Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Trump Presidency – 2016 (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=92014)

Julio Riddols 07-06-2017 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3165828)

How about: No ideas, but give us money!

Wow. The Democratic party has become a group of hand wringing pussies with no idea how to rally anyone to their cause. These are about as good as those school speakers who come in and say shit like "Just tell the bully you do not like what you are doing and that they should respect you"

What they need to say can't be said on a sticker, and those stickers aren't going to make someone who is on the fence decide to go democrat in the next election. How about putting that money toward buying air time and taking that air time to present a concise and clear path toward a better country for everyone? I'd try and source data from Fox News and other Republican sources and use that to illustrate my points, trying to be inclusive of the opponent while also showing why things aren't working the way they are now. Using sites and media companies that are known Democratic sources will never play to the other side in any way. I'd also be working incredibly hard to find and put forward a candidate that has charisma and intelligence who also comes from a working class background if at all possible. People need someone who they can believe has their best interests in mind and who knows what its like to be struggling to pay bills and put food on the table, who can show that and talk about it without sounding out of touch. They also need to own up to the shitty things they have done and show that they can accept blame for their own fuck ups.

But nah, lets try memes instead and see if trying and failing to be hip can help us get our constituents to give a shit again. It's unforgivable that this party cannot find a way to do better given the current situation.

albionmoonlight 07-06-2017 07:32 AM

The GOP leader is going overseas and trashing America in Eastern Europe while clearly preferring Russia to the United States.

The Dems are holding sticker contests.

Just goes to show how strongly the Constitution's structure works against 3rd parties.

albionmoonlight 07-06-2017 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julio Riddols (Post 3165859)
It's unforgivable that this party cannot find a way to do better given the current situation.

1000X yes. It is a political party that is transcendentally bad at politics.

I actually like most of their policies (which is why I'm a member), but the inability to win elections (or even come up with a plan as to how to win them) is . . . kind of a problem?

ISiddiqui 07-06-2017 09:23 AM

I'm a bit shocked that people think a) If a party is having a sticker contest that is ALL it's doing at the moment, and b) that no parties until this moment have had a sticker contest.

I mean it's not even on the front page of their website.

Talk about panicking based on nothing.

digamma 07-06-2017 09:59 AM

I don't think it's panicking, but I do think it is easy to feel really deflated if you're a Democrat right now. Since 1992, with a slight blip in 2006-2009, the Republicans have kicked electoral ass, particularly on the local level. I think the Dems have done a good job in shifting a lot of narratives (LBGTQ rights, for example), but in truth the Republicans are seeing the fruits of their labor in the 90s with better districts in lots and lots of cases.

That said, I do think there's room for optimism on the left. The resistance to Trump can be galvanized into electoral success. I like Tom Perez--he deserves a chance to lead the national party, but the state and local races are where there need to be great strides in 2018. Quit worrying about Bernie vs. Kamala vs. Biden and worry about who your local reps are, and your neighbor's rep and their neighbor's rep.

Kodos 07-06-2017 10:02 AM

Katy Tur had an interesting comment last night. She asked the governor of Virginia who was the leader of the Democratic party. The guy refused to give a name. She said for the past 6 months she has been asking that question, and none of the Democrats will answer. I imagine everyone is trying to avoid saying Nancy Pelosi.

By the way, does anyone else have a crush on Katy Tur?

digamma 07-06-2017 10:15 AM

I guess my response to that would be to ask who the leader of the Republican party was from 1992 to 2000? Newt possibly? Dole was more of a sacrificial lamb in 96. Someone behind the scenes? Rush Limbaugh? That time period is really when the Republican machine kicked into gear.

JediKooter 07-06-2017 10:27 AM

Regardless of if the democratic party is doing a sticker party or a bake sale, if it isn't glaringly obvious to anyone with a lick of common sense that the dumpster fire that is the current administration has to go, the problem is beyond the party organizers at that point. With the crap that Trump is pulling and his appointments, we are going to be paying for it for years after he's gone and if that doesn't get people to the polls in 2018 to neuter him as much as possible, well then I guess we can all vote Putin in 2020.

albionmoonlight 07-06-2017 10:37 AM

My frustration/dissolution as a Democrat has been the lack of success on everything but the presidential level. But for President Obama and his coattails, the party has been light years behind the GOP.

