Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The "Revolution (NBC) will probably suck" Discussion Thread (spoilers) (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=84943)

Easy Mac 09-18-2012 08:46 AM

The "Revolution (NBC) will probably suck" Discussion Thread (spoilers)

This seems like the kind of show we discuss in threads around here, more so than most other new shows this fall season. So discuss. And because I'm annoying, please don't worry about spoiler tags, hence the declaration of spoilers in the title.

JPhillips 09-18-2012 08:47 AM

But she shoots arrows just like in Hunger Games.

That has to make it good.

saldana 09-18-2012 08:49 AM

i liked it. had the distinct feel of an Abrams show where there is always a little bit of a WTF moment at the end. I was impressed by the amount of violence considering it was a network show...thought it was kind of funny that in 15 years we have regressed to muzzle loading muskets, but the fact that they developed that much of the story that quickly made for a really good first episode.

i have my seasons pass set.

Easy Mac 09-18-2012 09:03 AM

I don't really understand the muskets. So do modern handguns not work anymore? People still are able to make bullets by hand, so why would 15 year old handguns no longer work?

CleBrownsfan 09-18-2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy Mac (Post 2716394)
I don't really understand the muskets. So do modern handguns not work anymore? People still are able to make bullets by hand, so why would 15 year old handguns no longer work?

This. I was fixated about the lack of "modern" guns after 15 years. They really had to turn to muskets and bow/arrow?! I'm still giving it a shot but I don't think this one will last...

DaddyTorgo 09-18-2012 09:15 AM

Pretty "meh" about this, which sucks because I thought it could be good. -Google-guy...haha. That was funny.
-Pretty convenient that the brother just so happens to be a super-badass fighter who can take out like 10 guys with guns and swords attacking him at once.
-Wouldn't the inhaler have "gone bad" for lack of a better word, in 15 years?
-So I can understand the argument for "cars don't work" because of the amount of electronics in them, but other forms of internal combustion engines should still work judging by these rules hmm? And steam engines...and hydroelectric power...and wind power...
-Saw the "betrayal" and "redemption" way ahead of time - that was pretty damn telegraphed.
-Twist at the end...meh.

saldana 09-18-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo (Post 2716403)
Pretty "meh" about this, which sucks because I thought it could be good. -Google-guy...haha. That was funny.
-Pretty convenient that the brother just so happens to be a super-badass fighter who can take out like 10 guys with guns and swords attacking him at once.
-Wouldn't the inhaler have "gone bad" for lack of a better word, in 15 years?
-So I can understand the argument for "cars don't work" because of the amount of electronics in them, but other forms of internal combustion engines should still work judging by these rules hmm? And steam engines...and hydroelectric power...and wind power...
-Saw the "betrayal" and "redemption" way ahead of time - that was pretty damn telegraphed.
-Twist at the end...meh.

this was the biggest "uh what" moment for me, along with the fact that they all have really nice clean clothes on and their hair is impeccably clean.

Matthean 09-18-2012 12:04 PM

11.4 million viewers. Highest debut for a drama. Last one to be that high, V. Last one for NBC, Bionic Woman. Considering the logic holes already being mentioned, it will be interesting to see how well this lasts since neither of the previous record setters did either.

DaddyTorgo 09-18-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saldana (Post 2716430)
this was the biggest "uh what" moment for me, along with the fact that they all have really nice clean clothes on and their hair is impeccably clean.

Liked the girl's perfect "just off the rack" leather jacket. Or the AC/DC t-shirt.

15 years...original clothes are really going to be ratty as hell, especially being hand-washed with the kind of soaps they'd have available.

BrianD 09-18-2012 12:37 PM

The brother being a good fighter is a necessary trapping for a TV show. If we accept the premise that he is important enough to be looked for over 15 years, we have to accept the premise that he has the skills to evade capture. If we don't accept that premise, this show is over in less than an hour.

The pretty hair and clothes is similar. You won't get a US audience to watch unless it is full of pretty people.

I'd put the gun thing down to the fact that firearms are a hanging offense. People probably could make guns that are more complex, but since they basically have to make their own, that becomes difficult.

The engine issue I don't really have an explanation for. If you can get settled enough to have crops and livestock, you'd think there could be some basic wind power or water wheels or something.

Thomkal 09-18-2012 01:17 PM

Was "Ok" for me, and like most Abrams shows full of holes and inconsistent "rules" for the show's setting. I did like the twist at the end-I had known from the promo that a character was going to have one of the devices and know what to do with it, but I thought it was the fat guy (Ross?) who would know. But wonder what she is doing out there all alone apparently for years if what she does is so important to Earth's future.

