Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Dynasty Reports (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Cougar blue and beyond a TCY/FOF Dynasty (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=32295)

BYU 14 11-23-2004 07:29 PM

Cougar blue and beyond a TCY/FOF Dynasty

This will be a TCY/FOF 2004 Dynasty that will follow the Careers of BYU alumni that make it to the next level. I will be coaching the BYU team handling all functions and be the GM of the Arizona Cardinals, handling only Player personnel decisions and hiring/firing Coaches and scouts. The Dynasty will begin in 2005 with the storyline being that I take over BYU at mid Season after they open the 2004 campaign at 0-5.

My first year was miserable; we limped home at 3-8 and took a huge prestige hit. Despite the adversity, my recruiting class was ranked 14th overall by Rivals, which I think is a bit high as I really only landed 2 Blue Chippers. My crown jewel was QB Dwight Gatlin from New Middletown, Ohio, who was the #4 ranked QB in the nation, and seriously considered Oklahoma before giving us a late commit. DT Barry Wohlman, was the 23rd Ranked DT in the Nation, and his cousin Ike Wohlman is a returning all MWC performer at OLB, and the star of our Defense going into his Senior Season. (kind of a neat coincidence to have 2 players with a not that common last name in the fold) Both of these players will likely start as true freshmen as my QB situation is horrendous, and the interior D-line is not much better. I am hoping that both of these players will be the first BYU alums I have recruited to play on Sundays.

In the preseason I hire 45 yr old Jack Bailey as my new DC, and Lenny Bradford as syndicate coordinator. My OC, Adam Clark is actually one of the better assistants around and though at times struggled with my new 1 back offense, shows the potential to turn the Cougar attack into a Juggernaught at age 47. I also needed to downgrade the schedule during this time of transition and signed up to play home and home sets against Duke and Arizona. Along with Notre Dame and Rutgers my non-conference Schedule is a lot less foreboding than in 2004, when it featured USC, Notre Dame, Stanford and Boise state.

I have a lot of rebuilding to do, the team will be young and recruiting will not be easy this year coming off a mediocre Season. My Goal for 2005 will be to finish 7-4 and hopefully land a Bowl bid to restore some prestige to the program. Up next 2005 Preseason report for the Cougars. I will not report as extensively on the Cardinals as my main focus will be to follow the exploits of any BYU players I send to the pros.

BYU 14 11-23-2004 07:51 PM

Week 1

BYU 63 Duke 21

Recap-The memories of last years 0-5 start are a distant memory as we shred Duke for 499 yards and blow open a 21-21 halftime tie with a 35 point 3rd Quarter. Super Frosh Dwight Gatlin goes 15 of 29 for 275 yards and 4 touchdowns, with 1 interception. I also manage 172 yards on the ground with Winston Smothers leading the way, piling up 107 yards on 15 carries. Starting TB Marshall Reid gets to pack it in early after gaining 55 yards on just 6 carries and scoring 2 TD’s. The Defense gets in on the scoring as Senior CB Ron Watson returns an errant Duke pass 22 yards for a score midway through the third to quash any waning hope Duke had of getting back into the game. My other Blue Chip Frosh Barry Wohlman gets 4 tackles (3 solo, 1 assist) including 1 for a loss and Cousin Ike leads the Cougar Defense with 8 Tackles and a pass defensed. All in all a great start, and we emerge healthy going into a bye week prior to the Arizona game.

Current Injuries

None

Recruiting

Visits-None

Commits-None

Our lack of success last year is already hurting us as very few decent prospects want anything to do with us from my early contacts.

NFL

San Francisco 28 Arizona 7

It may be a rough year as Ken Dorsey and Al Welch are my Quarterbacks. If only I could get Dwight Gatlin to come out early for the draft……Like prior to his Sophmore Season.

Alumni
None

BYU 14 11-24-2004 02:46 PM

Week 2

Bye for BYU

We take advantage of the early bye to tweak the game plan, and address some weaknesses. I like Gatlin’s big play ability (4 completions of 25 yards or more against Duke) but I want him to take the high percentage short throws more often to sustain drives. We only had one drive of 8 plays or more (exactly 8) and six 3 and outs. In addition, our receiving corps is really not that strong so I don’t anticipate them running behind coverage against the better secondaries we will face. Defensively after Duke strung 3 consecutive scoring drives together in the second quarter, we adjusted things at the half and they only gained 61 yards on 8 possessions in the second half. I like what we are doing on this side of the ball and we will stay in our 3-4, as the young Freshman Wohlman did a good job taking up gaps, and the Linebackers were able to fly around and make plays. Next up Arizona.

Injuries
Nothing worse than probable

Recruiting

Visits-None

Commits-None

We are basically sending out feelers at this point, it does not look like we will be in the running for any Blue Chippers, though we desperately need a big play receiver, a durable running back and a lock down corner. Our O-line is the strongest area of the team this year but we lose all 5 starters to graduation at the end of the year, so rebuilding is definitely in order here.

NFL

Indianapolis 27 Arizona 14

We play surprisingly tough against the offensive powerhouses that are the Peyton Manning led Colts. Manning goes 20-29-0 247 with 1 TD, and Edge James adds 101 yards on 24 carries, but we are able to stiffen on several drives that looked headed for pay dirt. On our side Al Welch is inconsistent, his line is 19-38-205-1 with 2 TD strikes. A bright spots are Antquan Boldin’s 9 catches for 86 yards and Larry Fitzgeralds 6-86, with both TD receptions. I will have to keep these 2 around. Our running game averaged over 4 a pop, but we were playing from behind the whole game and could not go to it as much as I would have liked. On defense our 1st round draft pick in 2005, Austin Barden led the way with 10 tackles from the MLB position. We really need a triggerman as I feel our Defense will play well!!

Alumni
None

BYU 14 11-24-2004 03:58 PM

Week 3

Arizona 41 BYU 35 OT

Leaders
Passing
Morris Wright 16-19-294 3 TD 1 Int
Dwight Gatlin 16-27-177 1 TD 1 Int

Rushing
Marshall Reid 14-69

Receiving
Curtis Blanchard 7-127 2 TD
Jimmie Mueller 6-126

Defense
Ike Wolhman LB 8 Tackles 2 Assists
Ron Watson CB 8 Tackles 1 Assist
Barry Wohlman DT 3 Tackles 1 Assist 1 Sack
AJ Foreman S 4 Tackles 1 Assist 1 Int

Recap
I am faced with a quandary here Down 28-7 going into the 4th Quarter, Senior Morris Wright leads the Cougars to 28 points including 21 unanswered to close regulation and send the game to OT tied at 35. Alas on our first possession in OT he throws a pick and Arizona goes on to claim the victory. Our run defense was plain ugly in this game as Wildcat shredded us for 282 yards on 23 carries and had 3 touchdown runs of 25 yards or more, including a 78 yard scamper to open the scoring. All told U of A picked 318 yards on the ground and we have to fix this quick! Utah is averaging 276 yards a game on the ground for a top 10 national ranking and our rival game will be ugly if we are not better here when the Utes visit Provo to close the Season. On the bright side we are second in the Nation in yards per game passing at 399. We travel to Colorado Springs next to play Air force, who is 1-0, ranked 38th and coming off a bye week. They will be ready. I don’t want a QB controversy, but Wright was nails in relief of Gatlin and I will have to ponder the fact that Gatlin might just not be ready yet.

Injuries
Glenn Klatt ILB Herniated Disk out up to 7 weeks

This hurts and we will have to start another true Freshman, Harris Diaz in his place.

Recruiting

Visits-None

Commits-None

My game plan is to focus on another top QB, a big time receiver and fill in with the best I can get elsewhere, as there are still a lot of holes on this team and we will be forced to play a lot of youngsters next year.

NFL

Minnesota 24 Arizona 23

Leaders
Passing
Al Welch 20-33-295 2 TD 2 Int

Rushing
Thomas Jones 12-40

Receiving
Bryant Johnson 6-84 1 TD

Defense
Reynoch Thompson LB 9 Tackles
Karlos Dansby LB 8 Tackles

We had no sacks and were -3 in Turnovers and that spelled the difference in a game we lost on a 25 yd Josh Brown Field Goal as time expired.

BYU Alumni
None

BYU 14 11-24-2004 04:28 PM

Week 4

BYU-Bye

Leaders
Passing

Rushing

Receiving

Defense

Recap
We have some serious meetings about run defense and consider changing to a 4-6 Scheme, but in the end we stay with our 3-4, and hope we have made the necessary game plan adjustments for Air Force next week. I decide to make a change at QB and announce that Senior Morris Wright will get his first career start against Air force. In relief of Dwight Gatlin he is 20-25-346 4 TD 1 Int. I think the game still needs to slow down for our highly touted Freshman, and I don’t want to shatter his confidence this early.

Injuries
Glenn Klatt LB Herniated Disk out up to 6 Weeks

Recruiting

Visits
Lester Miles OLB, Aliso Viejo, Ca 6’ 215 Overall #11 Position #1

Commits-None

Miles visit is a shocker. I didn’t even offer him until last week, and did so then with reservations of wasting an invite. The number 1 Linebacker prospect in the whole country he would be a 4 year starter. Though we are his first visit he has been offered by Louisville, Nebraska, Texas and Texas A&M, with Miami also showing interest. It would be a coup to land him, but the competition is fierce.

NFL

New York Giants 33 Arizona 3

Leaders
Passing
Al Welch 10-25-82 0 TD 2 Int

Rushing
Thomas Jones 11-38

Receiving
Antquan Boldin 3-32

Defense
Adrian Wilson S 8 Tackles 2 assists
Karlos Dansby LB 8 Tackles 1 assist

Wow, Jim Mora could sum this one up nicely….We sucked!!!! 156 yards of Offense and -2 in the Turnover category again! The Defense played well early but wore down allowing New York to score on each of its final 5 possessions allowing drives of 7, 8, 8, 10, and 15 plays!!

BYU Alumni
None

BYU 14 11-24-2004 05:16 PM

Week 5

BYU 36 Air Force 27

Leaders
Passing
Dwight Gatlin 18-24-294 3 TD 1 Int

Rushing
Marshall Reid 14-111 2 TD

Receiving
Curtis Blanchard 5-127 2 TD
Marshall Reid 4-47

Defense
Barry Wohlman DT 6 Tackles 2 assists 1 Sack
AJ Foreman S 6 Tackles 3 Assists
Harris Diaz LB 5 Tackles 4 Assists

Recap
I played a hunch and at the last minute decided to stick with the Freshman at QB. Gatlin responded with a big second half and led 2 Key scoring drives after Air Force had taken a 27-24 lead. The Defense made 2 huge plays as well late in the Game with DE Quentin Flowers forcing a Fumble on a sack of AF QB Jim Trout after BYU had taken a 30-27 lead. Following a 6 yard scoring pass from Gatlin to Blanchard, Safety Ron Watson sealed the win intercepting a Trout pass in the end zone, snuffing Air Forces last threat. 2 other Freshmen had big days on Defense as Barry Wohlman was a terror at Nose Guard and Harris Diaz tallied 9 total Tackles in his first start for injured Glen Klatt at Linebacker. We now move to 2-1, and more importantly win our conference opener against a solid Air Force squad on the road!

Injuries
Winston Smothers RB Broken Arm-Out up to 9 weeks
Glenn Klatt LB Herniated Disk-Doubtful up to 5 weeks

Recruiting

Visits
Donnie Newsome DE Downey, Ca 6’ 222 Overall #211 Position #22

Commits-None

We lose several targeted recruits this week without so much as a sniff, but we are still the only School Stud LB Lester Miles has visited. Newsome would be a good catch as well, and on a side note he played at Warren High School in Downey, which is where I started my Football Coaching career, as pretty much a glorified Gopher back it 1987….oh how long ago that seems.

NFL

Arizona 31 Dallas 17

Leaders

Passing
Al Welch 16-34-149 1 TD 0 Int

Rushing
Thomas Jones 18-115 2 TD

Receiving
Antquan Boldin 7-98 1 TD

Defense
Adrian Wilson S 8 Tackles 2 assists 1 Int
Karlos Dansby LB 3 Tackles 1 assist 2 Int

Welch continues to be brutal and Ken Dorsey is looking better every week. Thankfully we got the running game going, and the Defense made some big plays as they force 5 turnovers to keep Dallas in a hole the entire Game. The Cardinals are off the snide now sitting at 1-4, last in the NFC West.

Alumni
None

BYU 14 11-24-2004 10:42 PM

Week 6

BYU 38 Rutgers 31 OT

Leaders
Passing
Dwight Gatlin 19-33-230 1 TD 1 Int

Rushing
Marshall Reid 17-83 2 TD

Receiving
Victor Steadman 6-118

Defense
Bennie Vance CB 9 Tackles 2 assists 1 sack
Ike Wohlman LB 8 Tackles 3 assists
Ron Watson S 6 Tackles 10 assists

Recap
Suffering from the Flu, Gatlin starts slow and we fall behind 17-0, before punching one in right before the Half. We score on our first drive of the second half, and on Rutgers ensuing possession AJ Foreman picks off a Steve Crockett pass and goes 93 yards as the Cougars take their first lead. After a late Rutgers score to tie it at 31, we drive quickly into field goal range, and then poor clock management allows the game to end without an attempt. Fortunately we prevail in our second OT game of the year, scoring on Calvin Shaw’s 7 yard run on third and 2. We flush Rutgers QB Crockett out of the pocket on 4th down and stop him short of the Goal line to capture another road win. Ron Watson was everywhere in this game with an incredible 16 total Tackles. Next week we are home against a 2-2 Wyoming team who is coming off a 45-0 shellacking at the hands of UNLV. Neither of us can stop the run well, but at least we can score, a MWC leading 43 points a game thus far, but we give up 30!! Wyoming also gives up 30 plus, but the good news is they are only scoring 19.8.

Injuries
Winston Smothers RB Broken arm-Out 9 weeks
Don Goodwin DE Torn Thumb Ligament-Doubtful 7 Weeks
Glen Klatt LB Herniated Disk-Questionable 4 weeks

Recruiting

Visits-None

Commits-None

Miles has now tripped to Miami and I am worried if we don’t lock him up soon he will be gone. No other visits and we lose 3 other targeted prospects who commit to other Schools this week. I am hoping for more Visits next week or this years recruiting class could be rather weak.

NFL

Philadelphia 17 Arizona 14

Leaders
Passing
Ken Dorsey 20-34-227 1 TD 0 Int

Rushing
Thomas Jones 14-51

Receiving
Anquan Boldin 5-63
Ricky Dudley 5-67

Defense
Karlos Dansby LB 8 Tackles 4 assists 1 sack
Adrian Wilson S 7 Tackles 4 assists
Russell Davis DT 80 yd fumble return for a score

We make the move to Dorsey and he plays fairly well, though we get in too many 3rd and longs, averaging 7.8 yards per occurrence. Though we convert a respectable 8 of 15, we fail in crucial situations. Add to this, Neil Rackers missing 3 field goals and another goes from the “we should have won” category, to yet another heartbreaking loss. That is why the Eagles are 5-0, and we are 1-5, good teams find a way to win.

BYU Alumni
None

BYU 14 11-25-2004 06:33 AM

Week 7

BYU 31 Wyoming 27

Leaders
Passing
Dwight Gatlin 13-17-254 2 TD 2 Int

Rushing
Marshall Reid 11-101 2 TD
Calvin Shaw 9-57

Receiving
Victor Steadman 6-129

Defense
Harris Diaz LB 13 Tackles 4 assists
Ike Wohlman LB 8 Tackles 1 Assist
Ron Watson S 6 Tackles 5 assists 1 Int

Recap
A win is a win, but we were totally dominated up front on Defense by long sustained drives. Wyoming ran 71 plays to our 46 and had a time of possession edge of over 15 minutes! They also had 4 drives of 8 plays or more and we had none. I like that fact we can strike quickly, but I would also like to control the ball a bit better. Reid has strung together some good performances and is averaging 6.7 YPG. The problem is he has just 62 carries in 5 games, I have to get him more involved. Harris Diaz was a Monster and is now our second leading tackler behind Ike Wohlman, despite only starting 3 games. Glenn Klatt has been cleared to play next week against San Diego State, but it will be as Diaz’ backup. The youngster is just too active on Defense to bench. We continue to reside in the top 10 in scoring at 40.1 PPG, but rank in the 70’s and 80’s in most defensive categories. We basically have the Wohlman Cousins, Diaz and Watson making plays for us, nobody else has been consistent.

Injuries
Winston Smothers RB Broken Arm-Out 9 weeks
JC Isbell WR Torn Knee Cartilage-Out 9 weeks
Don Goodwin DE Torn Thumb Ligament-Doubtful 9 weeks

As mentioned Klatt is back at Linebacker, but I don’t see him starting again, unless it is next to Diaz at the other inside spot. Goodwin aggravated his Thumb against Wyoming, but he will still strap it up and go. Isbell was in rotation at receiver, but not a vital cog.

Recruiting

Visits
Grady Orton QB 6’3 187 Lemoore, Ca Overall #7 Position #1

Commits-None

Another Cali Boy comes in and he just happens to be the #1 QB prospect in the country. I have offered scores of players in the 500-1000 overall rating range, and not one has come to visit. Instead I have 2 of the top 11 players overall and a top 25 DE. They must see the opportunity to play for 4 years and if I can land either of the 2 Studs I will be overjoyed.

NFL

Seattle 17 Arizona 16

Leaders
Passing
Ken Dorsey 14-27-147 1 TD 3 Int

Rushing
Thomas Jones 16-48

Receiving
Larry Fitzgerald 5-60

Defense
Adrian Wilson S 9 Tackles 4 assists
Austin Barden LB 5 Tackles 4 assists

Wow, this team is Jekyll and Hyde. After decent outputs the last 2 games the Offense goes into the tank as we average just 3.6 yards a play. Adrian Wilson is really having a solid Season now leading the Team in Tackles. It is good to get Rookie Austin Barden back after limited playing time the last 3 weeks due to injury. We are drawing under 40,000 fans a game, easily last in the League. Support this bad is a long time in the making and we will need to fix it with smart player personnel moves.

BYU Alumni
None

BYU 14 11-26-2004 01:03 PM

Week 8

San Diego St 27 BYU 24

Leaders
Passing
Dwight Gatlin 14-28-211 1 TD 1 Int

Rushing
Marshall Reid 13-94 1 TD
Calvin Shaw 10-68 1 TD

Receiving
Jimmie Mueller 3-69

Defense
Justin Watson LB 8 Tackles 1 Sack
Benny Vance CB 6 Tackles 3 assists
Ike Wohlman LB 6 Tackles 2 assists

Recap
Third down killed us today, as we only convert 1 of 10 opportunities. This totally negates our occasional big plays, and highlights the problem you will have with a young Quarterback, consistency. Fans on post game Radio shows wonder why we did not run the ball more when our 2 RB averaged 7.2 and 6.8 yards a carry. I have to agree and I talk to my OC Adam Clark about letting the Horses run behind our experienced Line. Defensively we were not bad, but failed to make key stops late in the game. The Aztec's kicker not nailed a 57 yd Field goal with under 4 minutes left for the win. We then go 3 and out and again our Defense wilts at the end, allowing San Diego St to run off a 9 play drive and run out the clock.

