Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   OT - Who's watching The Wire? (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=12449)

QuikSand 08-06-2003 01:23 PM

OT - Who's watching The Wire?

NOTE: If you are an "on demand" viewer of the HBO shows before they are aired to the rest of the viewing audience, please do not include "spoilers" about those forthcoming episodes in this thread. Many/most of the thread participants do not have "On Demand" access, and would like to discuss the show as it is broadcast, or in the days following. --Thanks!

I've posted previously about this HBO show - and stick to my opinion that it's far and away the best thing on television. The second season has broadened the sweep, added an entire new level of characters, but I am just as hooked as before. The characters are very well done, and the show's depictions of the "behind the scenes" issues on both sides of these goodguy/badguy stories are truly excellent.

The drug dealers are seen as variously political, sensitive, human, brilliant, and fair - in addition to the stereotypical cold-blooded heartless thugs. The cops are seen as variously cowardly, political, human, brilliant, detestable, and sneaky - in addition to the stereotypical heroic and noble public servants.

I don't think the show in any way glorifies the bad guys, nor does it denegrate the good guys - but I find its depiction of all the people involved as complex makes the show absolutely riveting.

The excellent scripts and storyline add to the effect, but I think it's this premise that realy delivers.

My recommendation - if you have an opportunity to catch/tape one of these "marathon" sessions where they catch oyu up on the entire season so far, make a point to do so. After a couple of episodes, I think you'll find it to be one hell of a show.

Leonidas 08-06-2003 02:25 PM

I agree. I can't watch any other cop shows now that I've seen this. Everyone gushes about The Shield. I tried watching it and it just didn't get it for me after seeing The Wire. My dad's a retired cop so I lived through a lot of the hidden aspects of a cops life and this show does a great job nailing those things that other cop shows can't do. Shows like NPYD Blue and Hill Street Blues all turned into soap operas. The Wire is hard core and totally real. I could see where some people would find it boring because it doesn't have a shootout at the end of every show. Matter of fact this week's episode was the first one I recall actually having one. And to be realistic the only person to get hit was a kid who got killed in his bedroom. Law and Order is the only other show to tackle these themes.

thesloppy 08-06-2003 02:31 PM

MCNULTY ROOOLZ

atatange1 08-06-2003 03:32 PM

I really like the show as well. But am scared that it's going to ruin it's authenticity/edge with this "Brother Mizzone" (sp?) character.

Logan 08-06-2003 03:37 PM

I missed (what I'm guessing was) the first season of the show. Due to this new HBO On Demand I have now, I can watch episodes 14-22. Would I be too lost if I started watching now? Should I just wait for it to released on DVD?

If it helps...I got into The Sopranos about half way through Season Two, and didn't have to many problems with that.

QuikSand 08-06-2003 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Logan
I missed (what I'm guessing was) the first season of the show. Due to this new HBO On Demand I have now, I can watch episodes 14-22. Would I be too lost if I started watching now? Should I just wait for it to released on DVD?

If it helps...I got into The Sopranos about half way through Season Two, and didn't have to many problems with that.

I think it would be worth trying to catch up. Find a web site that will give you some of the background from the first season, prepare to be a little lost for an episode or two, and then you'll be fine as it all comes together.

thesloppy 08-06-2003 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Logan

Knowing HBO's record, I would be absolutely shocked if they didn't start replaying the first season at some point near or immediately after the final episode for season two. I would wait until you can catch it from the beginning.

One of the things I really enjoy about the show is the complete disregard for over-explanation or dumbing things down. Terms and techniques used by either side (police/thugs/dockworkers) are sometimes confusing, always authentic, and NEVER explained, so you will often have to hear a term used three or four times before you understand what people are talking about. This was discerning for me coming in, and combined with the lack of backstory exposition at any time, I was completely lost when I first tried to catch the series from the middle of season 1, which is why I recommend you wait. However, these exacct characteristics are also what make the show so much smarter and real to me than anything else currently on televison.

