122
HB3 104, 131
Gadget/Scat Back - 212, 221, 230

Anecdotal Observations
-Reverses seem to work best on 3rd & 5-7 and 2nd & 13-15 against the AI - in MP if your opponent Rex's defense this should also hold true
-When constructing you available run plays, roughly 20% M, 15% G, 30% T, 30% E seems near optimal for direction
-While I'm confident in the thinking behind primary and secondary route pairings, I need to do more testing on the exact combinations
-The playbook itself is roughly 40% play action which seems about right from testing and comparing to my old playbook, and in-game it appears play action can be set up and that it hurts on obvious passing downs
-More I forgot and will add when I remember

Hopefully this helps or provides a little experimental fun for anyone, and if you make a game plan you like please share it and I'll add it to this post. Since there won't be any changes to the sim engine, multiple heads playing with and discussing it could really help a big project I'm working on that's still in it's infancy. Regardless, thanks for everyone who's followed along with my potato videos and if you like consistent FOF content please subscribe.

Ternvig 03-20-2021 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triplykely (Post 3330575)
It's entirely possible I'm overestimating the time anyone spends or is willing to spend on FOF

Nope... :)

Thanks for all of this this and especially your insights on reverse plays on 2nd and 3th.

tzach 03-20-2021 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triplykely (Post 3330575)
Unfortunately - or fortunately depending on perspective - I'm having too much fun calling my own plays (and am still gaining insight into the sim engine from it) to manually craft game plans.

nice, once you go down that rabbit hole there's no way back hehe

just to say that i enjoy a lot your videos, thanks a lot for that

triplykely 03-20-2021 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ternvig (Post 3330686)
Nope... :)

Thanks for all of this this and especially your insights on reverse plays on 2nd and 3th.

Ha, I suppose one must be a bit nerdy to enjoy a text sim - hope you enjoy playing around with it. And regarding reverses, I should note, I believe its a combination of personnel and situation that leads to them working better on 2nd & 13-15 and 3rd & 5-7. Typically I'm using the 005, 104, or 014 reverse and Rex uses a lot of Cover 3 and Cover 4 for those personnel groups in normal and long situations.
Quote:

Originally Posted by tzach (Post 3330687)
nice, once you go down that rabbit hole there's no way back hehe

just to say that i enjoy a lot your videos, thanks a lot for that

That's a fact. Its fun simulating many seasons but the games are much more immersive calling all the plays. Glad you're enjoying enjoying the videos - digging through some of your IHOF all passing game logs helped me hypothesize and test some things I'm now near certain of regarding the sim engine.

Stanley92 04-25-2021 05:00 PM

This really helps a lot.
So big thanks

Get to dig into this. :popcorn:

Nemesis 04-25-2021 07:17 PM

https://gofile.io/d/cWch9V

"This upload does not exist"

Got a fresh copy of this? :)

Willbe 05-17-2021 12:42 AM

I can't access the file for the playbook. any way you could reupload it

triplykely 05-17-2021 01:04 PM

Due to time constraints I had to abandon a consultant position in an MP league with Landshark44. Even though I had released this playbook before he used it, he currently does use it and I wouldn't feel right releasing it now. If he sees this and says he doesn't mind then I'll throw up a new link.

Landshark44 05-17-2021 06:21 PM

i don't mind at all....

triplykely 05-18-2021 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landshark44 (Post 3336477)
i don't mind at all....

Right on, here you go everyone

Nemesis 06-06-2021 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triplykely (Post 3336500)

lol it's gone again