Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Best Chess Program (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=55864)

rowech 01-06-2007 11:37 AM

Best Chess Program

I used to be a pretty good chess player and would like to start playing again. I know yahoo has chess but everything seems to be speed chess.

Is there a good computer program out there? I know I used to have Chessmaster 3000 and it seemed good.

Is there a chess program on the DS?

DaddyTorgo 01-06-2007 02:34 PM

I too have not played in a while but fwiw I don't think chessmaster even has any notable competition in the field. the question is: do you need to pay for an AI that strong and/or a bunch of extras (opening books, recorded games, etc).

man I miss my chess-playing days. beat my dad when I was like 10 or something

rowech 01-06-2007 02:54 PM

I see chessmaster has 9000 version out now...only 10 bucks at Best Buy.

MJ4H 01-06-2007 02:55 PM

Chessmaster is very likely what you want. Lots of bells and whistles, tutorials, mini-games, etc. There are stronger programs out there (in terms of the chess game itself) but no one really needs that.

Icy 01-06-2007 03:16 PM

Fritz used to be the one used by the pros (including my uncle who was the state champion some years ago). It had a huge library of famous games to replay or analyze etc.

Icy 01-06-2007 03:20 PM

Dola, i just checked and version 10 is the last one, the website is:
http://www.chessbase.com/index.asp

Info from the wikipedia:

Fritz is a German chess program developed by Frans Morsch and Mathias Feist. Morsch and his friend Ed Schröder produced a chess program in the early 1980s. In the early '90s, the German company ChessBase asked Morsch to write the Fritz chess programs (called Knightstalker in the USA). In 1995, Fritz 3 won the computer World Championship in Hong Kong, surprisingly beating a prototype version of Deep Blue.
In 2002, a version of Fritz specifically designed for multi-processing, Deep Fritz, drew the Brains in Bahrain match against the classical World Chess Champion Vladimir Kramnik 4 - 4. In November 2003, X3D Fritz, a version of the program with a 3D interface, drew a four-game match against Garry Kasparov.
Fritz is also used in the Fritz and Chesster series of introductory chess software.
On June 23, 2005, in the ABC Times Square studios, the AI Accoona Toolbar, driven by a Fritz 9 prototype, drew against the then FIDE World Champion Rustam Kasimdzhanov. On the September 10, 2006 SSDF rating list, Fritz 9.0 placed sixth with a rating of 2811, six points below Shredder 9.0, and 113 points below #1 ranked Rybka 1.2.
On October 4, 2006, in the course of the FIDE World Chess Championship 2006 between Vladimir Kramnik and Veselin Topalov, Topalov's manager Silvio Danailov issued a press release including what it labeled "coincidence statistics" between the play of Kramnik and moves recommended by the Fritz 9 software.[1] Given Danailov's previous characterization of Kramnik's frequent bathroom visits as "strange, if not suspicious", this was widely interpreted as a tacit accusation of Kramnik cheating through the use of the Fritz software. However, the Danailov press release did not offer Topalov's own percentages for comparison. Moreover, subsequent analysis showed that, using similar statistics, one might imply that the Cuban chess legend José Raúl Capablanca cheated using Chessmaster 9000 software back in 1918 [2] - decades before the first computers were built.
On November 25, 2006 Deep Fritz began a six game match against Kramnik in Bonn. Fritz was able to win 4-2[3] but Kramnik played surprisingly weak.[4]
The latest version of the consumer product is Fritz 10.
A Pocket PC program called Pocket Fritz is actually based upon Shredder (chess), a engine written by Stefan Meyer-Kahlen.

MJ4H 01-06-2007 03:31 PM

Fritz would be stronger program I was referring to. It's overkill for a casual chess player. Most people would get far more out of chess master. If you are not already a master or you are not going to seriously study and make a run at it, stick with Chessmaster.

Bad-example 01-06-2007 03:34 PM

Fritz is probably the stronger opponent, but unless you are above master level it should make little difference.