Injuries
Winston Smothers RB Broken Arm-Out 8 weeks
JC Isbell WR Torn Knee Cartilage-Out 8 weeks
Don Goodwin DE Torn Thumb Ligament-Doubtful 8 weeks
Edgar Brady LB stretched Knee Ligament-Doubtful 8 weeks

Recruiting

Visits
Bennie Rayburn QB Camillus, NY 6’3 197 Overall #21 Position #4
Julio Fredrickson RB Sparks, NV 6’ 197 Overall #28 Position #4
Kendrick McGee RB Berthoud, CO 6’1 204 Overall #266 #18
Gus Cerny TE Tooele, UT 6’3 203 Overall #793 Position #26
Pete Rose WR Downers Grove, IL 6’4 211 Overall #206 Position #8
Emmanuel Ogden WR Pendleton, OR 6’1 190 Overall #322 Position #20
Ellis Baxter C Fallbrook, CA 6’1 245 Overall #126 Position #13
Craig Oliver G Dover, DE 6’2 268 Overall #345 Position #30
Richie Conover G Hayesville, NC 6’4 263 Overall #140 Position #10
Chester Guerra G Owyhee, NV 6’3 283 Overall #209 Position #17
Wade Such DT Brownsville, TX 6’1 250 Overall #375 Position #17
Wendell Thompson CB Rio Hondo, TX 5’11 169 Overall 191 Position #15
Bryant Bruce S Salt Lake City, UT 6’ 180 Overall 789 Position #46

Commits
Bennie Rayburn QB Camillus, NY 6’3 197 Overall #21 Position #4

Holy Frequent Flier miles, we have 13 visits in one weekend!! Campus services is busier than Wal-mart the day after Thanksgiving, and Local Buffet owners are worried about Pot Roast shortages with all the recruits in town. We actually had 16 visits scheduled but 3 cancelled as they committed elsewhere. Among them high priority recruit Tom Longmate T from New Jersey. A huge surprise is the commit of Bennie Rayburn, who tells us he will be a Cougar before the end of his Visit. The only reason he was recruited is that the brother of Longmate’s High School coach was Rayburn’s Coach and mentioned he was interested in coming west. He is a great pickup, and will be groomed as a possible replacement to Gatlin in 3 Years. I decide to still pursue Orton as you can never have enough arms in this offense, though Rayburn’s commit makes the likely hood of getting him unlikely.

NFL

Washington 26 Arizona 20

Leaders
Passing
Ken Dorsey 20-30-217 0 TD 1 Int

Rushing
Thomas Jones 11-76

Receiving
Ricky Dudley 5-73

Defense
Karlos Dansby LB 9 Tackles 2 assists 1 Int
Austin Barden LB 8 Tackles 4 assists

In front of a half empty Stadium we take a 17-10 lead into the fourth, before allowing Washington to take a 20-17 lead. Racker’s hits a 39 yd Field Goal with 3 seconds left for the Tie, but Washington strings a 10 play 60 yard drive together on their first possession of OT to take the win. All in all we allowed 4 drives of 10 plays or more and predictably incurred a 13 plus minute deficit in time of possession. We need to sustain more drives, and will take the upcoming Bye week to evaluate things and bask in the glory of a 1-7 start.

BYU Alumni
None

BYU 14 11-27-2004 09:09 AM

Week 9

Notre Dame 45 BYU 14

Leaders
Passing
Dwight Gatlin 7-23-51 0 TD 1 Int Sacked 9 times!!!

Rushing
Marshall Reid 13-55

Receiving
Curtis Blanchard 2-36

Defense
Ike Wohlman LB 8 Tackles 4 assists 2 Int, both returned for TD
Barry Wohlman 6 Tackles 1 assist 1 sack
Harris Diaz LB 4 Tackles 5 assists

Recap
51 total yards on 50 plays, we were one of the best Offenses in the nation and Notre Dame just crushed us!!! If not for Wohlman returning picks 79 and 97 yards we would never have sniffed the end zone. Gatlin is horrible and I leave him in despite the chanting mob calling for Morris Wright. This is the second year in a row Notre Dame has owned and humiliated us, but I want to keep them on the Schedule as this type of opponent is vital to gauge our progress against and raise our prestige.

No academic problems to speak of and I assign some time blocks as preventative action. The Alumni are still not happy, but the community support is still good and the Students have been phenomenal. UNLV comes in at 3-3 next week, and we are tied with them for second place in the MWC at 2-1. Our hated rival Utah, or the school up North as they should be referred to, is 4-0 and nobody has come close to them in conference play.

Injuries
Winston Smothers RB Broken Arm-Out 8 weeks
JC Isbell WR Torn Knee Cartilage-Out 6 weeks
Don Goodwin DE Torn Thumb Ligament-Doubtful 7 weeks
Edgar Brady LB stretched Knee Ligament-Doubtful 7 weeks

We have not been seriously hurt in this area as only one pre-Season starter has missed time and we actually improved at the position (LB) when he went down.

Recruiting

Visits-None

Commits
Julio Fredrickson RB Sparks, NV 6’ 197 Overall #28 Position #4
Pete Rose WR Downers Grove, IL 6’4 211 Overall #206 Position #8
Ellis Baxter C Fallbrook, CA 6’1 245 Overall #126 Position #13

We score some solid commits, getting Fredrickson who is ranked as the #2 Back in the West and will contribute early. As suspected we lose Orton to UCLA who will have a chance to start early on a powerhouse. Rose will help and could potentially be the big play receiver we need and Baxter should also contribute by his Junior year. No new visits and we lose lots of recruits. With many holes to fill we will have to resort to plan B at many positions.

NFL

Bye
No news is good news here as Arizona limps into the second half of the Season.

Leaders
Passing

Rushing

Receiving

Defense

Alumni
None

Darkiller 11-27-2004 10:26 AM

YES ! a BYU dynastie !!!
GREAT !!

(I am a BYU fan as well in College football, glad to see I'm not alone !)

...however, I support the 49ers in the pros ;-)

BYU 14 11-27-2004 11:53 AM

Welcome to the Dynasty Darkiller, another Cougar fan to share my misery :) The last 3 Seasons have been tough in RL, but I hope they give Crowton one more year to turn it around.......I still believe he can do it.

I am actually a Viking fan but since I live in Phoenix now, gotta give some love to the locals......

BYU 14 11-28-2004 10:06 AM

Week 10

BYU 41 UNLV 30

Leaders
Passing
Dwight Gatlin 20-31-250 2 TD 0 Int

Rushing
Marshall Reid 22-96 2 TD

Receiving
Marshall Reid 5-63
Bennie Horton 4-58 2 TD

Defense
Harris Diaz LB 9 Tackles 2 assists
Alvin Fletcher CB 2 Tackles 0 assists 2 Int 1 TD

Recap
On a day when my Defense spent too much time making UNLV QB Lewis Gantry look like the second coming of Peyton Manning, it was finally a pair of reserves that pulled the game from the fire. First, down 30-27 LB Justin Watson jarred the ball loose from a scrambling Gantry and backup DT Fred Blackburn fell on the ball. Two plays later Gatlin found Bennie Horton with a 30 yard rope down the sideline for the go ahead score. Back came UNLV, for what looked like another late game stealing drive when reserve CB Alvin Fletcher stepped in front of UNLV’s Lamont Duffy, snatching the rock and taking it 76 yards to pay dirt! On the ensuing drive he did it again, sealing the deal and allowing Marshall Reid to run out the clock.

On the offensive side, OC Adam Clark responded to our “talk” by getting the ball to Reid more and also placing more emphasis on the short passing game. I like the results as Gatlin takes what he is given for the most part and has some moments where he develops a nice rhythm. There is still some inconsistency however as our first 3 drives of the second half end 3 and out, due mainly to Gatlin’s errant passing. Still we manage a slight time of possession edge and I am happy overall. Utah stops Air Force to remain unbeaten in League play, with our win we now hold second place alone. We travel to New Mexico next week to face the 2-6 Lobos, whose only league win is against San Diego St, the only MWC team we have lost thus far. We will be favored but I am still worried.

Injuries
Winston Smothers RB Broken Arm-Out
JC Isbell WR Torn Knee Cartilage-Doubtful
3 other injuries but all are probable to play next week

Recruiting

Visits
Dale Becker LB Collinsville, Il 6’1 211 Overall UR Position #69
Archie Castillo G Orlando, Fl 6’5 289 Overall #452 Position #35
Kyle Harding T Macon, GA 6’4 256 Overall #704 Position #65
Arnold Wooden DE Lone Peak Ut, 6’2 234 Overall #765 Position #85

Commits
Gus Cerny TE Tooele, UT 6’3 203 Overall #793 Position #26
Chester Guerra G Owyhee, NV 6’3 283 Overall #209 Position #17
Donnie Newsome DE Downey, Ca 6’ 222 Overall #211 Position #22
Dale Becker LB Collinsville, Il 6’1 211 Overall UR Position #69

3 of the 4 commits are really solid and help us down the road, I really like what Guerra brings to the table as he is already 283 and a punishing run blocker. Becker is a late recruit and couldn’t be happier, committing before he even arrives for his visit. He could be a sleeper. The news is not all good however as we lose our most coveted recruit, Lester miles, again to UCLA. The Bruins are putting together the top class in the country and I will be interested to see how good they are in a couple of years. We still have 8 schollies to give and it is getting late.

NFL

St Louis 27 Arizona 17

Leaders
Passing
Ken Dorsey 22-35-214 1 TD 2 Int

Rushing
Thomas Jones 12-54

Receiving
Anquan Boldin 7-54
Larry Fitzgerald 6-59 1 TD

Defense
Adrian Wilson 7 Tackles 4 assists
Bertrand Berry 6 Tackles 1 sack
Austin Barden 5 Tackles 3 assists

More of the same, we lead 17-7 at the half and then give up 17 unanswered points in the second half to give the game away. We cross mid field only one time in the second half before our final drive. With 46 Seconds left we get the Ball at the St Louis 46 after a 14 yard punt return by Boldin. 4 Plays and 8 yards later, game over.
Alumni
None
Next year as we get some alumni in the league hopefully, I will begin to move my focus to them, the recaps of the Cardinals games are just pretty much space fillers right now.

BYU 14 11-28-2004 09:14 PM

Week 11 **I lost some data that wasn’t saved, this is the reason for some of the recruiting shifts. Luckily not too much damage was done

New Mexico 17 BYU 10
Current Record-Overall 5-4 Mountain West 3-2

Leaders
Passing
Dwight Gatlin 15-36-190 0 TD 1 Int

Rushing
Marshall Reid 19-127

Receiving
Curtis Blanchard 4-62

Defense
Ron Watson S 8 Tackles 1 assist
Harris Diaz LB 7 Tackles 3 assists

Recap
Gatlin is inconsistent again and he misses several wide open targets and throws an interception in the end zone on the potential tying Touchdown drive. I have been under pressure all Season whenever Gatlin does not perform, and this week should be no different. Coincidentally Back up QB Morris Wright is the 3rd in his family to play for BYU and his Father is one of the loudest alumni. Regardless of the complaints Gatlin’s inconsistency is starting to irk me and I will probably start the Senior next week. We need a win to become Bowl eligible and Utah will be tough, so it better come next week against Colorado State.

The Defense played well this week at New Mexico only got 2 more total yards than we did, the difference was we turned it over twice and the Lobo’s took care of it. Harris Diaz has really impressed this year since stepping in for an injured Glenn Klatt in game 3. He now leads the team with 58 Tackles (16 for loss) 20 assists, 1 sack, and 2 forced fumbles.

Injuries
Bennie Vance CB-Out Sprained Back
Winston Smothers RB-Out Broken Arm
Mack Emerson TE-Out Torn Knee ligaments
Don Goodwin DE-Doubtful Torn Thumb ligaments
JC Isbell WR-Doubtful Torn Knee cartilage

Recruiting

Visits
Craig Oliver G Dover, DE 6’2 268 Overall #345 Position #30
Hugh Horton G Temperance, MI 6’4 283 Overall UR Position #96
CJ Nixon G Ripley, MS 6’3 256 Overall UR Position UR
Herb Wong LB Paxton, FL 6’2 208 Overall UR Position #73

Commits
Tom Longmate T Little Silver, NJ 6’3 277 Overall #50 Position #3
Wade Such DT Brownsville, TX 6’1 250 Overall #375 Position #17
Leland Fletcher WR Golden, CO 6’ 175 Overall #405 Position #26
Darrin Shields LB Fontana, CA 6’ 208 Overall #293 Position #23
Roderick Jamison LB Boulder CO 6’5 220 Overall #552 Position #36
Corey Sampson LB Layton, UT 5’10 193 Overall UR Position UR

We get some great news as Tackle Tom Longmate, after calling Bennie Rayburn Decommits from Syracuse and becomes a Cougar, this is huge for our O-line next year and he may be a 4 year starter!! Landing 3 Linebackers help shore up a area where depth is badly needed, all look decent enough and if they work hard may all contribute at some point in their careers. Fletcher gives us another solid threat at WR along with Rose, though he needs to sharpen his routes if he expects to play early on. It wasn’t all good news though as Chester Guerra decommits, saying he has thought it through and wants to stay closer to home. He will be suiting up for MWC rival UNLV next year. We wish him well.

NFL

Arizona 20 San Francisco 10

Leaders
Passing
Ken Dorsey 16-26-167 1 TD 3 Int

Rushing
Thomas Jones 14-51 1 TD

Receiving
Larry Fitzgerald 4-43
Anquan Boldin 3-26 1 TD

Defense
Raynoch Thompson LB 11 Tackles 2 assists
Austin Barden LB 10 Tackles 1 forced Fumble
Adrian Wilson S 8 Tackles 4 assists 1 forced Fumble

Our young Linebackers wreak havoc as Thompson and Barden combine for 23 total tackles between them. Wilson has his usual solid game and one of the top Safeties in the League at supporting the run. Though Dorsey does his best to keep the 49ers in the game we jump to a 20-7 halftime lead and hold on for win #2

BYU Alumni
Donny Davison LB Miami Dolphins
Opp NY Jets W 30-10 Started-4 Tackles 0 assists

Davison was drafted by us and released after training Camp. The Dolphins signed him after injuries to Seau and Arrington and he gets his first NFL start a week later, at last a Cougar to follow.

BYU 14 11-28-2004 10:25 PM

Week 12

BYU 28 Colorado St 14
Record Overall 6-4 Mountain West 4-2

Leaders
Passing
Morris Wright 14-26-146 2 TD 1 Int

Rushing
Marshall Reid 25-134

Receiving
Marshall Reid 4-20
Curtis Blanchard 2-54 1 TD

Defense
Ike Wohlman LB 9 Tackles 2 assists
Edgar Brady LB 8 Tackles
Ron Watson S 6 Tackles 1 Int

Recap
AJ Foreman S (88 yds) and Jerry Prior DE (69 yds) both return Interceptions for Touchdowns, as our Defense is our best Offense. Prior’s pick starts the scoring and Foreman’s gives us our first lead since that point after we entered the 4th quarter down 14-7. I decide to go with the Senior Wright at QB, and as good as he has looked in relief he is not spectacular in his first start. Still, he did not do anything to lose the game so he will get to keep the job for our rivalry game against the team up North. We are now bowl eligible and with only 2 other MWC schools being able to claim this currently, we are in good shape as the MWC has 3 tie ins. Wyoming is the only other school that can become Bowl eligible if they win out.

Injuries
Bennie Vance CB-Out Sprained Back
Mack Emerson TE-Out Torn Knee ligaments
Don Goodwin DE-Doubtful Torn Thumb ligaments

Recruiting

Visits
Mel Lewis CB San Jose, CA 5’11 168 Overall UR Position 94
Julio Anthony CB Tooele, UT 6’ 160 Overall UR Position UR

Commits
CJ Nixon G Ripley, MS 6’3 256 Overall UR Position UR
Herb Wong LB Paxton, FL 6’2 208 Overall UR Position #73

Two commits who will probably be no more than backups, now we are just looking for depth, 2 more slots open and I am looking for another Guard, a CB or Safety. I will take the first 2 positions to commit.

NFL

Jacksonville 20 Arizona 10

Leaders
Passing
Ken Dorsey 9-34-100 0 TD 2 Int

Rushing
Thomas Jones 15-76
Marcel Shipp 7-39 1 TD

Receiving
Shaun LeFavor 4-30

Defense
Raynoch Thompson LB 10 Tackles 2 assists 1.5 Sacks
Russell Davis DT 7 Tackles 2 assists

BYU Alumni
Donny Davison LB Miami
Opponent Carolina L 13-21 Did not Start-1 Tackle 1 Assist

BYU 14 11-29-2004 09:42 AM

Rivalry week is upon us and Utah stands between us and our pre-Season goal of 7-4. It would be all the sweeter to achieve this mark with a win over them. They have already locked the MWC conference crown up with a 6-0 League record behind their own Freshman QB, a Redshirt Gunslinger named Rodney Dostie. It could be a good 3 year rivalry between him and Gatlin if both mature and develop. I say 3 years because I am sticking with the Senior Morris Wright, much to the delight of his Father Archibald. I can hear the Elder Wright now at the Cougar Club luncheons, "if only he had put my boy in earlier, we would be playing for the MWC title this week, we would at least be 7-3 right now, maybe 8-2!!".......blah, blah, blah!! Parents never change :)

Looking forward to the off Season I think Ike Wohlman has a shot to repeat as 1st team all MWC LB, also both JC Foreman S and Barry Wohlman DT are the front runners for Defensive Freshman of the year, while I think Gatlin has a shot at the offensive honors in this category. I was real happy with the play of our young guys overall, add Harris Diaz and 3 true Freshmen played a big role on D. At least 1 of our Lineman should also be recognized on the MWC first or second team. Regardless of what happens this weekend I think we have made great strides. I am already worried about next year on the O-Line though. We will be real young and real inexperienced up front. Our veteran line made our skill kids look better then they were on occasion this Year. Next Season that luxury will be sorely missed!!

BYU 14 11-29-2004 05:30 PM

Week 13

Utah 35 BYU 27
Record Overall 6-5 Mountain West 4-3

Leaders
Passing
Morris Wright 20-33-305 3 TD 0 Int

Rushing
Marshall Reid 15-48

Receiving
Jimmie Mueller 7-151 1 TD
Curtis Blanchard 5-92 2 TD

Defense
Barry Wohlman DT 10 Tackles 2 assists
Ike Wohlman LB 7 Tackles 1 assist
Ron Watson S 6 Tackles 3 assists

Recap
This was all a rivalry game should be, we held a 10-7 lead late in the second quarter, then gave up a late TD, and spent the rest of the day playing catch up, never closer then 1, never further behind then 8. Wright played probably our best quarterbacked game of the year and my heart goes out to him. He has always remained supportive and positive throughout the QB controversy and played his ass off today. Both teams played crisp turnover free ball, and the difference was the Ute’s ability to sustain the run, while we could not. JT Blubaum led the way for the team up North ripping off 138 yards on 30 carries and scoring 3 TDs. Marshall Reid meanwhile was swarmed and held to his lowest YPC average of the year. On Defense the Wohlman cousins played like animals, especially the Freshman Barry, 12 total tackles by a Nose Guard!!!! We finish 6-5 and should still score a bowl regardless of what Wyoming does since we beat them head to head.

Injuries
Harris Diaz LB-Out sprained Back
Mack Emerson TE-Out Torn Knee ligament
Bennie Vance CB-Out sprained Back

The Diaz injury hurts, hopefully he will be OK for a Bowl game if we get one...If not, our ability to stop the run could be impeded, as it was against Utah!

Recruiting

Visits
None

Commits
Mel Lewis CB San Jose, CA 5’11 168 Overall UR Position 94

We have 1 schollie left and it is reserved for Salt Lake City Skylines own Bruce Bryant, an All-State player ranked 5th overall among all players in Utah and 46th nationally at his Position. Come be a Cougar B Bryant!!

NFL

Atlanta 21 Arizona 11

Leaders
Passing
Ken Dorsey 18-31-168 0 TD 0 Int

Rushing
Thomas Jones 11-39

Receiving
Larry Fitzgerald 8-62

Defense
Adrian Wilson S 13 Tackles 3 assists 1 forced Fumble
Raynoch Thompson 10 Tackles
Sammy Knight S 8 Tackles 2 assists

I think our Safeties making 26 total tackles between them sums up this game fairly well. Michael Vick looked like Joe Montana…….with just a tad more speed, and even the Peanut vendors ran for a few yards, Atlanta totaled 180 on the ground and it is amazing they only scored 21. Our only score came after Ken Dorsey was pulled, Al Welch completed a pass….his only completion to Anquan for a 33 yard score with 14 seconds left. We need serious help, under Center, at CB, and some Linebackers who will keep our safeties a bit cleaner…..is it April yet???

