Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Hello Mr...er Mrs. Jenner? (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=89846)

Thomkal 01-31-2015 08:39 AM

Hello Mr...er Mrs. Jenner?

What a bizarre story here.

65 yo Olympic Champion Bruce Jenner in the process of becoming a woman:

Bruce Jenner Is 'Transitioning into a Woman' Source Confirms to PEOPLE : People.com

Kodos 01-31-2015 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodos (Post 2996328)
It occurred to me this morning that Bruce Jenner would fit in perfectly in a John Irving novel.

Julio Riddols 01-31-2015 10:02 AM

If you can't beat em, join em.

Suicane75 01-31-2015 01:19 PM

Dude's gonna get his dick chopped off and he's still the most normal one in the family.

stevew 01-31-2015 07:04 PM

This has been rumoured for awhile now. He's pretty close to the finish line now. I don't get it, but whateva.

korme 01-31-2015 10:23 PM

Eh, it is what it is. One of my favorite rockstars ever did the whole transition thing. And she is still a bad ass rocker. Laura Jane Grace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edward64 01-31-2015 11:00 PM

I played MULE & 7 Cities of Gold. Reminds me of Dan Bunten. I can't imagine this turning out well if he is constantly in the limelight.

Danielle Bunten Berry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:

Danielle Bunten Berry (February 19, 1949 – July 3, 1998),[1] born Daniel Paul Bunten, and also known as Dan Bunten, was an American game designer and programmer, known for the 1983 game M.U.L.E. (one of the first influential multiplayer games), and 1984's The Seven Cities of Gold.

Thomkal 02-07-2015 07:30 PM

And now it turns tragic:

Reports: Bruce Jenner survives deadly multi-car crash near Los Angeles | Sporting News

Supposedly Bruce is ok

Pyser 02-07-2015 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by korme (Post 2996870)
Eh, it is what it is. One of my favorite rockstars ever did the whole transition thing. And she is still a bad ass rocker. Laura Jane Grace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

she had a show on aol too: http://on.aol.com/show/518250660-true-trans/518451031

Grammaticus 02-08-2015 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomkal (Post 2998636)

Supposedly Jenner caused the accident and rear ended a lady's car pushing it into traffic, killing the driver.

Five children and two adults were hospitalized with injuries, authorities said.

Fidatelo 02-08-2015 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grammaticus (Post 2998753)
Supposedly Jenner caused the accident and rear ended a lady's car pushing it into traffic, killing the driver.

Five children and two adults were hospitalized with injuries, authorities said.

Probably doing his makeup while he drove.

cthomer5000 02-08-2015 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomkal (Post 2998636)

He must be close to finished with the transition, because he's already driving like a woman.

(I am a bad person and I am going to go to hell )

Kodos 02-09-2015 05:46 PM

Funny, nonetheless.

stevew 04-25-2015 02:59 PM

wow, that interview special did a 5.2 rating and almost 17 million viewers.

digamma 04-25-2015 04:33 PM

I thought the interview was fascinating. Particularly amazing that he told all three of his wives of his tendencies fairly early in their relationship. What a struggle.

I thought the talking points tweets from Kris Jenner and her minions afterwards were pretty lame.

LastWhiteSoxFanStanding 04-25-2015 05:39 PM

Waiting for the Grantland article.

albionmoonlight 04-25-2015 08:21 PM

In 1976, if you would have told someone that Bruce Jenner was becoming a woman, and that he was currently most famous for having married the ex-wife of the lawyer who defended O.J. Simpson in his double murder trial . . . they probably would have had a hard time believing you.

TexasT 04-25-2015 09:40 PM

Sad, sad man

Ryche 04-25-2015 09:55 PM

All the power to him but I just don't care. This is receiving far too much coverage.

miami_fan 04-25-2015 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasT (Post 3023195)
Sad, sad man

Err, uhhh, wrong thread for this word

Izulde 04-25-2015 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryche (Post 3023198)
All the power to him but I just don't care. This is receiving far too much coverage.

It's receiving about the amount of coverage it should, IMO. Former gold medalist at one point considered one of the greatest athletes on the planet, yet still a celebrity today (for whatever reason) formally declaring he's transgender (FWIW he said to use he and him for now) is huge news.

I don't know if you've ever known anyone who is transgender, but from what I've heard, it's one of the roughest situations one can go through in life. Imagine being born as one gender, but feeling your whole entire life that you're another gender. That's a heavy fucking load to carry by one's self alone, let along the impact it has on the people around you, especially given that transgender is, IMO, one of the most misunderstood types of people in America. I myself don't pretend to begin to understand it, and it's only gradually that I came to accept it as something that is.*

*Note: I should add that I myself am in no way, shape, or form transgender. I'm a dude and I'm flipping thrilled to be a dude.

This is important for the same reason every other celebrity who is outside the societal average coming out and telling the world that no, they don't match up with what society thinks or says that they should be. That's critically important, particularly for those kids who are struggling with gender identity or their sexuality. Seeing famous people who are in the same situation gives them some measure of hope, no matter how small, that they're okay, and that life can get better for them.

This.shit.matters.