Chessmaster is also very strong but has a more refined interface and more bells and whistles. I have owned fairly recent versions of both games and I like Chessmaster better.

rowech 01-06-2007 03:44 PM

Sounds good guys...thanks. I'm sure Chessmaster has gotten even better since I had it, say 10 years ago. It's been 15 years since I took the game seriously. Then I was playing easily every day and was one of the better high school players in Ohio. Just been an awfully long time.

jbmagic 01-06-2007 03:45 PM

Chessmaster Challenge is very good.

sterlingice 01-06-2007 04:09 PM

For the DS, I know Clubhouse Games has chess on it and you can play online. Not sure about the AI or anything. Best to ask tk about that as she has the game.

SI

kmbgolf 01-06-2007 08:06 PM

rybka is the strongest chess engine but fritz 10 has more teaching aids and u can level it to your strength

terpkristin 01-06-2007 08:16 PM

Chess on Clubhouse Games is OK. It's not overwhelmingly strong...I can beat it every now and then and I consider myself an abysmal chess player.

On that note, would Chessmaster9000 be a good purchase for me to get to improve my chess skills? All I really know is how the pieces move, I don't know anything on strategy, openings, etc. Or would a book be better (which book(s)?)? Or....any other ideas? ;)

/tk

Airhog 01-07-2007 06:51 PM

Yahoo chess is nothing but a bunch of cheaters using a engine to play for them

AgustusM 01-07-2007 06:55 PM

anyone with a suggestion to help kids learn Chess - both my 7 year old and 8 year old like to play - but they are AWFULL! watching them play is painful and I am no master myself - but they will move a pawn for no reason when they could easily take the opponents queen and similar moves.

anyway there has to be some good software to teach beginning chess - would love to hear about anyone's experience with any.

Logan 01-07-2007 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airhog (Post 1351253)
Yahoo chess is nothing but a bunch of cheaters using a engine to play for them

If true, this is one of the most disturbing comments I've ever read.

MJ4H 01-07-2007 07:09 PM

It is not far off.

MJ4H 01-07-2007 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgustusM (Post 1351258)
anyone with a suggestion to help kids learn Chess - both my 7 year old and 8 year old like to play - but they are AWFULL! watching them play is painful and I am no master myself - but they will move a pawn for no reason when they could easily take the opponents queen and similar moves.

anyway there has to be some good software to teach beginning chess - would love to hear about anyone's experience with any.

The last several versions of chess master have had some good stuff for kids and beginners. Don't think you will easily find better.

Airhog 01-08-2007 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan (Post 1351265)
If true, this is one of the most disturbing comments I've ever read.

Thats why you see a ton of people that only play blitz style chess. It is probably impossible for a human to beat a computer at speed chess.

Do a google search and you will see what I mean

rowech 01-08-2007 02:17 PM

Well, mostly because of yahoo being speed chess and the way some of the people act on there, I went with a game. Decided to go with Chessmaster 9000. 10 bucks at best buy...hard to beat the price and it seems it's about as good as anything else out there.

terpkristin 02-26-2007 07:47 PM

Bump.
Anybody play chess on a Pocket PC and/or have recommendations for a game that can also teach me?

/tk

Young Drachma 02-03-2009 09:59 PM

I just bought Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition on Steam. I wanted something different, didn't see a text sim or sports game that worked for me and having pretty much found games that work for me in every other way, I figured this would be a good way to learn the game. I played as a kid, but my dad used to win and never really showed me tactics (probably because he's not a particularly tactical player..but that's just me guessing) and so, I figure this will be a nice diversion.

DaddyTorgo 02-03-2009 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terpkristin (Post 1403721)
Bump.
Anybody play chess on a Pocket PC and/or have recommendations for a game that can also teach me?

/tk

i play on my pocket pc. i don't have a fancy program though - i just went for a freeware version that doesn't have much in the way of bells and whistles

Ryche 02-04-2009 07:35 AM

Personally I found books more useful than computer programs for learning tactics and such. They give a much better explanation of the logic behind the moves. Of course, I haven't really tried a chess program in several years, so perhaps they have improved in that aspect.

terpkristin 02-04-2009 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryche (Post 1937361)
Personally I found books more useful than computer programs for learning tactics and such. They give a much better explanation of the logic behind the moves. Of course, I haven't really tried a chess program in several years, so perhaps they have improved in that aspect.