With The Wire, you won't hear characters having repeated meaningless conversations just to explain what's going on to an invisible viewer, and that seemingly basic concept puts it in it's own category. I would rank The Wire above any season of The Sopranos, and put it with Band of Brothers, as some of the best stuff I've ever seen on the small screen.

As a caveat, I would recommend you still take my praise, and that of others, with a grain of salt, as it may be an acquired taste, and if you don''t like cop shows it probably won't do much for you. If you go in with too great of expectations, the subtleties might just pass underneath your radar, leaving you wondering what everybody was so giddy about. I am so glad I gave this show a second try after my initial rejection, and again I really urge you to start at the beginning.

p.s. MCNULTY ROOOOLZ

timmynausea 08-06-2003 05:49 PM

I tried to watch a few episodes of the wire and I couldn't get into it. I really like Six feet under, the sopranos and Oz, but the wire just doesn't do it for me. I find the arrogant cop, one of the main characters, extremely annoying and after the ridiculous conversation between him and his boss in the first episode, found the show damn near impossible to take seriously.
Most HBO stuff is excellent, though. Six feet under is probably my favorite. Sopranos a close second.

Leonidas 08-07-2003 08:42 AM

6 Feet Under just came completely unravelled to me. The original point was a dark comedy about death, and it was very good. Now they turned it into the mortuary's gay romp.

The Soprano's sucked last year. BORING.

The Wire is certainly an acquired taste. I doubt it will ever be the hit of the Sopranos because it is so subtle, but it is really a brilliant show if you can get into it.

If you work somewhere with a regimented office structure, combined with a potentially dangerous work environment, also with a lot of office politics then you can easily relate to what is going on. I can identify a similar character I have known or worked with with nearly every cop on the show. And I also had enough street exposure as a kid to identify with the gangsters. And the show gets these characters dead on. They hit the subtle things most writers don't know or would never pick up on. Things like the gangster with his aquariums. I once knew a guy like him who was into the same thing.

The writer of the show was a crime scene reporter in Baltimore for several years. He bases virtually all of the characters on real people or traits of real people he worked with over the years. This isn't some Hollywood type making it up. These characters and these stories are real.

Bee 08-07-2003 08:59 AM

I didn't care much for The Wire. I tried to get into it and just didn't find it that interesting. I also don't care much for Six Feet Under.

I really enjoyed Oz and The Soprano's though. Don't care much at all for any of the HBO comedies. Of course, I'm not a huge tv watcher either so I seldom follow a show week to week.

Ufer 08-07-2003 11:58 AM

The Wire is my favorite drama on TV (comedy = CYE), but I do think you need to watch it continually. The exec prod/main writer, David Simon, says it's constucted like a novel, not episodically. Btw, his co-writer is a former Baltimore Detective. I like all the acting, particularly the character Omar.

Leonidas 08-07-2003 12:02 PM

On CNN.com today about The Wire. Very good explanation of the show.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/TV/08/07/sprj.em03.the.wire/index.html

sianews 08-07-2003 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Leonidas
I agree. I can't watch any other cop shows now that I've seen this. Everyone gushes about The Shield. I tried watching it and it just didn't get it for me after seeing The Wire.

I'm just the opposite. I've seen a couple episodes of The Wire, but just c an't get interested after seeing The Shield :).

QuikSand 08-20-2003 07:51 PM

Great, and unexpected news - The Wire has been picked up for a third season.

Link

Bad-example 08-20-2003 09:11 PM

Good news indeed.

I watched the first season and liked it, but haven't watched any of season two yet. When they show a catch-up mini-marathon or just begin airing season two a second time, a heads up would be greatly appreciated...

Leonidas 08-21-2003 02:01 PM

Wire Fans

My guess is Sobotka will be dead by the time next episode begins. Matter of fact, I bet the episode begins with his body being found. Anyone actually think they will bother to keep him alive long enough to show his murder next episode?

QuikSand 08-21-2003 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Leonidas
My guess is Sobotka will be dead by the time next episode begins. Matter of fact, I bet the episode begins with his body being found. Anyone actually think they will bother to keep him alive long enough to show his murder next episode?