Alumni
Donnie Davison LB Miami
Opponent Cincinnati W 19-17 Did not Start-0 Tackles 1 assist

Limited time but at least Donnie is getting to taste his 15 minutes, his career will probably by fairly short, but he sure was a stud at the Y.

BYU 14 11-29-2004 09:18 PM

Weeks 14-16

No Games
Record Overall 6-5 Mountain West 4-3

Bowl Game-Citrus Bowl
Week 17 Vs Notre Dame
A chance to revenge a Week 9 Pummeling against the Fighting Irish, though I will be hard pressed to find a way to make up a 31 point difference. I Will give the Bowl start to the Senior Wright, and hope he plays like he did against Utah. We need to find a way to shut down the Irish QB Walt Benson. He riddled our secondary like they were plastic cones playing defense hitting 20-22 for 289 yards and 3 Touchdowns….Hell maybe I will try plastic cones instead next week. I would really like to finish at least competitive, hopefully with a tough win and some momentum for next year, when a realistic goal should be to challenge Utah for MWC supremacy.

Injuries
At this time we are still looking at being without TE Mack Emerson and LB Harris Diaz. Diaz as mentioned earlier would really hurt us. DE Goodwin, RB Smothers and WR Isbell are all still doubtful but will be ready to go as it is the last game of the Year. I hope that somehow Diaz is cleared for the game.

Recruiting

We got our final commit in S Bryant Bruce, he will provide some depth and may actually see some time as we will look to shore up the secondary next year. Our complete class is listed below.

2005 Recruits Position Overall Rank Position Rank
Bennie Rayburn QB 21 4
Julio Fredrickson RB 28 4
Gus Cerny TE 793 26
Pete Rose WR 206 8
Leland Fletcher WR 405 26
Ellis Baxter C 126 13
CJ Nixon G UR UR
Tom Longmate T 50 3
Donnie Newsome DE 211 22
Wade Such DT 375 17
Darrin Shields ILB 293 23
Roderick Jamison ILB 552 36
Herb Wong OLB UR 73
Corey Sampson OLB UR UR
Mel Lewis CB UR 94
Bryant Bruce S 789 46

Amazingly Rose, Baxter and Shields all make the All-Country team which is an incredible number for one school to land, and only Rose is in the top 10 in the country at his position. Hopefully they will all pan out as worthy of this recognition in College. UCLA and Marshall each land 2 from this list as well.

NFL

The Cardinals win 2 of 3 primarily on the strength of Neil Racker’s foot as he boots 4 field goals each in wins over Seattle 19-0 and Houston 19-10. The defense plays equally well in a 17-15 loss to Tennessee when Thomas Jones was stopped at the 1 on a 2 pt conversion try with no time on the Clock. We are now 4-11 and if we can upgrade the Offense in the off Season can easily shoot for a 9 win Season next year.

BYU Alumni
Donnie Davison LB Miami
Moved to inactive Roster week 14

Davison is no longer needed as LaVarr Arrington returns to reclaim his job. The Dolphins keep Cedric Shello, an undrafted free agent to back him up and Davison spends the rest of the year on the practice Squad. Hopefully a good camp will allow him to stay around next Season.

BYU 14 11-30-2004 05:01 PM

Week 17 Citrus Bowl

Notre Dame 52 BYU 27
Record: Overall 6-6 Mountain West 4-3

Leaders
Passing
Morris Wright 17-36-207 1 TD 2 Int

Rushing
Marshall Reid 17-159 1 TD

Receiving
Marshall Reid 6-32
Jimmie Mueller 4-80

Defense
Ron Watson S 8 Tackles 1 assist
Hunter Diaz LB 6 Tackles 4 assists
Justin Watson LB 4 Tackles 1 assist 2 sacks 2 Int

Recap
It was a completely different story from our regular Season meeting……for the first 3 ½ Quarters. We jumped up on a shall shocked Irish Team 21-7 as Marshall Reid picked up a Morris Wright Fumble and took it in from 16 yds out to start the scoring. After a turnover led to a Wright to Isbell scoring strike, Notre Dame came back to pull within 7. As time would down in the first quarter Reid ran off tackle, broke from the grasp of a defender and bolted 89 yds to regain a 2 Touchdown lead and the crowd smelled upset.

The smell turned out to be nothing more than burnt Bratwurst from the Tailgating though, as Notre Dame regained their composure and fought back for a 24-21 Halftime lead. The teams fought on even ground through the third and early in fourth, then with the score 31-27, the Irish scored 21 straight points in the last 6 minutes to turn the game into a laugher. Still it was a hard fought game and the improvement over the first time we met the Irish is something to build on. Watson had a sick game on Defense and Marshall Reid’s performance earned him MVP honors, despite being on the losing team…..a true rarity.

Injuries
TE Mack Emerson, suffering from a Knee injury, was the only one who missed the game. We ended the game with no new Injuries and everyone should be healthy for Spring Ball (Which is a feature the next TCY really needs) 

Recruiting

In case you missed it I will again list our 2005 Class
2005 Recruits…..Position….Overall Rank….Position Rank
Bennie Rayburn……..QB……………21……………4
Julio Fredrickson……RB……………28……………4
Gus Cerny…………...TE……………793………….26
Pete Rose……………WR…………...206………….8
Leland Fletcher……..WR……………405………… 26
Ellis Baxter…………. C……………..126…………. 13
CJ Nixon…………….G……………..UR…………..UR
Tom Longmate………T……………..50……………3
Donnie Newsome……DE…………...211………….22
Wade Such…………..DT…………....375………….17
Darrin Shields……….ILB…………...293………….23
Roderick Jamison……ILB…………..552…………..36
Herb Wong…………. OLB………….UR…………..73
Corey Sampson……...OLB…………UR…………..UR
Mel Lewis…………...CB…………...UR…………. 94
Bryant Bruce………...S……………..789…………. 46

Rayburn will Redshirt unless we do not see measurable improvement in Gatlin. Fredrickson, Rose, Longmate and Newsome will all compete for PT as true Freshman, as we are still lacking quality depth. Everyone else should redshirt.

NFL

St Louis 30 Arizona 24 OT
Record 4-12

Leaders
Passing
Ken Dorsey 16-27-186 1 TD 2 Int

Rushing
Thomas Jones 16-48 1 TD
Marcel Shipp 10-52 1 TD

Receiving
Anquan Boldin 6-75 1 TD

Defense
Adrian Wilson S 13 Tackles 4 assists 2 forced fumbles
Austin Barden LB 10 Tackles 3 assists

Well, we mercifully end a frustrating Season with a stellar performance against the 11-5, division winning Rams. Again very few bright spots on Offense, but Wilson plays a killer game on D, and better get some recognition this off Season, he was by far our most consistent player this year. Quarterback killed us this year and we need help, it will by the #1 off Season priority.

Alumni
Donnie Davison LB Miami
Opponent New England L 24-31 Inactive

BYU 14 12-01-2004 04:55 PM

2005 Summary for Brigham Young

Record: 6-6 Mountain West 4-3

Brigham Young Team Rank
Rushes 338 88
Rushing Yards 1321 76
Yards Per Carry 3.90 51
Pass Attempts 380 26 (T)
Completions 215 26
Passing Yards 2942 22
Yards Per Attempt 7.74 37
3rd Down Conversions 40.7 30 (T)
Points Per Game 31.1 33
Turnovers 31 116 (T)
Turnover Margin -8 102 (T)

Opponents Team Rank
Rushes 454 112
Rushing Yards 1840 96
Yards Per Carry 4.05 73
Pass Attempts 388 119 (T)
Completions 217 120 (T)
Passing Yards 2881 121
Yards Per Attempt 7.42 77
3rd Down Conversions 40.8 96 (T)
Points Per Game 30.5 90 (T)
Turnovers 23 49 (T)

Primary Formation: Single-Back Formation

Week Team Versus Oppnt
1 63 DUKE (124) 21
3 35 at UofA (94) 41
5 36 at AFA (39) 27
6 38 at RUTG (109) 31
7 31 WYOM (79) 27
8 24 at SDST (90) 27
9 14 ND (14) 45
10 41 UNLV (86) 30
11 10 at NMEX (102) 17
12 28 at CSU (67) 14
13 27 UTAH (17) 35
17 27 vs ND (14) 52 Citrus Bowl

Passing Pos Att Comp Yards Y/Att TD Int
10 Gatlin QB 252 141 1905 7.55 15 17
8 Wright QB 128 74 1037 8.10 10 5
Team --- 380 215 2942 7.74 25 22

Rushing Pos Att Yards Y/Att TD Stff YdLst
21 Reid RB 176 1086 6.17 10 26 30
34 Shaw RB 56 271 4.83 3 9 16
10 Gatlin QB 49 -130 -2.65 0 37 202
8 Wright QB 25 -40 -1.60 0 18 76
Team --- 338 1321 3.90 14 98 340

Receiving Pos Targ Catch Yards Y/Ctc YAC TD
88 Blanchard WR 82 46 821 17.8 394 10
3 Steadman WR 70 36 574 15.9 147 0
21 Reid RB 65 43 343 7.9 195 5
81 Mueller WR 54 28 537 19.1 239 2
80 Horton WR 22 9 159 17.6 29 0
9 Isbell WR 20 10 109 10.9 63 3
89 Emerson TE 18 11 102 9.2 76 2
34 Shaw RB 17 12 66 5.5 60 1
Team --- 380 215 2942 13.6 1307 25

Defense Pos Tack Asst Sack TFL Ints Defn
48 Wohlman OLB 74 20 0.0 8 0 4
41 Diaz ILB 71 31 1.0 20 0 2
24 Watson S 66 30 0.0 11 6 4
59 Brady OLB 49 20 5.0 12 0 5
91 Wohlman DT 46 15 6.0 10 0 1
96 Watson ILB 42 13 2.0 2 3 3
20 O'Donnell CB 40 10 0.0 1 2 5
The College Years
35 Foreman S 35 21 0.0 4 6 3
90 Goodwin DE 32 6 6.5 9 0 0
36 Tinker CB 32 8 0.0 3 0 5
26 Fletcher CB 26 5 0.5 0 0 4
73 Flowers DE 20 5 3.0 4 0 0
29 Vance CB 20 7 1.0 3 0 2
77 Prior DE 19 9 5.0 6 1 0
22 Claytor S 16 3 0.0 1 1 1
50 Harding ILB 12 3 0.0 2 0 0
Team --- 719 222 32.0 103 19 41

Post Season Awards
Curtis Blanchard WR 1st team all MWC
Ike Wohlman LB 1st Team all MWC
Ron Watson S 1st Team all MWC
Marshall Reid RB 2nd Team all MWC
Calvin Berkebile K 2nd Team all MWC
Justin Watson LB 2nd Team all MWC
Edgar Brady LB 2nd Team all MWC
Curtis O’Donnell CB 2nd Team all MWC

Academic All-Americans
Harvey Ashraf P

Academic All-MWC
Dwight Gatlin QB
Curtis Blanchard WR
Morris Doherty WR
Harvey Ashraf P
Harris Diaz LB
Harvey Geary LB

A decent award showing, a little disappointed none of my Freshman were honored, I probably hurt Gatlin benching him later in the year. Very surprised Justin Watson was 2nd Team all MWC at LB and Harris Diaz got nothing…..his stats were much better.

Team Rankings
Academics 30th
Recruiting 20th
TV Revenue 53rd
Ticket Revenue 40th
Donations 71st
GPA 2.89 (5th)
Attendance 55,900 (31st)

Final Top 10
1-LSU 13-0
2-Nebraska 12-1
3-Michigan 12-1
4-Georgia 11-2
5-Miami 10-2
6-West Virginia 11-1
7-Florida 10-2
8-Kansas St 10-2
9-Louisville 11-1
10-Notre Dame 10-2
LSU beat Nebraska 31-28 in the National Championship game.

NFL

2005 Summary for Arizona Cardinals

Record: 4-12
Winning Pct.: .250

Arizona Cardinals Team Rank
Rushes 421 25
Rushing Yards 1806 18
Yards Per Carry 4.28 4 (T)
Pass Attempts 508 21 (T)
Completions 278 30
Passing Yards 2921 32
Yards Per Attempt 5.75 31
3rd Down Conversions 41.3 18
Points Per Game 16.4 27 (T)
Turnovers 31 25 (T)
Turnover Margin -8 24 (T)

Opponents Team Rank
Rushes 528 30 (T)
Rushing Yards 2237 32
Yards Per Carry 4.23 28
Pass Attempts 530 23
Completions 326 26
Passing Yards 3701 20
Yards Per Attempt 6.98 19
3rd Down Conversions 47.2 30
Points Per Game 20.0 15
Turnovers 23 14 (T)

Week Team Versus Oppnt
1 7 at SFO 28
2 14 at IND 27
3 23 MIN 24
4 3 NYK 33
5 31 at DAL 17
6 14 at PHI 17
7 16 at SEA 17
8 20 WAS 26
10 17 STL 24
11 20 SFO 10
12 10 at JAX 20
13 11 at ATL 21
14 15 TEN 17
15 19 SEA 0
16 19 HOU 10
17 24 at STL 30

2 Dorsey QB 358 205 2033 5.67 7 15
4 Welch QB 150 73 888 5.92 6 8
**Team --- 508 278 2921 5.75 13 23

Rushing Pos Att Yards Y/Att TD
45 Jones RB 228 1000 4.38 5
31 Shipp RB 121 499 4.12 3
**Team --- 421 1806 4.28 10

81 Boldin WR 151 80 868 10.8 199 7
11 Fitzgerald WR 116 62 783 12.6 223 4
84 Dudley TE 70 36 331 9.1 84 0
80 LeFavor WR 36 21 293 13.9 50 0
45 Jones RB 29 20 128 6.4 76 0
83 Johnson WR 37 18 232 12.8 25 1
**Team --- 508 278 2921 10.5 791 13

Defense Pos Tack Asst Sack Hurr Ints Defn
24 Wilson S 103 37 0.0 0 1 5
48 Barden ILB 93 29 0.0 2 0 5
55 Thompson OLB 81 22 1.5 0 0 10
96 Gregg DT 71 25 3.0 6 0 0
46 Knight S 69 30 0.0 1 2 18
58 Dansby OLB 63 29 1.0 1 3 4
21 Hill CB 55 19 1.0 0 3 9
98 Davis DT 48 20 1.5 10 0 1
92 Berry DE 46 22 6.0 17 0 0
37 Clinton CB 42 11 0.0 0 1 4
28 Starks CB 37 21 1.0 0 0 6
97 Pace DE 26 11 2.5 7 0 1
27 Macklin CB 24 4 0.0 0 1 5
54 Hayes OLB 19 8 1.0 0 0 3
40 Boyd S 17 10 0.0 1 0 2
**Team --- 896 316 20.0 47 11 74

Post Season Awards
Austin Barden LB Defensive Rookie of the Year
Rick DeMulling G All League 1st Team

Disappointed that Wilson got no love at the Safety spot, probably due to his less than glamorous Pass coverage stats, but he was hell against the Run. Very happy with Barden, he will be a leader on the Defense for years to come.

Superbowl
Philadelphia 33 Indianapolis 28

BYU 14 12-01-2004 11:04 PM

Off Season 2006

Player issues
I sit in my overstuffed Chair staring into eyes, that won’t even climb from the mahogany surface of my desk to meet my gaze directly. Junior DT Mario Doyle, a rags to riches walk on, who would have been Barry Wohlman’s primary backup, and more importantly was in line to be granted a Scholarship, is sullen. He was caught accepting Money from a Booster and will now pay by sitting on the Sidelines this Season, not even allowed to practice with the team. I advise him that, as he has not used a Red shirt year, he will have 2 years of eligibility left when he returns, but he will not get the Scholarship until he has shown his commitment to the team. If he meets the requirements set before him the Schollie will be waiting at the start of 2007.

So often Kids will leave a School over this, already this week Running Back Alonzo Sullivan, suspended last Season due to grades has transferred to division 3 Wabash, he was not pegged as a top 3 player, so it makes sense for him. We have another Academic casualty this Season as well as Safety Irv Matney will serve a suspension for the 2006 Season. He appeared in 9 games last year and would have been a rotation player this Season. Hopefully he sticks around as well as gets his grades up.

Incoming recruits
The following Recruits will compete for playing time as true Freshman, or be relied upon to provide depth. Those marked by a * are projected starters coming out of Spring Ball.

Gus Cerny TE *
Leland Fletcher WR *
CJ Nixon G
Randall Burnside G (Walk on)
Corey Sampson LB
Bryant Bruce S

Redshirts
Bennie Rayburn QB
Julio Fredrickson RB
Pete Rose WR
Ellis Baxter C
Tom Longmate T
Donnie Newsome DE
Wade Such DT
Roderick Jamison LB
Darrin Shields LB
Herb Wong LB
Mel Lewis CB

Staff
Syndicate coordinator Lenny Bradford has retired, he was a good one and will be missed. We hire Kim Ekuban who is VG/Terrible/Good , we will have to avoid syndicate violations  Everyone else is back and I am content with the staff for now.

Schedule
No open spots to fill

NFL

Free Agency

Signed
Jeff Garcia QB 4 years 20.1 million
Dominick Davis RB 2 years 1.94 million
Chester Pitts T 2 years 3.1 million
Nat Dorsey T 2 years 1.1 million
Derrick Burgess DE 2 years 2.16 million
Dan Wilkinson DT 2 years 2.36 million
Morlon Greenwood 3 years 3.2 million
Lito Sheppard CB 2 years 1.35 million

Resigned
Ricky Dudley TE 1 year 870 K
Demetric Evans DE 1 year 620 K

Key Losses
Neil Rackers K
Russell Davis DT

Draft
1(5) Nick Schokora DT Nebraska
1(6) Walter Burnside CD Northwestern
2(6) Frankie Quintaro T Wisconsin
3-None
4 (6) Richie Cullen LB Boston College
5 (6) Donny Bode K North Texas
6 (6) Brendan Newman FB Colorado
7 (1) Bennie Frierson LB Virginia
7 (6) Wally Glenn QB Stanford
Draft Grade B

Burnside and Schokora will start and Bode will take over the kicking duties for the departed Neil Rackers. A decent draft in which we addressed most needs.

Undrafted Free Agents
Jay Eloms CB Iowa
Deon Withrow RB Colorado
Julio Shepard C Iowa St
Ike Wohlman LB BYU
Wille Godfrey G BYU

We get your couple of BYU alumni, Wohlman was not impressive at the combines and does not look like a solid prospect, but we will give him shot.

BYU Alumni
Donny Davison LB-Released by Miami

BYU 14 12-08-2004 01:08 PM

We get ready for the start of the 2006 Season with a combination of hope and intrepidation. Utah will again be favored in the pre-Season MWC poll and Air force should be tough again too. After that it should be a dog fight with us, San Diego St, CSU and UNLV all fighting to climb into a contenders spot. New Mexico and Wyoming should bring up the rear, though the Cowboys came off a great Season for them, I would be surprised if they approached their former success. Pre-Season depth chart and scouting report up next. Also this Season I will drop the Cardinal updates and replace it with more from the MWC, including standings and game results. From the NFL I will only post weekly scores and the happenings involving BYU Alumni, which should still be pretty sparse this year :(

BYU 14 12-08-2004 10:35 PM

2006 BYU Preseason Report

Preseason Rank Mountain West Rank:

Roster/Depth Chart

# = Returning Starter $ = Will Redshirt this Season
Returning Starters: Offense 2 Defense 7 Specialists 2

Player # Pos Elig Current Estimate Future Estimate
#Gatlin, Dwight 10 QB So 32 91
$Rayburn, Bennie 19 QB Fr 22 71
Martin, Bryce 6 QB* Sr* 15 24
Burroughs, Zach 11 QB* Jr* 7 22

Rayburn did not progress as hoped in Spring Ball so he will redshirt. This leaves 2 Walk-on players as backups to Gatlin, hopefully he will stay healthy. Gatlin is still somewhat raw but should be improved and ready with a year under his belt, if a young O-line can hold up.

