Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The 2013-2014 NFL Offseason/Coaching/Free Agency (non-draft) Thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=88133)

miami_fan 12-29-2013 06:34 AM

The 2013-2014 NFL Offseason/Coaching/Free Agency (non-draft) Thread

Houston seems to be looking at Bill O'Brien for their opening. It looks like Rex Ryan might save his job. Maybe there is hope for Schiano and Shanahan as well.

Apathetic Lurker 12-29-2013 07:11 AM

Shanahan cant coexist with Danny boy...

QuikSand 12-29-2013 07:15 AM

I think Shanahan is a really interesting case. Seems very unlikely that he stays in Washington, given the intense friction, so he's likely gone somehow. But a quick firing doesn't seem that likely either, for both cash and spite reasons.

However... I think Shanahan wants to coach in the NFL, and I think he would actually be an intriguing candidate. Kyle (son who has been OC) is also pretty intriguing, and likely gets work either way... but I'd think that someone might at least kick Shanahan's tires a bit.

BillJasper 12-29-2013 01:45 PM

Speculation swirls about Chudzinski in Cleveland | ProFootballTalk

Oh, Cleveland.

BillJasper 12-29-2013 02:20 PM

I want the Dolphins to fire Ireland and Philbin and every other coach and scout and secretary the team currently employs. :mad:

Dutch 12-29-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSand (Post 2887512)
I think Shanahan is a really interesting case. Seems very unlikely that he stays in Washington, given the intense friction, so he's likely gone somehow. But a quick firing doesn't seem that likely either, for both cash and spite reasons.

However... I think Shanahan wants to coach in the NFL, and I think he would actually be an intriguing candidate. Kyle (son who has been OC) is also pretty intriguing, and likely gets work either way... but I'd think that someone might at least kick Shanahan's tires a bit.

The Bucs, after a failed college coach attempt with Schiano will probably be on the lookout for a "veteran" NFL coach...fwiw.

And the ownership in Tampa is so much "hands-off" that you think their is a restraining order against them for participating in any league functions whatsoever (outside of cutting checks)...with the talent on the Bucs, it's probably a very close approximation to what would make Shanahan successful again, plus there are great retirement benefits here if he decides he's had enough.

Thomkal 12-29-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillJasper (Post 2887584)

That would be pretty stupid. So Cleveland likely will do it.

Bobble 12-29-2013 03:17 PM

I must have dozed off for a quick second there 'cause I had a nightmare that someone was reporting that the Lions were leaning on KEEPING Schwartz! Ha, isn't that hilarious? Oh, man, for a second there, I was scared crapless but then I realized that it must have been just a nightmare.

Dutch 12-29-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobble (Post 2887627)
I must have dozed off for a quick second there 'cause I had a nightmare that someone was reporting that the Lions were leaning on KEEPING Schwartz! Ha, isn't that hilarious? Oh, man, for a second there, I was scared crapless but then I realized that it must have been just a nightmare.

The Tampa Times is reporting that the Bucs are intent on keeping Schiano if he can't find a College Coaching gig (Penn St. please!) because they aren't interested in paying him and a new coach.

Not this crap again...we just went through this crap with Gruden/Raheem...we are a cursed organization, it seems.

BillJasper 12-29-2013 05:01 PM

Report: Browns will fire Rob Chudzinski | ProFootballTalk

Wouldn't be surprised to see Chudzinski end up as the offensive coordinator in DC. Plus, if Schiano leaves, I wouldn't be surprised to see Wannstadt elevated to head coach as a cost saving move.

NobodyHere 12-29-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobble (Post 2887627)

There there now. Pretty soon the Lions will fire Scwhartz and hire someone who sounds like they will be good but will prove to be equally incompetent.

QuikSand 12-29-2013 06:13 PM

Wow, I know it sounds tough to say this about a 4-12 team, but I really feel like the Browns would be really wise to stay the course for another year or two with this leadership. No insider knowledge at all, but that looks like a team that has the potential to put a lot of pieces together in a hurry.

