Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Neat iPhone apps (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=73454)

DanGarion 06-22-2010 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marmel (Post 2305911)
Here is an odd question.

How do you un-jailbreak your iphone?

Just update it or restore it, that does the trick.

samifan24 06-22-2010 01:30 PM

It took all night but I've finally got iOS 4 running on my 3G.

Ksyrup 07-02-2010 07:38 AM

Not sure this qualifies as an "app," but...

Doug5984 07-02-2010 09:13 AM

I had ordered the iphone 4, it wasn't shipping until July 20th, I canceled my order until I learn more about the holding it "wrong" (I'm left handed, every call I make I hold the phone like that.)

MJ4H 07-02-2010 08:54 PM

Someone challenge me in Words with Friends. My name is pwatts14. Make sure and tell me who the hell you are if you do, too.

MJ4H 07-02-2010 08:56 PM

By the way, Team Viewer freaking rules. Don't know if it was mentioned anywhere else in this thread, but it lets you view and control your computer from your iphone/touch.

(and it's free)

Neuqua 07-02-2010 11:21 PM

I love Words With Friends.

Neuqua 07-02-2010 11:22 PM

Btw, MJ, I can't find a user with that name. Find me instead, "Neuqua".

MJ4H 07-02-2010 11:28 PM

Done.

JS19 07-03-2010 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug5984 (Post 2312636)
I had ordered the iphone 4, it wasn't shipping until July 20th, I canceled my order until I learn more about the holding it "wrong" (I'm left handed, every call I make I hold the phone like that.)

For what it's worth, I haven't had any sort of problem with mine. I'm a righty, though.

MJ4H 07-04-2010 11:56 AM

How about Chess with Friends? Anyone play that? Start a game with me. I'm MJ4H. If not, get it. I haven't played chess seriously in a few years, but I used to be pretty stout.

MJ4H 07-04-2010 12:13 PM

By the way, I am MJ4H on both words with friends and chess with friends.

kingfc22 07-04-2010 07:31 PM

kingfc22 in words with friends if anybody wants to play

dervack 07-04-2010 08:49 PM

mdvorak on words with friends, but I'm not very smart.

Peregrine 07-05-2010 09:37 AM

I just picked up my iPad this weekend and have really been enjoying trying out various apps for it - Civilization Revolution is probably my favorite, but I also like Tap Tap Radiation and the Marvel and DC Comics apps. Looking forward to seeing more stuff rolled out for this platform - maybe one day a text sim?

samifan24 07-05-2010 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peregrine (Post 2314093)
I just picked up my iPad this weekend and have really been enjoying trying out various apps for it - Civilization Revolution is probably my favorite, but I also like Tap Tap Radiation and the Marvel and DC Comics apps. Looking forward to seeing more stuff rolled out for this platform - maybe one day a text sim?

FM and Championship Manager are both available for the iPhone although neither have been optimized for the iPad yet and I'm not sure what the text would look like at 2x normal size. Still, you download the FM Handheld demo and see what it looks like on the iPad.

Maple Leafs 07-19-2010 12:53 PM

Anyone know if any old-school computer or coin-op games that are available as cheap/free apps?

Seems like it would be a good market for those sort of games, but I can't find many. I did see Arkanoid, which works pretty well, but there must be others.

Marmel 07-19-2010 01:14 PM

I picked up a free app this weekend called "Coin Dozer"
It is pretty much one of those games at an arcade or at Dave & Buster's where you drop tokens in and the little levers push them forward and for every token that drops in the bin you win tickets.

Strangely, I am addicted to dropping those little tokens now, and the price can't be beat! There is no point to the game really, other than collect little prizes that give you extra boosts.

DanGarion 07-19-2010 01:16 PM

My #1 iPhone App was getting this new program called Android. Maybe you have heard of it, it's so awesome.

Doug5984 07-19-2010 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marmel (Post 2322143)
I picked up a free app this weekend called "Coin Dozer"
It is pretty much one of those games at an arcade or at Dave & Buster's where you drop tokens in and the little levers push them forward and for every token that drops in the bin you win tickets.

Strangely, I am addicted to dropping those little tokens now, and the price can't be beat! There is no point to the game really, other than collect little prizes that give you extra boosts.

My girlfriend plays that all the time- and has been for well over a month now. I played for a while, but I just don't get it?

Marmel 07-19-2010 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug5984 (Post 2322150)
My girlfriend plays that all the time- and has been for well over a month now. I played for a while, but I just don't get it?

I know, there is nothing to get. It is just mindless entertainment. I have to get that next bonus coin to fall though! I am sure I will be bored in a week or two, but in the meantime...

