Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   NASA/Space thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=90016)

Mizzou B-ball fan 02-26-2015 10:10 AM

NASA/Space thread

Tried to find a thread but couldn't find anything recent. So many cool things happening right now in astronomy.

Dawn is approaching Ceres. On the way in, they've noticed bright spots on the surface. My guess is a recent comet/meteorite hit, but either way, it's going to give scientists a great look at what's beneath the surface.

'Bright Spot' on Ceres Has Dimmer Companion | NASA

New Horizons is getting a good look at the Pluto system. A few months from now will be the fly-by where we should get an incredible look at Pluto.

85 Years after Pluto’s Discovery, NASA’s New Horizons Spots Small Moons Orbiting Pluto | NASA

Finally, Curiosity and the Mars Science Lab continue to do great work from the surface of Mars. Amazing to see things in HD.

Latest Selfie from NASA Mars Rover Shows Wide Context | NASA

Thomkal 09-26-2015 09:53 AM

what could it be?

Nasa's Mars announcement: Scientists to reveal 'major finding' on Monday | Science | News | Daily Express

cartman 09-26-2015 10:48 AM

I bet it is that this guy has a cousin:

tarcone 09-26-2015 12:30 PM

It has to do with our world coming to an end on Monday. Something along the lines of "As earth ends we are going to Mars. C'ya suckers!"

Thomkal 09-26-2015 12:53 PM

So you guys are saying you have no clue huh? :)

BillJasper 09-26-2015 12:57 PM

What they define as a "major finding" and what the public define it as, are two different things.

But I have no clue.

nol 09-26-2015 01:53 PM

Prothean ruins, duh.

Fonzie 09-26-2015 05:25 PM

My guess? Evidence of running water.

EagleFan 09-26-2015 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fonzie (Post 3056010)
My guess? Evidence of running water.

Then we need to stay as far away from Mars as possible...

Edward64 09-26-2015 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillJasper (Post 3055966)
What they define as a "major finding" and what the public define it as, are two different things.

But I have no clue.

Hoping for little green (wo)men or some proof of life. But probably something about water.

Ironhead 09-26-2015 06:31 PM

Amazing photo from Hubble.

HubbleSite - NewsCenter - Hubble Zooms in on Shrapnel from an Exploded Star (09/24/2015) - Introduction

Edward64 09-28-2015 01:15 PM

and its .... flowing water. I guess its a big story but seems anticlimatic since we knew about frozen ice at the poles.

Thomkal 09-28-2015 01:56 PM

yeah not very exciting, but still an important discovery I guess.

Radii 09-28-2015 11:44 PM

(stolen from reddit)

Thomkal 01-20-2016 01:25 PM

Move over Pluto, it's Planet Nine:

'Planet Nine' Explained: Facts About the Mysterious Solar System World (Infographic)

Kodos 01-20-2016 01:27 PM

Good stuff.

Kodos 01-20-2016 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironhead (Post 3056020)

No doubt that this is the doing of Starkiller Base.

Julio Riddols 01-20-2016 01:56 PM

Oh man, the race to put out the first film where a crew is sent to explore planet nine...

Glengoyne 01-20-2016 10:45 PM

So first Brown kills Pluto, and now he replaces it.

bhlloy 01-20-2016 11:09 PM

It's going to be hilarious when we discover aliens on that ninth planet who have been hiding out of sight this whole time

NobodyHere 01-21-2016 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomkal (Post 3078817)

Planet 9 from Outer Space?

SteveMax58 01-21-2016 08:59 AM

Quote:

Wow...so its almost as big as Uranus? :D

albionmoonlight 01-21-2016 09:05 AM

It amazes me that there can be something that big within our solar system that we physically cannot see.

It is also amazing that we have the ability to infer its existence through gravitational effects, even as we cannot see it.

Thomkal 01-21-2016 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMax58 (Post 3078954)
Wow...so its almost as big as Uranus? :D

well not mine (sorry, someone had to do it) :)

Thomkal 01-21-2016 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albionmoonlight (Post 3078955)
It amazes me that there can be something that big within our solar system that we physically cannot see.

It is also amazing that we have the ability to infer its existence through gravitational effects, even as we cannot see it.

yeah despite the stats, I think we need to see a picture. Until then, theories are nice, but a lot of theories turn out to be wrong. Still can't get over how long an orbit of Planet Nine might take. It seems like its barely moving.

Peregrine 01-21-2016 12:09 PM

Quote:

Pics or it didn't happen.

Easy Mac 01-21-2016 12:11 PM

nibiru is coming

Thomkal 01-21-2016 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peregrine (Post 3079010)

heh

BishopMVP 01-21-2016 03:58 PM

It's funny how this stuff gains popular traction. "Planet X" has been theorized for years (in different variations, with different definitions, but knowing how some of Einstein's theories were "disproven" by science only to later be found correct, maybe this was exactly what Percival Lowell was referring to in the 30's), but even when it was published in semi-mainstream publications like Nature it would be in an article like this. So I'll ask the astrophysicists I know when I see them next, but from my layman's take these CalTech guys didn't actually propose anything new, just had slightly deeper/better data, so I can't figure out why it's gaining so much traction right now. Regardless, it's still cool, and anything that inspires the public to support space (or deep sea) exploration is cool in my book.

SteveMax58 01-21-2016 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peregrine (Post 3079010)

You know, oddly enough this is kind of along the lines of something I don't understand.

I realize we aren't snapping pics all over the sky at all times but why wouldn't someone, at some point, tried to calculate an approximate location and snapped a pic at some point of this potential planet.

Or is that how poorly funded we actually are?

sabotai 01-21-2016 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMax58 (Post 3079106)
I realize we aren't snapping pics all over the sky at all times but why wouldn't someone, at some point, tried to calculate an approximate location and snapped a pic at some point of this potential planet.

