Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   What is going on with Vince Young? (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=67557)

DeToxRox 09-09-2008 10:57 AM

What is going on with Vince Young?

This is such a crazy story .. per PFT.com

Quote:

FISHER FEARED FOR YOUNG
Posted by Mike Florio on September 9, 2008, 9:49 a.m.

The situation in Tennessee has gone from odd to bizarre to downright freaky.

On Monday night, Titans coach Jeff Fisher became worried about Young because he left his home abruptly at 7:30 p.m. and because he seemed “emotionally down” and left his cell phone behind.

Fisher eventually tracked Young down, and they met at 12:30 a.m. at the team’s facility. Also present at the meeting, per WKRN in Nashville, were police officers.

After the meeting, Fisher called the whole thing a misunderstanding. Unnamed sources told WKRN that concerns about Young’s state of mind were unfounded.

Even if that’s true, the mere fact that Fisher developed such concerns about Young strongly suggests that some serious stuff has been happening behind the scenes in Tennessee, and that Sunday’s sideline incident very well could be the beginning of the end of Young’s career with the Titans, and possibly with any other NFL team.

In addition to being booed at home during the regular-season opener and then initially refusing to take the field after throwing his second interception, Young reportedly will miss two-to-four weeks with an MCL injury.

MORE DETAILS ON YOUNG SITUATION
Posted by Mike Florio on September 9, 2008, 11:28 a.m.

Terry McCormick of the Nashville City Paper has additional details regarding last night’s strange events involving Titans quarterback Vince Young.

Per McCormick, “[f]riends and associates” of Young called coach Jeff Fisher regarding Young’s emotional state, and Fisher called police at 7:00 p.m. local time.

He was located four hours later and met with Fisher at the team’s headquarters. Per WKRN-TV, police were present for the meeting as well.

“Given the totality of the circumstances, a bulletin was issued to all on-duty officers to be on the lookout for Young’s vehicle,” Metro police spokesman Don Aaron said. “Police negotiators were also placed on stand-by not knowing what his emotional status was.”

Aaron also acknowledged that “Young had been emotionally [sic] all day when he abruptly left his Williamson County home without his cellphone and sped away.”

We’re still confused as to why police negotiators would have been notified based merely on the fact that Young was missing, and this fact lends credence to rumors that some sort of incident occurred, possibly at the team’s facility.

Now add in that he had to be talked into going back into the game Sunday, plus the talk of how he almost retired after his rookie year, and it makes me think there is something not right with VY.

sachmo71 09-09-2008 10:58 AM

something is wrong with players from Texas. Seriously.

MikeVic 09-09-2008 10:59 AM

Wow! Link?

DeToxRox 09-09-2008 10:59 AM

ProFootballTalk.com

Anthony 09-09-2008 11:00 AM

maybe that horrible test score he got on the Wonderlic shouldn't have been ignored.

i blame it all on Alge Crumpler. wherever he goes - QBs implode.

MikeVic 09-09-2008 11:02 AM

I'll blame it on Alge Crumpler as well.

Anthony 09-09-2008 11:06 AM

WARNING: keep this guy away from your QB's.

Atocep 09-09-2008 11:18 AM

Part of this probably goes back to Mack Brown and his inability to prepare players for actual criticism and failure.

ISiddiqui 09-09-2008 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony (Post 1828121)
maybe that horrible test score he got on the Wonderlic shouldn't have been ignored.

Perhaps so... Guy gets a 6 on Wonderlic and apparently is a mental mess? Well, let's just say that doesn't sound all too shocking.

Kodos 09-09-2008 11:30 AM

This is just the Madden Curse taking its time.

Julio Riddols 09-09-2008 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodos (Post 1828159)
This is just the Madden Curse taking its time.

This seems to be the most likely scenario IMO.