Maple Leafs 07-19-2010 02:32 PM

I think I posted this somewhere before, but if you're an old-time sports game geek (like me) you should know that there's an Earl Weaver Baseball app that includes several new downloadable rosters. Search for EWB.

terpkristin 07-19-2010 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maple Leafs (Post 2322135)
Anyone know if any old-school computer or coin-op games that are available as cheap/free apps?

Seems like it would be a good market for those sort of games, but I can't find many. I did see Arkanoid, which works pretty well, but there must be others.

May not fit the bill but Wild West Pinball is pretty fun, it's 99 cents. Then again, I like pinball.

/tk

Marc Vaughan 07-19-2010 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samifan24 (Post 2314130)
FM and Championship Manager are both available for the iPhone although neither have been optimized for the iPad yet and I'm not sure what the text would look like at 2x normal size. Still, you download the FM Handheld demo and see what it looks like on the iPad.

FMH was tested on the iPad and works fine, resized it still looks clear and readable without any issues at all (tbh I do a lot of my dev and testing on my iPad these days simply because its easier to 'stab' while idly placed beside my mac when developing new pages).

There's a 'photo' of the game running on my iPad somewhere in the depths of the SI forums but tbh it'd be easier for you to download the 'Lite' version and try it out and see what you think to it.

(I haven't tried CM iPhone on my iPad- but I'd expect it probably works also, most apps do)

Mizzou B-ball fan 07-19-2010 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maple Leafs (Post 2322194)
I think I posted this somewhere before, but if you're an old-time sports game geek (like me) you should know that there's an Earl Weaver Baseball app that includes several new downloadable rosters. Search for EWB.

Some mixed feedback on that app. Are the bugs cleared up?

Maple Leafs 07-19-2010 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2322221)
Some mixed feedback on that app. Are the bugs cleared up?

Not sure what bug they're referring to, but I haven't seen anything major. Some occasional crashes, but I get that with every app.

Marc Vaughan 07-19-2010 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maple Leafs (Post 2322238)
Not sure what bug they're referring to, but I haven't seen anything major. Some occasional crashes, but I get that with every app.

In case you aren't aware - the main cause of crashes is people not rebooting their devices (pretty much ever) or in the case of iOS4 never closing application.

Many people think that pressing the 'off' button turns the device off, it doesn't it just suspends it - to reboot it fully hold down the 'off' button for a couple of seconds until the 'swipe to power off' message appear. If you do that and then swipe it will fully power off the device which also resets any fragmented memory (which is the cause of most crashes).

For iOS4 closing apps fully please refer to:
iOS4 - How to close applications fully

PS - Sorry if I'm teaching grandma to suck eggs (ie. pointing out the obvious) - but I've been surprised at how many iDevice users aren't aware of these ...

terpkristin 07-19-2010 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan (Post 2322259)
In case you aren't aware - the main cause of crashes is people not rebooting their devices (pretty much ever)

Never knew about this. Thanks for the tip.

/tk

Maple Leafs 07-19-2010 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan (Post 2322259)
If you do that and then swipe it will fully power off the device which also resets any fragmented memory (which is the cause of most crashes).

Yeah, but then I have to wait like nine seconds for it to boot back up. I gew up in the 80s, I don't have that sort of attention span.

samifan24 07-19-2010 10:17 PM

Random question but hopefully someone can help me.

I am running iOS4 on my iPhone 3G. I know I can't do multitasking BUT since upgrading to iOS4 I can't do anything while on a call except be on a call. I can't check email, I can't send a text, I can't do anything.

Simply put, when on a call and I hit the home button, the phone simply doesn't respond. The on-screen buttons allow me to use speakerphone and so forth but the home button is unresponsive. I searched Google and was unable to find an explanation. This issue must be related to iOS4 because I never saw it in two years of owning the phone until I "upgraded" to iOS4.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Any ideas on how to fix this aside from downgrading to iOS3?

DanGarion 07-19-2010 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maple Leafs (Post 2322367)
Yeah, but then I have to wait like nine seconds for it to boot back up. I gew up in the 80s, I don't have that sort of attention span.

An iPhone take 9 seconds to boot up, please, mine took about 2 minutes. Glad I never had an emergency or I would have been dead.

DanGarion 07-19-2010 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samifan24 (Post 2322394)
Random question but hopefully someone can help me.

I am running iOS4 on my iPhone 3G. I know I can't do multitasking BUT since upgrading to iOS4 I can't do anything while on a call except be on a call. I can't check email, I can't send a text, I can't do anything.