Well, if this were an ordinary show, we'd be expecting some sort of bullshit deus ex machina to resolve the big cliffhanger. (Like "surprise, the cops decided to tail you after all") My co-workers both think that's what is coming.

I've been in the "straight shooting" camp all along, and I think he's a goner. I like your theory that we'll just fast-forward to a future point where the deed has already been done - that woudl work for me, rather than having the "when we last left our heroes..." that it seems to be setting up for.

atatange1 08-21-2003 02:47 PM

I think he's a goner as well. I'm also kind of rooting for the bad guy's. What I mean is the cops don't have a very strong case since the only one talking 'White Mike' doesn't know that much. And Frank who could blow the whole operation will probably be "nuetralized". I just think that like last season they won't have enough to send everyone away for life but maybe give out a few deals like they did to the Barksdale crew.

rexallllsc 08-21-2003 02:49 PM

IMO, unless the cops show, he's dead. They were prepared to help him out, but when they found out he had gone to the cops, they decided to axe him ("We'll do it your way").

QuikSand 08-21-2003 03:12 PM

I'll be gravely disappointed if the cops show up on the scene, for a very specific reason. For the entire duration of the show, we have seen everything that everyone has been doing - both the "good guys" and the "bad guys." Even when the timing was coincident (the too-late raid on Double-G's store coming to mind, of course) we saw everything from all points of view. If they now decide to spring out with "oh, well the cops did this, but we just didn't show you until now" then it undermines the show's honesty.

Sobotka should be a goner, obviously, and the cops should have some of that blood on their hands for letting him walk. Maybe this can help bring down the FBI informant, even... though I think that's probably a longshot.

thesloppy 08-21-2003 03:23 PM

Was it just me, or was the last episode top-notch? Great build-up of tension throughout the whole show, and the greek muisc playing over the top of the last few minutes really worked well.

QuikSand 08-21-2003 03:44 PM

I agree... I thought the last two were both exceptional. Two weeks ago, I was out of my seat at least two or three times, and laughing openly a few others... and in the last one, I felt like it was just boiling over. I don't want this show to end.

Peregrine 08-21-2003 05:36 PM

I'm a big fan of the Wire, and it's definitely been getting better and better as the season goes on. A lot like the latest season of Six Feet Under in that way. It's getting so I'll give any HBO show the benefit of the doubt because they've all been so good. Looking forward to Carnivale.

CentralMassHokie 08-21-2003 06:08 PM

Last season, I tried to get into The Wire from the start, but I just didn't get it the first time around.

After reading a few reviewers on the web who's opinions I generally expect, I set my Tivo to grab the first season when it was getting replayed on HBO2.

I got it the second time around. Like Homicide: LOTS, it's a show that you have to be willing to give your attention. You can't watch it as background noise or in the midst of doing anything else. But if you're willing to give it your attention, it'll draw you in.

After finishing the first season, I was fairly sure it was one of the top 2 or 3 shows on TV (Buffy, West Wing, The Wire). It's impossible to pick a favorite episode - the whole season was just phenomenal from moment one to the finale. The highlights for me were the death of Wallace and, of course, Bunk and McNulty putting together the murder in the apartment.

This year, when I sat down to watch season 2, I knew what I was in for. Going into the final episode, I'm fairly sure that the two seasons of The Wire may be the best 2 season run of television since Buffy Seasons 2 and 3.

I often try to sell people on The Wire, but then stop trying when they tell me they love 24. The Wire is the anti-24. No lame subplots. No red herrings. No deus-ex-machina. Every moment has meaning. Nothing is contrived. Even this season, when you knew they were going to have to get the team back together, they still waited until mid-season, and did it in a reasonable manner.

Then they drop D'Angelo. No fanfare, no repercussions. Avon wants him dead, he ends up dead.

Then Brother Mouzone shows up, quite possibly the best character on television since, well, since Omar.

And then, just to make sure they keep you off balance, they have Prez pop his father-in-law and get pulled off the team.

