Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Trump Presidency – 2016 (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=92014)

JonInMiddleGA 11-15-2016 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuervo72 (Post 3129427)
He just wanted to sell books.

+1

larrymcg421 11-15-2016 12:38 PM

Donald Trump's senior White House adviser Steve Bannon said liberal women are 'a bunch of dy**s' | The Independent

JPhillips 11-15-2016 01:20 PM

One thing I didn't think about, but the senate committees look to be 10-9 GOP. That makes every GOP member the king of the world. That could really come in to play for nominations.

JonInMiddleGA 11-15-2016 01:21 PM

See? I told you it was going to be a fun four years if nothing else.

Watching left-wing heads explode is just about as good as it gets. His calling out of the "seven sisters schools up in New England" is great stuff.

JPhillips 11-15-2016 01:52 PM

The Gallup tracking poll went from -65 before the election to +5 this week among GOP respondents on the question of is the economy getting better.

I guess America is great again.

larrymcg421 11-15-2016 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3129450)
The Gallup tracking poll went from -65 before the election to +5 this week among GOP respondents on the question of is the economy getting better.

I love it for the easy spin: "Even Republicans agree that Obama has made the economy better."

JonInMiddleGA 11-15-2016 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3129450)

Addition by subtraction basically. There isn't the expectation / fear of seeing even more imbalanced taxation, less likelihood that success will be penalized or discouraged.

JPhillips 11-15-2016 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3129454)
Addition by subtraction basically. There isn't the expectation / fear of seeing even more imbalanced taxation, less likelihood that success will be penalized or discouraged.

Yeah.

Or the number is solely a representative figure for is the president elect on your team.

JonInMiddleGA 11-15-2016 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3129456)
Yeah. Or the number is solely a representative figure for is the president elect on your team.

Not sure those two things aren't considerably linked.

SackAttack 11-15-2016 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3129454)

Ascribing exactly that reasoning to the answer, they're answering the question they want to hear ("will the economy get better?") instead of the one they were actually asked.

Being as generous as possible towards their deductive reasoning skills, that becomes entirely a WOO TEAM answer. "The Trump Recovery that's been going on the last six years is going just swell!"

The economy was in the toilet, but all of a sudden, it's not anymore! Magic at the ballot box!

Buccaneer 11-15-2016 05:02 PM

Serious question. In the age of 24-hour coverage and social media, why would the physical appearance of any candidate or even worse, the appearance of a celebrity with a candidate make any difference?

SackAttack 11-15-2016 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buccaneer (Post 3129488)
You mean like the Nobel committee awarding the peace prize based on ballot box? ;)

I get what they were going for there - 'if we give him the prize, he'll spend the next 4-8 years working to try and live up to it' - but...the Nobel Peace Prize really shouldn't be aspirational. That was goofy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buccaneer (Post 3129491)
Sack, Bush43 said he could squeeze a million votes from Texas if that mattered. I think with the 4 big states already solid colors, the other states should be more important. It's unfortunate that CA-NY-IL alone can get a candidate almost 40% of the way there nowadays.

You're kinda proving my point, though, Bucc. Right now, there IS no reason for a Republican candidate to spend much time in the GOP's "firewall" states. Aside from Georgia and Arizona, and the ever-present prospect of a purple Texas (which may never happen), most of those "firewall" states are pretty reliably double-digit states for a Republican. That includes, as I said, most of the Midwest, much of the Mountain West, and most of the South.

As far as the lament that three states get somebody almost 40% of the way to 270...population centers matter, and they'd matter either in the system we've got, or a popular vote system.

If you want to blunt the impact of population centers on Presidential elections (and I'm not sure why you would other than to grant rural areas much more disproportionate influence than they currently enjoy), what you do is keep the Electoral College but distribute Electoral Votes one per Congressional district.

And then you'd probably see the Democrats spend a half-century or more in the political wilderness as they tried to broaden their reach beyond urban populations; whether that's a bug or a feature is probably up to one's personal politics.

JonInMiddleGA 11-15-2016 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SackAttack (Post 3129475)
Ascribing exactly that reasoning to the answer, they're answering the question they want to hear ("will the economy get better?") instead of the one they were actually asked.

I have a client that has not spent one single dime on television advertising in a year. He released funds to do so on Wednesday, the day after the election.

Also, the question as asked (per gallup.com) is
Gallup tracks daily the percentage of Americans who think that economic conditions in the country as a whole are "getting better" or "getting worse."

Not "the economy" but "economic conditions". So the rationale I mentioned is perfectly valid. Attitudes & expectations are an aspect of "economic conditions".

JPhillips 11-15-2016 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleFan (Post 3129505)
I see where the liberals are confused. The EC was a compromise between the large states and the small states. It's the whole compromise thing they don't understand; unless that compromise is giving them everything they want (without having to give anything up).