Which book(s) would you recommend to a beginner who knows the rules but wants insight on strategy?

/tk

MJ4H 02-04-2009 08:20 AM

Winning Chess series by Yasser Seirawan (particularly Winning Chess Strategy and Winning Chess Tactics). Once you reach an intermediate level, I recommend How to Reassess Your Chess by Jeremy Silman.

Young Drachma 02-04-2009 09:20 AM

I bought a game because I wanted to see what I was doing wrong and tactics for getting myself out of jams. And I wanted something I could play over and over, those are the only games I can manage.

DaddyTorgo 02-04-2009 09:34 AM

i think books and games both have their places. books for telling you the "why" and games for letting you practice - because let's face it - who really has friends who want to sit there and practice openings or mid-game situations with you, or play enough with you so that you can practice them.

i really enjoy games for that reason.

Bad-example 02-04-2009 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ4H (Post 1937383)
Winning Chess series by Yasser Seirawan (particularly Winning Chess Strategy and Winning Chess Tactics). Once you reach an intermediate level, I recommend How to Reassess Your Chess by Jeremy Silman.

Silman is a great teacher. A couple more general book thoughts:

-Get a book on basic endgames. Something that can teach you the fundamentals will make a big difference in your playing strength.

-A general book on the openings will be fun to study and can help you decide what style of play you enjoy most.

Bad-example 02-04-2009 11:16 AM

And just for the hell of it, a chess-related murder.

Quote:

A suspect is in custody for using a sword to fatally stab a friend in Alameda, police said today.

Kelly Scott Kjersem, 40, was found dead inside an apartment at 1220 Park Avenue shortly before 9 p.m. Tuesday, said Alameda police Lt. Bill Scott.

The suspect, Joseph Wilson Groom, 62, who lives at the apartment, was found next to Kjersem, Scott said.

Groom admitted to stabbing the man during an argument and was taken into custody without incident, police said.

The two men had been drinking beer and playing chess while a female friend cooked quesadillas for them, Scott said. For some unknown reason, the men began arguing and wrestling, and Groom went into a bedroom, got a sword with a 21-inch blade and stabbed Kjersem in the stomach with it, Scott said.

Passacaglia 02-04-2009 11:28 AM

I heard a chess-related story on the news this morning, too. Two high school kids in California were playing in some All-City Chess Championship or something, and the rival schools they represented had a bet on the outcome. There were a bunch of shenanigans, finally resulting in the kidnapping of one of the players. He managed to escape and play in the match, but lost anyway. The winning player had an ugly girlfriend.

path12 02-04-2009 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ4H (Post 1937383)

Haven't read the Silman book, but can heartily second the Seirawan recommendations.

DaddyTorgo 02-04-2009 01:20 PM

i think i first learned the basics out of a seirawan book fwiw

path12 02-04-2009 02:23 PM

I played him once in one of those exhibitions where he goes against 20 people at the same time. Kicked my ass, but seemed like a decent guy.

Haven't played for years. This thread is inspiring me.

Passacaglia 02-04-2009 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Passacaglia (Post 1937570)
I heard a chess-related story on the news this morning, too. Two high school kids in California were playing in some All-City Chess Championship or something, and the rival schools they represented had a bet on the outcome. There were a bunch of shenanigans, finally resulting in the kidnapping of one of the players. He managed to escape and play in the match, but lost anyway. The winning player had an ugly girlfriend.

FOFC has disappointed me -- I guess no one watched Saved by the Bell this morning?

Vegas Vic 12-24-2021 12:41 PM

I wonder if many people actually pay for commercial chess programs anymore? The two strongest chess engines in the world, Stockfish and Leela Chess Zero are open-source freeware programs that can be played on just about any free GUI such as Arena. Their current ELO's are over 3800. They destroy the few remaining commercial programs like Fritz.

Stockfish 14 - Stockfish - Open Source Chess Engine

Leela Chess Zero

QuikSand 12-25-2021 08:55 AM

drat, this obvious spammer account was set up years ago and is therefore immune to my "one click ban and clean" button, sorry guys