Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Rate The Last Movie You Watched (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=41713)

Solecismic 08-24-2005 12:57 PM

In theaters: A Few Good Men (can't remember whether I liked it, I'm currently in year 14 of my boycott of movie theaters).

On cable: Freaky Friday (6.5/10). Silly concept, but well acted, and LL pre-whatever is very hot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeeberD
Shaun of the Dead - 6/10

There are some very funny moment, but too damn often I couldn't understand a word of what was being said...

Saw that one last week. You really need to turn captioning on. I've started doing this for pretty much all movies, and it makes a huge difference. Anyhow, it's not bad, but probably a little overrated.

John Travolta 08-24-2005 01:22 PM

Pulp Fiction.

rkmsuf 08-24-2005 01:23 PM

Nothing is better than Travolta day.

John Travolta 08-24-2005 01:23 PM

Ayyyy! Mister Kot-ter!!

JeeberD 08-24-2005 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solecismic
You really need to turn captioning on. I've started doing this for pretty much all movies, and it makes a huge difference. Anyhow, it's not bad, but probably a little overrated.

My fiancee' and I joked about turning closed captioning on but never did it. Probably would have helped us to understand the fat dude...

Easy Mac 08-24-2005 01:24 PM

Theaters: Wedding Crashers (7/10) Great first 2/3, completely fell apart at the end.
DVD/XVid: Gerry (6.0/10). Interesting concept and beautifully shot. Had some long boring stretches but a compelling story.

Subby 08-24-2005 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shorty3281
Tell me you're joking

I wish I was. Singelton couldn't possibly be more self-indulgent. What a waste of what could have been a great film-making career...

TheOhioStateUniversity 08-24-2005 01:29 PM

Theatre: Four Brothers 8/10

Home DVD: Taxi Driver (didnt really get the hype) 6/10

cthomer5000 08-24-2005 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
The Grudge: 3/10. It was predictable and wasn't scary. Not good for a horror movie.

The movie couldn't have made less sense or had less of a story. I was seriously disappointed with it, and would grade it similarly.

sabotai 08-24-2005 11:01 PM

Wedding Crashers - 8/10. Great first 2/3rds, dragged at the end with a semi-save by Will Ferrell.

Sublime 2 08-25-2005 12:39 AM

Theatre: Dukes of Hazzard - 7/10, was expecting virtually nothing, but came away with enough laughs to make it semi-worth it.

TV: Deep Rising - 2/10

Pumpy Tudors 08-25-2005 12:57 AM

Theatre: Um. I think the last movie I saw in the theatre was The Matrix Revolutions. I haven't seen the first two in the series, and I know about how the first one is supposed to be so great or whatever. Still, I'm not interested. My wife wanted to go see the last one, and I reluctantly went with her. Considering that I didn't know anything about the story, I don't think I can rate it effectively. If I had to rate it, I'd give it a 4/10. The last movie I saw in the theatre before THAT was The Tuxedo, and I'd give that a 5/10.

TV: Bruce Almighty, I think. That was at least two months ago. I'd give it a 7.5/10. If we can count Richard Pryor Live on the Sunset Strip (that was really the last "movie" I watched), I'm gonna say 8.5/10 for that one.

Obviously, I don't watch a lot of movies.

VPI97 08-25-2005 01:29 AM

Alexander: -2/10

Quite possibly the worst movie I have seen in over a decade.

moriarty 08-26-2005 07:45 AM

Just saw "Old Boy" .... 8.8 out of 10.

Not sure if this has been listed, but it's a Korean film (avoid if you can't handle dubs/subtitles). The basic premise is this guy is taken off the streets and imprisoned for 15 years. He has no idea why he was imprisioned or why he was released after 15 years ... but he has 5 days to find out.

Very stylish for an asian film ... for any film for that matter, with an ending that will have you talking as much as the first time you saw "Seven". Definitely check this one out.

korme 08-26-2005 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moriarty

Not sure if this has been listed, but it's a Korean film (avoid if you can't handle dubs/subtitles). The basic premise is this guy is taken off the streets and imprisoned for 15 years. He has no idea why he was imprisioned or why he was released after 15 years ... but he has 5 days to find out.

Very stylish for an asian film ... for any film for that matter, with an ending that will have you talking as much as the first time you saw "Seven". Definitely check this one out.

I've heard alot about this on another board. I am kinda intrigued, could I find it at somewhere like a Blockbuster?

timmynausea 08-26-2005 01:57 PM

Ghost Dog: The way of the Samurai - 8/10

Raven 08-26-2005 02:18 PM

Mr. 3000 - 4/10

I love Bernie Mac, but his comedy didn't excel in this movie. Plus, you'd think they could have found someone a little more athletic to play the part. Even if he was supposed to be 47, an ex-ML player would still look athletic. It was at least watchable though.

purplepee 08-26-2005 02:22 PM

A Tale of Two Sisters 9/10

3 days later my girlfriend and I are still talking and thinking about it. A very creepy little Korean film.