OldGiants 12-29-2013 06:23 PM

It will be interesting to see which sanctimonious, sententious, washed-up old fool Danny Boy hires in DC. The only coach with a winning record during his ownership is Norv, and Danny Boy inherited him, as he did his money.

BillJasper 12-29-2013 06:39 PM

Sounds like the Browns really want to get rid of Chudzinski!

Browns considering a Sunday night meeting with Chudzinski | ProFootballTalk

Desnudo 12-29-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillJasper (Post 2887754)
Sounds like the Browns really want to get rid of Chudzinski!

Browns considering a Sunday night meeting with Chudzinski | ProFootballTalk

What exactly were they expecting from him with their current QB situation?

BillJasper 12-29-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desnudo (Post 2887760)
What exactly were they expecting from him with their current QB situation?

I'm not sure exactly? But it sounds like it was more they didn't like the way he was running the team than anything to do with wins and losses.

miami_fan 12-29-2013 06:54 PM

Maybe they told him to keep starting Weeden. You know to make sure that they ...uh... get enough tape to fairly evaluate him in the offseason.;)

Draft Dodger 12-29-2013 07:21 PM

Weedon is almost old enough to coach - why not just have him be a player coach?

miami_fan 12-29-2013 07:23 PM

The Jets owner has confirmed that Rex Ryan will return as head coach. I gotta give the man credit. I did not think he had any shot of staying.

jbergey22 12-29-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miami_fan (Post 2887790)
The Jets owner has confirmed that Rex Ryan will return as head coach. I gotta give the man credit. I did not think he had any shot of staying.

LOL! The guy can sell. Apparently, ownership is buying.

BillJasper 12-29-2013 08:47 PM

Chudzinski fired.

Solecismic 12-29-2013 08:54 PM

According to the research I did on historic head coach firing, Oakland and Minnesota will be making changes as a near certainty. Cleveland was a bit of a surprise, as first-year firings are rare. Washington and Tampa Bay are considered somewhat likely.

Matthean 12-29-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillJasper (Post 2887816)
Chudzinski fired.

Good luck to the next guy.

BillJasper 12-29-2013 09:06 PM

Praying the Black Monday clouds roll into Miami tomorrow. :lol:

Atocep 12-29-2013 09:15 PM

I would think Cleveland has someone in mind already if they're letting Chudzinski go after 1 season.

Draft Dodger 12-29-2013 09:48 PM

just for the entertainment factor, there is part of me that would like to see Snyder fire Shanahan and then refuse to pay him

mrtourette 12-30-2013 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillJasper (Post 2887762)
I'm not sure exactly? But it sounds like it was more they didn't like the way he was running the team than anything to do with wins and losses.

Yeah looking into it sounds like they were annoyed by that being used as an excuse and Chud's inability to communicate an effective way of dealing with it or planning for the future.

bhlloy 12-30-2013 02:17 AM

Is there a more effective way than "we need to get a better quarterback" when you aren't the GM of the team? What's he supposed to do, splice the four shitty QB's he was given together to make a semi-competent one?

miami_fan 12-30-2013 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atocep (Post 2887826)
I would think Cleveland has someone in mind already if they're letting Chudzinski go after 1 season.

Well, one of the options is...

Cleveland Browns head coach Rob Chudzinski fired, team announces | cleveland.com

Quote:

In addition to McDaniels and O'Brien, Jason LaCanfora of CBS Sports reported that Lions coach Jim Schwartz will be a possible candidate if he gets fired. Lombardi was instrumental in bringing Schwartz to Cleveland during the Bill Belichick years, and the two have remained close.

HomerSimpson98 12-30-2013 07:53 AM

Isnt the Cleveland owner Haslam, or something like that, the Flying J gas chain mogul who got clipped with some unethical tidings regarding rebates or something? I figured the dude would want to lay low to let that blow over, but apparently he likes headlines.