I'm sure they're working on that right now, but they're not going to get an exact location, and it'll take time to hunt it down.

Thomkal 03-21-2016 08:08 PM

Pluto is turning out to be much more than a dwarf planet wannabee:

http://gizmodo.com/pluto-may-have-ha...ium=socialflow

Thomkal 04-13-2016 07:14 PM

welcome to the Fornax Cluster: (and bring on Stellaris :) )

Galaxy Cluster Gathers Inside a Cosmic 'Furnace' in New Video, Images

Neuqua 04-13-2016 07:35 PM

Having a close friend work for NASA has been amazing. Every now and then when he gets to work early, he'll send over a picture taken on Mars and there's something cool about knowing I'm the 2nd person ever to see certain parts of the planet.

Thomkal 04-13-2016 08:26 PM

cool

cartman 04-13-2016 08:51 PM

A couple of weekends ago my Dad and I took a road trip to Socorro, NM. It was one of the two Saturdays each year that they open Trinity Site up to the public. So we went and toured the area, stood at ground zero, and went to the house where they put the plutonium core together for the test.

Afterwards, we headed out to the Very Large Array, which does a huge open house on the weekends when Trinity Site is open. That was really cool. They took us to the operations room, we got to talk to a bunch of the scientists, and got to stand at the base of one of the huge dishes as it was being pointed to a new section of the sky.

The things they can do with the Array are incredible. They said they listen for radio signals so faint, that if you were to use a normal remote control for a toy car on the moon, it would several magnitudes stronger than the signals they listen for. They can move the dishes anywhere from being in a cluster of about a kilometer, all the way out to over 20 kilometers.

PilotMan 04-13-2016 09:35 PM

The pics were cool. A great bucket list trip for you. I'd love to have done that at the VLA.

Neuqua 04-14-2016 10:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just for an example, he sent me this shot earlier today.

Yeah you can't really make up much from it but FOFC is now one of the first batch of humans to see this part of Mars.

Kodos 04-14-2016 11:25 AM

That IS cool.

cartman 04-18-2016 01:28 PM

A Giant Galaxy Orbiting Our Own Just Appeared Out of Nowhere

Thomkal 07-05-2016 10:23 AM

Gentleman (and Ladies), I give you Jupiter!:

Jupiter has new visitor – a solar-powered spacecraft

This is just amazing to me-can't believe the science and math that were involved to accomplish this-can't wait to see the pictures.

Thomkal 08-09-2016 08:09 AM

Sorry if this has been mentioned in thread before, but just saw this for the first time-have we found another civilization?:

Kepler's 'Alien Megastructure' Star Just Got Weirder

Mizzou B-ball fan 08-15-2016 09:00 AM

Mystery object lurking past Neptune is baffling astronomers - AOL

albionmoonlight 08-15-2016 10:25 AM

Growing up watching Science Fiction where humans can zip across the galaxy in hours, it is still jarring to have something as "close" as Neptune that we can't just go out there and look at.

Mizzou B-ball fan 08-15-2016 02:57 PM

Another interesting one.

Reports Of An Earth-like Planet Around Our Nearest Neighbor | IFLScience

Galaril 08-24-2016 12:03 PM

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kristint.../#271df8d348c1
Space train would get cargo and travelers to Mars i 37 hours.

Brian Swartz 08-25-2016 08:33 PM

I honestly don't understand the fascination with Mars colonization. 50 years ago it made sense, maybe even 20 years ago, although that's pushing it. But everything I've found indicates the gravity is too low and will cause major long-term consequences. That's one thing for the ISS or for spaceships which can generate artificial gravity via centripetal force, where you have a regimen of eating/exercise to combat it for astronauts, continuing research, etc. It's quite another for a scenario in which you are considering a 'second home' for humanity. For any sizable colonization it's got to be user-friendly, and the gravity issue makes that a non-starter from everything I've been able to discern.

whomario 08-26-2016 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Swartz (Post 3115776)
I honestly don't understand the fascination with Mars colonization. 50 years ago it made sense, maybe even 20 years ago, although that's pushing it. But everything I've found indicates the gravity is too low and will cause major long-term consequences. That's one thing for the ISS or for spaceships which can generate artificial gravity via centripetal force, where you have a regimen of eating/exercise to combat it for astronauts, continuing research, etc. It's quite another for a scenario in which you are considering a 'second home' for humanity. For any sizable colonization it's got to be user-friendly, and the gravity issue makes that a non-starter from everything I've been able to discern.

Wait, isn´t the ISS essentially zero-G (without alternative due to the way it is designed to orbit around the earth) ?

38% gravity on Mars seems kinda more doable in comparison from a layman perspective, especially since the main issue of gravity loss is returning to 100% gravity on earth (yes, yes, the "dream" would be to travel back and forth at will, but not really a necessity).
Not saying there aren´t issues in and off itself beyond a certain point of degradation, but then again who is to say there won´t be a way to counter this by the time the first mission starts to some (better than now) degree ? Or at some point after the first "trailblazers" ? Colonization historically was never "user friendly" for the first couple generations i would argue ;)

Thomkal 08-30-2016 08:46 AM

Not a Drill: SETI Is Investigating a Possible Extraterrestrial Signal From Deep Space

SETI finallty paying off?

BillJasper 08-30-2016 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomkal (Post 3116302)

An Interesting SETI Candidate in Hercules

Quote:

No one is claiming that this is the work of an extraterrestrial civilization, but it is certainly worth further study.

Quote:

The possibility of noise of one form or another cannot be ruled out, and researchers in Paris led by Jean Schneider are considering the possible microlensing of a background source by HD164595. But the signal is provocative enough that the RATAN-600 researchers are calling for permanent monitoring of this target.