Stoddard, Daniel 42 RB So* 52 100
$Fredrickson, Julio 20 RB Fr 51 68
Smothers, Winston 28 RB Jr 41 66
Shaw, Calvin 34 RB So 37 63

Stoddard beats out true frosh Julio Fredrickson, who will now redshirt as well. Depth is pretty good here with Smothers returning from injury and Shaw who saw action as a true Freshman.

Hightower, Damon 25 FB* Jr* 20 48
Boren, Kirk 31 FB* Jr* 19 50

They see very little time so they will be expected to keep their grades up and be demons on Special teams.

Cerny, Gus 89 TE Fr 24 67
Joseph, Geoff 82 TE So* 21 89
Downs, Darren 86 TE* Jr 24 37
Becerra, Darnell 87 TE* Jr 23 31
Buick, George 97 TE* So 3 3

Not a strength as numbers 3-5 on the depth chart are walk-ons. Cerny gains the nod as a true Freshman but Joseph will see a lot of time as Cerny develops

Hitchcock, Ellis 7 WR So* 52 80
#Mueller, Jimmie 81 WR Sr 37 37
Fletcher, Leland 8 WR Fr 36 89
Isbell, J.C. 9 WR Sr 32 43
Horton, Bennie 80 WR Jr 25 39
$Rose, Pete 88 WR Fr 24 60
Doherty, Morris 85 WR Jr 16 37
Hodges, Cary 5 WR* Jr 12 31

Things are looking up in the receiving corp. Only 1 returning starter in Mueller but there is talent among the youngsters, especially redshirt freshman Ellis Hitchcock. Fletcher worked hard on his routes and upstaged the more heavily recruited Pete Rose. Three potentially solid starters here, as Mueller plays beyond his skills.

Benson, Winfred 58 C Jr 34 75
Flynn, Melvin 51 C So* 31 76
$Baxter, Ellis 56 C Fr 7 100
Burks, Terrance 67 G Sr 33 33
Ballard, Kyle 62 G So 30 47
Nixon, C.J. 78 G Fr 10 33
Burnside, Randall 64 G* Fr 0 3
Fletcher, Irv 61 T Sr 51 51
Lyon, Ed 63 T So* 22 54
Lathon, Ron 76 T Jr* 36 36
$Longmate, Tom 69 T Fr 29 61
Watson, Emmanuel 60 T* Jr 28 41
Gray, Maurice 72 T* Sr 7 30

This is a MAJOR concern as youth and inexperience are the order of the day. The five projected starters have a grand total of 2 College starts between them and the 2 best prospects are too raw to contribute and will redshirt this Season. Gatlin will be facing a lot of pressure and our talented backs may find the going tough early on.

#Ashraf, Harvey 14 P Sr 54 54
Galloway, Mo 2 P* So* 6 24
#Berkebile, Calvin 4 K Sr 37 50
Coffey, Desmond 1 K Jr* 23 56

Special teams will be solid, though not spectacular and this is important as these guys could make a difference in close games.

#Goodwin, Don 90 DE Sr 44 61
#Flowers, Quentin 73 DE Sr 41 41
$Newsome, Donnie 95 DE Fr 35 56
Waite, Hunter 70 DE Sr 32 32
Preston, Bob 94 DE Sr* 19 42
Prior, Jerry 77 DE Sr 19 42
Bradley, Jeff 74 DE So* 12 62
Tran, Vernon 98 DE* Jr* 5 9
#Wohlman, Barry 91 DT So 47 95
Cramer, Ed 75 DT Jr* 18 64
$Such, Wade 79 DT Fr 17 87
Blackburn, Fred 93 DT Sr* 14 28
Doyle, Mario 99 DT* Jr 28 48 Suspended

An area of strength with all 3 starters back, with the ends both starters for the third year. Wohlman got 6 sacks from his NG position and will be relied upon heavily to plug the inside gaps and absorb double teams on passing plays. Both Redshirts have potential and will contribute down the road.

#Watson, Justin 96 ILB Sr 35 52
#Diaz, Harris 41 ILB So 25 66
$Jamison, Roderick 92 ILB Fr 14 100
$Shields, Darrin 55 ILB Fr 12 95
Harding, Claude 50 ILB* Sr* 15 47
Dickerson, Lamont 49 ILB* Sr 14 41
Geary, Harvey 40 OLB So 40 81
Meehan, Oliver 52 OLB* Jr* 26 48
Hochstetler, Harvey 54 OLB Sr 16 23
Peters, Charles 53 OLB Jr 15 17
$Wong, Herb 46 OLB Fr 13 72
Sampson, Corey 59 OLB Fr 3 28

We should be tough to run on between tackles with Watson and Diaz back, and our two Freshman show a ton of upside. On the edges 2 first year starters step up and Meehan is a walk-on who will earn a scholarship if he holds onto the job. He is a hard nosed player who works as hard as anyone, while Diaz should contend for all League honors.

#Tinker, Mike 36 CB Sr 33 33
Vance, Bennie 29 CB So 19 59
Irish, Barry 23 CB So 25 41
$Lewis, Mel 45 CB Fr 11 55
Fletcher, Alvin 26 CB* Sr* 20 38
Newville, Darryl 47 CB* Sr 15 15
#Foreman, A.J. 35 S So 37 58
Perry, Derek 43 S So* 37 58
Bruce, Bryant 33 S Fr 30 68
Claytor, Monty 22 S Sr 25 44
Matney, Irv 39 S Jr 24 45 Suspended

Another area lacking quality depth. Tinker and Foreman return but neither has shown sustained greatness, though Foreman has that potential and Bruce could make some noise by Seasons end.

Players to watch
Dwight Gatlin QB
Daniel Stoddard RB
Winfred Benson C
Barry Wohlman DT
Harris Diaz LB
Harvey Geary LB
AJ Foreman S

Top Newcomers
Gus Cerny TE
Ellis Hitchcock WR
Leland Fletcher WR
Bryant Bruce S

2006 Schedule

Rival: Utah
Stadium Capacity: 65,000
Season Tickets Sold: 47,700

Week Opponent
2 (48) ARIZONA
3 at Duke
$$5 NEW MEXICO
6 at Rutgers
$$7 (35) COLORADO STATE
$$8 at UNLV
$$9 SAN DIEGO STATE
10 (13) NOTRE DAME
$$11 at (20) Utah
$$12 AIR FORCE
$$13 at (41) Wyoming

Home Games in ALL CAPS
$$-Conference Games

Outlook
We could still be a year away from contending for a Conference Championship, as there is a lot of inexperience on the Offensive side of the ball and Gatlin is not ready to carry the team at this stage. Our defense should keep us in games against teams we match up with well, and the key will be to play solid special teams and not shoot ourselves in the foot with turnovers and penalties. A 7-4 record and another Bowl would be a success and set us up well for a MWC title run next year.

BYU Alumni
Donnie Davison LB: Exp 2-Unsigned Free Agent
Ike Wohlman LB Arizona: Exp R-Active Backup SLB
Luther Blake WR Arizona: Exp 2-Practice Squad
Willie Godfrey G Arizona: Exp R-Practice Squad

The few, the proud, and mostly inactive. Davison may not be long for the Game if he is not picked up soon, as his Father in-Law has a nice position waiting in his Real Estate business back in Provo. Wohlman is the only alumni on an active roster and is there solely on his work ethic, backing up Raynoch Thompson at the Strong side LB position, he could see some time unless the Cardinals can find a better option.

BYU 14 12-09-2004 09:13 PM

2006 Week 2 (We had a bye in Week 1)

Arizona 27 BYU 24 OT
Record Overall 0-1 Mountain West 0-0

Leaders
Passing
Dwight Gatlin 21-26-289 1 TD 1 Int

Rushing
Daniel Stoddard 22-68 1 TD

Receiving
Ellis Hitchcock 9-176

Defense
Harris Diaz LB 8 tackles 3 assists
Derek Perry S 6 tackles 3 assists
Justin Watson LB 4 tackles 2 assists 1 sack, 1 Int

Recap
Positives and negatives come with this OT loss to U of A. Gatlin looked sharp and Ellis Hitchcock will be a stud, besides his 9 catches he returned a punt for 80 yards and a TD, this kid is a game breaker! The running game was not what it could and hopefully will be later in the year and we gave up 8 sacks which makes it difficult to sustain drives. I was worried about the O-Line and this game totally justified those fears, hopefully experience will allow them to gel. On Defense we were effective against the pass but were inconsistent against the run, and just couldn’t make the big play. A sack in OT forced us to kick a Field goal and Arizona scored a Touchdown in 2 plays to get the W.

Injuries
Irv Fletcher T Out-Arthroscopic Knee surgery.

This hurts as he was our only lineman with a start prior to this Season, the good news is he could be back in only 3 weeks.

Recruiting

Visits
None

Commits
None

We recruit as follows this year. 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 TE, 1 WR, 0 C, 2 G, 1 T, 1 P, 1 K, 1 DE 0 DT, 2 ILB, 1 OLB, 1 CB and 1 S
Mountain West Scoreboard

Utah 35 Utah State 14
Wyoming 37 Kansas 31
Wake Forest 27 Air Force 20
Colorado State 13 Cornell 3
Arizona 27 BYU 24
Michigan 59 New Mexico 3
Wisconsin 31 San Diego St 3
North Texas 58 UNLV 7

Mountain West Standings

Team Overall MWC PF/PA
Utah 1-0 0-0 35-14
Colorado St 1-0 0-0 13-3
Wyoming 1-0 0-0 37-31
San Diego St 1-1 0-0 44-58
Air Force 0-1 0-0 20-27
BYU 0-1 0-0 24-27
UNLV 0-1 0-0 7-58
New Mexico 0-2 0-0 27-86

Next weeks Schedule

BYU at Duke
Indiana at Colorado St
Northwestern at Wyoming
Missouri at UNLV
Arizona St at San Diego St
Air Force at Hawaii
Brown at Utah

BYU Alumni in the NFL
Ike Wohlman LB Arizona: Did not play

Luther Blake WR Arizona: Released
Willie Godfrey G Arizona: Released

Well we are down to one remaining Dynasty Alumni and he is buried deep on the Bench. With the release of Blake and Godfrey there are now 9 Alumni free agents waiting for a call that will likely not come.

BYU 14 12-09-2004 10:05 PM

2006 Week 3

BYU 34 Duke 9
Record Overall 1-1 Mountain West 0-0

Leaders
Passing
Dwight Gatlin 17-33-284 2 TD 1 Int

Rushing
Daniel Stoddard 20-75

Receiving
Leland Fletcher 5-75 1 TD
Ellis Hitchcock 4-92

Defense
Derek Perry S 7 tackles 1 assist
Justin Watson LB 6 tackles 1 Int 1 TD
Oliver Meehan LB 6 Tackles 1 assist

Recap
On a rainy afternoon in Durham we get a sloppy win, but we’ll take it kind of win. Gatlin is inconsistent after a good first outing, a scene played out way too many times last year, and again the running game was not overwhelming. In fact our offense was nearly non-existent until the second half when Gatlin led 3 successive scoring drives as we were finally able to pull away. In the first half it was all defense as nursing a 3-0 lead in the second quarter Justin Watson returned an interception 69 yards for a touchdown. Then, after 7 minutes of uneventful sparring Bennie “the Jet” Vance picked off Dukes QB Clancy at the BYU 2 and wove his way 98 yards for the games second TD. All in all the Defense had 3 interceptions and made big stops time and again. We did cut our sacks down to 3, but Duke is not formidable up front and I still lose sleep over Gatlin’s safety in the pocket.

Injuries
Oliver Meehan LB-Out Broken Ribs

Meehan is really a gutty player and he could be out for over 2 Months. This Injury is damaging as it could force me to remove Herb Wong’s redshirt if nobody can step up.

Recruiting

Visits
Paul Post QB Sandy, UT-Overall 291 Position 29
Bruce Rhett RB Boulder, CO-Overall 141 Position 17

Commits
None

We get two early visits from players we really want. Post is the top QB to come out of Utah in years and he would give us quality depth. Rhett is out #1 RB priority and is a powerful runner.

Mountain West Scoreboard

BYU 34 Duke 9
Utah 42 Brown 14
Colorado St 31 Indiana 17
Northwestern 26 Wyoming 21
Missouri 42 UNLV 17
Arizona St 27 San Diego St 24
Air Force 31 Hawaii 21

Mountain West Standings

School W L T Pct PF PA W L T Pct PF PA Streak
Utah 2 0 0 1.000 77 28 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Won 2
Colorado State 2 0 0 1.000 44 20 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Won 3
Wyoming 1 1 0 .500 58 57 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Lost 1
Brigham Young 1 1 0 .500 58 36 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Won 1
Air Force 1 1 0 .500 51 48 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Won 1
San Diego State 1 2 0 .333 68 85 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Lost 2
New Mexico 0 2 0 .000 27 86 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Lost 2
UNLV 0 2 0 .000 24 100 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Lost 2

Next weeks Schedule

UNLV at Illinois
Colorado St at Colorado
Wyoming at Boston College
Tennessee at Utah

BYU Alumni in the NFL

Another week on the Bench for our last remaining Dynasty warrior. None of our seniors this year look like solid prospects either so it may be a few Seasons before we have a bonafide star from our Dynasty. On a side note the Cardinals are 3-0 which means Jeff Garcia must be crisp.....An obscure reference for fans of the "Mark Patrick on sports" show. :)

BYU 14 12-10-2004 04:51 PM

2006 Week 4 Bye

Record Overall 1-1 Mountain West 0-0

Leaders
Passing

Rushing

Receiving

Defense

Recap
Not much to report on the bye week, we prepare to open MWC conference play against New Mexico. This is a good opener to build confidence as they are 0-2 and have not played well at all. Hopefully we take advantage of the opportunity to get a lot of kids in and gain valuable experience for the tougher road ahead.

Injuries

It does not look like Fletcher will be back until after New Mexico, and even if he was able to go we would have probably rested him to avoid a re-injury.

Recruiting

Visits
None

Commits
None

We take advantage of the bye to hit the recruiting trail really hard, it spurs no new visits, but overall I feel we are ahead of last years pace in terms of establishing dialogue with quality student athletes.

Mountain West Scoreboard

Illinois 52 UNLV 0
Colorado 28 Colorado St 10
Boston College 28 Wyoming 20
Tennessee 38 Utah 13

A tough week for the league, though Wyoming showed fire and may be better then we are giving them credit for.

Mountain West Standings

Utah 2 1 0 .666 90 66 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Lost 1
Colorado State 2 1 0 .666 54 48 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Lost 1
Brigham Young 1 1 0 .500 58 36 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Won 1
Air Force 1 1 0 .500 51 48 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Won 1
Wyoming 1 2 0 .333 78 85 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Lost 2
San Diego State 1 2 0 .333 68 85 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Lost 2
New Mexico 0 2 0 .000 27 86 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Lost 2
UNLV 0 3 0 .000 34 152 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Lost 3

Next weeks Schedule

Air Force at Colorado St
New Mexico at BYU
UNLV at Utah
Wyoming at San Diego St

Good in State rivalry with Air force and CSU, while UNLV could be in big trouble facing an angry Ute team, smarting from the rout at the hands of Tennessee.

BYU Alumni in the NFL
Ike Wohlman LB Arizona: played sparingly in 34-20 loss at the hands of Green Bay, was not involved in any tackles, but is hanging on to his roster spot tenaciously.

BYU 14 12-10-2004 06:13 PM

2006 Week 5

BYU 63 New Mexico 20
Record Overall 2-1 Mountain West 1-0

Leaders
Passing
Dwight Gatlin 24-34-348 4 TD 1 Int

Rushing
Daniel Stoddard 19-129 3 TD

Receiving
Daniel Stoddard 7-63
Jimmie Mueller 5-110
Leland Fletcher 5-93 2 TD

Defense
Harris Diaz LB 5 tackles 2 assists
Justin Watson LB 5 tackles 1 assist
AJ Foreman S 3 tackles 2 Int
Mike Tinker CB and Derek Perry S returned Ints for Touchdowns

Recap
We take full advantage of a porous New Mexico Defense to rack up 515 yards and finally get the run game going, even better we allow only 1 sack and Gatlin is lights out with what might be his best game to date. We are becoming a second half force as we put together 4 consecutive scoring drives beginning in the third quarter to blow the game out of reach.

Injuries

Fletcher will be back for the Rutgers game to anchor the steadily improving line and this should bolster their growing confidence even more.

Recruiting

Visits
Bo Chavous RB Albuquerque, NM Overall 23 Position 3
Johnnie Derby TE Bakersfield, CA Overall 444 Position 9
Todd Gurley K Henderson, NV Overall 519 Position 13
Quentin Clements S Garden Grove, CA Overall 187 Position 10

Commits
None

4 more recruits elect to trip to the Y, the most promising among them is Blue Chip RB Bo Chavous, the top rated back in the Southwest and 3rd nationally at his position. We were not recruiting him hard but will step up the pace now. Everyone else are solid top 20 players at their position and could all contend for starting spots down the road. With top notch facilities, a new energy and the chance to play early we feel confident that we are on pace for a solid class.

Mountain West Scoreboard

BYU 63 New Mexico 20
Colorado St 24 Air Force 23
Utah 44 UNLV 34
San Diego St 33 Wyoming 7

A barn burner up in Fort Collins as CSU edges Air Force Academy to keep pace with Utah, who struggles against an outclassed UNLV team.

Mountain West Standings

Utah 3 1 0 .750 134 100 1 0 0 1.000 44 34 Won 1
Colorado State 3 1 0 .750 78 71 1 0 0 1.000 24 23 Won 1
Brigham Young 2 1 0 .666 121 56 1 0 0 1.000 63 20 Won 2
San Diego State 2 2 0 .500 101 92 1 0 0 1.000 33 7 Won 1
Air Force 1 2 0 .333 74 72 0 1 0 .000 23 24 Lost 1
Wyoming 1 3 0 .250 85 118 0 1 0 .000 7 33 Lost 3
New Mexico 0 3 0 .000 47 149 0 1 0 .000 20 63 Lost 3
UNLV 0 4 0 .000 68 196 0 1 0 .000 34 44 Lost 4

Next weeks Schedule

Wyoming at Colorado
BYU at Rutgers
Dartmouth at Air Force
Colorado St at Brown
New Mexico at New Mexico St
Yale at San Diego St

The MWC could go 5-1 next week as the Colorado schools and SDSU look to feast on the Ivy League, while we play Rutgers who is 0-2 and has been outscored 83-0. They are coming off a 2 week bye though and these teams can be dangerous.

BYU Alumni in the NFL
Ike Wohlman LB Arizona: Did not play in 27-19 win against the Bears. For the year he has appeared in 2 games and is credited with 1 tackle, but still pulling that NFL pay check!

BYU 14 12-10-2004 09:41 PM

2006 Week 6

BYU 58 Rutgers 22
Record Overall 3-1 Mountain West 1-0

Leaders
Passing
Dwight Gatlin 19-35-311 3 TD 3 Int

Rushing
Daniel Stoddard 39-171 3 TD

Receiving
Daniel Stoddard 5-42 1 TD
Leland Fletcher 5-124 1 TD
Ellis Hitchcock 4-96

Defense
Mike Tinker CB 4 tackles 1 sack
Darryl Newville CB 4 tackles 1 sack
Barry Irish CB 4 tackles 1 Int

Recap
Our defense gave Rutgers its first points of the Season, but they also proved very opportunistic recording 5 picks for the second game in a row, which now gives us 14 interceptions for the Season!! Gatlin had another up and down game throwing 3 TD’s but also 3 Int’s of his own. The tone was truly set with the running game as Stoddard exploded for 171 yards on 39 carries, which equated to a 13 minute time of possession advantage. After tearing out to a 31-7 first quarter lead we did let Rutgers get as close as 37-22, which bothers me, but we responded to score the gamers final 21 points to complete the rout.

Injuries

Still only one starter out which will remain the key to our success, given our lack of depth.

Recruiting

Visits
Roger Bronson WR Saint George, UT Overall 578 Position 45
Juan McConnell G Phoenix, AZ Overall 137 Position 13
Andrew Reynolds LB San Antonio, TX Overall 91 Position 6

Commits
None
Three more visits but sill no commits and 2 key losses as Bo Chavous takes his ample game to Nebraska and Johnnie Derby stays home and elects to attend Stanford. We will return our focus to Bruce Rhett for our backfield and will really up the efforts on Andrew Reynolds, who was another we didn’t think would give us a look.