Kodos 08-26-2005 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cthomer5000
The movie couldn't have made less sense or had less of a story. I was seriously disappointed with it, and would grade it similarly.

Not to mention the ripping off of The Ring's style.

timmynausea 08-26-2005 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purplepee
A Tale of Two Sisters 9/10

3 days later my girlfriend and I are still talking and thinking about it. A very creepy little Korean film.

That was a good one. I'm with you on the 9/10

korme 08-27-2005 01:07 AM

Million Dollar Baby - 9/10

Very good story.

RebelMan 08-27-2005 06:20 AM

Theaters: The Great Raid - 9.1/10

Home: Die Hard with a Vengeance - 8.9/10

moriarty 08-27-2005 08:35 AM

Quote:

I've heard alot about this on another board. I am kinda intrigued, could I find it at somewhere like a Blockbuster?

Should be able to. It just came out in US release last week. Might have to look in the foreign section though.

duckman 08-27-2005 11:05 AM

The Ring 2: 7/10

No where near as scary as the first one, but the special effects were pretty good.

ThunderingHERD 08-27-2005 05:38 PM

Quote:

Ugh. I passionately hated this piece of shit.

MikeVic 08-27-2005 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThunderingHERD
Ugh. I passionately hated this piece of shit.

I found it very good. I'm just curious to know what you hated about it? I thought the story was told well, the ending was just crazy, and I liked the concept.

ThunderingHERD 08-27-2005 06:12 PM

The entire premise (and especially the ending) was absurd. Otherwise a very ugly, nihilistic movie stylized to the point of goofiness.

Raiders Army 08-27-2005 06:19 PM

The Jacket. Good movie and very surprising. I was expecting a thriller or a horror movie...and it wasn't.

Eaglesfan27 08-30-2005 12:56 AM

The Skeleton Key - It gets 1 point for having New Orleans and the surrounding area. 2 points for Kate Hudson who looked particularly good in this movie. 1 point for the plot that was too predictable and not nearly as scary as it was supposed to be.

I give it a 4/10.

Mrs. Eaglesfan gives it a 5/10.

korme 08-30-2005 01:20 AM

Ray 8/10 - Didn't know he did hardcore drugs and slept around, that was pretty surprising. Great performance by Jamie Foxx.

panerd 08-30-2005 07:06 AM

Just saw Oldboy based on this thread. While the movie probably lost a little with the dubbing and some of the parts kind of dragged, I have to agree the ending is like no other I have ever seen in a movie. Without spoiling any of the move I just wanted to add that this is what American cinema could be like if this country wasn't so scared about offending somebody or making Rush Hour 7.

Honolulu_Blue 08-30-2005 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panerd
I just wanted to add that this is what American cinema could be like if this country wasn't so scared about ... making Rush Hour 7.

Why would "this country" be scared of making Rush Hour 7? Other than the obvious questions of "what happened in Rush Hours 3-6?" and "How in the hell are we going to afford Chris Tucker's salary?", I don't see why this country would be afraid of making this film.

I kinda like Rush Hours 1-2 and would happy to see another sequel, though I am not sure if they could pull off 5 more. The formula may get a little tired by then.

moriarty 08-30-2005 07:31 AM

Just saw "Kung Fu Hustle" ... and I didn't like it 4/10.

I know some people really liked this so I tried to get into it, but it wasn't my cup of tea. Maybe I went into it with the wrong expectations, but I didn't find it that funny and the story was rather goofy.

korme 08-31-2005 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Why would "this country" be scared of making Rush Hour 7? Other than the obvious questions of "what happened in Rush Hours 3-6?" and "How in the hell are we going to afford Chris Tucker's salary?", I don't see why this country would be afraid of making this film.

I kinda like Rush Hours 1-2 and would happy to see another sequel, though I am not sure if they could pull off 5 more. The formula may get a little tired by then.

If I were a gambling man, I'd venture to say he probably missed a word like "concerned", as in concerned with making a movie like Rush Hour 7.

ThunderingHERD 08-31-2005 01:42 AM

I would much rather see another Rush Hour than another movie that thinks the depiction of sadism is an end in itself.

Eaglesfan27 08-31-2005 01:54 PM

We saw 40 year old virgin yesterday. I thought it was funny and give it a 7/10. Mrs. Eaglesfan found only a few parts mildly funny and gives it a 3/10.

TazFTW 09-01-2005 12:07 AM

Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386064/

8/10, strong stuff.

Saw Cellular and Paparazzi last week. Cellular would get a 5/10 and Paparazzi gets a 5.5/10.