Not a fan of the actor playing General Monroe from his ER days unfortunately, but will watch a couple episodes at least to see how the plot and characters develop.

Alan T 09-18-2012 01:20 PM

Probably not a huge surprise to most, but I liked it (as I seem to like most of these type shows). So that means two things usually.. 1) Most of you will end up hating it and be super critical.. 2) NBC will cancel it after 6 episodes :)

I have it on the DVR though and hope it lasts a while

stevew 09-18-2012 01:24 PM

DVR'ing this. Will watch if it's going to last.

DanGarion 09-18-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomkal (Post 2716599)

Not a fan of the actor playing General Monroe from his ER days unfortunately, but will watch a couple episodes at least to see how the plot and characters develop.

No no no, it's the guy from..... "THE CAPE!"

Thomkal 09-18-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanGarion (Post 2716620)
No no no, it's the guy from..... "THE CAPE!"

Yeah and I hated him even more there! :)

CrimsonFox 09-18-2012 04:23 PM

on another note, I'm loving Lost :)

mckerney 09-18-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy Mac (Post 2716394)

Most people probably started with a pretty low repair skill. It's likely that once they'd leveled it up enough to keep firearms in a proper state of repair they had broken most of the modern guns.

stevew 09-18-2012 04:37 PM

it's possible that the electromagnetic field of the earth has changed and therefore rendered electricity inoperable, I think maybe. Just throwing out a quasi possible scientific idea i think.

BrianD 09-18-2012 04:41 PM

From what I have read, main story and plot points are already mapped out, unlike with Lost. I'd like to think that means they have logical rules for their world which they will eventually share with us. I could certainly be wrong, but I am hoping Abrams learned from Lost.

CrimsonFox 09-18-2012 04:50 PM

wait...abrams is doing revolution?

Crapshoot 09-18-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saldana (Post 2716430)

"". This drives me nuts. I get its network TV, but dirt and grime is ok in these situations; perfect grooming is offputting in terms of getting me involved in any show. I've only seen ads for Revolution, but this made me think it was going to be silly, NBC style.

CrimsonFox 09-18-2012 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crapshoot (Post 2716684)
"". silly, NBC style.

This is redundant

Crapshoot 09-18-2012 06:42 PM

Point.

stevew 09-18-2012 06:58 PM

From the channel that brought you "Guys with Kids"

BrianD 09-18-2012 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrimsonFox (Post 2716667)
wait...abrams is doing revolution?

He is one of the producers. John Favreau is one of the directors.

BillJasper 09-18-2012 07:30 PM

Dumb.

spleen1015 09-22-2012 06:16 PM

They mentioned car engines not working as part of the mystery to WTF happened in a brief monologue at the beginning, I think.

You guys should pay attention.

BishopMVP 09-23-2012 04:12 AM

Lost was tolerable during its slow parts and plot holes because the acting carried it. Locke, Ben, Desmond, even Jack and many minor characters were so good that hokey dialogue was forgiven. Outside of Gus Fring and maybe the woman at the end, Revolution was brutal. As much as I hate judging any show off a pilot, I have a hard time seeing it ever being good. (I'll probably still watch anyway, but I also watched all of FlashForward and Terra Nova.)

Edward64 09-23-2012 07:46 AM

I enjoyed the pilot. I hope its not another Lost with all the teasing (and teasing, and teasing). The fighting choreography could be better but I remember early days of Highlander series and how it got progressively better.

cadmus2166 09-23-2012 08:16 AM

I didn't think it was great, but it was decent enough that I'll give it a few episodes and see where it goes.

Lathum 09-23-2012 08:22 AM

I really enjoyed it. Pace moved along well and it was a fun hour of tv. I dont over think these things to much. I just want to be entertained.

Raiders Army 09-23-2012 10:00 AM

I concur with those who enjoyed it. It's strange, but the Miles character is somewhat likeable and unlikeable at the same time. I like the character, but I don't necessarily like the fact that he's essentially the Han Solo character (albeit without Chewie).

rowech 09-23-2012 10:05 AM

More and more, I've decided scifi fans are outrageously tough on shows.

Lathum 09-23-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rowech (Post 2718468)

For sure.

It is like they want every little detail perfect yet complain like hell when the network cancels the show because it is to expensive to produce.

rowech 09-23-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 2718470)
For sure.

