Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   COVID-19 - Wuhan Coronavirus (a non-political thread, see pg. 36 #1778) (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=96561)

tarcone 03-23-2020 06:56 PM

A woman in her 30s died in St. Louis. A 44 year old Marathoner is on a ventilator in Illinois.

I think this thing may be mutating and getting stronger.

2 more counties that border mine issued stay at home orders. My county just got their first case. But just decided to close non-essential businesses. Assuming the stay at home order will come soon.

RainMaker 03-23-2020 07:00 PM

I don't know if that's the case. Viruses tend to weaken over time.

This isn't the flu. While it hurts older people more, the mortality rate among people in their 30's and 40's is still somewhat scary.

For people in their 40's, the mortality rate is 0.4%. That's 1 in every 250 people who come down with it will die. 1 in every 500 in their 30's will die.

When you have hundreds of thousands of cases across the country, we're going to see more stories like that.

Brian Swartz 03-23-2020 07:02 PM

Agree with Rainmaker. In Italy, they have significant numbers in the 20s-50s, not as much as the elderly but still. CDC report from last week that I previously cited; 38% of the early hospitalizations in the US were 20-54 age group.

whomario 03-23-2020 07:11 PM

Yeah, people really underestimate a) how many young people have underlying conditions of some sort and b) that even 0.3/0.4 is quite a lot for a respiratory illness. The flu really is harmless compared to this, not least because there is medication available. Here all you can do is put people on a ventilator and pump them full of antibiotics and steroids to stregthen other systems/prevent bacterial infection and then hope for the best).

Young peope survive a lot more often since their immune system and lungs/heart are stronger, but even then being put on a ventilator is likely a harrowing ordeal.

That being said, taking a few cases and seeing it as a sign of mutation is not going to be a healthy mindset considering how often info will change still because the science community simply cant work miracles.

RainMaker 03-23-2020 07:21 PM

Put it this way. The mortality rate for the flu in ages 18-49 is 0.02%. That means this virus is 10 times deadlier to someone in their 30's and 20 times deadlier to someone in their 40's.

Edward64 03-23-2020 07:21 PM

Yeah, this guy should lose his privilege to carry.

Afraid Of Coronavirus, GA Man Points Gun At Women Wearing Masks | Alpharetta, GA Patch
Quote:

ALPHARETTA, GA — Alpharetta Police arrested a man Sunday for pointing a gun at a woman and her granddaughter for "fear of catching the coronavirus."

Alpharetta Police Sgt. Howard Miller said officers received a call about a person pulling a gun on others at the post office, 4575 Webb Bridge Rd. Officers responded and found both victims, a woman and her adult granddaughter, unharmed. The suspect had left prior to officers arriving.

The women said they were both wearing medical masks and gloves when they entered the post office. They were met by a man who pulled out a handgun, pointed it at both of them, and yelled at them to get back, Miller said. The man then left the building and drove away in his vehicle.

One of the victims was able to get the license plate number of the man's car. Officers went to his house, confronted him in his driveway where he surrendered before taken into custody. He was armed with a holstered firearm at the time of his arrest, police said.

Miller said he cannot go into specific details involving the interview with the suspect, but did say the man admitted to officers that he pointed his gun at the victims "in fear of catching the coronavirus."

Edward64 03-23-2020 07:26 PM

Getting back to whether cruise lines should get bail outs.

If true, I'm inclined to put the non-US companies way down on the priority list or not at all.

Don’t bail out the cruise industry - The Verge
Quote:

They’re not really US companies. Carnival Corporation is incorporated in Panama. Royal Caribbean is incorporated in Liberia. Norwegian Cruise Line is incorporated in Bermuda. These three cruise companies combine to make up around 70 percent or more of the global cruise ship market, depending on how you measure it. And while they operate offices in Miami, Florida, they are all incorporated in countries with very different labor, tax, and other laws than those of the US. Their ships fly flags of these countries, too. What’s more, a large number of cruise ship employees are from Europe, the Caribbean islands, and the Philippines. These companies are not big job creators for US citizens in the way that other bailout targets like Boeing or airlines like Delta, United, and American are. Also...

