Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   who covers the te and rb in a true 3-4 (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=97493)

mac88 06-17-2021 06:45 PM

who covers the te and rb in a true 3-4

Hey everybody, does the slb normally cover the te in a true 3-4? Is there a diagram as to who covers who anywhere? I never really looked into it, thanks!

Ushikawa 06-18-2021 08:43 AM

it doesn't really work that way...there is no x-axis or even assignments in coverage

the defender is assigned via probability and where they are playing: man/bump, short zone or deep zone

this is based on my small data study

user name 06-19-2021 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ushikawa (Post 3338040)
it doesn't really work that way...there is no x-axis or even assignments in coverage

the defender is assigned via probability and where they are playing: man/bump, short zone or deep zone

Is it possible for you to expand on this some? Does that include the game plan option to put your best cb on their best wr?

QuikSand 06-19-2021 06:45 PM

I think the most useful way to think about systems like this in FOF is to somewhat forget what you know about real football, and think of it as a math exercise (designed to simulate the real thing).

So, in real football... sure, the left side CB is man-up with the WR on that side, and has primary coverage there. But the whole scheme counts, too... if the free safety on that side gets pulled off his secondary coverage duty, it changes the play. On a certain level, the whole defensive structure matters, even for just those two guys "on an island."

So, in FOF... coverage is probably best thought of as a "cloud" function, where a soup is developed including the relevant ratings for multiple players. In doing so, the game probably recognizes a certain defender as key/central/whatever, and maybe his coverage rating/s get used extra, maybe a lot extra, as a modifier to this "cloud" calculation.

So... on a pass over the middle to the TE... the game seems deliberately likely to select your SLB as the central defender for that play. He'll get assigned the catch allowed if it happens, and if the play merits an internal dice-roll for specific events like a pass defensed, it will be that guy's ratings used (in whole or in large part). I think that, in this game, is as close to "the Sam covers the tight end" as we are going to get.

mac88 06-22-2021 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ushikawa (Post 3338040)

thanks ush!