Simply put, when on a call and I hit the home button, the phone simply doesn't respond. The on-screen buttons allow me to use speakerphone and so forth but the home button is unresponsive. I searched Google and was unable to find an explanation. This issue must be related to iOS4 because I never saw it in two years of owning the phone until I "upgraded" to iOS4.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Any ideas on how to fix this aside from downgrading to iOS3?

Sounds like the problems I ran into with iOS4.

Groundhog 07-19-2010 11:17 PM

I'm probably going to revert my iphone 3G back to pre-iOS4. Someone e-mailed me instructions a few weeks ago. Seriously, my phone runs twice as slow now. I never had to reboot my iphone before I installed this bloated OS.

Peregrine 07-26-2010 10:09 AM

I've really gotten hooked on the Carcassone app recently - I can't wait till they come out with the iPad version because right now it looks a bit grainy played at 2 times the iPhone size, but still a very good game.

Doug5984 07-26-2010 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groundhog (Post 2322416)
I'm probably going to revert my iphone 3G back to pre-iOS4. Someone e-mailed me instructions a few weeks ago. Seriously, my phone runs twice as slow now. I never had to reboot my iphone before I installed this bloated OS.

Can you send me that email, I'll need to do the same... It's horribly slow.

Peregrine 07-26-2010 10:35 AM

Two friends at work reported the same thing with their 3Gs being horribly slow after the iOS4 "upgrade." I have the 3GS which hasn't had any problems, luckily.

INDalltheway 07-27-2010 10:32 PM

TeamViewer for the iPhone is pretty sick. It's a FREE remote desktop app that works incredibly well.

MJ4H 07-27-2010 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ4H (Post 2313191)
By the way, Team Viewer freaking rules. Don't know if it was mentioned anywhere else in this thread, but it lets you view and control your computer from your iphone/touch.

(and it's free)

I know right!

:)

Seriously though, it is sweet.

mtolson 07-28-2010 12:38 AM

Hey Neuqua and MJ4H, just started a Words with Friends game with each of you. I'm RaiderFan85.

Peregrine 07-28-2010 07:35 AM

My Words with Friends username is Peregrine Falcon - sent an invite to you mtolson.

terpkristin 07-28-2010 06:11 PM

I just joined Words with Friends. Only caveat is that during work hours, I can't usually play since I rarely have wireless internet access. User name is terpkristin (I know, SHOCKING). Expect moves before 7 a.m. ET or after 6 p.m. ET. :)

/tk

Vince, Pt. II 07-28-2010 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peregrine (Post 2325667)
Two friends at work reported the same thing with their 3Gs being horribly slow after the iOS4 "upgrade." I have the 3GS which hasn't had any problems, luckily.

To the people that are running slow - have you gotten used to the "multitasking" interface yet? Now whenever you hit the home button to stop using a program, it leaves it running in the background. If you double-tap the home button, it'll give you a list of what's running, and you can shut things down from there. I've found that as long as I manage which apps are open at what time, I keep the slowdown to a minimum.

Doug5984 07-28-2010 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II (Post 2326836)
To the people that are running slow - have you gotten used to the "multitasking" interface yet? Now whenever you hit the home button to stop using a program, it leaves it running in the background. If you double-tap the home button, it'll give you a list of what's running, and you can shut things down from there. I've found that as long as I manage which apps are open at what time, I keep the slowdown to a minimum.

Mine is a 3g, so no multitasking for me.

bhlloy 07-28-2010 07:13 PM

Yeah once I learned that it's been just about OK, although still slower than pre OS4. At least now I can get more than an 8 hour day out of my battery

Pyser 07-28-2010 08:08 PM

who posted about the hr derby game?

you are ruining my life

terpkristin 07-28-2010 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyser (Post 2326867)
who posted about the hr derby game?

you are ruining my life

I think a fair few of us mentioned it. :) Yeah, that's a dangerous game. :D

/tk

samifan24 07-28-2010 09:19 PM

Good news, 3G owners: the WSJ reports that Apple is now "looking into" the reports about iOS 4 grinding the 3G to a halt.

Lathum 07-29-2010 06:10 AM

Just discovered Angry Birds

Lathum 07-29-2010 06:10 AM

dola- Has anyone tried the Risk game? Any good?

terpkristin 07-29-2010 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 2326976)
dola- Has anyone tried the Risk game? Any good?

Haven't tried it but read a review recently either on The Unofficial Apple Weblog or Touch Arcade that basically said that there are free/cheaper alternatives out there that are better. Will see if I can find the review.

/tk