Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Combine Scores (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=98213)

bk1020 05-02-2022 10:30 AM

Combine Scores

Since the combine scores are permanently on the player cards, I'm wondering is there any references as to how to read those?

How much does say size matter for instance?

Or is it just all about the bars?

Is my 6-2 298 OT with say bars of 80 all round, really better than a 6-7 340 guy with 65 bars all around who can bench press more?

The combine numbers never used to stay on the player card before FOF8, trying to figure out if that means anything or not.

Dawgfan19 05-03-2022 09:41 AM

The in-game help (offensive and defensive PDFs to be specific) provides this information re: weight and height. Refer to the PDFs to understand the weight guidance by position. Similar to many adjustments made by FOF, the performance impact of outlier players likely occurs as a small modifier to the basic result. The degree to how that happens would be speculation.

I tend to pay more attention to weight guidelines on the defense. Also, and antidotally, shorter QBs (even those who appear to be studs) seem to not perform as expected. I prefer QBs 6’ 2” or taller and won’t have a QB shorter than 6’ 0” on my roster. Jim does give us a hint that short QBs can struggle.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In Front Office Football, a player’s performance is reduced by the difference between that player’s weight and the ideal weight for the position he is playing on that particular play.

For some positions, height matters. Quarterbacks ideally can see over the rushing defensive linemen. Height matters more for quarterbacks than for any other position, but a quarterback’s weight does not matter. Wide receivers and tight ends can better compete for thrown balls if they’re taller.

For some positions, height matters. For defensive backs, the taller you are, the more likely you’re able to successfully cover receivers. For defensive linemen – especially linemen in a 34 defense expected to handle two gaps – if you’re too short, you will have trouble seeing over offensive linemen and making a good choice as to how to handle the block.

finkellll 07-11-2022 09:32 PM

The combine scores on veterans are more of a loose prediction of what will happen to their bars during preseason. The combines update at season rollover and the bars update after preseason2.

I think there is a "veteran combine" page in the docs that talks about how they exist since we can't watch film.

Short answer, for veterans always go with the bars, you can ignore combines except right at the beginning of the year if you suspect that 34 year old will fall off a cliff.

QuikSand 07-12-2022 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finkellll (Post 3372104)
Short answer, for veterans always go with the bars, you can ignore combines except right at the beginning of the year if you suspect that 34 year old will fall off a cliff.

...if you're watching veteran players' combine changes like this, you're already too late. It seems clear that abrupt combine changes at this stage are a trailing, not leading, indicator. They're just affirming what happened the year before.