As you get your bearings again, they finish the penultimate episode, looking like they're heading towards bringing down the Greeks, one man's actions (good old Busmalis from Oz) leave you watching Frank Sobotka, the man who started the season as "the target" walking towards certain death.

The amazing thing is that even with Sobotka dead, it leaves so many options. What will Nick do? What about Nick's dad? What's the payoff between Omar and Stringer? What about Avon and String?

The only shows in the past 2 seasons to come along that I've truly loved have been The Wire and Firefly. One of them has been cancelled by quite possibly the worst network on TV. Thankfully, HBO has some sense and I'm going to get to see a third season of The Wire.

God, I love this show.

atatange1 08-21-2003 10:08 PM

In the preview's for the finale they showed Nick getting a shotgun and saying something like "I'll get'em". That has me concerned I hope he doesn't go all Rambo on us and take out all the Greeks the cops can't get.

QuikSand 11-10-2004 11:39 AM

Just doing a little forum necromancy of my own...

The Wire is now well into its third season, and things are really starting to click again. For those who have watched all along, the focus is basically back onto the two-sided affair where we started: the West Baltimore drug gangs, and the police detailed to deal with them. But that synopsis is a grave understatement of the intricate and complex relationships that appear on both sides, as well as across the bounds. This show is far and away the deepest thing I have ever seen in television.

After first getting hooked on this show (after several episodes of its first season), I formed the opinion that it was my favorite show on television. After the second season puled me in even further, I think I bumped to thinking that it was probably my favorite television series ever. Now, with the added richness in this third season, I'm starting to think this might be the best thing that has ever been on television, at any time, of any duration. I know I'm totally in the bag for it, but to me, this seems to be the absolute height of what television can do -- there are scenes that are excruciatingly difficult, moments that are intensely funny without being able to easily describe why, and presentations of both sides of issues and people that are just far, far deeper than we have ever had any right to expect.

Not long ago, the DVD with season one was released. For those of you who are into that sort of thing, and think you might find yourself able to get immersed into a very well-done, slowly-developing crime drama... you might consider it as a possible addition to a gift list.

Wow.

DeToxRox 11-10-2004 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSand

The Wire is now well into its third season, and things are really starting to click again. For those who have watched all along, the focus is basically back onto the two-sided affair where we started: the West Baltimore drug gangs, and the police detailed to deal with them. But that synopsis is a grave understatement of the intricate and complex relationships that appear on both sides, as well as across the bounds. This show is far and away the deepest thing I have ever seen in television.

After first getting hooked on this show (after several episodes of its first season), I formed the opinion that it was my favorite show on television. After the second season puled me in even further, I think I bumped to thinking that it was probably my favorite television series ever. Now, with the added richness in this third season, I'm starting to think this might be the best thing that has ever been on television, at any time, of any duration. I know I'm totally in the bag for it, but to me, this seems to be the absolute height of what television can do -- there are scenes that are excruciatingly difficult, moments that are intensely funny without being able to easily describe why, and presentations of both sides of issues and people that are just far, far deeper than we have ever had any right to expect.

Not long ago, the DVD with season one was released. For those of you who are into that sort of thing, and think you might find yourself able to get immersed into a very well-done, slowly-developing crime drama... you might consider it as a possible addition to a gift list.

Wow.

Definetly a favorite of mine, though I think I take Deadwood over it on an HBO basis. But yes, I agree with almost everything you said above.

atatange1 11-10-2004 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSand

Wow.

I can agree with most of that. It is a very good show.

QuikSand 11-10-2004 12:05 PM

I have the added personal advantage of living in Maryland (the show is set in Baltimore), and being involved in local politics. So, while all the storylines revolve around real neighborhoods in and around Baltimore, there are also political and social references weaved into the show which are very familiar to me and Mrs Q. We also know a few people who have been involved with or actually on the show itself, adding an extra slice of intrigue. Add in the "fictional" characters who bear a stunning resemblance to real-life people (like the ambitious City Councilman, clearly modeled after curretn Mayor O'Malley) and it's even better.