Here in NC, the GOP has drawn the state legislative districts so carefully that even as a Democrat became governor, the GOP maintained a veto-proof majority in the state legislature. And the GOP used the lame duck period to shift a lot of power from the governor to the legislature.

That's how the GOP plays--to win. I'm not sure what the party that represents my interests is doing. They seem 20 years behind the times in terms of tactics and strategy.

ISiddiqui 07-06-2017 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodos (Post 3165874)
Katy Tur had an interesting comment last night. She asked the governor of Virginia who was the leader of the Democratic party. The guy refused to give a name. She said for the past 6 months she has been asking that question, and none of the Democrats will answer. I imagine everyone is trying to avoid saying Nancy Pelosi.

Why would anyone say Nancy Pelosi? The answer is Tom Perez.

Or the Democrats that were asked may not want to get into a Bernie vs. the Party war.

JonInMiddleGA 07-06-2017 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISiddiqui (Post 3165872)
I'm a bit shocked that people think a) If a party is having a sticker contest that is ALL it's doing at the moment, and b) that no parties until this moment have had a sticker contest. I mean it's not even on the front page of their website. Talk about panicking based on nothing.

The phrase that comes to mind is "it's the optics of the thing".

Or presumably that's the reason it's getting some play I would imagine.

ISiddiqui 07-06-2017 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3165881)
The phrase that comes to mind is "it's the optics of the thing".

Or presumably that's the reason it's getting some play I would imagine.

Eh... it's part of an email/tweet to supporters.

molson 07-06-2017 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISiddiqui (Post 3165872)
I'm a bit shocked that people think a) If a party is having a sticker contest that is ALL it's doing at the moment, and b) that no parties until this moment have had a sticker contest.

I mean it's not even on the front page of their website.

Talk about panicking based on nothing.

The stickers are just a symptom, or a small sign of the problem, the reasons for panic are losing to Donald Trump and otherwise failing politically against a Republican party that is growing scarier.

JPhillips 07-06-2017 10:58 AM

A few things.

I'm not bothered by having a sticker contest. I'm bothered that this is the best the DCCC can come up with. Pithy slogans are fine, but they need to be good. Can you imagine a Coke slogan: Have you seen the other colas? This has shown that the DCCC has nothing to offer in the continuing quest for a Dem brand.

But there is a possible solution! Apparently work is being done on a Better Deal platform. Of course a bunch of Dems immediately said they wouldn't agree to it, whatever it may be. The details of the agenda would matter, but the refusal to see the necessity for a shared agenda is maddening.

Opposition parties always struggle with leadership, but the good news is that that will solve itself in 2020. Who wants to name a party leader when most of the people being asked probably consider themselves as possible contenders? I'd be interested in asking GOP electeds the same question. I wonder how many would say Trump?

I hope Perez and Ellison are focused on state elections in 2020. The nationals tend to work themselves out, but the census and redistricting is the single most important thing the party needs to win. Redrawing even half of the 22 seats the AP estimates went GOP because of gerrymandering would be huge.

lungs 07-06-2017 11:09 AM

My sister-in-law has a genius brother that is into psychometrics and some pretty far out stuff. The DNC has been in contact with his company about utilizing them for some next generation stuff.

So there are more than sticker contests going on :)

thesloppy 07-06-2017 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3165884)
I'm not bothered by having a sticker contest. I'm bothered that this is the best the DCCC can come up with. Pithy slogans are fine, but they need to be good. Can you imagine a Coke slogan: Have you seen the other colas?

That one really is the worst. I mean it's stickers, so I don't know how much substance I should be expecting, but if I'm judging by those stickers the Dem strategy is split between 'look at the other guys', 'Hillary tried pretty hard', and 'let's go blue team.'. Keep sucking that chicken.