It is like they want every little detail perfect yet complain like hell when the network cancels the show because it is to expensive to produce.

Yes.

BishopMVP 09-23-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 2718470)
For sure.

Disagree. I don't want to beat a dead horse, but outside of Firefly, every canceled SciFi-esque show had horrible acting.

Eaglesfan27 09-23-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rowech (Post 2718468)

Agreed. I enjoyed the show. Although, I did wonder about the Asthma inhaler still being good and a few other inconsistencies. I'm hoping these inconsistencies will be explained in future episodes.

Ryan S 09-24-2012 03:15 PM

The doctor has a terrible English accent. Since she clearly can't pull it off, why not make the character Australian?

RainMaker 09-24-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BishopMVP (Post 2718475)
Disagree. I don't want to beat a dead horse, but outside of Firefly, every canceled SciFi-esque show had horrible acting.

BSG was pretty good.

I'm in on the show although I'm in on almost every sci-fi show. My hope for the show is that it doesn't come across cheesy. The concept of a post-electronic world is interesting, but I have a fear it's falling into the trap of stereotypical TV characters. We already have the love story lined up, the quirky sidekick who doesn't fit in, the elite soldier who I'm sure we'll find out was trained by the best in some secret covert part of the military.

I don't need ultra-realistic characters in a show, just different ones. I love Walter from Fringe because he's so unique. BSG was great because the characters weren't one dimensional caricatures. I hope these characters in Revolution are unique and not just your standard fare that are seen over and over in TV shows and movies.

Thomkal 09-25-2012 02:16 PM

So no thoughts on the second episode yet? I thought it was a little better than the first episode, but nothing spectacular. The twist at the very end was interesting though-I'm curious to see how that happened.

gstelmack 09-25-2012 02:33 PM

I missed the first, watched the second. Thought it was okay, I'll probably keep watching. I did keep waiting for Kevin Costner to show up and deliver the mail, though.

Easy Mac 09-25-2012 02:57 PM

Did a 3.5 last night, so it should be good to stay all season, as long as NBC doesn't give it abnormally long breaks. NBC actually won Monday night in its entirety, after finishing last (not counting the CW) all last year.

DaddyTorgo 09-25-2012 04:29 PM

Last night was alright. I'm still onboard I suppose.

rowech 09-25-2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 2719125)
BSG was pretty good.

I'm in on the show although I'm in on almost every sci-fi show. My hope for the show is that it doesn't come across cheesy. The concept of a post-electronic world is interesting, but I have a fear it's falling into the trap of stereotypical TV characters. We already have the love story lined up, the quirky sidekick who doesn't fit in, the elite soldier who I'm sure we'll find out was trained by the best in some secret covert part of the military.

I don't need ultra-realistic characters in a show, just different ones. I love Walter from Fringe because he's so unique. BSG was great because the characters weren't one dimensional caricatures. I hope these characters in Revolution are unique and not just your standard fare that are seen over and over in TV shows and movies.

BSG wasn't canceled after it's first season which I think was the point.

wade moore 09-26-2012 07:00 AM

I'm thoroughly in the "it's not bad, hope it gets better" camp right now.

I get very annoyed at "next time on" stuff that gives away major plot points. Some shows I just know to not watch those.

Looks like this needs to be added to the list.

RainMaker 09-26-2012 07:05 AM

I like it so far. You have to give these shows at least half a season to really form an opinion though. But so far it's kept me interested and I'm looking forward to seeing where things go.

BrianD 09-26-2012 12:45 PM

I have a feeling this show is going to end up being different than I thought. I initially thought it was going to be a natural disaster, ensuing chaos, and rebuilding society type show. Now it looks like it will be a man-made disaster for some unknown political/power gain. It may still be good, I just need to reset my expectations.

It will be nice when Charlie (Tracy) gets a few more episodes under her belt. Her acting is a little jarring, but it is close enough to hope that settling into the role will help.

stevew 09-30-2012 01:08 AM

Decent show. Suffers from a bit too much right wing anti-gun control paranoia. But whatever.

Matthean 10-03-2012 11:01 AM

Picked up for the season and setting DVR records for NBC.

Millions Time-Shift Disappointment As 'Revolution' Sets DVR Record

Alan T 10-03-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthean (Post 2723428)
Picked up for the season and setting DVR records for NBC.

Millions Time-Shift Disappointment As 'Revolution' Sets DVR Record

I fall into this category. I'm watching it recorded every week. Its alright so far, I am hoping it picks up.