Barkeep49 11-10-2004 12:13 PM

I agree with everything Quik said about why it is the best show on television (though I think I would have to pick a different show by the same creative team, Homicide, as the finest series ever made). One aspect of this show that I like so much is its positive portrayal of working class and inner city people. This is something that is basically missing from our culture and we are worse of because of it.

Bad-example 11-10-2004 12:23 PM

I put this show right alongside OZ and The Sopranos as the best tv dramas ever. All three shows require multiple viewings to really catch all the details.

John Galt 11-10-2004 12:58 PM

I want to move to Hamsterdamn.

Bonegavel 11-10-2004 02:21 PM

As a fan of The Shield and being HBO-less, how would somebody familiar with both shows compare them?

I despise most t.v. and cop shows most of all. I never followed stuff like HSB and NYPDB - i think i only tried watching NYPDB looking for this famed "partial nudity" of Dana Delaney and emerged from the hour wondering what all the hype was about the show. Somebody mentioned soap opera and that is a good descriptor.

However, when I caught The Shield I was blown away with it and I'm no (better yet, was no) Michael C. fan at all and didn't think he could shake the image of 'the commish" out of my mind but he has done it. The show is raw and doesn't show anyone in a good light. I don't know if there is 1 character on the show that isn't at least 25% wretched and most are at 90%+.

It is one of those shows (for me) that I have to talk to others about. That is the mark of a good series.

Anthony 11-10-2004 03:09 PM

Cop Rock did it for me. oh...the good ole days.

sterlingice 11-10-2004 03:42 PM

You know, The Wire would be a great name for a reality tv show.

[Stewie and Brian are trying to sleep in a motel, a drug deal is heard in the next room]
Drug Buyer: You got the stuff?
Drug Dealer: Yeah I got it, where's the money, huh? I wanna see the money. Drug Buyer: No, no, no, you don't see the money 'till I see the stuff.
Stewie Griffin : Oh, for God's sake, does anyone wait to put an end to this nuisance. [yelling]
Stewie Griffin : HE'S WEARING A WIRE.
Drug Dealer: What? You son of a...
[gunshots are heard following by a "body drop" sound effect]

SI

rexallllsc 11-10-2004 09:14 PM

HBO sure does know how to pick 'em. OZ, The Wire, Deadwood, The Sopranos...Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Greatness.

Peregrine 11-10-2004 09:42 PM

I absolutely love The Wire, and I do think it has passed the other HBO shows for me in terms of being my favorite, it is flat out amazing. The politics, the real-life foibles and flaws in all the characters, showing pretty much all sides of the drug war in the city, the amazing writing, great characters (could any show have a murderous thug that you like as much as Omar?) Whew.

Barkeep49 11-14-2004 09:47 PM

This weeks episode certainly did not disappoint. Does anyone know how many more episodes are left for this season? Things certainly seem to be reaching a cresendo

sterlingice 11-14-2004 09:49 PM

According to tvtome.com

Season 3
26. 3-1 19-Sep-2004 Time After Time
27. 3-2 26-Sep-2004 All Due Respect
28. 3-3 03-Oct-2004 Dead Soldiers
29. 3-4 10-Oct-2004 Amsterdam
30. 3-5 17-Oct-2004 Straight and True
31. 3-6 31-Oct-2004 Homecoming
32. 3-7 07-Nov-2004 Back Burners
33. 3-8 14-Nov-2004 Moral Midgetry
34. 3-9 21-Nov-2004 Slapstick
35. 3-10 28-Nov-2004 Reformation
36. 3-11 12-Dec-2004 Middle Ground
37. 3-12 19-Dec-2004 Mission Accomplished

SI

Leonidas 11-15-2004 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonegavel
As a fan of The Shield and being HBO-less, how would somebody familiar with both shows compare them?

I despise most t.v. and cop shows most of all. I never followed stuff like HSB and NYPDB - i think i only tried watching NYPDB looking for this famed "partial nudity" of Dana Delaney and emerged from the hour wondering what all the hype was about the show. Somebody mentioned soap opera and that is a good descriptor.