Mountain West Scoreboard

BYU 58 Rutgers 22
Colorado 52 Wyoming 3
Air Force 48 Dartmouth 6
Colorado St 33 Brown 28
New Mexico St 30 New Mexico 6
San Diego St 21 Yale 18

Wyoming is brought back to reality against Colorado and it appears they have lost the will to compete, and now bad is New Mexico? The rest of the MWC wins, albeit Rutgers and the Ivy league will not make anyone tremble in fear, still a 4-2 week is better than the alternative for the League. At this point I think we have a legitimate shot to contend for the League crown if we continue to move the ball like we have been.

Mountain West Standings

Colorado State 4 1 0 .800 111 99 1 0 0 1.000 24 23 Won 2
Brigham Young 3 1 0 .750 179 78 1 0 0 1.000 63 20 Won 3
Utah 3 1 0 .750 134 100 1 0 0 1.000 44 34 Won 1
San Diego State 3 2 0 .600 122 110 1 0 0 1.000 33 7 Won 2
Air Force 2 2 0 .500 122 78 0 1 0 .000 23 24 Won 1
Wyoming 1 4 0 .200 88 170 0 1 0 .000 7 33 Lost 4
UNLV 0 4 0 .000 68 196 0 1 0 .000 34 44 Lost 4
New Mexico 0 4 0 .000 53 179 0 1 0 .000 20 63 Lost 4

Next weeks Schedule

Air Force at New Mexico
Colorado St at BYU ESPN 2
UNLV at Wyoming
San Diego St at Utah Cox local TV

We break the top 50 and land a National cable game on ESPN 2, this is a key early League game and the loser will be facing an uphill climb the rest of the way. San Diego St at Utah will be another key game with both teams at 1-0 in League play.

BYU Alumni in the NFL
Ike Wohlman LB Arizona: Plays late in the Cards 31-10 Loss to the Bears and records 1 tackle and his first career sack. Hopefully this will be the start of some more playing time as Ike fights to make the most of his chances.

SweetC 12-11-2004 08:40 AM

I like the style of your posts, easy to read and good mix of stats and narratives, keep it going!

BYU 14 12-12-2004 10:59 AM

2006 Week 7

BYU 48 Colorado St 17
Record Overall 4-1 Mountain West 2-0

Leaders
Passing
Dwight Gatlin 21-32-362 4 TD 2 Int

Rushing
Daniel Stoddard 15-91 1 TD

Receiving
Leland Fletcher 7-180 1 TD
Daniel Stoddard 6-53 1 TD

Defense
Derek Perry S 7 tackles 1 assist
Harvey Geary LB 6 tackles 2 assists
Barry Wohlman DT 4 tackles 1 assist

Recap
Things were starting out bleak as CSU held a 17-3 lead with under 5 minutes to go in the second quarter after Donnie KcKnight hit Clay DeGrange with a 22 yard rope. Things turned quickly as the electrifying RS Freshman Ellis Hitchcock returned the ensuing kickoff a school and MWC record 108 yards for a touchdown!! Ellis has been relatively quiet as a receiver recently as teams often double him up, but he has energized the Cougar special teams with his return ability. The attention given Hitchcock has also allowed our true Freshman surprise Leland Fletcher to become a game breaker as his performance earns him POG honors. Defensively we made some adjustments and CSU’s offense was done for the day as their 7 second half possessions resulted in 1 missed FG and 6 punts. Our offense was unstoppable after the half as we scored on 6 of 7 possessions and again established ourselves as a dominating second half team.

Injuries
Oliver Meehan LB-Doubtful Broken Ribs

Meehan should be ready after the UNLV game

Recruiting

Visits
Nick Levitt TE Modesto, CA Overall 514 Position 13
Justin Jenkins G Philadelphia, PA Overall 2 Position 1
Lance Boyd G San Francisco, CA Overall 295 Position 28
Bryce Schultz G Washington, DC Overall 208 Position 21
Mack Linquist P Fairplay, CO Overall 685 Position 17
Jackie Trippi DE Akron, OH Overall 45 Position 6
Shaun Keith LB Oakdale, CT Overall 335 Position 19
Thurman Upshaw LB Fleming Neon, KY Overall 457 Position 27
Ricardo Bradford LB Morgan Hill, CA Overall 239 Position 14
Ty Lucas CB Fort Lupton, CO Overall 191 Position 14
Kendrick Cota S Carlsbad, CA Overall 414 Position 24

Commits
Andy Schroder WR Jacksonville, FL Overall 67 Position 6
Kirk Saurez T Milwaukee, WI Overall 52 Position 7
Pete Winslett LB Fair Oaks, CA Overall 168 Position 7

We get our first commit and they all are top 10 at their position which is great news. The best of the lot is Saurez, who could be starting as a true freshman, he has all the tools and all the intangibles to be great. We have a slew of visitors, including Justin Jenkins who is the best Offensive Lineman available; we may have a shot with him. Jackie Trippi is also within the top 50 in the country overall and would be a great addition to the D-Line next to Wohlman. If we land one more Blur Chipper I will be happy, especially if he is a Guard from Philadelphia or a Linebacker from Texas. 

Mountain West Scoreboard

BYU 48 Colorado St 17
Air Force 35 New Mexico 28
Wyoming 34 UNLV 14
Utah 28 San Diego St 21

A big win for us helps us keep pace with Utah who edges SDSU. Air Force struggles with a very bad New Mexico Team and it is shaping as a battle between us and that School up North.

Mountain West Standings

Brigham Young 4 1 0 .800 227 95 2 0 0 1.000 111 37 Won 4
Utah 4 1 0 .800 162 121 2 0 0 1.000 72 55 Won 2
Colorado State 4 2 0 .666 128 147 1 1 0 .500 41 71 Lost 1
Air Force 3 2 0 .600 157 106 1 1 0 .500 58 52 Won 2
San Diego State 3 3 0 .500 143 138 1 1 0 .500 54 35 Lost 1
Wyoming 2 4 0 .333 122 184 1 1 0 .500 41 47 Won 1
New Mexico 0 5 0 .000 81 214 0 2 0 .000 48 98 Lost 5
UNLV 0 5 0 .000 82 230 0 2 0 .000 48 78 Lost 5

Next weeks Schedule

BYU at UNLV
Air Force at Boston College
Utah at Colorado St
New Mexico at Wyoming

We face a horrible UNLV team who statistically has both the worst Defense and second worst Offense in the MWC, while we have the best on both sides of the ball. We score 45.4 points a game (3rd in the nation) while UNLV gives up 46.0 (3rd worst) should be a mismatch, but the Rebels did play Utah tough. Gatlin is the #1 ranked QB in the MWC and Stoddard the #1 RB. We also are the top passing team in the conference and #8 nationally.

BYU Alumni in the NFL
Ike Wohlman LB Arizona: Does not play as the Cardinals fall to Seattle 13-6 to slip below .500 for the first time this Season.

BYU 14 12-12-2004 11:03 AM

Thanks for comments SC, I am having fun with this. It will be better when we get some folks in the NFL to follow that actually play :)

BYU 14 12-15-2004 02:29 AM

2006 Week 8

BYU 48 UNLV 22
Record Overall 5-1 Mountain West 3-0

Leaders
Passing
Dwight Gatlin 24-37-340 4 TD 1 Int

Rushing
Daniel Stoddard 19-140 2 TD

Receiving
Ellis Hitchcock 9-122 2 TD
Leland Fletcher 6-95 1 TD

Defense
Monty Claytor CB 5 tackles
Charles Peters LB 4 tackles 1 sack 1 Int

Recap
We fall behind 7-0, then unleash the hounds. We score on 5 of our next 6 possessions to take a 31-7 lead into the Half and coast from there. Gatlin rediscovers Ellis Hitchcock, connecting with the California flyer for 2 second quarter TD strikes en-route to a huge day for both players. Stoddard again surpasses the century mark behind our steadily improving Offensive line, though we still allow 4 sacks. Defensively we pick 3 more passes off, and play a lot of 2nd and 3rd stringers as we are able to maintain a big lead throughout. This also allows us to rest some starters that are dinged up. All in all we pile up 553 yards of total offense for the game, and we now rank 7th nationally in Passing offense at 331.3 YPG, and 3rd in scoring at 45.8, only Michigan and TCU do it better.

Injuries

Harris Diaz has also been hampered by a thumb injury and he has been pulled early when the games are under control.

Recruiting

Visits
Korey Webb T Chula Vista, CA Overall 72 Position 9

Commits
Paul Post QB Sandy, UT CA Overall 291 Position 29
Nick Levitt TE Modesto, CA Overall 514 Position 13
Lance Boyd G San Francisco, CA Overall 295 Position 28

We lose to coveted recruits when Bruce Rhett RB goes to MWC rival Air Force and top ranked Offensive Lineman Justin Jenkins G taps Michigan as his home for the next 5 years. Jenkins was a dream, but we really thought we had Rhett and his lose hurts! Still we score the depth we wanted at QB with local boy Post and land a solid G in Boyd. Only one new visit in Webb, but he is a good one. Our class is shaping up to be pretty good and if we can score some secondary help and a couple more solid Linemen we will be happy.

Mountain West Scoreboard

BYU 48 UNLV 22
Boston College 24 Air Force 14
Utah 17 Colorado St 16
Wyoming 48 New Mexico 14

Still us and the School up North, though Colorado St gave Utah much more trouble than we had with them. Wyoming crushes New Mexico, but it’s New Mexico.

Mountain West Standings

Brigham Young 5 1 0 .833 275 117 3 0 0 1.000 159 59 Won 5
Utah 5 1 0 .833 179 137 3 0 0 1.000 89 71 Won 3
Wyoming 3 4 0 .428 170 198 2 1 0 .666 89 61 Won 2
Air Force 3 3 0 .500 171 130 1 1 0 .500 58 52 Lost 1
San Diego State 3 3 0 .500 143 138 1 1 0 .500 54 35 Lost 1
Colorado State 4 3 0 .571 144 164 1 2 0 .333 57 88 Lost 2
New Mexico 0 6 0 .000 95 262 0 3 0 .000 62 146 Lost 6
UNLV 0 6 0 .000 104 278 0 3 0 .000 70 126 Lost 6

Next weeks Schedule

San Diego St at BYU
Wyoming at Air Force
Utah at New Mexico

Utah has the week off against the Lobos while we play host to the SDSU Aztecs, who historically give us trouble with their wide open Offense. We have Notre Dame coming up in 2 weeks, which will really gauge our progress, but we cannot afford to look past the Aztecs.

BYU Alumni in the NFL
Ike Wohlman LB Arizona: Does not play again in a 17-16 loss to St Louis. The Cardinals promising start has now begun to resemble business as usual as they now are only a half game ahead of last place Seattle.

BYU 14 12-15-2004 03:21 AM

2006 Week 9

BYU 76 San Diego St 23
Record Overall 6-1 Mountain West 4-0

Leaders
Passing
Dwight Gatlin 22-32-281 6 TD 1 Int

Rushing
Daniel Stoddard 30-226 1 TD

Receiving
Ellis Hitchcock 9-120 4 TD
Daniel Stoddard 6-59 1 TD

Defense
Harris Diaz LB 3 tackles 1 sack 1 Int 1 TD
Justin Watson LB 3 tackles 2 assists 1 Int
Barry Irish CB 2 Int 1 TD (6 Interceptions for the year for our Nickle back)

Recap
We are behind 13-0 barely 3 minutes in when we decide to play and once we decide we never stop! SDSU plays 5 DB’s and looks to take away our deep game. We oblige by taking the underneath routes and unveiling a punishing running game. The early deficit becomes a 42-16 Halftime lead and it only gets better. We again top 500 yards total offense and record an incredible 6 interceptions, our third game with 5 or more, the secondary are ball hawks!! 2 of these picks are returned for scores as our defense, though not stout, can generate the big play. We were also 9/13 in 3rd down conversions and San Diego St was victimized by 22 Penalties!! Not surprisingly their Coach Jackie Henson is terrible with discipline.

Injuries
Jimmie Mueller WR-Doubtful Strained Triceps

That tapping you hear is not the Raven, it is I, knocking on wood as we continue to be lucky with injuries.

Recruiting

Visits
Kenyon Witcher RB Winchester, KY Overall 322 Position 33
Steve Monroe G Flint, MI Overall 304 Position 29
Malcolm Williams G Sierra Vista, AZ Overall 407 Position 53

Commits
None

Kendrick Kota S, tells us he has always fancied himself as Cat like and thinks the Cougars would be a good fit, he then takes his game to Maryland. Note to Kota, a Terrapin is a Turtle!! Not much else here, we are still fighting for some good prospects, though only 6 commits to date concerns me some. I hope we land Witcher cause you gotta love that name.

Mountain West Scoreboard
BYU 76 San Diego St 23
Air Force 17 Wyoming 12
Utah 45 New Mexico 21

Nothing changes as Utah coasts and our big win gives us a lot of confidence going into the Notre Dame game. Wyoming is a real enigma as they again look respectable in a tough loss to Air force.

Mountain West Standings

Brigham Young 6 1 0 .857 351 140 4 0 0 1.000 235 82 Won 6
Utah 6 1 0 .857 224 158 4 0 0 1.000 134 92 Won 4
Air Force 4 3 0 .571 188 142 2 1 0 .666 75 64 Won 1
Wyoming 3 5 0 .375 182 215 2 2 0 .500 101 78 Lost 1
Colorado State 4 3 0 .571 144 164 1 2 0 .333 57 88 Lost 2
San Diego State 3 4 0 .428 166 214 1 2 0 .333 77 111 Lost 2
UNLV 0 6 0 .000 104 278 0 3 0 .000 70 126 Lost 6
New Mexico 0 7 0 .000 116 307 0 4 0 .000 83 191 Lost 7

Next weeks Schedule

Notre Dame at BYU
Air Force at UNLV
New Mexico at Yale
Colorado St at San Diego St

Us and New Mexico have none League games, while Air Force takes on UNLV in what should be a laugher. CSU and SDSU will be interesting as CSU comes off a bye and we all know what happened to San Diego St, they are wounded and angry.

BYU Alumni in the NFL
Ike Wohlman LB Arizona: Bye

BYU 14 12-15-2004 04:44 PM

2006 Week 10

Notre Dame 63 BYU 3
Record Overall 6-2 Mountain West 4-0

Leaders
Passing
Bryce Martin 11-19-111
Dwight Gatlin 4-20-79 1 Int

Rushing
Calvin Shaw 9-22
Daniel Stoddard 2-0

Receiving
Calvin Shaw 5-42
Leland Fletcher 2-51

Defense
Derek Perry S 10 tackles 1 assist 1 Int
Harris Diaz LB 7 tackles 5 assists
Barry Wohlman 7 tackles 3 assists 1/2 sack

Recap
Where to start…..well it was a nice breezy 63 degrees at kickoff, that was about the highlight. We were down 21-0 after one and never got closer after that then 28-3. Notre Dame gave us a big wake up call gashing our defense for 654 total yards, while holding us to 209. Gatlin had far and away his worst game as a Cougar and was benched before the half. We did get 2 more picks, but after that the highlight of the day was, well nothing. 3 for 17 on third down, 9 penalties for 71 yards and an 8 minute time of possession disadvantage. Plain and simple around every turn was an Leprechaun with a big club and we took them all. We need to recover quickly because we have Utah next, and that game will probably decide who represents the MWC in the post Season.

Injuries
Geoff Joseph TE-Out Pulled Quadriceps
Jimmie Mueller WR-Doubtful Strained Triceps

Could have been worse, but Joseph was our starting Tight End, though not a big part of our Offense.

Recruiting

Visits
None

Commits
Korey Webb T Chula Vista, CA Overall 72 Position 9
Mack Linquist P Fairplay, CO Overall 685 Position 17

We get 3 solid commits, with the additions of Webb and Reynolds particularly exciting as they are both top 10 at their Positions. We will have solid bookend Tackles with the earlier commit of Kirk Saurez. We now have 9 commits and with 4 top 100 overall players this will be our best class yet, a signal that things are headed in the right direction at least.

Mountain West Scoreboard
Notre Dame 63 BYU 3
Air Force 42 UNLV 14
New Mexico 59 Yale 24
Colorado St 38 San Diego St 13

We have already been over our pain, New Mexico gets their first win over the Ivy leagues Yale squad, while San Diego St did not recover from the shellacking we gave them and fall big to CSU. UNLV still sucks.

Mountain West Standings

Utah 6 1 0 .857 224 158 4 0 0 1.000 134 92 Won 4
Brigham Young 6 2 0 .750 354 203 4 0 0 1.000 235 82 Lost 1
Air Force 5 3 0 .625 230 156 3 1 0 .750 117 78 Won 2
Colorado State 5 3 0 .625 182 177 2 2 0 .500 95 101 Won 1
Wyoming 3 5 0 .375 182 215 2 2 0 .500 101 78 Lost 1
San Diego State 3 5 0 .375 179 252 1 3 0 .250 90 149 Lost 3
New Mexico 1 7 0 .125 175 331 0 4 0 .000 83 191 Won 1
UNLV 0 7 0 .000 118 320 0 4 0 .000 84 168 Lost 7

Next weeks Schedule

BYU at Utah ESPN
San Diego St at Air Force
Wyoming at Colorado St
UNLV at New Mexico

Not a good wave to be riding into the game for the MWC Championship, but we will have to put it behind us….it’s rivalry week! UNLV will try to get win #1 against the equally hapless Lobo’s while Air Force looks to stay in contention for a share of the MWC crown.

BYU Alumni in the NFL
Ike Wohlman LB Arizona: Inactive Roster.

Return of Morlon Greenwood makes Wohlman expendable, at least to the extent that he is needed solely for injury insurance. Things do not look promising long term for our only Alum on an NFL team at the moment.

BYU 14 12-15-2004 10:42 PM

2006 Week 11

Utah 38 BYU 31
Record Overall 6-3 Mountain West 4-1

Leaders
Passing
Dwight Gatlin 15-25-260 3 TD

Rushing
Daniel Stoddard 18-87 1 TD

Receiving
Leland Fletcher 6-100 1 TD
Daniel Stoddard 4-42

Defense
Harris Diaz LB 14 tackles 7 assists
Derek Perry S 13 tackles 4 assists
AJ Foreman 8 tackles 2 assists

Recap
A heartbreaking loss, but everything a rivalry game should be. The teams went back and forth all day and neither team turned the ball over. We led 14-7 after one, but the Ute’s stormed back to take a 24-14 lead into the break as Rodney Dostie looked like Michael Vick against us. On the day he was 16-22-274 4 TD and added 43 yards rushing on 11 carries. In the end it was our inability to shut down the Ute’s running game when it mattered the most. After Calvin Berkebile tied the score at 31 with 8:05 left on a 34 yard FG, Dostie engineered a masterful drive that ended with a 28 yard scoring strike to Neil Dellenbach for the game winning score. After a Cougar punt Utah was able to run out the clock, twice picking up first downs on big 3rd down runs. We are 0-2 against top 20 teams with this loss, but this is far better than the pasting we took at the hands of Notre Dame the week before. One extremely bright spot was Harris Diaz, who was a maniac recording 21 total tackles for the game!!

Injuries

Six other players are nicked up including Diaz and Stoddard but they should all be ready to go against the Falcons this week.

Recruiting

Visits
Jorge Simmons CB Riverside, CA Overall UR Position 75
Ed Cochran CB Boise, ID Overall UR Position 87

Commits
Todd Gurley K Henderson, NV Overall 519 Position 13
Ralph Greer LB Gresham, OR Overall UR Position 83

We get the Kicker we wanted and add some depth at LB. We are still looking to get help at both CB and S, as well bolster the O-Line and add a RB and DE. We are still in the hunt for Jackie Trippi to fill the DE spot, who is ranked 45th overall in the country and 6th at his position, we would really solidify a solid recruiting class.