They pay basically zero federal income tax. With all of that in mind, it shouldn’t surprise many people that these big cruise companies essentially pay no federal income tax in the US. True, each company is actually a conglomeration of a bunch of smaller companies, and there are some cases where their subsidiaries might be subject to federal (and state) income tax laws. But most of those entities don’t have to pay, thanks to Section 883 of the Internal Revenue Code, which exempts:

Gross income derived by a corporation organized in a foreign country from the international operation of a ship or ships if such foreign country grants an equivalent exemption to corporations organized in the United States.

molson 03-23-2020 07:31 PM

And cruise ships pose no value to society. If it takes them a year or more to figure their shit out and re-structure, no real harm done. We don't have that luxury with the airlines.

RainMaker 03-23-2020 07:33 PM

You can look up the fleet and see which flag each cruise line flies. For instance, Carnival flies the flag for Panama, Bahamas, and Malta. Not one cruise ship flies an American flag.

Also as mentioned, most of the labor is not American citizens. And I don't consider cruise ships a vital industry like you can make the case it is for airlines.

Carnival Cruise Line - Wikipedia

Atocep 03-23-2020 07:35 PM

Washington issues a stay at home

RainMaker 03-23-2020 07:37 PM

miked 03-23-2020 07:48 PM

Too bad they are willing to die to save our economy, but I'm sure unwilling to cut pollution to save the planet for their grandchildren.

cartman 03-23-2020 07:50 PM

fuck you Dan Patrick

Lathum 03-23-2020 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 3271095)

I don't even know what to say.

We can talk butterfly effect, etc...but what is happening now will have almost no bearing on our kids financial status. Pretty sure if given the choice they would choose extra time with their grandparents. Even if it meant Mom and Dad have some struggles.

JonInMiddleGA 03-23-2020 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartman (Post 3271099)
fuck you Dan Patrick

I couldn't figure out for the life of me what a washed up former ESPN talker suddenly had to do with this.

tarcone 03-23-2020 07:54 PM

I think we should err on the side of this is stronger than we thought. We need an overreaction to counter the lack of reaction we had the 1st month of this virus.

CU Tiger 03-23-2020 07:55 PM

S.C. governor issues a notice to arrest any gathering of 3 or more non related people.

Lathum 03-23-2020 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CU Tiger (Post 3271103)
S.C. governor issues a notice to arrest any gathering of 3 or more non related people.

and do what with them?

thesloppy 03-23-2020 08:04 PM

Ticket/fine is considered an arrest, I think.

Lathum 03-23-2020 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesloppy (Post 3271109)
Ticket/fine is considered an arrest, I think.

makes sense

miami_fan 03-23-2020 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 3271063)

I am not a doctor so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Please stop randomly taking chloroquine phosphate

Thanks

Mota 03-23-2020 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miami_fan (Post 3271111)

Thanks

But did he avoid getting the COVID? I need to know.

molson 03-23-2020 08:37 PM

You live to your 60s - played little league, fell in love, had your heart broken, graduate high school, get your first job, travel a little, go to weddings and funerals, lose touch with friends and make new ones, learn from mistakes, fall and get back up again, start to think about retirement.....and then one day you die because you drink fish tank cleaner solution. What a world.

Jas_lov 03-23-2020 08:41 PM

Did they drink it because Trump talked about it as a cure?

Lathum 03-23-2020 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jas_lov (Post 3271115)

You think someone dumb enough to do that is researching the cure on their own?

JPhillips 03-23-2020 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jas_lov (Post 3271115)

There's an audio interview with the wife who is in the hospital and it's heartbreaking.

Arles 03-23-2020 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miami_fan (Post 3271111)

Thanks

He took the wrong stuff. hydroxychloroquine Is the drug, not chloroquine phosphate. Still, checking with a doc is the prudent move before taking anything

Lathum 03-23-2020 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3271119)
There's an audio interview with the wife who is in the hospital and it's heartbreaking.

you have a link?

JPhillips 03-23-2020 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 3271122)
you have a link?