However, when I caught The Shield I was blown away with it and I'm no (better yet, was no) Michael C. fan at all and didn't think he could shake the image of 'the commish" out of my mind but he has done it. The show is raw and doesn't show anyone in a good light. I don't know if there is 1 character on the show that isn't at least 25% wretched and most are at 90%+.

It is one of those shows (for me) that I have to talk to others about. That is the mark of a good series.

The Shield plays a little over the top, as most network shows do. They put more action and more edgy stuff in it to make it move faster.

Meanwhile, The Wire strives for total realism. The writer, David Simon, used to be a crime beat reporter in Baltimore and also was once a writer for that show with Richard Belzer that was also part of the Law and Order world. Anyway, Simon says the The Wire is written like a novel that plays out a chapter a week, so it moves much more slowly than a network type show. There is violence and some edgy stuff, but it is not forced or gratuitous to make it into every 60 minute show. It plays out when it is appropriate. Also, no hokey car chases, except for the funny seen when Herc was chasing the 13 year old with the drugs while he had the theme song from Shaft playing.

The Wire can also be very funny. My favorite all time scene was in season one when McNulty and Monk checked a crime scene out and never said anything but F words, yet they managed to convey everything they felt. It's think kind of juvenile things guys in that situation might really do that network TV would never dream of.

ANd last night was a great show. I especially loved the drug dealers using the suspect picture software to draw women in the police station, and the local cop pulling Kima aside and saying, "Your partner is a bit of an asshole."

Great to see Stringer finally confronting Barskdale too. I didn't think he'd have the guts to actually come out and admit to whacking De'Angelo.

QuikSand 11-16-2004 08:15 AM

I agree that The Wire can be very funny - but it's not cheap one-liners, it all rises up from the character development, which has been woven for a long time. There are countless scenes where all we get is a look, a word, or a simple situation -- but if you know the characters, their history, and the relationships they have, that look can be a laugh-out-loud moment. In that sense, I think a fair analogy is that this show is like real literature, rather than reading a magazine -- the depth is what makes it so enriching.

CentralMassHokie 12-12-2004 10:37 PM

Oh my god.

Is there any doubt this is the greatest show on TV?

Possibly the greatest show of all time?

I will admit to being completely prone to hyperbole (usually for the sake of humor), but I'm not even kidding about this.

The Sopranos wishes it was this good.

QuikSand 12-13-2004 08:32 AM

What an unbelievable episode. Right from the very start (the street confrontation between Omar and Brother Muzzone -- which was undoubtedly the most riveting few minutes of "poker" I've seen in TV in months) this was just brilliantly executed. And I don't use that term lightly.

From the context clues -- it sounds like HBO is undecided in whether the show will get a fourth season. In their 5-minute self-promo piece leading up to the broadcast, they highlighted the "2005" offerings, with mentions of "Carnivale - new season" and "Deadwood - new season" included. No mention of The Wire there, so it clearly has not been officially extended. However, as they previewed the next episode, they called it the "Season Finale" rather than a "Series Finale" -- and they have fairly deliberately used the latter term when closing out shows like Oz and Sex and the City. My best guess is that they are on the fence with The Wire... and I'm crossing my fingers.

Looks to me like they are heading toward a possible "wrap-up" point at the end of season three, but I'd love to see a season four that drifted into politics (the mayoral race is really heating up now...) and who knows what else? Nobody saw the dockyard sidestory (basically all of season two) coming, but it was nested in beautifully -- we're even still getting references back to it. It would not be that hard for the "Major Crimes Unit" to remain intact, and for that group to continue to receive special details -- whether the focus is the West Side drug trade or elsewhere.

*sigh*

Raven Hawk 12-13-2004 08:54 AM

Last night's episode was masterful. They better make another season. There's plenty of places to go:

There is still the whole East side story with Prop Joe that can be flushed out. They have to do some more with the dockyards.