Anthony 09-09-2008 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISiddiqui (Post 1828152)
Perhaps so... Guy gets a 6 on Wonderlic and apparently is a mental mess? Well, let's just say that doesn't sound all too shocking.

i wonder if we could look at past test scores and see if there's any correlation between low scores and erratic behavior. what did Vick get on his? what about Adam Jones? i know the Wonderlic isn't so much a personality test as it is a test to guage capacity to absorb huge amounts of info. or am i wrong. its just maybe that score should've realyl raised red falgs and maybe his erratic time in the NFL shouldn't be such a surprise.

Chubby 09-09-2008 12:00 PM

Didn't he almost retire after his rookie season anyways?

I'd wager to guess he's bipolar or some sort and has never been diagnosed or sought treatment because that would be deemed "weak" for a football player.

Chubby 09-09-2008 12:00 PM

oh, and this thread should be merged with the monthly NFL thread

Huckleberry 09-09-2008 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atocep (Post 1828146)
Part of this probably goes back to Mack Brown and his inability to prepare players for actual criticism and failure.

FTW.

Mack Brown's program theory of "family" isn't so much like a real family as it is a coddlefest. If you think about it, the only Texas player in Mack's tenure that has done a bangup job of dealing with criticism is Chris Simms. Simms was around that kind of thing as a kid because he got to hear the typical crap thrown at his dad, who was a Super Bowl champion QB. So Simms got used to it, knew how to handle it by watching his dad, and has been by far the best able to handle the situation after leaving Texas.

The rest of the former Longhorns aren't on the same planet in this regard. What's going on with Vince is that he's acting like a baby and he's not used to people calling him on it. Coming back to Texas for his jersey retirement last week probably didn't help as it just reminded him of the coddled God status he enjoyed here. Which, to be honest, he probably deserved in Austin. But Brown and staff do not prepare kids for what happens after Austin.

It sucks that he'll never progress in the NFL like he could have, but the red flags are way too obvious at this point. I'll be amazed if he turns it around. I don't think he's gotten all that much help at the WR postition, for example, but there's still no excuse for his behavior. Just explanations like above.

Fortunately for me, I don't really give a shit about the NFL and he'll still just be the guy that brought us the first national championship of my lifetime. :D

Anthony 09-09-2008 12:14 PM

i would say its a shame, but its not. children starving in africa is a shame. a QB who can't handle the problems and pressure that multi-millions come wit' isn't a shame.

where can one find more info on how Texas coddles its players?

Subby 09-09-2008 12:22 PM

NFL >>> Console Nerdchat

albionmoonlight 09-09-2008 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chubby (Post 1828188)
Didn't he almost retire after his rookie season anyways?

I'd wager to guess he's bipolar or some sort and has never been diagnosed or sought treatment because that would be deemed "weak" for a football player.

I'd guess undiagnosed mental illness, too. Reminds me of Ricky Williams with the Saints before his social anxiety disorder diagnosis.

The normal caveats about not being a doctor but having stayed at a Holiday Inn apply.

Atocep 09-09-2008 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony (Post 1828203)

where can one find more info on how Texas coddles its players?

I don't know where you can find more info, but I lived in San Antonio from '03 to '07 and its common knowledge in that area. The story that goes with Selvin Young going undrafted is that he supposedly fumbled a punt on the first day of senior bowl practices, got yelled at by a coach, and promptly walked off the field.

While Norm Chow was OC of the Titans I remember hearing an interview with him where he alluded to the fact that Vince Young will get defensive, start whining, and blaming others when things start going bad.

Galaril 09-09-2008 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chubby (Post 1828189)
oh, and this thread should be merged with the monthly NFL thread

Are you a board moderator? Not trying to be a wise-ass just a serious question.

Galaril 09-09-2008 12:41 PM

As a Titans fan Young has been a huge disappointmnet along with the wasted top 5 pickin the draft for Pacman who is now wearing a Cowboys uni and VY th eTitans are quickly heading the franchise to disaster. They have been lucking with the stellar defense. As for Young I think he will never amount to much as a player but I truely hope the guy gets some help he sounds like a real emotional mess. I hate to see this story turn tragic.