Conservatives understand protecting slavery.

We can all play this game.

Dutch 11-15-2016 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleFan (Post 3129505)
I see where the liberals are confused. The EC was a compromise between the large states and the small states. It's the whole compromise thing they don't understand; unless that compromise is giving them everything they want (without having to give anything up).

Exactly right.

larrymcg421 11-15-2016 09:51 PM

Rand Paul says he will oppose Giuliani and Bolton for SOS. The GOP doesn't have big margins, so the cabinet battles could get interesting.

Edward64 11-16-2016 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larrymcg421 (Post 3129543)
Rand Paul says he will oppose Giuliani and Bolton for SOS. The GOP doesn't have big margins, so the cabinet battles could get interesting.

I think I much prefer Newt as SOS. Wonder what happened there as the was an early candidate for it.

Edward64 11-16-2016 07:31 AM

This is one thing I can support Trump on. I'm willing to pay more at the pumps and go into a recession if we achieve the goal of breaking our dependence from the oil cartels. They are building a Disney world from our oil money, our foreign policy is tied to it, and nothing would make me feel better than watching them crater.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/11/16/saudi...l-imports.html
Quote:

In a sign of the difficulties Mr Trump faces over his campaign pledges to create "complete American energy independence" from "our foes and the oil cartels", Saudi Arabia's energy minister pointedly reminded the president-elect that the U.S. "benefits more than anybody else from global free trade", adding, "energy is the lifeblood of the global economy".

JPhillips 11-16-2016 07:58 AM

Oil is a global commodity. Unless you're talking about reinstating the ban on exporting oil, there's no way for the U.S. to be free of OPEC.

Edward64 11-16-2016 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3129582)
Oil is a global commodity. Unless you're talking about reinstating the ban on exporting oil, there's no way for the U.S. to be free of OPEC.

Why do you say that? Oil shale and fracking will go a long way in independence.

Marc Vaughan 11-16-2016 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3129583)

Best way towards independence would be supporting green alternatives obviously - but hey ho, Trump has already indicated he's against any support for such things ..

JPhillips 11-16-2016 08:36 AM

Quote:

All of that will go to the highest bidder. Even if we're technically getting all our fossil fuels from the U.S., the price is still set globally and subject to global pressures.

digamma 11-16-2016 10:14 AM

Have we ever had a President openly root for a business to fail? I'm thinking of the war on the NY Times here. I'm sure there are industry wide examples (Big Tobacco maybe? Telecom break-up?), but I can't remember a single company target like the tweet storm from DJT.

Ben E Lou 11-16-2016 11:14 AM

Moved a bunch of posts about the Election. Let's try to keep the post-mortem stuff in the election thread and keep this to the Trump transition/Presidency. (Or, even better, CREATE A NEW THREAD FOR POST-MORTEM!!!!)

ISiddiqui 11-16-2016 11:21 AM

So now it seems the odds on favorite for Attorney General is Ted Cruz? I guess selling your soul netted you something, Ted.

Ben E Lou 11-16-2016 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISiddiqui (Post 3129644)
So now it seems the odds on favorite for Attorney General is Ted Cruz? I guess selling your soul netted you something, Ted.

Amazing that Trump would consider a serial liar like Lyin' Ted for such a high position, too!

nilodor 11-16-2016 11:48 AM

Quote:

They will just cost more when compared to what it costs to produce over there.

JonInMiddleGA 11-16-2016 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan (Post 3129585)
Best way towards independence would be supporting green alternatives obviously

Ah yes, those solar cars are such a reliable option.

cuervo72 11-16-2016 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben E Lou (Post 3129648)
Amazing that Trump would consider a serial liar like Lyin' Ted for such a high position, too!

Well someone has to prosecute the women getting abortions. Ted's a good fit there.

larrymcg421 11-16-2016 12:08 PM

Lindsey Graham has proposed an alternative for Cruz: SCOTUS. I read this as: Instead of AG, please put him somewhere so I don't have to look at his fucking face ever again.

RainMaker 11-16-2016 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan (Post 3129585)
Best way towards independence would be supporting green alternatives obviously - but hey ho, Trump has already indicated he's against any support for such things ..

What green alternative gives us energy independence?

Butter 11-16-2016 01:02 PM

Many green alternatives could eventually lead to a fully renewable energy society. I don't know that there is a single magic bullet, but a mix of many different sources can lead there.

Not researching it at all or remaining as climate change deniers will continue to lead to fossil fuel dependence.

Not only that, but green energy is an industry that can lead to vastly more quality jobs which aren't easily outsourced.

But it is something that takes time and money for research, not something that most governments have the stomach for.