JeeberD 09-01-2005 12:11 AM

The Aviator: 6/10

Kinda dragged, and Cate Blanchett as Katharine Hepburn just annoyed the hell out of me...

Honolulu_Blue 09-01-2005 06:52 AM

Quote:

If I were a gambling man, I'd venture to say he probably missed a word like "concerned", as in concerned with making a movie like Rush Hour 7.

I know. I just thought I'd take the omission and run with it, because I find the idea of America being afraid of making "Rush Hour 7" pretty funny.

Eaglesfan27 09-01-2005 11:24 PM

I have to be careful to seperate my review today and for the next few days from my happiness at finding a movie theater that shows decent (not too old) movies for 1 dollar/person with a decent movie atmosphere. To top it off, the theater is right next to the hotel I'm staying at.

Anyway, the majority ruled and we went and watched Madagascar tonight. Chris Rock was funny and saved the movie to an extent, but it was still just average at best. 5/10 for me. Mrs. Eaglesfan enjoyed it and gives it either a "6 or a 7 out of 10."

timmynausea 09-08-2005 02:18 AM

DVD - Old Boy - 7.7/10
It probably isn't quite deserving of some of the hype it has gotten, but on the whole I enjoyed it. I can see what ThunderingHerd meant about it being stylized to the point of ridiculousness. It is a bit silly in some respects.

ThunderingHERD 09-08-2005 02:32 AM

Bought The Machinist DVD used the other day. Watched it last night.

Was more or less expecting another poor post-Kaiser-Soze mindfuck attempt, but wanted to see it anyway cause of Christian Bale. I came away from it pleasantly surprised. The ending is rather predictable but doesn't pretend that it isn't. Somehow manages to be very intense and suspenseful even though we more or less know what the deal is. 8/10

JeeberD 09-08-2005 08:25 AM

Alexander - 2/10

Pure crap.

moriarty 09-08-2005 09:25 AM

Saw Sahara 6/10. Mindless, dumb entertainment (never having read Clusser's books, are his plots always this bad or did it not translate to a movie well?).

Having said that it was one of those have a few beers, turn off the brain, and enjoy movies. Definitely not an Indiana Jones though.

Draft Dodger 09-08-2005 09:36 AM

Quote:

Saw Sahara 6/10. Mindless, dumb entertainment (never having read Clusser's books, are his plots always this bad or did it not translate to a movie well?).

Having said that it was one of those have a few beers, turn off the brain, and enjoy movies. Definitely not an Indiana Jones though.

just came here to post about this very movie. I'd probably give it a 7, mostly because I had low, low expectations. and for Steve Zahn...he was pretty cool.

Cussler is fun...but his books can be pretty cheesy (in many ways like the flick - enjoyable if you don't look for much depth). Sahara the book is pretty silly from what I remember, but not quite as ludacrous (ping St Cronin) as some of the stuff in the movie.

didn't like Penelope Cruz and didn't like William H Macy as Sandecker. neutral to McConnaghey, liked Zahn and Rainn Wilson.

Ksyrup 09-08-2005 09:42 AM

The last movie I saw at a theater that wasn't solely for the kids (Nemo, etc., which I wouldn't go see unless I had a kid) was Me, Myself and Irene, which wasn't very good, and I only went because two events coincided - some friends were visiting from out of town and my wife took the kid out of town. What year was that movie? Like 2000 maybe?

The last movie I saw at home was Team America World Police, which I thought was great. I recall seeing Ladder 49 a few months before that, too, which is one of those movies with an ending I don't get. That kind of shit just doesn't "entertain" me in the least. Must be why I prefer music over movies.

moriarty 09-08-2005 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
just came here to post about this very movie. I'd probably give it a 7, mostly because I had low, low expectations. and for Steve Zahn...he was pretty cool.

Cussler is fun...but his books can be pretty cheesy (in many ways like the flick - enjoyable if you don't look for much depth). Sahara the book is pretty silly from what I remember, but not quite as ludacrous (ping St Cronin) as some of the stuff in the movie.

didn't like Penelope Cruz and didn't like William H Macy as Sandecker. neutral to McConnaghey, liked Zahn and Rainn Wilson.

Agreed on Zahn, he was the most enjoyable part of the movie, and I was neutral on McConnaghey as well ... he has a fun, but not too serious swagger. I like Macy in pretty much everything ... but yeah, Penelope was a bad choice (other than visual appeal).

pennywisesb 09-08-2005 10:54 AM

I finally got to see Wedding Crashers this past weekend and thought it was hilarious. Plus, I have this strange fascination with boobies and there were plenty of those ;)

tucker342 09-08-2005 01:28 PM

40 year-old virgin

One of the funniest movies I've ever seen.:D

duckman 09-15-2005 10:35 PM

Alien vs. Predator

6/10