Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Star Wars 9 - The Rise of Skywalker (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=95815)

Kodos 04-12-2019 12:28 PM

Star Wars 9 - The Rise of Skywalker

Teaser trailer is out.

molson 04-12-2019 12:40 PM

Sheev! The Leia stuff will be intense. C-3P0 sees some action. Peak Force Powers Rey. Lots of Luke. Kylo impaling punks.

I'm fired up. But I love all the Star Wars.

PilotMan 04-12-2019 12:48 PM

Can't say for sure, but that tie interceptor sure looks like a Darth Maul design.

Whole thing gives me goosebumps.

ISiddiqui 04-12-2019 12:52 PM

Great teaser - terrible name. A lot of people online are saying this confirms Rey is a Skywalker, but I think they are forgetting there is still a living Skywalker in the movies...

molson 04-12-2019 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PilotMan (Post 3235705)
Can't say for sure, but that tie interceptor sure looks like a Darth Maul design.

Whole thing gives me goosebumps.

Jedi v. Sith Force Ghost Holy War.

molson 04-12-2019 12:54 PM

Title is clunky but I'm glad they didn't go with something generic like "The Will of the Force." This title feels daring and it hints to something we don't know about yet. The Empire Strikes Back is the oddest title ever if you think about it, but eventually these terms just become a part of the Star Wars Universe and we accept them.

molson 04-12-2019 12:58 PM

He looks appropriately old and haggard in the trailer, but Lando looking pretty sharp in the photo they flashed during his Star Wars Celebration Panel appearance:

Kodos 04-12-2019 01:04 PM

I guess the rumors of Palpatine's return are confirmed.

spleen1015 04-12-2019 01:09 PM

If I gave 2 shits about Star Wars anymore that would have been a great trailer.

Abrams saying recently that the Ep. 8 story is not what he had in mind when he wrote Ep. 7 pretty much sums up the fact that Kennedy let Rian Johnson ruin this trilogy.

I'll watch it when I can see it free some where.

Kodos 04-12-2019 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISiddiqui (Post 3235706)
Great teaser - terrible name. A lot of people online are saying this confirms Rey is a Skywalker, but I think they are forgetting there is still a living Skywalker in the movies...

Two, actually.

ISiddiqui 04-12-2019 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodos (Post 3235713)
Two, actually.

Well, yes... but I don't know if I except Leia to 'rise', depending on what that word means.

PilotMan 04-12-2019 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spleen1015 (Post 3235712)

Abrams saying recently that the Ep. 8 story is not what he had in mind when he wrote Ep. 7 pretty much sums up the fact that Kennedy let Rian Johnson ruin this trilogy.

Rian came out and said that if they 'changed' some of the storyline from 8 with 9, he wouldn't mind. That certainly opens the door for plenty of good. Having said that, to me, 8 was still good, 7 was good, Solo was excellent, Rogue One was fantastic. I'll still eat up of it as I can.

molson 04-12-2019 02:36 PM

There was rumors the last few days that the title was going to be a reference to the prequels. Palpatine told Anakin Skywaker to "rise" twice in the prequels, once when Anakin became a Sith, once when Anakin was resurrected as Darth Vader.

I think the title may refer to something along those lines, or a new Jedi-like Order, and isn't just a reference to Rey being a Skywalker and getting stronger or something.

Edit: Palpatine is maybe the central figure of the entire story. Everything happens because of him. I'm psyched he'll apparently be a part of how the story ends. And Ian McDiarmid came out after the trailer screened, and kind of surprisingly, is only 74 (he was only 38 when ROTJ came out), so I hope he has a big presence in the movie.

spleen1015 04-12-2019 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PilotMan (Post 3235721)
Rian came out and said that if they 'changed' some of the storyline from 8 with 9, he wouldn't mind. That certainly opens the door for plenty of good. Having said that, to me, 8 was still good, 7 was good, Solo was excellent, Rogue One was fantastic. I'll still eat up of it as I can.

I'm slightly interested in how he can fix it since much of what was interesting coming out of 7 was ruined in 8, ie. Rey's parents mystery, Snoke, where's Luke, etc.

larrymcg421 04-12-2019 03:55 PM

I thought the fact that her parents were nobodies was a great twist. Yet I still don't mind if it turns out her parents are Skywalkers or someone famous, because it wouldn't even be retconning Ep 8, as Kylo could've easily been lying to her.