Chubby 09-09-2008 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galaril (Post 1828233)
Are you a board moderator? Not trying to be a wise-ass just a serious question.

Nope, I just find certain mods decisions hypocritical :)

We'd have post counts and avatars if i was a mod ::p

sachmo71 09-09-2008 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chubby (Post 1828250)

you still would be angry. only admins can make those kinds of changes.

Huckleberry 09-09-2008 12:59 PM

I forgot to mention that while Young's behavior lately has been terrible, this particular incident is a joke.

A guy went out for a ride and left his cell phone at home. BFD. Sounds like he was hanging out with some chick that got all scared when he took off. I admit there may be some thoughts as to his overall behavior lately, but this one still doesn't seem like it should have gotten as big as it did. Lots of people take off for a drive when they want some time alone to think.

Senator 09-09-2008 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huckleberry (Post 1828201)

Mack Brown's program theory of "family" isn't so much like a real family as it is a coddlefest.

Totally agree with you sir.

Quote:

Chris Simms handled it and handles it well

So totally disagree with you sir.

sachmo71 09-09-2008 01:08 PM

Inside Vince Young's mind:

Huckleberry 09-09-2008 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senator (Post 1828265)
So totally disagree with you sir.

Give an example of a way that Simms has handled criticism poorly. Do not blame Simms for ways that Mack Brown handled criticism of Simms poorly.

Senator 09-09-2008 01:28 PM

It's an old debate that good friends should not get into here. Just a perception I have over the course of a career.

gstelmack 09-09-2008 01:34 PM

Every day that goes by makes Houston's draft that year look better and better...

PackerFanatic 09-09-2008 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachmo71 (Post 1828282)

....wow. Not sure why, but I watched that whole thing. Very...interesting...

PackerFanatic 09-09-2008 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gstelmack (Post 1828330)
Every day that goes by makes Houston's draft that year look better and better...

+1

Huckleberry 09-09-2008 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senator (Post 1828322)
It's an old debate that good friends should not get into here. Just a perception I have over the course of a career.

That's fine if you don't want to get into it. But that second sentence sounds an awful lot like you don't have any examples.

Tasan 09-09-2008 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chubby (Post 1828250)

We don't have post counts? I see them. When did those come back anyway?

Logan 09-09-2008 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huckleberry (Post 1828263)
I forgot to mention that while Young's behavior lately has been terrible, this particular incident is a joke.

A guy went out for a ride and left his cell phone at home. BFD. Sounds like he was hanging out with some chick that got all scared when he took off. I admit there may be some thoughts as to his overall behavior lately, but this one still doesn't seem like it should have gotten as big as it did. Lots of people take off for a drive when they want some time alone to think.

I find it funny that you can't find one NFL or Titans source who don't see this as a "BFD." Only people connected to Texas.

Chubby 09-09-2008 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tasan (Post 1828344)
We don't have post counts? I see them. When did those come back anyway?

they must be right next to the delete thread function :)

Ragone 09-09-2008 07:33 PM

Apparently he missed a mri yesterday.. and missed the rescheduled one today.. i'm wondering if he isn't faking his injury

EagleFan 09-09-2008 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachmo71 (Post 1828114)
something is wrong with Texas. Seriously.

Fixed it for ya... ;)

DanGarion 09-09-2008 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachmo71 (Post 1828282)

Except for the words being spelled properly that's probably about right.

JonInMiddleGA 09-10-2008 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragone (Post 1828626)
i'm wondering if he isn't faking his injury

I suspect you may not be the only person wondering that.

My Way - Sports News

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -The mother of Titans quarterback Vince Young said he's "hurting inside and out" and indicated he doesn't want to play football.

Felicia Young said in Wednesday editions of The Tennessean that her son is tired of all the negativity he's faced after being booed during a 17-10 win Sunday over Jacksonville. On Monday, Titans coach Jeff Fisher called police to help find him.