Julio Riddols 07-06-2017 12:07 PM

For me it's not so much that I think a sticker contest is all that they are doing, it's how awful and out of touch those stickers are. One only blatantly breeds more divisiveness, two seem like they are made with an Elizabeth Warren run in mind (Which I would be fine with but I don't think need to be on a sticker already) and the other is just a weak play on Make America Great Again which is also divisive.

If there has to be a sticker with a slogan or something on it, I feel like I could come up with about a hundred better than these in a few hours.

"We've got work to do"
"Jobs, Infrastructure, Education, Clean Air"
"No more fucking around"
"We're sorry about forcing Hillary on you"
"Corporations are not people"
"America's reputation is at stake"
"Inform yourself"
"This affects us all"
"Learning from our mistakes"
"It's your right to bear arms"
"The system is broken"
"Direction and purpose"
"Our children come first"
"The future hangs in the balance"
"Our country can be better"
"More cooperation, better legislation"
"Division is destructive"
"From the ground up"
"We must protect this house"
"Your vote is vital"

Anyway, I'm not gonna sit here and come up with these for another 2 hours and 45 minutes or pretend I am some kind of political strategist, but I think all of the above (even the joke ones) are better without pulling more of the "We're better than them" bullshit that only serves to separate this country and draw sharper lines/ dig deeper chasms between its people. That shit needs to stop and it needs to come from the top down. Our leaders need to be leaders, not pretend they're better than anyone or play these dumb ass school yard finger pointing games.

bhlloy 07-06-2017 12:30 PM

We just don't understand after a year of telling people the other side is awful and they are too if they vote for them why people aren't voting for us guys

Maybe we just need more stickers? Brilliant idea Brian!

ISiddiqui 07-06-2017 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesloppy (Post 3165888)
That one really is the worst. I mean it's stickers, so I don't know how much substance I should be expecting, but if I'm judging by those stickers the Dem strategy is split between 'look at the other guys', 'Hillary tried pretty hard', and 'let's go blue team.'. Keep sucking that chicken.

She Persisted is about Warren, not Hillary.

thesloppy 07-06-2017 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISiddiqui (Post 3165892)
She Persisted is about Warren, not Hillary.

Okay, I guess. So we're celebrating that Pelosi 'persisted' through a crushing loss? My greatest wish is that all the Third Way Dems would stop persisting as soon as possible.

ISiddiqui 07-06-2017 01:43 PM

???

What does Pelosi have to do with Warren?

sabotai 07-06-2017 01:53 PM

"She persisted, WE RESISTED" sounds like an anti-Warren slogan. Just awful.

sabotai 07-06-2017 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodos (Post 3165874)
By the way, does anyone else have a crush on Katy Tur?

Not bad, but my news-crush is Lana Zak.

Easy Mac 07-06-2017 02:07 PM

So the South Carolina government said they won't hand over voter data to the "Election Integrity Committee." It is run by Republicans.

The chairman of the SC GOP has released a statement stating he will buy voter data as a private citizen and hand it over to the committee.

It makes sense since Clinton won the state by so much...

cuervo72 07-06-2017 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISiddiqui (Post 3165880)
Why would anyone say Nancy Pelosi? The answer is Tom Perez.

Or the Democrats that were asked may not want to get into a Bernie vs. the Party war.

Maybe someone can see what Ed Rendell is up to.

Thomkal 07-06-2017 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy Mac (Post 3165906)
So the South Carolina government said they won't hand over voter data to the "Election Integrity Committee." It is run by Republicans.

The chairman of the SC GOP has released a statement stating he will buy voter data as a private citizen and hand it over to the committee.

It makes sense since Clinton won the state by so much...

ah south carolina politics.

thesloppy 07-06-2017 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISiddiqui (Post 3165901)
???

My reading & comprehension skillz are running loooow.

larrymcg421 07-06-2017 03:54 PM

Yes, we should abandon the Third Way and join the Brogressives on an ultra-liberal crusade that tells moderates to fuck off. What a brilliant political strategy. Instead of the Hillary-style defeats, we can reclaim the glory days of Mondale and Dukakis!