The Snoke Throne Room sequence is one of the best scenes in the entire series.

PilotMan 04-12-2019 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larrymcg421 (Post 3235733)
I thought the fact that her parents were nobodies was a great twist. Yet I still don't mind if it turns out her parents are Skywalkers or someone famous, because it wouldn't even be retconning Ep 8, as Kylo could've easily been lying to her.

Man, great, and perhaps one of the greatest missed opportunities ever for a new branching story line, that was not taken. A Kylo/Rey running and trying to stay alive and work together for stability could have been amazing.....Ah, what could have been. I still imagine the what if's when I'm watching 8.

Warhammer 04-12-2019 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spleen1015 (Post 3235731)
I'm slightly interested in how he can fix it since much of what was interesting coming out of 7 was ruined in 8, ie. Rey's parents mystery, Snoke, where's Luke, etc.

Yeah, what's done is done.

I was not thrilled with 7, but I understood why they made the movie they did. I still feel 8 was Johnson taking a dump all over the characters from the original movies.

I can stomach Attack of the Clones more than I can The Last Jedi.

BishopMVP 04-12-2019 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spleen1015 (Post 3235712)

My favorite ret-conning or conspiracy theory is that Jar Jar Binks was supposed to be the Sith leader, but Lucas went away from that after people hated him so much in episode 1.

larrymcg421 04-12-2019 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BishopMVP (Post 3235736)
My favorite ret-conning or conspiracy theory is that Jar Jar Binks was supposed to be the Sith leader, but Lucas went away from that after people hated him so much in episode 1.

Lucas claimed that Jar Jar was "key to the whole thing" after the first round of hatred against him, so there was either some plan beyond what we eventually got or Lucas was full of shit.

BishopMVP 04-12-2019 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larrymcg421 (Post 3235737)
Lucas claimed that Jar Jar was "key to the whole thing" after the first round of hatred against him, so there was either some plan beyond what we eventually got or Lucas was full of shit.

molson 04-12-2019 04:54 PM

Quote:

I loved the idea that Rey had to move past her obsession with her parentage to move forward to better things. I don't think she needs to be related to everyone else. Though, I generally think time will be very kind to episode 8 and the choices that were made.

Agree on the throne room too. Especially in the fancy theater with the enhanced sound. The light sabers and guards' weapons crackled, it was awesome...and it became clear in a moment that snoke really didn't matter much, it's not his story. There will comic books sorting his deal out

thesloppy 04-12-2019 05:24 PM

I hope this movie has at least a half-hour's worth of call-outs and obvious references to the movies that came before it, because that shit never gets old. Remember Wedge?!? Remember when Porkins crashed into the canyon walls?!? Remember how we referenced each and every one of those things every time a new Star Wars movie is released?

I feel like the movies that represent this brand have repeatedly and continually suffered from the decision to market Star Wars as some niche product that needs to be heavily crafted towards service of its dedicated fans, as opposed to the most popular movie/brand of all time, such that nobody in this world needs constant refreshers or references to classic plot points or characters. At this point these movies seem to be practically masturbation.

Edward64 04-12-2019 07:20 PM

Quote:

Yup, it was pretty good.

spleen1015 04-12-2019 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larrymcg421 (Post 3235737)

Jar Jar is the one who started the process of giving Palpatine executive powers to go to war with the Separatists. Is that "key to the whole thing" material?

NobodyHere 04-12-2019 08:01 PM

I've predicted this before and I'm sticking to it. I think the Falcon gets destroyed in this movie.

Kodos 04-12-2019 08:24 PM

Never!

stevew 04-13-2019 04:28 AM

I know capital ships are expensive as hell but the whole hyperspace jump thru a capital ship is just dumb.

Edward64 04-13-2019 05:58 AM

Some press out there about Star Wars fatigue.

I think I would enjoy watching movies in the SW universe for a while still but truthfully, its time has come-and-gone and its fans are graying (you know I'm right).

With that said, I am very glad for 7-8-9 because 1-2-3 just left a bad taste.

Kodos 04-13-2019 10:17 AM

I still love Star Wars. I'll take it over any other movie series.

NobodyHere 04-13-2019 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 3235775)
I know capital ships are expensive as hell but the whole hyperspace jump thru a capital ship is just dumb.