RainMaker 11-16-2016 01:05 PM

Which green alternatives? I just hear this a lot about energy independence and vague platitudes but no one seems to really go into detail on what they are talking about.

Like I'm all for ditching and cutting back on fossil fuels. But this idea that it'll make us independent is silly.

Marc Vaughan 11-16-2016 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 3129663)
What green alternative gives us energy independence?

Pretty much any I would have thought - the reliance is on Oil, so electric cars for instance is a move away from that dependence.

Hydrogen vehicles would similarly decrease that dependence there are loads of different approaches which don't require fossil fuels.

On a domestic energy front I'd like to see more investment in solar and wind rather than potentially going back to coal as Trump seems to be interested in doing.

albionmoonlight 11-16-2016 01:14 PM

FWIW, Cruz was at his best as Texas SG. If I had to put him in one place in the government to maximize his talents and minimize his flaws, it would be as SG.

ISiddiqui 11-16-2016 01:32 PM

This debate about energy independence is strange. As pointed out, oil is a global commodity subject to global supply and demand. Are we talking price mandates?

RainMaker 11-16-2016 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan (Post 3129666)
Pretty much any I would have thought - the reliance is on Oil, so electric cars for instance is a move away from that dependence.

Hydrogen vehicles would similarly decrease that dependence there are loads of different approaches which don't require fossil fuels.

On a domestic energy front I'd like to see more investment in solar and wind rather than potentially going back to coal as Trump seems to be interested in doing.

The batteries for electric cars are primarily made in China, Japan, and South Korea. And then you shift from battling over oil to battling over rare earth minerals.

I'm all for changing things because so we aren't pumping a bunch of garbage into the atmosphere, but these changes won't make us independent of other countries. And while I think there are people standing in the way of solar and wind, a big reason why they aren't catching on is they are expensive and just suck.

RainMaker 11-16-2016 01:39 PM

I mean lets say we all switched to electric cars. What happens if China decides to slow down mining for neodymium?

ISiddiqui 11-16-2016 01:42 PM

Being "economically independent" really doesn't work if you want to be a capitalist country. Just about every since economist on Earth will tell you this. This stuff has been known for centuries, since David Ricardo came up with his theory on comparative advantage.

Yeah, countries tried autarky (economic independence) before... recently most notably in the 1930s... right before they were planning on going to war.

Butter 11-16-2016 01:46 PM

Personally, I don't believe that the point of energy independence should be 100% US sourcing for everything. It should be about finding alternatives to lessen our carbon footprint and free us from a non-renewable resource that will run out in the next century.

BishopMVP 11-16-2016 02:42 PM

Huh. So apparently when Chris Christie was AG he prosecuted the father of Jared Kushner (Ivanka's husband & the one Donald is trying to get top secret clearance for) and put him in jail for two years. So that adds a little backstory to the purge of Christie & his aides from the transition team once Trump actually started taking it seriously, and makes me think Christie's chances at a cabinet post are lower than thought.

NobodyHere 11-16-2016 02:44 PM

Crooked Christie shouldn't be near the white house anyways.

larrymcg421 11-16-2016 05:05 PM

Jas_lov 11-16-2016 06:25 PM

If Trump had picked Crooked Christie as VP back in July would he have still won? All that Bridgegate stuff came out right before the election.

larrymcg421 11-16-2016 10:15 PM

And now I present to you the Japanese internment camps argument...

For my next trick, I will down an entire bottle of whiskey.

Shkspr 11-16-2016 11:03 PM

Oh, sure, but they said the whole "forced camps" thing was bad when it was supposedly Obama and the UN behind it.

Chief Rum 11-17-2016 12:39 AM

Yea I saw that segment while on the treadmill at the gym. All I could do was shake my head at any argument that uses internment camps as precedent. Glad Kelly called him out, too.

Ben E Lou 11-17-2016 06:57 AM

So now word comes that he's looking at Nikki Haley as Secretary Of State. Put Cruz in as Attorney General to go along with that, and if the President-Elect is to be believed, we'd have a Secretary Of State who is "an embarrassment" and an Attorney General who is a serial liar.

Easy Mac 11-17-2016 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Rum (Post 3129777)
Yea I saw that segment while on the treadmill at the gym. All I could do was shake my head at any argument that uses internment camps as precedent. Glad Kelly called him out, too.

Although at the end she said she was glad to talk to him again. Maybe instead enabling these people, when you call them out on their bullshit, don't then make with the niceties. Tell them to go to hell and they're not welcome back on your show.

BYU 14 11-17-2016 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy Mac (Post 3129794)
Although at the end she said she was glad to talk to him again. Maybe instead enabling these people, when you call them out on their bullshit, don't then make with the niceties. Tell them to go to hell and they're not welcome back on your show.

^^^This please^^^

SMH how folks can sit there straight faced and use the internment camp as a precedent.