Warhammer 03-23-2020 09:53 PM

So according to other articles, it is hydrochloroquine they are distributing and he took something else on his own volition. And that is Trump's fault. He has a lot of other to nail him on rather than this...

Butter 03-23-2020 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warhammer (Post 3271127)
And that is Trump's fault. He has a lot of other to nail him on rather than this...

LOL

JPhillips 03-23-2020 09:59 PM

This is why you don't tout a miracle cure with no evidence. Yes, they should have not taken it, but statistically, it's inevitable that someone is going to do this.

IlliniCub 03-23-2020 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3271123)

He took the version they use to clean fish aquariums I believe..... not the version for human consumption

RainMaker 03-23-2020 10:25 PM

Honestly, if you're taking medical advice from the guy with all the evidence that is out there about him, you made your own bed.

panerd 03-23-2020 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3271131)
This is why you don't tout a miracle cure with no evidence. Yes, they should have not taken it, but statistically, it's inevitable that someone is going to do this.

LOL. Sometimes I cant tell if you are serious but you cant be serious can you? This idiot wasnt even sick and drank fish tank cleaner. Darwin award nominee, not heart breaking in the least and not inevitable either. Not at all inevitable.

Trump said wash your hands to avoid COVID. I washed them with battery acid. Lets get me on the news to blame Trump. It was inevitable someone would do this!

panerd 03-23-2020 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 3271136)
Honestly, if you're taking medical advice from the guy with all the evidence that is out there about him, you made your own bed.

Add the fact that he didnt even take medicine, he took fish tank cleaner.

Lathum 03-23-2020 11:10 PM

The bottom line is social media has completely jumped the shark with treatments and prevention for covid 19. Every other post is someone sharing some sketchy article about a miracle cure or prevention.

thesloppy 03-23-2020 11:18 PM

There is some...uhhh irony?...that this particular crisis is hitting all of our weak points, like healthcare, (in)credulous boomers, safety net, unemployment compensation, homeless, rent costs, infrastructure, supply chain, stuffed prisons, foreign reliance, pharma costs, etc. It seems tailor designed for all the shit we've been collectively ignoring.

It's a shame that we can't have a progressive president, or nominee, at the time when we most need progressive measures. I wonder if the Dem primary would have gone differently had this hit a month earlier. Both Biden and Trump have campaigns practically built around returning to some vision of our past, which will probably appeal to plenty of people even more, but seems like the worst possible response to this crisis.

Neon_Chaos 03-24-2020 01:54 AM

Day 8 of Enhanced Community Quarantine here in the Philippines.

So far so good, crime is down, most people appear to be following instructions. Most everyone that can work from home is working from home. Only one person per household is allowed to go outside and buy groceries/essentials. Kinda tough to impose on one island of 40 million people, but hopefully it slows this thing down enough to allow our medical frontliners breathing room.

We've already had a COVID fatality in my suburb, so sad.

We don't have enough testing kits, so we're just at 500 confirmed positive cases in the country with 33 confirmed deaths... but that number is definitely higher.

The tropical heat in the country isn't affecting this thing at all, it seems.

Hope you all are staying safe and keeping your family and friends safe.

RainMaker 03-24-2020 02:35 AM

Good article on how South Korea did it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/23/w...ten-curve.html

sterlingice 03-24-2020 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3271101)
I couldn't figure out for the life of me what a washed up former ESPN talker suddenly had to do with this.

I'd rather a washed up former ESPN talker be our Lieutenant Governor than that imbecile.

SI

cuervo72 03-24-2020 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesloppy (Post 3271141)
There is some...uhhh irony?...that this particular crisis is hitting all of our weak points, like healthcare, (in)credulous boomers, safety net, unemployment compensation, homeless, rent costs, infrastructure, supply chain, stuffed prisons, foreign reliance, pharma costs, etc. It seems tailor designed for all the shit we've been collectively ignoring.

Given this list, what haven't we been ignoring?

Edward64 03-24-2020 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos (Post 3271146)
Day 8 of Enhanced Community Quarantine here in the Philippines.