Mountain West Scoreboard
Utah 38 BYU 31
San Diego St 24 Air Force 17
Wyoming 28 Colorado St 7
New Mexico 35 UNLV 7

A week of upsets as SDSU takes out Air force and Wyoming shocks Colorado St, this makes our game against Air Force this week huge as we can lock up 2nd place in the MWC with a win and secure a Bowl game.

Mountain West Standings

Utah 7 1 0 .875 262 189 5 0 0 1.000 172 123 Won 5
Brigham Young 6 3 0 .666 385 241 4 1 0 .800 266 120 Lost 2
Air Force 5 4 0 .555 247 180 3 2 0 .600 134 102 Lost 1
Wyoming 4 5 0 .444 210 222 3 2 0 .600 129 85 Won 1
Colorado State 5 4 0 .555 189 205 2 3 0 .400 102 129 Lost 1
San Diego State 4 5 0 .444 203 269 2 3 0 .400 114 166 Won 1
New Mexico 2 7 0 .222 212 338 1 4 0 .200 120 198 Won 2
UNLV 0 8 0 .000 125 357 0 5 0 .000 91 205 Lost 8

Next weeks Schedule

Air Force at BYU Fox Sports
Colorado St at UNLV
San Diego St at New Mexico
Wyoming at Utah ESPN 2

If ever we needed Wyoming to pull an upset, this is the week as a win against Utah would help our quest to share the MWC crown. CSU looks to get Bowl eligible against UNLV after being upset by Wyoming. Air Force is in a similar situation against us.

BYU Alumni in the NFL

An injury to Karlos Dansby allows Ike to be placed back on the active Roster, he is a gamer who is fighting to stick in the NFL.

BYU 14 12-16-2004 04:54 PM

2006 Week 12

Air Force 32 BYU 26
Record Overall 6-4 Mountain West 4-2

Leaders
Passing
Dwight Gatlin 15-27-260 2 TD 1 Int

Rushing
Daniel Stoddard 17-58 2 TD

Receiving
Ellis Hitchcock 5-119 2 TD
Daniel Stoddard 4-21

Defense
Harris Diaz LB 9 tackles 4 assists
Harvey Geary LB 6 Tackles 2 assists
Derek Perry S 6 tackles 2 assists

Recap
Our third loss in a row and this is just as heartbreaking as the Utah game. The Gabe Donovan/Alfred Anthony show killed us as Donovan threw for 253 yards and 4 TD and Anthony pitched in 141 yards rushing and 51 receiving to lead a well balanced Falcon attack. Our Defense has not been the same since the Notre Dame blowout and today Air force hangs a nearly 10 minute TOP advantage on us 34:33 to 25:27. We again are miserable on third down converting just 2 of 9. In addition our Defense gives up 3 scoring drives of 10 plays or more, that just wears our Defense down. It is here that our lack of depth is most apparent, and hopefully we can develop our kids enough to fix this by next Season. Offensively we just never got in a rhythm, but still led 26-21 at the half before folding. My boasts of how strong of a second half team we were several weeks ago ring pretty hollow now.

Injuries

We are healing up, but sill have some minor aches and pains that are effecting our players.

Recruiting

Visits
Brian Riddell G Arvada, CO Overall UR Position 90

Commits
Perry Ah Yat RB Oakdale, MN Overall 737 Position 68
Jackie Trippi DE Akron, OH Overall 45 Position 6
Ed Cochran Boise, ID Overall UR Position 87

We for all intents and purposes close out recruiting with a huge coup stealing Trippi from the heart of Pac-10 country. Ah Yat will provide depth at RB but will not challenge Stoddard or Fredrickson who is waiting in the wings. We still need a Guard and a Safety and are making some late calls to fill these needs.

Mountain West Scoreboard
Air Force 32 BYU 26
Colorado St 42 UNLV 14
San Diego St 28 New Mexico 14
Utah 35 Wyoming 7

Utah clinches the MWC title with an easy win while CSU looks to be finishing strong. UNLV at this point is playing for pride and a Coaching change could be in order here after a horrible Season. We are atop the MWC in passing Offense and 3rd in rushing Defense, though this statistic is misleading as our failure to stop the run has done us in during our 3 game skid.

Mountain West Standings

Utah 8 1 0 .888 297 196 6 0 0 1.000 207 130 Won 6
Air Force 6 4 0 .600 279 206 4 2 0 .666 166 128 Won 1
Brigham Young 6 4 0 .600 411 273 4 2 0 .666 292 152 Lost 3
Colorado State 6 4 0 .600 231 219 3 3 0 .500 144 143 Won 1
San Diego State 5 5 0 .500 231 283 3 3 0 .500 142 180 Won 2
Wyoming 4 6 0 .400 217 257 3 3 0 .500 136 120 Lost 1
New Mexico 2 8 0 .200 226 366 1 5 0 .166 134 226 Lost 1
UNLV 0 9 0 .000 139 399 0 6 0 .000 105 247 Lost 9

Next weeks Schedule

BYU at Wyoming
Utah at Air Force Local TV
New Mexico at Colorado St
UNLV at San Diego St

We need a win against a dangerous Wyoming squad and a Utah victory over Air Force to secure second place in the MWC and a Bowl bid. Utah is ranked 12th and would like a strong finish to try and crack the top 10, while CSU, along with Air Force are fighting for post Season privileges. All in all not a bad Season for the MWC, but apart from Utah nobody is ready for the national stage at this time.

BYU Alumni in the NFL
Ike Wohlman LB Arizona: Inactive Roster

Dansby is activated, which relegates Ike back to the practice squad. The Cardinals lose to Kansas City 20-14 to fall to 5-6 on the year and will need a lot of help, along with 4 or 5 wins to make the playoffs.

BYU 14 12-16-2004 05:35 PM

2006 Week 13

BYU 23 Wyoming 7
Record Overall 7-4 Mountain West 5-2

Leaders
Passing
Dwight Gatlin 19-27-231 2 TD

Rushing
Daniel Stoddard 33-187 1 TD

Receiving
Daniel Stoddard 7-75 1 TD
Ellis Hitchcock 5-72 1 TD

Defense
Harris Diaz LB 9 tackles 1 assist
Justin Watson LB 4 tackles 2 assists 1 Int
Bennie Vance CB 4 tackles 3 assists

Recap
Our goal here was simple, get the ball to our stud and control the line of scrimmage. Though not flashy, it worked as planned as we took it to Wyoming in the trenches and Stoddard had another big day compiling 262 all-purpose yards, while our Defense held the Cowboys to 329 total yards and grabbed 3 more interceptions. Air Force’s upset of Utah however leaves no guarantee we will be going Bowling, so we will have to sweat it out for a couple of weeks. Regardless it was good to get a win to close it out and to witness the emergence of our line over the year as we end the regular Season with a 3000 yard passer and a 1000 yard rusher. In addition playing half the year with torn ligaments in his Thumb Harris Diaz finished the year on fire, which will hopefully get him some all MWC votes.

Injuries

Nothing new here and hopefully a couple weeks off will allow us to enter a Bowl game completely healthy, if not was have all spring and summer to get over the nagging injuries effecting Diaz, Meehan and others of less importance.

Recruiting

Visits
Mack Lynch S Leucadia, CA Overall UR Position 84

Commits
Brian Riddell G Arvada, CO Overall UR Position 90

Riddell gives us some depth, though I am already worried about the Guard position next Season, hopefully some of the young kids can develop. We still need a Safety and will probably contact a couple more kids in case Lynch does not pan out. We will not get a star here, but perhaps there is a Diamond in the rough out there that can help us as our Pass defense this year was lethal…..half the time to our opponents, half the time to us.

Mountain West Scoreboard
BYU 23 Wyoming 7
Air Force 31 Utah 24
Colorado St 29 New Mexico 21
San Diego St 35 UNLV 30

The Air Force academies upset of Utah is galling as we could have tied for a share of the crown had we beat the Falcons last week. Regardless AFA closed out the Season hot and along with us, CSU and to a lesser extent San Diego St are all on the Bowl bubble.

Mountain West Standings

Utah 8 2 0 .800 321 227 6 1 0 .857 231 161 Lost 1
Air Force 7 4 0 .636 310 230 5 2 0 .714 197 152 Won 2
Brigham Young 7 4 0 .636 434 280 5 2 0 .714 315 159 Won 1
Colorado State 7 4 0 .636 260 240 4 3 0 .571 173 164 Won 2
San Diego State 6 5 0 .545 266 313 4 3 0 .571 177 210 Won 3
Wyoming 4 7 0 .363 224 280 3 4 0 .428 143 143 Lost 2
New Mexico 2 9 0 .181 247 395 1 6 0 .142 155 255 Lost 2
UNLV 0 10 0 .000 169 434 0 7 0 .000 135 282 Lost 10

Next weeks Schedule

Utah at West Virginia Fox Sports
Nevada at UNLV

Utah closes it with a big game against West Virginia and a win could take some sting off the stumble against Air Force. For UNLV it is only a question of getting a bit of pride to take into the off Season.

BYU Alumni in the NFL

The Cardinals edge Tampa Bay to climb back to .500 at 6-6, while Ike wiles away the week chasing down Thomas Jones with the practice squad.

BYU 14 12-16-2004 06:07 PM

2006 Weeks 14 and 15

No Games scheduled
Record Overall 7-4 Mountain West 5-2

Bowl Game
We are invited to the GMAC Bowl to play against 25th ranked Washington State from the Pac 10. They are 8-3 overall and finished 5th in a tough Conference, with all 3 losses coming to Pac 10 foes. It will be a good test and another chance to knock off a top 25 team, which would be a first on my Coaching regime.

Injuries
None

We still have some nagging injuries but everyone will be ready for the Bowl game.

Recruiting

Visits
Wade Streck S Milwaukie, OR Overall UR Position UR

Commits
Wade Streck S Milwaukie, OR Overall UR Position UR

Streck fills out our class of 2006 and may be that Diamond in the rough. From what I see he was extremely underrated and had 5 D1 Schools looking at him but nobody would pull the trigger. He committed halfway through his visit and is looking forward to being a Cougar.

Mountain West Scoreboard
UNLV 30 Nevada 0
West Virginia 34 Utah 13
Both games in week 14

Utah bombs badly in their chance to regain some stature; however they were the lucky recipients of an early invite to the Cotton Bowl, which they accepted prior to this game. It’s all about the Rebels as UNLV can at least be happy winning their final game against cross state rival Nevada.

Mountain West Standings

Utah 8 3 0 .727 334 261 6 1 0 .857 231 161 Lost 2
Air Force 7 4 0 .636 310 230 5 2 0 .714 197 152 Won 2
Brigham Young 7 4 0 .636 434 280 5 2 0 .714 315 159 Won 1
Colorado State 7 4 0 .636 260 240 4 3 0 .571 173 164 Won 2
San Diego State 6 5 0 .545 266 313 4 3 0 .571 177 210 Won 3
Wyoming 4 7 0 .363 224 280 3 4 0 .428 143 143 Lost 2
New Mexico 2 9 0 .181 247 395 1 6 0 .142 155 255 Lost 2
UNLV 1 10 0 .090 199 434 0 7 0 .000 135 282 Won 1

2006 Bowl Games

Game Matchup
Rose Bowl Michigan (11-0) vs Georgia (11-1)
Orange Bowl Ohio State (10-1) vs Tennessee (9-2)
Fiesta Bowl Maryland (9-2) vs Nebraska (11-1)
Cotton Bowl Southern California (9-2) vs Utah (8-3)
Sugar Bowl Clemson (8-3) vs Purdue (10-2)
Peach Bowl Oklahoma (9-3) vs California (10-1)
Liberty Bowl Kansas State (9-2) vs Miami of Florida (7-4)
Gator Bowl Pittsburgh (9-2) vs Louisiana State (8-4)
Holiday Bowl Penn State (8-3) vs Air Force (7-4)
Sun Bowl Virginia (8-3) vs Arizona State (9-2)
Aloha Bowl Iowa (7-4) vs Florida (9-2)
Motor City Bowl Georgia Tech (7-4) vs Memphis (8-3)
Independence Bowl Texas A&M (8-3) vs Washington (6-5)
Citrus Bowl Colorado State (7-4) vs Notre Dame (9-2)
Outback Bowl Virginia Tech (6-5) vs Auburn (8-3)
Alamo Bowl Colorado (7-4) vs Boise State (10-1)
GMAC Bowl Washington State (8-3) vs Brigham Young (7-4)
Bluebonnet Bowl Texas (8-3) vs Miami of Ohio (10-2)
Oahu Bowl UCLA (7-4) vs South Carolina (6-5)
Tangerine Bowl Boston College (10-1) vs Texas Christian (9-2)
Gotham City Bowl West Virginia (7-4) vs Cornell (8-3)
Humanitarian Bowl Bowling Green (7-4) vs South Florida (8-3)
Las Vegas Bowl North Texas (8-3) vs Pennsylvania (10-1)

We have 4 MWC teams make the post Season with Air Force taking the Holiday Bowl spot we coveted. Colorado St and Notre Dame in the Citrus Bowl is a bizarre matchup and will not be a very competitive game at all. The Bowl committee blew this one.

BYU Alumni in the NFL

The Cards fall to 6-8 losing to Oakland 35-28 and St Louis 19-14 to fall from playoff contention. Wohlman, barring an injury looks like he will finish the year on the inactive Roster. His future after that is up in the air depending of what direction the Cardinals take in the Off Season.

BYU 14 12-16-2004 10:05 PM

2006 Post Season

GMAC Bowl Washington St 49 BYU 7
Record Overall 7-5 Mountain West 5-2

Leaders
Passing
Dwight Gatlin 7-17-100 2 Int
Bryce Martin 6-16-99 4 Int

Rushing
Daniel Stoddard 7-88 1 TD

Receiving
Leland Fletcher 5-119
Ellis Hitchcock 3-37

Defense
Bennie Vance CB 10 tackles
AJ Foreman S 8 tackles 2 assists
Alvin Fletcher CB 7 tackles 3 assists

Recap
Cougars VS Cougars as we brought high hopes into this game with the chance to knock off a Pac 10 foe. After an interception put a stop to WSU’s opening 10 play drive, our Offense took the field fired up and ready to strike. Three plays later Washington States Scottie Rhodes stepped in front of a Dwight Gatlin pass, raced 29 yards to score and the route was on. WSU split time between Clyde Tucker and Stephen Terrell, and the 2 headed QB monster combined for 398 yards going 31-40. Our duet of Gatlin and Martin looked like a duo better suited to making a Country music album after an off key performance that featured 6 interceptions between them. The lone offensive bright spot was Stoddard ripping off a 75 yard TD run early in the third quarter. Unfortunately on his other 6 carries he only gained 13 yards total, and after being down 35-0 at the half we were not going to resort to smash mouth Football anyway. The performance of our front 7 was horrible, which is apparent when our top 3 tacklers (all with 10 total tackles or more) are from the secondary. Losing 4 of 5 to end the year was not what I had hoped for, but we have a good idea of the work we need to do in the off season, the first order of which may be looking at a new D coordinator as our Pass Defense is ranked 122nd in the Nation by the time the final Gun goes off.

Injuries
None-We end the year with no major injuries to rehab and we will hit spring ball in full health.

Recruiting
Visits
None

Commits
None

We have handed out our allotment of Scholarships and Rivals.com ranks our recruiting class 17th in the country. We have proven in our tenure that we can recruit, but it is time those recruits started paying dividends on the field.

Post Season Scoreboard

Game Matchup
Rose Bowl Michigan (12-0) 38, Georgia (11-2) 12
Orange Bowl Tennessee (10-2) 17, Ohio State (10-2) 14
Fiesta Bowl Nebraska (12-1) 33, Maryland (9-3) 7
Cotton Bowl Southern California (10-2) 59, Utah (8-4) 23
Sugar Bowl Purdue (11-2) 20, Clemson (8-4) 19
Peach Bowl Oklahoma (10-3) 33, California (10-2) 9
Liberty Bowl Miami of Florida (8-4) 34, Kansas State (9-3) 9
Gator Bowl Pittsburgh (10-2) 42, Louisiana State (8-5) 39
Holiday Bowl Penn State (9-3) 28, Air Force (7-5) 6
Sun Bowl Virginia (9-3) 35, Arizona State (9-3) 24
Aloha Bowl Florida (10-2) 38, Iowa (7-5) 9
Motor City Bowl Georgia Tech (8-4) 45, Memphis (8-4) 13
Independence Bowl Washington (7-5) 55, Texas A&M (8-4) 23
Citrus Bowl Notre Dame (10-2) 25, Colorado State (7-5) 22
Outback Bowl Auburn (9-3) 24, Virginia Tech (6-6) 17
Alamo Bowl Colorado (8-4) 42, Boise State (10-2) 9
GMAC Bowl Washington State (9-3) 49, Brigham Young (7-5) 7
Bluebonnet Bowl Texas (9-3) 44, Miami of Ohio (10-3) 15
Oahu Bowl UCLA (8-4) 30, South Carolina (6-6) 6
Tangerine Bowl Texas Christian (10-2) 21, Boston College (10-2) 14
Gotham City Bowl West Virginia (8-4) 35, Cornell (8-4) 14
Humanitarian Bowl South Florida (9-3) 35, Bowling Green (7-5) 32
Las Vegas Bowl North Texas (9-3) 28, Pennsylvania (10-2) 10

Ironically the team I thought would be the least competitive, CSU, was the most competitive only losing to Notre Dame by 3. All other MWC teams were handled rather easily and it does bode well for the conference in terms of national respect.

BYU Alumni in the NFL
Ike Wohlman LB Arizona: Free agent

Ike’s fears finally come true as he is released immediately after the Cardinals Season ending win against San Diego. The Cards finish 7-9, good for third in the NFC West. Hopefully one of guys can latch on next year with somebody, but it does not seem likely.