Butter 12-30-2013 08:13 AM

After the first half of the season, I just don't know how you fire the Browns coaching staff considering they were forced to play with Campbell and Weeden at QB. They are both terrible. The Browns defense was in the top 10 all season, despite being hamstrung by an offense who couldn't move the ball.

Coffee Warlord 12-30-2013 08:17 AM

Frazier's gone at Minnesota.

BillJasper 12-30-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord (Post 2887926)
Frazier's gone at Minnesota.

Doesn't seem fair to fire Frazier and keep Spielman.

Plus, didn't the Vikings say Frazier was safe for 2014 a few weeks ago?

jbergey22 12-30-2013 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillJasper (Post 2887929)
Doesn't seem fair to fire Frazier and keep Spielman.

Plus, didn't the Vikings say Frazier was safe for 2014 a few weeks ago?

Agree. Spielman should be gone as well.

I dont remember them saying that but if they did it was just propaganda as I dont think anyone around here expected him back after the 3rd week of the season. He was in trouble midway through last season.

BillJasper 12-30-2013 08:28 AM

Being a Dolphins fan, I'm envious of Vikings and Browns fans this morning. :lol:

PurdueBrad 12-30-2013 08:46 AM

Shanahan is gone according to ESPN and NFL Network.

PurdueBrad 12-30-2013 08:47 AM

Link: Washington Redskins fire Mike Shanahan - NFL.com

BillJasper 12-30-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PurdueBrad (Post 2887938)
Shanahan is gone according to ESPN and NFL Network.

I think Chudzinski will end up as the QB coach or offensive coordinator there based on his work with Cam Newton. Who ends up as the head coach is anyone's guess?

Warhammer 12-30-2013 09:09 AM

My issue with the Browns firing is how do you let a guy go after one season with the roster issues they had?

QuikSand 12-30-2013 09:13 AM

It sounds like the issues in CLE were more complicated/personal than just "not a good coach" stuff. Palace intrigue FTL.

BillJasper 12-30-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSand (Post 2887948)
It sounds like the issues in CLE were more complicated/personal than just "not a good coach" stuff. Palace intrigue FTL.

NFL Network reporting that some Browns players are calling the organization a joke. :lol:

JPhillips 12-30-2013 09:38 AM

Mike Zimmer is rumored to be on the radar for the Redskins job. I'd hate to lose him as DC, but I'd love to see the fights between he and Snyder.

Butter 12-30-2013 09:40 AM

There's no way that would end well.

BillJasper 12-30-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 2887960)
Mike Zimmer is rumored to be on the radar for the Redskins job. I'd hate to lose him as DC, but I'd love to see the fights between he and Snyder.

I think Jay Gruden will be on some teams radar as well.

QuikSand 12-30-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillJasper (Post 2887956)
NFL Network reporting that some Browns players are calling the organization a joke. :lol:

Only some of them? That might count as progress.

cougarfreak 12-30-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 2887960)

Zimmer will end up kicking Snyder's ass in the owner's box by the end of the preseason if those two get together.

rowech 12-30-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillJasper (Post 2887963)
I think Jay Gruden will be on some teams radar as well.

He won't make a good head coach.

Butter 12-30-2013 10:12 AM

I agree on Jay Gruden, rowech. However I think Zimmer would be a good head coach, but would be horrible at dealing with the front office and the media. Which would probably make him not an ideal candidate.

Matthean 12-30-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 (Post 2887969)
I agree on Jay Gruden, rowech. However I think Zimmer would be a good head coach, but would be horrible at dealing with the front office and the media. Which would probably make him not an ideal candidate.

So have him go to a smaller market team where the front office will leave him be more.

rowech 12-30-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 (Post 2887969)

I agree on Zimmer. Actually, I wish he was the Bengals coach instead of Marvin.