"What would you think, if you were tired of being ridiculed and persecuted and talked about and not being treated very well, what would you do? What kind of decision would you make?" Felicia Young said "He may not want to deal with it (all), but you have to get to that point before you make that decision first.

"But we're not talking about football right now. We're talking about what would make him happy, and that is the most important thing."

The phone number for Young's home is unlisted, and his agent, Major Adams, did not answer his cell phone Wednesday morning. The Titans did not immediately return a message left by The Associated Press. ... His mental state has been in question since being booed Sunday after his second interception during the Jacksonville game. He didn't want to go back into the game until prodded by Fisher.

He sprained his left medical collateral ligament four plays later and could be out for up to four weeks. Fisher said Tuesday night he is only ruling Young out for Sunday's game at Cincinnati. ...

spleen1015 09-10-2008 10:42 AM

Is the the result of someone who has been pampered his whole life because he was good at something and now that he is facing some challenges, he is ill equipped to handle criticism?

Galaxy 09-10-2008 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spleen1015 (Post 1829226)
Is the the result of someone who has been pampered his whole life because he was good at something and now that he is facing some challenges, he is ill equipped to handle criticism?

Could be....

Senator 09-10-2008 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spleen1015 (Post 1829226)

+a very large number

hhiipp 09-10-2008 11:12 AM

People should start to use this as an example of why every kid, even those on a losing team shouldn't be celebrated as a champion. Don't coddle my kids, I don't want them to go all Vince Young later in life.

Raiders Army 09-10-2008 11:39 AM

I hate Donovan McNabb with all of my heart, but if there's someone who could talk some sense into Vince Young, it would be him. McNabb has had to deal with a lot in his NFL career from the moment he was drafted (booed because Philly fans wanted Ricky Williams...see how that turned out). Maybe some mentorship from another QB in a similar situation would help.

Antmeister 09-10-2008 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiders Army (Post 1829305)
I hate Donovan McNabb with all of my heart, but if there's someone who could talk some sense into Vince Young, it would be him. McNabb has had to deal with a lot in his NFL career from the moment he was drafted (booed because Philly fans wanted Ricky Williams...see how that turned out). Maybe some mentorship from another QB in a similar situation would help.

He could just walk across the locker room and talk with Kerry Collins who had his own issues earlier in his career and battled back from that.

Fidatelo 09-10-2008 11:57 AM

Didn't Steve McNair get ragged on a lot when he was younger? You'd think they could get him to come in and have a talk with Young, unless he still hates everyone in the organization for how he departed...

Oilers9911 09-10-2008 12:04 PM

Wow. If he is so mentally weak that he can't take some booing he should just retire now and do something else.

Anthony 09-10-2008 12:08 PM

yeah, this may not be a good career for him.

just cuz your hands don't shake uncontrollably doesn't mean you're a good candidate to be a surgeon. the talent is just one factor - mental is also important. just like how if you don't stutter doesn't mean you're meant to be a salesman. this probably isn't for him, no matter how agile and athletic he is with a football in his hand.

Galaril 09-10-2008 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oilers9911 (Post 1829332)
Wow. If he is so mentally weak that he can't take some booing he should just retire now and do something else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony (Post 1829337)
yeah, this may not be a good career for him.

just cuz your hands don't shake uncontrollably doesn't mean you're a good candidate to be a surgeon. the talent is just one factor - mental is also important. just like how if you don't stutter doesn't mean you're meant to be a salesman. this probably isn't for him, no matter how agile and athletic he is with a football in his hand.

Yup, even many of the diehard Young apologists are starting to come off the VY coolaid and see this is a failed experiment. I see we picke dup Chris Sims which could mean we are going to start grooming him to take over from Collins by mid season.

Logan 09-10-2008 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fidatelo (Post 1829326)
Didn't Steve McNair get ragged on a lot when he was younger? You'd think they could get him to come in and have a talk with Young, unless he still hates everyone in the organization for how he departed...

He was actually in town for the game for some kind of (10th year in Tenn?) cleebration.