So far so good, crime is down, most people appear to be following instructions. Most everyone that can work from home is working from home. Only one person per household is allowed to go outside and buy groceries/essentials. Kinda tough to impose on one island of 40 million people, but hopefully it slows this thing down enough to allow our medical frontliners breathing room.

We've already had a COVID fatality in my suburb, so sad.

We don't have enough testing kits, so we're just at 500 confirmed positive cases in the country with 33 confirmed deaths... but that number is definitely higher.

The tropical heat in the country isn't affecting this thing at all, it seems.

Hope you all are staying safe and keeping your family and friends safe.

Hang in there. I visited Manila and Palawan, beautiful country and people, wish you guys the best.

Edward64 03-24-2020 07:42 AM

Yeah, no sh*t it's been postponed you dumb f*cks. Go join the WHO who delayed calling it a Pandemic.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/24/sport...ntl/index.html
Quote:

Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Thomas Bach agreed Tuesday to postpone the Olympics by about one year.

Abe put the suggestion to Bach, who agreed that the latest date the Olympics will be held is summer 2021.

JPhillips 03-24-2020 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panerd (Post 3271138)
LOL. Sometimes I cant tell if you are serious but you cant be serious can you? This idiot wasnt even sick and drank fish tank cleaner. Darwin award nominee, not heart breaking in the least and not inevitable either. Not at all inevitable.

Trump said wash your hands to avoid COVID. I washed them with battery acid. Lets get me on the news to blame Trump. It was inevitable someone would do this!

In this time of crisis, who will think of the poor con-man?

ISiddiqui 03-24-2020 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Swartz (Post 3271070)
It's more the lack of national unity (and I'm not just saying politically here, but at every level) that is really a huge threat to our response.

Part of the issue here (as opposed to a stimulus package) is our system of government. The President simply CAN'T do a nationwide shelter in place (Constitutionally speaking). And Governors are all over the map on it.

panerd 03-24-2020 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3271164)
In this time of crisis, who will think of the poor con-man?

You have dived into Obama's birth certificate isnt real territory with the heart breaking link to the guys wife who ate fish aquarium chemicals but to each their own I guess.

Butter 03-24-2020 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panerd (Post 3271170)
You have dived into Obama's birth certificate isnt real territory with the heart breaking link to the guys wife who ate fish aquarium chemicals but to each their own I guess.

You guys have really lowered the bar on what you expect from the President. I guess you want us to apologize for not doing so, but personally I won't.

He shouldn't be up there touting miracle cures, period. How much better is he than Jim Bakker, really?

panerd 03-24-2020 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter (Post 3271171)
You guys have really lowered the bar on what you expect from the President. I guess you want us to apologize for not doing so, but personally I won't.

He shouldn't be up there touting miracle cures, period. How much better is he than Jim Bakker, really?

I thought there have been pages upon pages of this thread devoted to how South Korea is handling this and we aren't? South Korea uses this and it may be effective, not exactly magic beans? But good thing JPhillips is on top of worrying about a person that didn't even have COVID19 but went ahead and chose to take his own concoction and died. Useful.

Edward64 03-24-2020 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panerd (Post 3271173)
I thought there have been pages upon pages of this thread devoted to how South Korea is handling this and we aren't? South Korea uses this and it may be effective, not exactly magic beans? But good thing JPhillips is on top of worrying about a person that didn't even have COVID19 but went ahead and chose to take his own concoction and died. Useful.

I agree with you. Because other western-like countries are exploring hydrochloroquine and others, we should be doing the same. I also don't think we can blame Trump on this particular act of Darwin award stupidity.

Trump should be messaging "hope". He thinks he's doing this with his out-of-context statements (with Fauci rolling his eyes behind him). Instead, he should be providing context and saying:
"... hydrochloroquine (and others) has anecdotally shown to be effective. However, we need to go through the process to confirm this. That is why I've asked the CDC/Fauci/Birx to create a specific task force to expedite these studies. We will give you an update on our progress on X date"
My question is how difficult is it to do double-blind tests with these drugs? It would seem with the urgency that we would have some sort of "indicative results" already. Sad to say but there would be no lack of human volunteers.