And how the fuck does Pelosi qualify as "Third Way" anyways?

I think the only thing worse than the political strategy of the Democratic party is what people (particularly the left wing of the party) think their strategy should be.

thesloppy 07-06-2017 04:08 PM

Guilty as charged. I have absolutely zero ideas for political strategy, and haven't voted Dem since those Mondal and Dukakis days.

JPhillips 07-06-2017 04:15 PM

Both the liberal and moderate wings of the party get too hung up on details when there's general agreement on a lot of issues. Issues that are broadly popular, even. Take the minimum wage, basically all the Dems think it should be increased somewhere to between ten and fifteen dollars an hour.

But instead of everyone agreeing on a message of, "We'll increase the minimum wage," instead everyone fights over exactly how much it should go up. Stop focusing on shit like that until you're actually capable of passing legislation. Now's the time for unity, not purity.

cuervo72 07-06-2017 05:13 PM

Rick Perry on supply and demand economics: Supply it, then demand will follow - CBS News

I think the headline on that one is enough.

JPhillips 07-06-2017 06:13 PM

All's a go for my ass-less khakis!

molson 07-06-2017 06:21 PM

"Perry may have been referencing Say's law of markets, an economic theory that argues supply is the origin of demand."

Trump needs to hire this writer, she could help clean up all of his speeches and twitter rants.

Marc Vaughan 07-07-2017 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 3165947)
"Perry may have been referencing Say's law of markets, an economic theory that argues supply is the origin of demand."

Trump needs to hire this writer, she could help clean up all of his speeches and twitter rants.

That would be true if only 'Says law' hadn't been largely discredited by modern economics .... yes it happened and yes it was a theory, but it didn't hold water ... hence its generally accepted that demand drives supply not the other way around.

(which makes perfect sense if you think about it -there are a ton of examples of corporations who 'thought' people would buy their product and made loads only to find they couldn't sell them ... think of Atari's ET game for instance)

molson 07-07-2017 09:51 PM

I don't think that's what Perry meant, I just thought it was hilarious that the article author came up with that as an explanation.

SteveM58 07-08-2017 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3165927)
Both the liberal and moderate wings of the party get too hung up on details when there's general agreement on a lot of issues. Issues that are broadly popular, even. Take the minimum wage, basically all the Dems think it should be increased somewhere to between ten and fifteen dollars an hour.

But instead of everyone agreeing on a message of, "We'll increase the minimum wage," instead everyone fights over exactly how much it should go up. Stop focusing on shit like that until you're actually capable of passing legislation. Now's the time for unity, not purity.

Let me put my tinfoil hat on (conveniently enough it was already on).

When ineptitude stretches beyond comprehension, with people who ought to understand such things and otherwise seem smart enough to do so....its not likely to be ineptitude. Its an agenda which is not in line with the perceived principles the general public believes to be "Democrat". Most Democrats are neo-liberals, and certainly so in the leadership of the DNC.

The DNC is primarily a platform for corporate sponsored agendas, and secondarily a faux opposition party. Big pharma, big insurance, military industrial complex, big banks, big tech....big everything except oil it seems.

Thats why you don't see people like Pelosi actually putting forward policy like single payer healthcare (didn't even try in 2009), min wage increase, pharmaceutical drug importations, etc. If thats not what a "labor" platform ought to advocate....then wtf is it? She isn't stupid...she and most other Dems are just as bought as the Republicans they rail against. The Dems have become the Republicans who are socially tolerant (or antifa in some cases).

Thats the problem as I see it. There is no counter balance between the elite ruling class and the common people. Corporations and workers. And I say this as somebody who leans heavily towards free market capitalism...which is not the same as the corrupted and legally bribed markets we have (and have had for a long time).

And the best way to distract the DNC's constituency away from their own corruption and purposeful incompetency is...Russia. Its desperate flailing from DNC leaders who are trying to hold onto their control of the DNC.