Vince, Pt. II 04-25-2015 10:51 PM

I agree, Izulde. I've recently come tangentially in contact with two women (friends of friends) who have lost their marriages because their husbands have publicly started transitioning. One was completely out of the blue, while the other was open about their leanings - he was an open cross dresser, among other things - but had specifically said that he had no desire to transition (that obviously changed).

It has been brutally difficult for both of the women (I don't know the men who transitioned at all). The one who was blasted out of left field immediately (and understandably) broke off all contact. The other tried to maintain a relationship - she is bi-sexual, and figured that he was her best friend before, why should that change? Unfortunately, things quickly went sour.

I'm only barely associated with either of them, and it's been tough to watch. I can't imagine how hard it must be for the people who are actually transitioning. It's quite the mind altering experience even for me - and I have several LGB friends, so it's not as if alternative lifestyles are a foreign thing to me.

I think having a very well known persona doing this in public is huge for exposure, familiarity and normalization of what is an alien concept to the vast majority of the populace.

Radii 04-25-2015 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Izulde (Post 3023206)
This.shit.matters.

+1 (to everything else you said, not just that quote), I get the feeling that this is a really big positive for a small, but probably larger than most people realize, demographic.

stevew 04-25-2015 11:57 PM

As long as Kris doesn't try to make money off it someway I'm fine

EagleFan 04-26-2015 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 3023218)
As long as Kris doesn't try to make money off it someway I'm fine

That is what she is all about.

Ryche 04-26-2015 12:23 AM

I have no doubt that it's a difficult process, but really, he has had zero relevancy in the last 3 decades outside being married to a Kris. Chaz Bono's transformation was more interesting to me.

Honestly, my lack of interest in this whole thing is likely tainted by the association with the Kardashians. I just don't get anything as far as their popularity.

LaStarza61 04-26-2015 01:11 AM

I've always been interested in him just because he graduated from the same college I went to for a couple of years (Graceland University). I was there 6 years after he graduated.

Anyway... to me it had seemed over the past several years that he had become pretty much a joke. I have to say that I have much more respect for him now than I did before watching that interview. I wish only the best for him going forward and hope he finds happiness. I even actually felt kind of sad that it was the last time we'll hear from him as Bruce. It was like saying goodbye.

JonInMiddleGA 04-26-2015 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 3023157)
wow, that interview special did a 5.2 rating and almost 17 million viewers.

America loves a trainwreck.

A celebrity (even D or E List) trainwreck even more.

CraigSca 04-26-2015 05:55 PM

I didn't watch this and I think it's kind of cool that I don't really care beyond hoping that he/she finds happiness.

It's amazing to think however, how much we've changed as a country. Back when I was growing up in the late 70s and early 80s I know I wouldn't have the same indifference.

albionmoonlight 04-27-2015 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigSca (Post 3023341)
I didn't watch this and I think it's kind of cool that I don't really care beyond hoping that he/she finds happiness.

It's amazing to think however, how much we've changed as a country. Back when I was growing up in the late 70s and early 80s I know I wouldn't have the same indifference.

Yeah. The general reaction I've seen has either been "good for Jenner!" or "Why should we care so much?" or "I just want to take this opportunity to mention how loathsome Kris Kardashian is."

All of which are perfectly natural reactions. But I have not seen any general disgust or hatred of Jenner out there for coming out this way. (I am sure it exists, but it has not bubbled to the surface of my admittedly superficial following of the interview). But had this happened in the 80's? I think that there would have been near universal condemnation.

Kodos 04-27-2015 08:48 AM

I'll admit that I fall into the camp of not really getting why someone would do this, but if it's what he wants, have at it. It's not hurting anyone else. It's probably just another genetic thing that the individual has no control over.

Desnudo 04-28-2015 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albionmoonlight (Post 3023442)
Yeah. The general reaction I've seen has either been "good for Jenner!" or "Why should we care so much?" or "I just want to take this opportunity to mention how loathsome Kris Kardashian is."

All of which are perfectly natural reactions. But I have not seen any general disgust or hatred of Jenner out there for coming out this way. (I am sure it exists, but it has not bubbled to the surface of my admittedly superficial following of the interview). But had this happened in the 80's? I think that there would have been near universal condemnation.

Andrew Dice Clay would have had a field day

NobodyHere 05-01-2015 07:20 PM

And now Jenner is getting sued by the family of the woman s/he killed

Bruce Jenner sued for wrongful death over highway crash - Yahoo Celebrity

RainMaker 05-01-2015 08:16 PM

Is anyone still a bit skeptical about this? If it's what he wants to do, go for it. But the fact this will all tie into a reality show on E! makes me wonder how much it's about the gender change and whether it's a person who will do anything for attention.

Just feel like the Kardashians would sacrifice their own family if it meant a magazine cover.

miami_fan 05-01-2015 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 3025107)
Is anyone still a bit skeptical about this? If it's what he wants to do, go for it. But the fact this will all tie into a reality show on E! makes me wonder how much it's about the gender change and whether it's a person who will do anything for attention.

Just feel like the Kardashians would sacrifice their own family if it meant a magazine cover.

The Kardashians HAVE sacrificed their own family for a magazine cover!