I just hope that they get creative for new designs of starships. For 7 and 8 they just took existing ships and said "let's just make them bigger"

spleen1015 04-13-2019 02:13 PM

We've had 21 Marvel movies over the last 10 years. The 22nd movie has pre-sold 5 times more tickets than any other movie.

Star Wars fatigue doesn't exist. What exists is they made a very shitty movie with the Last Jedi and people don't have any confidence that 9 will be worth a shit either.

Make good movies and people will go watch them.

Danny 04-13-2019 02:24 PM

I dont agree with some of the major plot line choices with the last jedi but I did enjoy the beginning and end was entertaining. The biggest issue with the movie is the middle 2/3rds were a complete waste of time. I've still only seen the movie once and if I ever rewatch it, I'll likely skip to the last 30 minutes.

I enjoyed force awakens quite a bit.

I dont need the movies to measure up to the original 3 and they can be there own thing but dont waste my time

stevew 04-13-2019 03:56 PM

I hope this movie embraces the theory that the death star destruction would have triggered nuclear winter on Endor

stevew 04-14-2019 04:23 AM

I've heard in the star wars world that Luke's performance at the last battle has become something of a legend among the people and has inspired the new resistance. I think that's at least part of the title

QuikSand 04-14-2019 07:30 AM

...like “Skywalker” becomes a collective plural/singular term, like
Jedi? Hmmmm.

I guess I’ve just lacked the energy to care as deeply as some of my generation about all this. Took my daughters to ep 7. One loved it and really got into it. Took her to ep 8. We both liked it fine. Watched Rebel One and Solo one basically liked them both. According to the internets I’m some sort of toadstool for basically being mildly entertained by this series.

Kodos 08-27-2019 09:13 AM

Trailer 2.

ISiddiqui 08-27-2019 09:15 AM

I desperately want the final shot to not be a 'dream' nor a clone. That would be a fantastic plot point.

molson 08-27-2019 11:18 AM

Can't wait.

It's probably the last time I'll have this kind of child-like anticipation for a big movie. So I'm just enjoying the ride.

Kodos 08-27-2019 11:21 AM

I just hope that J.J. can stick the landing.

PilotMan 08-27-2019 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 3247587)
Can't wait.

It's probably the last time I'll have this kind of child-like anticipation for a big movie. So I'm just enjoying the ride.

That's how im feeling to. I don't even want to think about it really I just want to be consumed by it in the moment.

Arles 08-27-2019 03:29 PM

Pretty excited for this - the trailer has me pumped.

MizzouRah 08-27-2019 07:40 PM

I can't wait!!!

Groundhog 08-27-2019 08:37 PM

I wish I could erase 8 from my mind and be more excited for this. I'll catch it when it hits streaming services most likely.

spleen1015 08-28-2019 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groundhog (Post 3247670)
I wish I could erase 8 from my mind and be more excited for this. I'll catch it when it hits streaming services most likely.

Same for me. 8 killed Star Wars for me.

The Mandalorian looks really good though.

Kodos 10-22-2019 07:35 AM

The final trailer for Part 9.

JediKooter 10-22-2019 09:46 AM

Definitely looking forward to this and had to watch this trailer a few times. Wife has already bought our tickets. I've definitely liked this trilogy better than the prequel trilogy, though as time has gone on, I've enjoyed the prequels more.

The Last Jedi is probably my second or third favorite of the Skywalker saga and would be interesting if Episode IX will end up ranking as high for me.

Kodos 10-22-2019 11:40 AM

I have faith in J.J. I think he will send it out on a high note.

Edward64 10-22-2019 01:14 PM

Great trailer. Good cameo of Carrie.

However, I've said this before and will continue to bitch about it - Adam Driver was a bad pick. He spoils it for me the same way that Jar Jar Binks does.

JediKooter 10-22-2019 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodos (Post 3254093)
I have faith in J.J. I think he will send it out on a high note.

With a remix of Yub Nub to close out Episode 9!! :D

PilotMan 10-22-2019 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3254106)
Great trailer. Good cameo of Carrie.

However, I've said this before and will continue to bitch about it - Adam Driver was a bad pick. He spoils it for me the same way that Jar Jar Binks does.

Could not disagree more. Driver was a great pick. Now Hayden Christensen on the other hand....