Sweet episode.

nole4sho 12-13-2004 08:55 AM

Can someone explain why the guy was killed at the end of the show by those nation of islam dudes? From what I gather the guy who got killed was trying to turn on his friend who then had him killed. One thing I found interesting is the got who got shot at the end could still be alive because the killers didn't go for the head shot.

QuikSand 12-13-2004 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nole4sho
Can someone explain why the guy was killed at the end of the show by those nation of islam dudes?

Ummmmm.... well, let's see... where to start.

***past and present spoilers ahead, for anyone careful***

Stringer Bell, the victim at the end of this week's episode, was the #2 man in the West Side drug ring (the Barksdale clan) we've been following all along.

The two killers were Omar (with the scar) and Brother Muzzone (with the bow tie). Neither has anything to do with the Nation of Islam in the show's storyline, though there is a clear iconic reference to NOI through Brother Muzzone's attire.

Early in season one, the Barksdale clan tortured and killed Omar's boyfriend. Omar was not pleased with this -- particularly the manner in which is was accomplished. This set up Omar to, eventually, find out who ordered this thing done, and exact his revenge.

At one point, one of the Barksdale connections (the very heavy guy named Proposition Joe) told Omar that it was Brother Muzzone who set up the killing (or Omar's boyfrield). Omar found and shot Muzzone -- but their conversation afterward (as Muzzone lie bleeding) revealed that Omar had been misled. Over time, after Muzzone's recovery, the two realized they had a common bond -- both now had grudges against Barksdale and company -- including their top liutenant, Stringer Bell.

The eventual result was the surround-and-isolate strategy last night, that led to Bell's rather cold demise. It was a huge moment in the series -- Stringer Bell had been a very, very well-developed character and a major component of the storyline.

Hop that helps.

nole4sho 12-13-2004 09:20 AM

Quiksand - Thank you for the nice review of the season. I was not able to watch the entire season due mostly to school. However I did not know homosexuals were in the show that to me is very shocking considering that this guys are gangsters. I will be buying the season when it releases on DVD. Again thank you very much.

CentralMassHokie 12-13-2004 09:28 AM

The amazing thing to me is that they do this amazing bit of misdirection each year that doesn't make you feel used, but makes you feel stupid for not seeing it all along.

This year it's "H"amsterdam, which I had anticipated being involved much more heavily in the climax of the season 3 arc. Granted, with one episode to go, it still could be, but my guess is that Hamsterdam will live on as the connection to Season 4 (should there be one), where the mayoral race will take the forefront.

The other bit of misdirection was all of the talk about Season 3 being about politics, which you immediately associate with Carcetti, Daniels' wife, and the selectmen and mayor races.

But the poltical angle in this season wasn't really about the actual political race. It was the politics that go on inside the po-lice. The stuff between Colvin and Carver, with Carver throwing his lot in with Colvin. Herc narcing on Colvin to the paper. McNulty and Daniels issues. The stuff with Prez and the other cops.

Just a great show with so many layers that you start to notice more and more stuff as you think back. If it's not renewed for another season, I might just drop HBO in protest, even if Deadwood was stellar this past season.

Leonidas 12-13-2004 07:49 PM

I thought season one was a masterpiece. Season two a nice diversion into something different. Nice but possibly falling into that trap of a show going downhill.

Then there is this season. Every damn show is a masterpiece, and they only get better every week. This show has really hit its stride and has got to be in its prime. I can't imagine it getting any better, although I hope it does. Now what becomes of Omar. Is the score settled with the Barksdale gang or does he come after the Man? What does McNulty do now that his Moby Dick is dead? And are the gloves off for Barksdale? Do the cops cleanup up Hamsterdam and leave the whole territory for Barksdale to plunder?

CentralMassHokie 12-13-2004 09:36 PM

For what it's worth, someone on another board I frequent has seen the finale.

He says that it's mindblowing, that it would make a perfect series finale, but it would also make for a perfect jumping off point for season 4.

ONE SMALL SPOILER FOR THOSE INTERESTED

FURTHER DOWN

He says that Prez is at least present in the finale, so that thread gets picked up again.