SteveM58 07-08-2017 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larrymcg421 (Post 3165923)
Yes, we should abandon the Third Way and join the Brogressives on an ultra-liberal crusade that tells moderates to fuck off. What a brilliant political strategy. Instead of the Hillary-style defeats, we can reclaim the glory days of Mondale and Dukakis!

And how the fuck does Pelosi qualify as "Third Way" anyways?

I think the only thing worse than the political strategy of the Democratic party is what people (particularly the left wing of the party) think their strategy should be.

What does a "moderate" Democrat stand for in your mind? Honest question, not intended to be snarky.

JPhillips 07-09-2017 07:50 AM

Harsh, but fair.

RainMaker 07-09-2017 05:11 PM

Pretty big story. Jr doesn't even deny it. Daddy might have to use his pardon power.

Trump’s Son Met With Russian Lawyer After Being Promised Damaging Information on Clinton - NYTimes.com

RainMaker 07-09-2017 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3166124)
Harsh, but fair.

This guy also has a lot to say on the Jews.

CarterNMA 07-09-2017 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3166124)
Harsh, but fair.

I don't think that is harsh at all. I think he hit every nail right on the head. Trump does not care about anything but himself, his power, his money and maybe his children.

I just wish that Uhlmann was not employed by ABC because he'll be discounted for his connection to U.S. media.

Easy Mac 07-09-2017 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 3166164)
Pretty big story. Jr doesn't even deny it. Daddy might have to use his pardon power.

Trump’s Son Met With Russian Lawyer After Being Promised Damaging Information on Clinton - NYTimes.com

So Trump Jr says he met to get info damaging to Clinton, but didn't get any. He was told vague stuff about Clinton's campaign getting money from Russia.

So really, we've literally got the entire election story completely backwards.

Atocep 07-09-2017 06:17 PM

It's amazing just how many meetings with Russian contacts took place and were forgotten in just a few months.

cartman 07-09-2017 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarterNMA (Post 3166167)
I just wish that Uhlmann was not employed by ABC because he'll be discounted for his connection to U.S. media.

He is employed by ABC, the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

JPhillips 07-09-2017 10:32 PM

Future Trump tweet today!

So called Donald Trump Jr. claims he's my "son" but I never met him. Why isn't the media talking about Bill Clinton's bastards. SAD.

albionmoonlight 07-10-2017 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atocep (Post 3166177)
It's amazing just how many meetings with Russian contacts took place and were forgotten in just a few months.

Maybe Russian ambassadors are just really boring?

albionmoonlight 07-10-2017 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3166185)
Future Trump tweet today!

So called Donald Trump Jr. claims he's my "son" but I never met him. Why isn't the media talking about Bill Clinton's bastards. SAD.

:thumbsup:

JPhillips 07-10-2017 08:40 AM

A short script based on DJT Jr.

Acquaintance: Would you like to come to a meeting with a Russian lawyer?

Jr: Sure.

Acquaintance: Don't you want to know more about...

Jr: Nope. I'll be there.

LATER

Jr: Hey Jared, Paul, want to come to a meeting later with a Russian lawyer?

Paul: What's her name?

Jr: Don't know.

Jared: What's it about?

Jr: Don't know.

Paul/Jared: We'll be there!

RainMaker 07-10-2017 06:15 PM

Jr is a remarkably stupid individual. How did he not have a lawyer till today? Why would he put out a release before having a lawyer look at it? I guess this is what it'd be like if Paris Hilton tried her hand at politics.

JPhillips 07-10-2017 06:47 PM

This is all totally okay.

Quote:

Not long before a major crisis ripped through the Middle East, pitting the United States and a bloc of Gulf countries against Qatar, Jared Kushner’s real estate company had unsuccessfully sought a critical half-billion-dollar investment from one of the richest and most influential men in the tiny nation, according to three well-placed sources with knowledge of the near transaction

Qatar is facing an ongoing blockade led by Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, and joined by Egypt and Bahrain, which President Trump has taken credit for sparking. Kushner, meanwhile, has reportedly played a key behind-the-scenes role in hardening the U.S. posture toward the embattled nation.