BYU 14 12-17-2004 04:39 PM

2006 Summary for Brigham Young

Record: 7-5 Mountain West 5-2

Brigham Young Team Rank
Rushes 386 63 (T)
Rushing Yards 1351 65
Yards Per Carry 3.50 72
Pass Attempts 386 29
Completions 228 18
Passing Yards 3409 7
Yards Per Attempt 8.83 9
3rd Down Conversions 41.0 32 (T)
Points Per Game 36.7 7
Turnovers 21 48 (T)
Turnover Margin +13 9 (T)

Opponents Team Rank
Rushes 377 31 (T)
Rushing Yards 1323 48
Yards Per Carry 3.50 52
Pass Attempts 410 123
Completions 213 119 (T)
Passing Yards 2988 122
Yards Per Attempt 7.28 77 (T)
3rd Down Conversions 37.4 75 (T)
Points Per Game 27.4 81 (T)
Turnovers 34 5 (T)

Primary Formation: Single-Back Formation

Week Team Versus Oppnt
2 24 UofA (107) 27
3 34 at DUKE (123) 9
5 63 NMEX (109) 20
6 58 at RUTG (119) 22
7 48 CSU (52) 17
8 48 at UNLV (115) 22
9 76 SDST (66) 23
10 3 ND (8) 63
11 31 at UTAH (34) 38
12 26 AFA (44) 32
13 23 at WYOM (86) 7
16 7 vs WSU (19) 49

10 Gatlin QB 345 208 3145 9.11 31 14
6 Martin QB 41 20 264 6.43 0 4
Team --- 386 228 3409 8.83 31 18

Rushing Pos Att Yards Y/Att TD Stff YdLst
42 Stoddard RB 241 1320 5.47 16 79 134
10 Gatlin QB 76 -128 -1.68 1 49 274
28 Smothers RB 33 107 3.24 0 11 16
Team --- 386 1351 3.50 18 155 485

7 Hitchcock WR 89 56 996 17.7 400 11
8 Fletcher WR 94 49 924 18.8 402 9
42 Stoddard RB 66 49 435 8.8 337 5
81 Mueller WR 48 26 533 20.5 190 2
9 Isbell WR 27 12 164 13.6 23 2
82 Joseph TE 21 13 144 11.0 76 1
Team --- 386 228 3409 14.9 1553 31

Defense Pos Tack Asst Sack TFL Ints Defn
43 Perry S 65 22 0.0 13 4 6
41 Diaz ILB 64 34 1.0 8 1 2
35 Foreman S 48 14 0.0 8 4 4
29 Vance CB 42 19 0.0 3 3 7
91 Wohlman DT 40 9 2.0 10 0 0
40 Geary OLB 39 19 0.0 2 0 2
96 Watson ILB 34 16 2.0 3 4 5
26 Fletcher CB 31 8 0.0 3 0 4
36 Tinker CB 26 5 1.0 4 2 6
53 Peters OLB 24 3 1.0 1 2 1
90 Goodwin DE 19 10 3.5 5 0 0
73 Flowers DE 18 12 5.5 6 0 0
52 Meehan OLB 18 4 0.0 1 0 1
23 Irish CB 18 4 0.0 1 6 4
33 Bruce S 15 9 0.0 3 4 1
47 Newville CB 13 2 1.0 1 0 4
22 Claytor S 13 2 0.5 2 0 1
Team --- 644 209 23.0 85 30 50

Our passing game was explosive but the defensive ratings were appalling, especially against the pass, which is kind of funny considering we had so many interceptions. Our turnover margin was also top 10 and a big reason we finished as well as we did. I think I will be interviewing Defensive coordinators in the off season as it really deosn’t matter what you do moving the ball if you can’t play D. I think we will have the talent there next year and they need to start playing to potential.
Post Season Awards
National

All Freshman Team
Leland Fletcher WR

Academic All-American
Dwight Gatlin QB

MWC

Top Offensive Freshman
Leland Fletcher WR

All MWC 1st Team
Dwight Gatlin QB
Daniel Stoddard RB
Ellis Hitchcock WR

All MWC 2nd Team
Calvin Berkebile K
Quentin Flowers DE
Bennie Vance CB

All MWC Academic
Dwight Gatlin QB
Morris Doherty WR
Harvey Ashraf P
Harvey Geary LB
Derek Perry S

Another fairly decent showing, especially in academics, and a big year for Leland Fletcher, though I find it odd that after making the National All-Freshman Team and top Offensive Freshman in the MWC, that he didn’t at least make 2nd team all MWC. As the awards show our strength was our skill positions on offense and we seriously need to get the Defense up to that level so we don’t have to score 30 plus every time out to win.

Final Team Rankings 2006
Academics 33rd
Recruiting 26th
TV Revenue 44rd
Ticket Revenue 38th
Donations 75th
GPA 2.88 (6th)
Attendance 58,400 (31st)

Final Top 25
Michigan 12-0 B10 1
Nebraska 12-1 B12 2
Tennessee 10-2 SEC 3
Georgia 11-2 SEC 4
Ohio State 10-2 B10 5
Southern California 10-2 P10 6
Florida 10-2 SEC 7
Notre Dame 10-2 IND 8
Purdue 11-2 B10 9
Oklahoma 10-3 B12 10
California 10-2 P10 11
Pittsburgh 10-2 BE 12
Texas 9-3 B12 13
Maryland 9-3 ACC 14
Texas Christian 10-2 USA 15
Boston College 10-2 BE 16
Penn State 9-3 B10 17
Washington State 9-3 P10 18
Kansas State 9-3 B12 19
Miami of Florida 8-4 ACC 20
UCLA 8-4 P10 21
Arizona State 9-3 P10 22
Texas A&M 8-4 B12 23
Virginia 9-3 ACC 24
Clemson 8-4 ACC 25
Michigan beat Georgia 38-12 in the National Championship game.

2006 Recruiting class

Player Pos HT WT ST NRank ByPos StRank ByPos
Post, Paul QB 5-11 184 UT 291 29 2 1
**Ah Yat, Perry RB 5-9 181 MN 737 68 14 1
$$Levitt, Nick TE 6-5 240 CA 514 13 71 3
Schroder, Andy WR 5-9 166 FL 67 6 4 1
**Boyd, Lance G 6-3 266 CA 295 28 39 7
$$Riddell, Brian G 6-4 259 CO --- 90 19 3
**Suarez, Kirk T 6-6 287 WI 52 7 2 2
**Webb, Korey T 6-5 280 CA 72 9 9 1
**Linquist, Mack P 6-1 178 CO 685 17 13 2
**Gurley, Todd K 6-4 199 NV 519 13 1 1
Trippi, Jackie DE 6-6 256 OH 45 6 2 1
**Reynolds, Andrew ILB 6-3 226 TX 91 6 6 1
##Greer, Ralph ILB 6-2 214 OR --- 83 16 2
**Winslett, Pete OLB 5-11 199 CA 168 7 23 2
$$Cochran, Ed CB 5-9 167 ID --- 87 3 2
##Streck, Wade S 6-1 173 OR --- --- 20 2

Overall a good recruiting class that ends up be graded at 26th in the nation when all is said and done. The crown jewels are our bookend tackles, another playmaking wide Receiver and Trippi and Reynolds on Defense. Some of these guys will definitely play next year.

BYU Alumni

Ike Wohlman LB Arizona
GP GS tackle Asst Sack Rply Pply
3 0 2 0 1 4 4

Wohlman, now a free agent only got in on 8 plays all year but did manage 2 solos and a sack. His future now is uncertain as there are many Linebackers out there with more talent, though probably very few that work as hard.

BYU 14 12-17-2004 05:45 PM

Off Season 2007

Staff
The biggest concern is our Defense and I am thinking of replacing Jack Bailey, who I do not feel is getting the most out of our players, though we are very young. After sending out feelers I decide to give him another year to improve the D, as there is nobody I feel could make the type of impact I would like not already locked into a contract.

We lose 2 scouts as Winfred Pharms (Mid Atlantic) and Jermaine Folse (Great Lakes) both retire. Though not our primary regions we still land a player from these areas on occasion so I would like competent people there. For the Mid Atlantic I hire Jorge Troglia who is at least fair at every position but Kicker, and I can get them from closer to home. He is excellent with Receivers and D-Linemen and should perform adequately. For the Great lakes region I hire Malcolm Barginski. He is terrible with Quarterbacks, but good or better with every other position. I will always visit potential QB’s myself so this should not be a problem.

Player issues
Mario Doyle could not persevere and ends up leaving School due to last Seasons suspension for taking Money from a Booster, I wish I could strangle these Boosters sometimes as they bring nothing but trouble over half the time. Hey I want to win too but I can’t do that losing players to things like this!

I have no suspensions or academic issues which make me extremely happy, a dozen or so players would like some more free time and I will listen to their reasons, but in the end you are here to play ball and 7-5 is not acceptable at BYU…..translation, don’t count on much sympathy.

Scheduling
We have 2 open dates and I will look to get a home and home and a 1 year deal as I would prefer a fresh opponent on our schedule every year. A Tougher team for later in the year and a patsy early, preferably taking the home and home offer would be ideal.
I got a good offer from North Texas for an away game in week 2 which I take. They are a bowl team who went 9-3 last year while winning the Sun Belt conference. Not a major power but a good test. I get a home and home with San Jose St for week 4, they were 3-8 last year and should provide a good tune-up before our first league game.

Incoming recruits
The following Recruits will compete for playing time as true Freshman, or be relied upon to provide depth. Those marked by a * are projected starters coming out of Spring Ball.
Andy Schroder WR*
Lance Boyd G*
Mack Linquist P*
Todd Gurley K
Ralph Greer LB
Ed Cochran CB
Redshirts
Paul Post QB
Perry Ah Yat RB
Nick Levitt TE
Brian Riddell G
Kirk Saurez T
Korey Webb T
Jackie Trippi DE
Andrew Reynolds LB
Pete Winslett LB
Wade Streck S

We have the luxury of being able to redshirt some kids who could probably contribute (Suarez, Trippi, Reynolds) The ones that will start will do so only because of their talent. Schroder in particular wooed people during spring ball and is the number WR going into the fall behind Hitchcock, really impressive when you consider he bumped an All Freshmen team selection in Leland Fletcher to the number 3 spot.

NFL Draft
Only Punter Harvey Ashcraf and Tackle Irv Fletcher were invited to the combines and neither was taken in the NFL draft. Utah CB Bubba Clayton was the highest MWC pick going to Jacksonville with the final pick of round 2.

BYU Alumni
The only remaining Dynasty alumni still trying to catch on as free agents besides Ashcraf and Fletcher are Ike Wohlman LB and Harvey Layman T. Wohlman has been working out on campus and I have offered him a graduate assistant spot until he gets an opportunity. Everyone else has called it a career and entered the Rat race.

BYU 14 12-17-2004 07:21 PM

2007 BYU Preseason Report

Preseason Rank 59th Mountain West Rank 4th :

Roster/Depth Chart

# = Returning Starter $ = Will Redshirt this Season * = Redshirt used 1st player(s) listed at each position projected starter(s)
Returning Starters: Offense 7 Defense 6 Specialists 0

Player # Pos Elig Current Estimate Future Estimate
#Gatlin, Dwight 10 QB Jr 47 91
Rayburn, Bennie 19 QB So* 26 71
$Post, Paul 4 QB Fr 14 69
Martin, Bryce 6 QB* Sr 21 24
Burroughs, Zach 11 QB* Sr* 8 22

Gatlin returns as the starter for his third year and should take his place as one of the top 2 QB’s in the league along with Utah’s Rodney Dostie. If he can improve as much as he did from his Freshman to Sophomore years he will get some attention. Rayburn, though only a red shirt Freshman should be a capable backup.

#Stoddard, Daniel 42 RB Jr* 59 100
Fredrickson, Julio 20 RB So* 60 69
Smothers, Winston 28 RB Sr 41 65
Shaw, Calvin 34 RB Jr 38 63
$Ah Yat, Perry 47 RB Fr 32 63

Fredrickson had an amazing spring and actually out performed Stoddard, the problem is how do you move a 1300 yard rusher to the bench because of this? We will have to make sure Fredrickson gets his touches to stay happy as he looks like the real deal and the competition can only make Stoddard that much better. Our backfield is set from the next few years.

Hightower, Damon 25 FB* Sr* 22 48
Boren, Kirk 31 FB* Sr* 20 50

They see very little time so they will be expected to keep their grades up and be demons on Special teams, same as last year.

#Joseph, Geoff 82 TE Jr* 36 89
Cerny, Gus 89 TE So 35 67
$Levitt, Nick 84 TE Fr 29 51
Becerra, Darnell 87 TE* Sr 29 31
Downs, Darren 86 TE* Sr 24 37
Buick, George 97 TE* Jr 4 4

Joseph surprised people in taking the job from Cerny in fall camp last year, the two remain close but Joseph is the better all around player at the moment

#Hitchcock, Ellis 7 WR Jr* 66 80
Schroder, Andy 3 WR Fr 42 100
#Fletcher, Leland 8 WR So 34 89
Rose, Pete 88 WR So* 27 60
Horton, Bennie 80 WR Sr 25 39
Doherty, Morris 85 WR Sr 18 37
Hodges, Cary 5 WR* Sr 19 31

We are loaded here and though we do not have a Superstar that rivals Utah’s All-American Neil Dellenbach, I don’t think any other team in the League can match our total package. Schroder is our next big threat here and he may end up being the best we have ever had to date.

#Benson, Winfred 58 C Sr 52 75
Flynn, Melvin 51 C Jr* 49 76
Baxter, Ellis 56 C So* 27 100
#Ballard, Kyle 62 G Jr 47 47
Boyd, Lance 70 G Fr 29 52
Nixon, C.J. 78 G So 12 33
$Riddell, Brian 61 G Fr 5 72
Burnside, Randall 64 G* So 0 3
#Watson, Emmanuel 60 T Sr 46 46
Longmate, Tom 69 T So* 46 61
Lyon, Ed 63 T Jr* 41 54
Lathon, Ron 76 T Sr* 40 40
$Webb, Korey 77 T Fr 27 70
$Suarez, Kirk 65 T Fr 25 80

Looking better than last year as, we at least have 3 starters returning, and some good young talent waiting in the wings. Longmont worked hard on technique and I am anxious to see what he can do. Boyd will have to start as a true Freshman as Guard is our weakest point on the line and he is the most prepared, though the less touted Riddell, may eventually be better. Benson played well last year and has developed into a real leader on the line.

Linquist, Mack 9 P Fr 21 100
Galloway, Mo 2 P* Jr* 5 24
Coffey, Desmond 1 K Sr* 31 56
Gurley, Todd 14 K Fr 20 65

Break in 2 new starters here and there will be some growing pains. With Hitchcock leading the way our return game should still be solid though.

Newsome, Donnie 95 DE So* 45 56
Preston, Bob 94 DE Sr 26 42
Bradley, Jeff 74 DE Jr* 15 62
$Trippi, Jackie 71 DE Fr 12 100
Tran, Vernon 98 DE* Sr* 10 10
#Wohlman, Barry 91 DT Jr 58 95
Such, Wade 79 DT So* 27 87
Blackburn, Fred 93 DT Sr 21 28
Cramer, Ed 75 DT Sr* 18 64

Donnie Newsome was a big recruit for us last year and we look to him to boost our pass rush as we start two new bodies at DE. Wohlman was double and triple teamed a lot last year but is still a beast and he should have an easier time if Newsome pans out.

#Diaz, Harris 41 ILB Jr 29 66
Shields, Darrin 55 ILB So* 28 95
Jamison, Roderick 92 ILB So* 25 100
$Reynolds, Andrew 96 ILB Fr 20 90
Greer, Ralph 57 ILB Fr 18 30
Harding, Claude 50 ILB* Sr 15 47
#Geary, Harvey 40 OLB Jr 47 81
Wong, Herb 46 OLB So* 29 72
$Winslett, Pete 44 OLB Fr 18 77
Peters, Charles 53 OLB Sr 17 17
Sampson, Corey 59 OLB So 10 28
Meehan, Oliver 52 OLB* Sr* 30 48

A solid crew led by 2 year starter Harris Diaz, who still performed well last year hampered by a thumb injury over half the Season. Geary is a player that has failed to live up to potential but could be good if he can reach the next level. Huge upside in the middle with Shields and Jamison, 2 highly touted recruits from last year, while Herb Wong will get first crack at the OLB spot opposite Geary.

#Vance, Bennie 29 CB Jr 33 59
Irish, Barry 23 CB Jr 29 41
Lewis, Mel 45 CB So* 17 55
Cochran, Ed 49 CB Fr 17 54
Fletcher, Alvin 26 CB* Sr 25 38
#Perry, Derek 43 S Jr* 57 58
#Foreman, A.J. 35 S Jr 39 58
Bruce, Bryant 33 S So 35 68
Matney, Irv 39 S Sr* 24 45
$Streck, Wade 37 S Fr 17 61

The good news is we added depth, the bad news is 3 of 4 starters are back from a secondary that helped us rank 122nd in the country against the pass, nonetheless this group should be better just due to the experience. The big concern is our Corners, where Bennie “the Jet” Vance returns to be joined by last years nickel back Barry Irish, who tied for the team lead in picks with 6, but is horrible against the run. The safeties are solid and we may just need to play more zone this year.

Players to watch
Dwight Gatlin QB
Daniel Stoddard RB
Julio Fredrickson RB
Ellis Hitchcock WR
Donnie Newsome DE
Barry Wohlman DT
Derek Perry S
Top Newcomers
Andy Schroder WR
Lance Boyd G

2007 Schedule

Rival: Utah
Stadium Capacity: 65,000
Season Tickets Sold: 47,200

Week Opponent
2 at (48) North Texas
4 SAN JOSE STATE
$$5 44) AIR FORCE
6 at Rutgers
$$7 at Wyoming
$$8 SAN DIEGO STATE
9 (12) NOTRE DAME
$$10 at UNLV
$$11 at New Mexico
$$12 COLORADO STATE
$$13 at (37) Utah

Home Games in ALL CAPS
$$-Conference Games, ##-League Championship Games, **-Post-Season Games

Outlook
We will again be led by underclassmen, albeit underclassmen with experience, 13 returning starters bodes well and if our Defense can improve only to the mid 70’s we will be more of a force this year. Gatlin, Stoddard and Hitchcock should compete for all MWC honors as should Wohlman, Diaz and Perry on Defense. The schedule is not that tough with only one pre-Season top 20 team on tap (Notre Dame) and we get them at home. We should contend for the league crown and hopefully it will be on the line when we travel to Salt Lake city in November to face the hated Utes. San Diego St has a new Coach so they are an unknown but I don’t see much of a shift in power from last year across the league, though UNLV should be somewhat better.

BYU Alumni
Ike Wohlman LB Free Agent
Harvey Layman T Free Agent
Harvey Ashcraf P Free Agent
Irv Fletcher T Free Agent

It could be a lean year on the Alumni front as none of these 4 figure to get a sniff with an NFL team. That said we will enjoy having Ike as a Graduate assistant and just hope for the best with our former Cougars.

BYU 14 12-18-2004 10:34 AM

2007 Week 1

BYE
Record Overall 0-0 Mountain West 0-0

Injuries
None

Recruiting

Visits
None

Commits
None

We catalog our needs and with only 12 Scholarships to give decided on the following.
Offense
RB-1, WR-2, C-1, G-1, T-1
Defense
DE-1, DT-1, ILB-1, OLB-2, CB-1, S-1

In addition we will look for the 4 best walk-ons we can get, 1 each at QB, G, DE, CB.
There are a number of decent players in Utah this year and it will be a priority to get them, we will also look in our home state first for the Walk-ons as we attempt to take control of the in-state recruiting war with Utah. We will have to get good quality this year due to the limited scholarships, so a little more prestige would help, but we will do what we can.

Mountain West Scoreboard
Air Force 13 Ohio St 9
North Carolina St 38 Utah 31
Michigan St 58 San Diego St 0

Utah is shocked by NC St, while Air Force pulls a huge upset of the Buckeyes. This sets Air Force up as an intriguing team as we knew they had some weapons on offense, but thought their front 7 might be suspect, they certainly did not play that way against Ohio St. Aztecs? Wow, rough start for the new Coach.

Mountain West Standings

Air Force 1 0 0 .000 13 9 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Won 1
Brigham Young 0 0 0 .000 0 0 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Lost 1
Colorado State 0 0 0 .000 0 0 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Lost 1
Wyoming 0 0 0 .000 0 0 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Lost 3
New Mexico 0 0 0 .000 0 0 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Lost 3
UNLV 0 0 0 .000 0 0 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Won 1
San Diego State 0 1 0 .000 0 58 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Lost 1
Utah 0 1 0 .000 31 38 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Lost 1

Next weeks Schedule

BYU at North Texas
Wyoming at Illinois
Northwestern at Colorado St
Air Force at Hawaii
New Mexico at Toledo
Cornell at Utah

A nearly full MWC schedule sees some intriguing match-ups with Wyoming and CSU taking on the Big 10. North Texas is replacing their entire backfield but they have a tough Defense, that returns a lot of starters, their secondary is very good.

BYU Alumni in the NFL

Our 4 remaining hopefuls are still looking for employment.

BYU 14 12-18-2004 11:10 AM

2007 Week 2

BYU 34 North Texas 31 OT
Record Overall 1-0 Mountain West 0-0

Leaders
Passing
Dwight Gatlin 20-31-334 4 TD 3 Int

Rushing
Daniel Stoddard 18-119

Receiving
Daniel Stoddard 7-58 1 TD
Andy Schroder 5-74 1 TD

Defense
Darrin Shields LB 11 tackles 6 assists
AJ Foreman S 9 tackles 1 assist
Herb Wong LB 9 tackles

Recap
3 youngsters making their BYU debuts tear it up in the lone star state. Watching Andy Schroder run through the NT secondary sends chills up my spine and I can not wait to unleash him against some inferior Defenses, there is no way you can cover our three headed Monster at receiver. Two young Linebackers also show great promise, especially Darrin Shields, the RS Frosh playing alongside Diaz in the middle is explosive to the ball, and actually seems quicker than Diaz, this is great news as the year goes on and our defense hopefully gels. Gatlin had a solid opener against the aforementioned talented NT secondary and Stoddard looks like he is again poised for a big Season. I was a little disappointed in our occasional lapses on Defense as we should never have needed to go to OT to get this win. That said the mean Green’s debuting QB Leslie Korzuk showed great poise and patience leading 3 long scoring drives or 78, 80 and 90 yards. We can not let teams march on us like we are a parade ground or we will get some ugly results against the likes of ND, Air Force and Utah.

Injuries
None

I love it when I catch the trainer napping during the day, I buy him a pillow and hope this list stays blank all Season.

Recruiting

Visits
None
Commits
None

After spending our first week in our home state we expand and send out feelers on the West Coast, as well as a few selected National recruits we feel might be interested in the Y.

Mountain West Scoreboard
BYU 34 North Texas 31
Wyoming 28 Illinois 21
Colorado St 27 Northwestern 20
Air Force 38 Hawaii 27
Toledo 48 New Mexico 0
Utah 24 Cornell 6

Two big wins for the MWC as we get a big 10 sweep with Wyoming and CSU, only New Mexico loses as the conference goes 5-1 for the week, complete with the team up Norths annual foray into the Ivy League ;)

Mountain West Standings

Air Force 2 0 0 1.000 51 36 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Won 2
Brigham Young 1 0 0 1.000 34 31 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Won 1
Wyoming 1 0 0 1.000 28 21 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Won 1
Colorado State 1 0 0 1.000 27 20 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Won 1
Utah 1 1 0 .500 55 44 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Won 1
UNLV 0 0 0 .000 0 0 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Won 1
New Mexico 0 1 0 .000 0 48 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Lost 3
San Diego State 0 1 0 .000 0 58 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Lost 1

Next weeks Schedule
UNLV at Clemson
Wyoming at Boston College ESPN 2
San Diego St at Arizona
Dartmouth at Colorado St
Yale at New Mexico

I must have missed the memo that mandates the entire MWC play an Ivy League School every year, don’t you get the same results from your scout team? Give Wyoming props they open up with two BCS opponents and another upset here would say something about the Cowboys. UNLV will be happy to escape Clemson with a score, while the Tigers should score more than Hugh Grant at a Brothel.

BYU Alumni in the NFL

We still wait, and wait, and wait……..At least the Arena season starts

BYU 14 12-18-2004 11:31 AM

Dynasty Tidbits

In our Third year of the dynasty I wanted to see how we were making out in the battle for Utah's best players. Here are the three highest home states on each of Utah's D1 Teams.

BYU
California 23 Players
Utah 11 Players
Colorado 7 Players

Utah
Utah 21 Players
California 16 Players
Colorado and NY 6 Players each

Utah St
California 21 Players
Utah 10 Players
Texas 4 Players

As you can see we all like California, but Utah is dominating the battle for in State recruits with as many as us and USU combined. I also find Utah's "Empire State" pipeline interesting as most of their Team comes from west of the Missisipi. Utah State in general gets the home players neither us or Utah want.

BYU 14 12-18-2004 01:45 PM

2007 Week 3

BYE
Record Overall 1-0 Mountain West 0-0

Injuries
None

Healthy is good!

Recruiting

Visits
None

Commits
None

We have no visits yet which is especially disconcerting given the fact we are aggressively recruiting 5 local products. I want to be more visible to local kids to get some of them idolizing us. We are also hitting California heavy as always.

Mountain West Scoreboard
Clemson 45 UNLV 19
Boston College 41 Wyoming 24
Arizona 30 San Diego St 24
Colorado St 43 Dartmouth 10
New Mexico 23 Yale 7

God bless the Ivy League as the MWC falls flat against everyone else. Still a little early to get a firm handle on how we will stack up against the rest of the League, but I am thinking Air Force may be the team to beat right now.

Mountain West Standings

Colorado State 2 0 0 1.000 70 30 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Won 2
Air Force 2 0 0 1.000 51 36 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Won 2
Brigham Young 1 0 0 1.000 34 31 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Won 1
Utah 1 1 0 .500 55 44 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Won 1
Wyoming 1 1 0 .500 52 62 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Lost 1
New Mexico 1 1 0 .500 23 55 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Won 1
UNLV 0 1 0 .000 19 45 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Lost 1
San Diego State 0 2 0 .000 24 88 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Lost 2

Next weeks Schedule

San Jose St at BYU
Minnesota at Utah
Colorado St at Colorado ABC
Wyoming at Kansas
Virginia Tech at Air Force ESPN 2
Arizona St at San Diego St
Dartmouth at UNLV
New Mexico at Princeton

A full slate for the MWC, including the standard meet the Ivy League games. Some intriguing match-ups involving Air Force and Colorado St, both of which will get TV exposure. We hope to make a statement against San Jose and get some confidence for a big match up on the horizon against Air Force.

BYU Alumni in the NFL

Still no Movement, Ike is considering contacting the Utah entry in the Arena 2 league.

BYU 14 12-21-2004 05:52 PM

2007 Week4

BYU 49 San Jose St 17
Record Overall 2-0 Mountain West 0-0

Leaders
Passing
Dwight Gatlin 20-28-216 4 TD

Rushing
Daniel Stoddard 27-183

Receiving
Andy Schroder 7-83 1 TD
Ellis Hitchcock 6-78 2 TD

Defense
Derek Perry S 9 tackles 1 assist
Donnie Newsome DE 5 tackles 2 assists 3 sacks
Bryant Bruce S 4 tackles 2 assists 1 Int
Darrin Shields also returned an Interception 36 yards for a TD

Recap
Excellent job of ball control as we rack up a near 10 minute TOP advantage and have no turnovers en-route to the easy victory. One pattern I dislike is the the fact we are not showing killer instinct in the second half, as we led 21-3 at halftime and 35-3 midway through the third quarter before giving San Jose 14 unanswered points while out Offense dozed off. I also have concerns with our Pass defense as we allowed 284 yards to not that good of a QB in Eugene Ricci. Other positives were of course our run game as Stoddard is developing a habit of getting stronger the more we feed him the ball. Donnie Newsome is also off to a great start to his BYU career as he now has 5 sacks and 5 TFL’s in only 2 games.

Injuries
None

Nothing at all of note here

Recruiting

Visits
Geoff Lyle S Flagstaff, AZ Overall 216 Position 6
Commits
None

Lyle is a great player but this visit is surprising as the Kid idolizes ASU and I don’t see this as more than a pacifier for some blue haired uncle who bleeds Cougar Blue. We will really hit our top targets hard this week as we really want to score some early commits if we can.

Mountain West Scoreboard
BYU 49 San Jose St 17
Utah 35 Minnesota 17
Colorado 35 Colorado St 9
Wyoming 21 Kansas 9
Virginia Tech 31 Air Force 23
Arizona St 35 San Diego St 3
UNLV 44 Dartmouth 17
Princeton 31 New Mexico 27

A big win for Utah and a respectable showing by Air Force that tells me they will be a very tough opponent next week. UNLV matches its win total of last year in the second game with their waxing of Dartmouth and the Ivy fights back as Princeton upsets New Mexico. A good start for the MWC as only 2 of the 8 teams have losing records, though the competition has not been stiff.

Mountain West Standings

Brigham Young 2 0 0 1.000 83 48 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Won 2
Utah 2 1 0 .666 90 61 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Won 2
Air Force 2 1 0 .666 74 67 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Lost 1
Wyoming 2 1 0 .666 73 71 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Won 1
Colorado State 2 1 0 .666 79 65 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Lost 1
UNLV 1 1 0 .500 63 62 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Won 1
New Mexico 1 2 0 .333 50 86 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Lost 1
San Diego State 0 3 0 .000 27 123 0 0 0 .000 0 0 Lost 3

Next weeks Schedule
Air Force at BYU Fox Sports
Colorado St at San Diego St
UNLV at Wyoming
New Mexico at Utah

A huge early game with us and Air Force and the best it gets is Fox Sports?  We will also see if UNLV has gotten better and if SDSU is really that bad.

BYU Alumni in the NFL

Still no action here, though Wohlman is doing a great job with our Linebackers as a graduate assistant.

BYU 14 12-21-2004 06:52 PM

2007 Week5

BYU 21 Air Force 17
Record Overall 3-0 Mountain West 1-0

Leaders
Passing
Dwight Gatlin 21-31-298 3 TD 2 Int

Rushing
Daniel Stoddard 22-40

Receiving
Ellis Hitchcock 7-105
Andy Schroder 5-96 1 TD
Leland Fletcher 4-57 2 TD

Defense
Derek Perry S 10 tackles 1 assist
Harris Diaz LB 6 tackles 2 assists
Barry Wohlman DT 5 tackles 3 assists ½ sack

Recap
This was a tale of 2 games, the first that we led 14-0 after 3 quarters, as our defense led by Derek Perry was all over the field. The Falcons Gabe Donovan, who killed us last year, still managed 291 yards through the air, but most of that came in a furious 4th Quarter that say Air Force take a 17-14 lead. Our Defense again gave up big plays through out the night but stopped AFA twice deep in our territory with Interceptions (1 in the end zone) and then pounced on an Air Force fumble with 1:47 left in the game, after Gatlin had given BYU the lead on a 4 play 68 yard drive that answered Air Force’s go ahead Field goal. It was gutty effort, especially considering that our Run game was almost non-existent netting only 53 yards.

Injuries
Donnie Newsome DE-Out Sprained Back
Jeff Bradley DE-Doubtful Abdominal strain

This is a big hit for a position that just doesn’t have depth, Newsome was off to an incredible start and hopefully this will not hamper him all year. We will now start a Senior Scout team player next week and only play Bradley if needed.

Recruiting

Visits
Ken Chandler QB UT Overall 216 Position
TJ Parker RB NV Overall 133 Position
TJ Rodgers C CA Overall 269 Position
Dennis Adams G UT Overall 327 Position
Reuben Ballard DT Overall 578 Position

Commits
None

We really don’t want a scholarship QB this year but if Chandler wants to come we will let him as he is a solid player. TJ Parker would give us a third straight year getting a solid Running back, and Dennis Adams is the best lineman in Utah, though he appears to be leaning to our hated rival up North at the moment.

Mountain West Scoreboard
BYU 21 Air Force 17
San Diego St 29 Colorado St 22
Wyoming 47 UNLV 32
Utah 55 New Mexico 17

A big shocker with SDSU, who had yet to look really competitive upsetting CSU, it could be the Aztecs are finally getting things moving under their new Coach. Utah rolls and it looks like us and them again as we survive our test against AFA. Wyoming is looking good again early, but should settle mid pack by years end.

Mountain West Standings

Brigham Young 3 0 0 1.000 104 65 1 0 0 1.000 21 17 Won 3
Utah 3 1 0 .750 145 78 1 0 0 1.000 55 17 Won 3
Wyoming 3 1 0 .750 120 103 1 0 0 1.000 47 32 Won 2
San Diego State 1 3 0 .250 56 145 1 0 0 1.000 29 22 Won 1
Air Force 2 2 0 .500 91 88 0 1 0 .000 17 21 Lost 2
Colorado State 2 2 0 .500 101 94 0 1 0 .000 22 29 Lost 2
UNLV 1 2 0 .333 95 109 0 1 0 .000 32 47 Lost 1
New Mexico 1 3 0 .250 67 141 0 1 0 .000 17 55 Lost 2

Next weeks Schedule
BYU at Rutgers
West Virginia at Utah
Wyoming at Wisconsin
Dartmouth at Air Force
Brown at Colorado St
New Mexico St at New Mexico
San Diego St at Yale

Utah has a big game against West Virginia, whom they are 0-2 against and hungry to beat, while Wyoming again shows they will play anyone traveling to the Badger den. You have to feel for the victims in our weekly tour of all that is Ivy as both Air force and Colorado St will be looking for redemption after tough losses this week.
BYU Alumni in the NFL

Still hoping, still working out, still waiting……At least they have perseverance.

BYU 14 12-21-2004 11:26 PM

2007 Week6

BYU 38 Rutgers 7
Record Overall 4-0 Mountain West 1-0

Leaders
Passing
Dwight Gatlin 14-33-261 4 TD 1 Int

Rushing
Daniel Stoddard 19-80

Receiving
Ellis Hitchcock 5-110 2TD

Defense
Darrin Shields LB 6 tackles 3 assists
Herb Wong LB 5 tackles 1 assist 1 Int
AJ Foreman S 5 tackles 1 assist 2 Int’s

Recap
This was a real erratic performance. Hitchcock electrified even the Rutgers partisan crowd with a dazzling 106 TD return of the opening kick off, a short while later a Gatlin to Geoff Joseph pass made it 14-0 and it seemed the route was on. Gatlin however could never settle into a pattern of consistency often missing open receivers which led to a paltry 2 of 11 third down conversion rate. The defense however was stellar holding the Scarlet Knights to 242 total yards and recording 6 sacks, 4 interceptions and a fumble recovery. We did just enough offensively to move in spurts and take advantage of turnovers.

Injuries
Jeff Bradley DE-Doubtful Abdominal strain

Bradley played, but we are really feeling the loss of Newsome, he may have had 6 sacks by himself against Rutgers had he played.

Recruiting

Visits
Stanley Baxter T Tucson, AZ Overall 42 Position 9
Junior Hanshaw LB Woodinville, WA Overall 75 Position 3

Commits
Reuben Ballard DT Logan, UT Overall 578 Position 43

We land our first commit on local kid Reuben Ballard. He will give us depth at an important position in our Defense, as the NG’s take a pounding. Both visitors this week are bonafide Blue Chippers and we would really love to get the Hanshaw Kid, he is an active Linebacker whose motor is full tilt for the entire game putting him in the action at all times. Through 8 games his Senior year he has 90 tackles, 7.5 sacks and 8 interceptions!! Plus he has 16 catches as a Tightend.

Mountain West Scoreboard
BYU 38 Rutgers7
Wisconsin 27 Wyoming 24
West Virginia 27 Utah 17
Air Force 51 Dartmouth 7
Colorado St 42 Brown 13
New Mexico St 24 New Mexico 12
Yale 28 San Diego St 25

Wyoming is playing well and could be a spoiler in League play. AFA and CSU respond as expected with big wins against the Ivy League, while San Diego St loses to Yale, the Eli’s first win!!! How do you upset Colorado St and lose to Yale??? Utah is still 0 for Virginia, and you won’t find many tears down here for them.

Mountain West Standings

Brigham Young 4 0 0 1.000 142 72 1 0 0 1.000 21 17 Won 4
Utah 3 2 0 .600 162 105 1 0 0 1.000 55 17 Lost 1
Wyoming 3 2 0 .600 144 130 1 0 0 1.000 47 32 Lost 1
San Diego State 1 4 0 .200 81 173 1 0 0 1.000 29 22 Lost 1
Air Force 3 2 0 .600 142 95 0 1 0 .000 17 21 Won 1
Colorado State 3 2 0 .600 143 107 0 1 0 .000 22 29 Won 1
UNLV 1 2 0 .333 95 109 0 1 0 .000 32 47 Lost 1
New Mexico 1 4 0 .200 79 165 0 1 0 .000 17 55 Lost 3

Next weeks Schedule
BYU at Wyoming ESPN 2
Air Force at New Mexico
UNLV at Colorado St
Utah at San Diego St

I expect a test this week from Wyoming and don’t like playing the game in Laramie, it can be a tough placer to play!! Air force and Utah both should have easy goes of it as we jockey for position atop the MWC

BYU Alumni in the NFL
Yawn…….I wonder if my Father in Law has an opening for me???

BYU 14 12-22-2004 07:49 PM

2007 Week7

BYU 48 Wyoming 17
Record Overall 5-0 Mountain West 2-0

Leaders
Passing
Dwight Gatlin 19-32-316 2 TD

Rushing
Daniel Stoddard 22-127 3 TD

Receiving
Leland Fletcher 5-141 1 TD
Andy Schroder 5-68

Defense
Darrin Shields LB 10 tackles 2 assists
Bennie Vance CB 7 tackles
Derek Perry S 6 tackles 2 assists
Herb Wong LB 5 tackles 4 assists

Recap
The score does not indicate it, but Wyoming played tough as it was 27-17 going into the fourth Quarter. From here it was all BYU as we wore them down to tally 21 in the final 15 minutes. Maybe the most complete game our Offense has put together this Season as we amass 536 total yards and 31 first downs. Though we got no sacks or Interceptions, the Defense set us up great on 2 occasions forcing fumbles by Wyoming at their own 28 and own 11, which yielded 10 BYU points. Shields re-emerged after not showing much for a few games and looks like he will only continue to improve.

Injuries

Bradley returns to start at DE, but Newsome could be out up to 4 more Weeks.

Recruiting

Visits
Ross Fadler T San Diego, CA Overall 1 Position 1
Benjamin Arreola LB Indianapolis, IN Overall 18 Position 2
Renaldo Canty CB Keokuk, IA Overall 26 Position 2
Bard Carter CB Modesto, CA Overall 47 Position 3
Jerome Noisy CB Union City, CA Overall 155 Position 13
Godfrey Dixon DE Nephi, UT Overall 209 Position 28
Rob Clayton T Great falls, MT Overall 213 Position 20
Shaun Sweeny S Oxford, OH Overall 221 Position 7
Jesse Gomez LB Norco, CA Overall 272 Position 16
Damon Seaver LB Lincoln City, OR Overall 321 Position 12
Wendell Wilkins WR Austin, TX Overall 386 Position 24
Lenny Finley WR Alhambra, CA Overall 419 Position 27

Commits
Wally Jennings RB Coon Rapids, ME Overall 7 Position 1
Stanley Baxter T Tucson, AZ Overall 42 Position 9

This is our biggest recruiting coup ever, as we land the #1 RB in the country. Wally Jennings fell in love with our Campus as it reminded him of his Home town and committed halfway through the visit, we were shocked and overjoyed. This kid has run for over 1600 yards in 8 games, caught 41 Passes and scored 23 Touchdowns. He also has 60 tackles and 4.5 sacks from his Linebacker position. Needless to say TJ Parker, our targeted RB goes elsewhere committing to Oregon St. Baxter is also a huge commit and we are going to be really deep at T. Among the many visiting this week are National #1 player Ross Fadler from San Diego. His family has ties to the School, but it does not make him a lock, that is probably the only Reason he gave us a look actually.

Mountain West Scoreboard
BYU 48 Wyoming 17
Air Force 44 New Mexico 3
Colorado St 31 UNLV 28
Utah 21 San Diego St 20

CSU and Utah in dogfights against 2 of the leagues weaker teams, though San Diego St always seems to play tough against better teams and lose games they should win. Air Force was dominant and I hope they can know Utah off which would put is in great position. The 5-0 start is the best of my career, but a couple of tough games loom ahead.

Mountain West Standings

Brigham Young 5 0 0 1.000 190 89 2 0 0 1.000 69 34 Won 5
Utah 4 2 0 .666 183 125 2 0 0 1.000 76 37 Won 1
Air Force 4 2 0 .666 186 98 1 1 0 .500 61 24 Won 2
Colorado State 4 2 0 .666 174 135 1 1 0 .500 53 57 Won 2
Wyoming 3 3 0 .500 161 178 1 1 0 .500 64 80 Lost 2
San Diego State 1 5 0 .166 101 194 1 1 0 .500 49 43 Lost 2
UNLV 1 3 0 .250 123 140 0 2 0 .000 60 78 Lost 2
New Mexico 1 5 0 .166 82 209 0 2 0 .000 20 99 Lost 4

Next weeks Schedule
San Diego St at BYU
Colorado St at Air Force Local TV
North Texas at UNLV
Wyoming at Utah

The Aztecs worry me as they upset CSU and gave Utah a big scare. They are better than their 1-5 record and just seem to never play consistently at key times, often looking flat against weaker teams. We will get a barometer of how UNLV and Utah are by their results against Teams we have beaten.

BYU Alumni in the NFL

Layman and Ashcraf have more promise as a Law firm then NFL players and Wohlman, our best shot to hook up with a team goes home each night to an answering Machine awarding him fabulous prizes for a 3 hour tour of the Tropico resort and his Mother telling him he “should maybe give this crazy Football dream up”