Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Louie Season 5 on FX 10:30pm Thursdays. (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=84361)

stevew 06-28-2012 02:03 AM

Louie Season 5 on FX 10:30pm Thursdays.

This show is very hard to compare to anything else. Basically each episode is a 10-15 minute short film, usually with a comedy interstitial or two cut in. Both seasons are on Netflix. I'd probably recommend the episodes "Bummer/Blueberries, " "Subway/Pamela, "Oh, Louie/Tickets," "New Jersey/Airports" and/or "Eddie" from season 2 if you want to get a feel for the show. Basically, not much carries over from episode to episode.

Really good article by Sepinwall
Review: FXs Louie still unpredictable, and brilliant, in season 3

BS Report featuring Louis CK
iTunes - Podcasts - ESPN: The B.S. Report with Bill Simmons by ESPN

Julio Riddols 06-28-2012 08:34 AM

It's a show written, performed and produced by Louis C.K., so its pretty much not possible for the show to be bad.

thesloppy 06-28-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julio Riddols (Post 2680115)
It's a show written, performed and produced by Louis C.K., so its pretty much not possible for the show to be bad.

"Lucky Louie" would like a word with you.

Radii 07-26-2012 11:14 PM

More people need to be watching this and talking about this! Though unlike more serialized shows a lot of times after an episode I don't really know what to talk about other than to say "well that just happened on my TV". I just find myself fascinated after every episode.

Parker Posey was amazing these last two episodes. Of course this is how his date would go. Of course it would be the most fucked up thing ever, but in some weird way completely endearing and wonderful and scary and weird all at the same time.

stevew 07-26-2012 11:41 PM

The Melissa Leo episode was great. I've enjoyed this season a ton...can wait to see how the episode plays out tonight.

I finally saw Airport/New Jersey a few weeks ago...that was amazing. Steven Wright, F Murray Abraham and Chris Rock.

As far as the black ex wife thing goes, I think it's reasonable the older daughter could be mixed. But I suppose Louie doesn't actually care.

The younger daughter gets some amazing lines and just crushes. It was some episode with a mango pop where she was like "I like mommy better" and it was brutally hilarious.

Radii 07-27-2012 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 2693915)
The Melissa Leo episode was great. I've enjoyed this season a ton...can wait to see how the episode plays out tonight.

God the Melissa Leo episode is one of the most fucked up things I've ever seen. I wasn't sure what I felt about it while I was watching it but the ending... "you wanna go out again, don't ya?" ... "yeah sure" ... had me laughing as hard as I've laughed at anything on the show.

Quote:

I finally saw Airport/New Jersey a few weeks ago...that was amazing. Steven Wright, F Murray Abraham and Chris Rock.

That was the last episode with Pamela right? The ending at the airport is perfect Louie, you want to laugh and cry at it at the same time.

Quote:

As far as the black ex wife thing goes, I think it's reasonable the older daughter could be mixed. But I suppose Louie doesn't actually care.

I read an interview where he said he didn't care about that at all, she was just the best actress for what he wanted to do with it. I have a few friends that discuss the show weekly and the consensus is the feeling that he surely cast someone of a different race on purpose, but we disagree on the reasons. My theory was that he pulls so much from his real life experiences that it would make sense to make sure his ex wife is visually drastically different from his actual ex-wife to draw a line between them, I'm not sure that even makes sense now though. /shrug, if it were the first season I think it would have bugged me or at least seemed stupid. By now though I'm completely all in and along for the ride and I just want to see whatever is in Louis CK's head, no matter how absurd it may be.

Quote:

The younger daughter gets some amazing lines and just crushes. It was some episode with a mango pop where she was like "I like mommy better" and it was brutally hilarious.

Who wouldn't let the gorilla into the ballet? :D

stevew 07-27-2012 12:44 AM

I think my most favorite moment was how that one whole episode was just a set up for the Brazil Nut(aka Monday toes) joke. Never saw it coming. It was wildly inappropriate and funny as fucking hell.

B & B 07-27-2012 11:41 AM

Started recording this show a few weeks ago and every time I get around to watching one, it seems like its over in half the time another 30 min show would be.

thats a good thing.

stevew 07-27-2012 02:45 PM

Great episode.

I wish I could teach my TiVo to autoskip every time Russell Brand pops up in a commercial though. Not sure who that guy's target audience is.

Julio Riddols 07-27-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesloppy (Post 2680183)
"Lucky Louie" would like a word with you.

I thought Lucky Louie was excellent. This show feels very much the same, just more polished. Same with his career. He was telling a lot of the same jokes he got popular with when he was younger, but his delivery is just constantly getting better. A real study in honing your craft.

Radii 08-02-2012 11:16 PM

I'm assuming we don't need spoiler tags here, can add them if anyone cares tho...

I need to get my vagina removed before Easter.

Lots of solid lines from this one, the short opening story was great, I'd write more but I need to go eat some raw meat and shit in the tub right now.

stevew 08-05-2012 10:04 PM

Just got time to watch it. Loved the stripper sequence with Robin Williams. The kid shitting in the tub and the FU to KC were awesome.

stevew 08-10-2012 02:13 PM

That's the level of passion a rug warrants.

jeff061 08-10-2012 02:46 PM

Blueberry lady was one of my favorite episodes, loved seeing her again.

stevew 08-17-2012 04:02 PM

Going to have to rewatch this episode. It really played like a short movie this time. I think I liked it, but it certainly had a strong WTF vibe to it.

chinaski 08-17-2012 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 2702730)
Going to have to rewatch this episode. It really played like a short movie this time. I think I liked it, but it certainly had a strong WTF vibe to it.

hah, yes. Just finished watching it and it left me asking wtf? However, I think I liked it a lot. I loved the beginning with his daughter playing a beautiful song on the violin and he busts in with "Stop it!". I could really sense a Woody Allen influence with this episode.

B & B 08-18-2012 01:42 AM

Exactly.

Im not gonna wax nostalgia, but look at this episode.

It starts with something above and beyond what you would expect from someone, talent wise, at a young age. Something we've never seen before.

It ends with maddening, childish instinctual chaos. Breaking law after law, felony after felony, just to escape.............. and not face what those ideals came from.

stevew 08-18-2012 02:03 AM

The whole bit last week when he goes to visit Maron was hilarious. Maron is in a pair of plaid boxers and just a hilarious outfit.

stevew 08-31-2012 02:56 AM

last couple weeks-

"Looking for Liz/Lilly Changes"
The guest spot by Chloë Sevigny was really odd.
Oh, i get it...she gets off on helping people. lol

The 2nd part of the episode when Jane thinks Lily is lost was pretty good. Jane is just about the best thing on TV right now.

"Late Show, part 1"-

Apparently this is a 3 part story. Garry Marshall was really good. I always love Doug the agent. will be interested in seeing how this story resolves itself(I'm sure it will end badly for Louie)

jeff061 08-31-2012 07:07 AM

Yeah, Jane is fantastic every second she's on screen. I really like Doug as well.

stevew 09-14-2012 11:59 AM

Jane is awesome, busting the shoplifter.

This story arc is great.

PilotMan 09-14-2012 10:23 PM

Season 2, Come On, God, was one of the best episodes yet.

stevew 09-21-2012 11:06 AM

I'm pretty sure that you would have one of the funniest movies ever made if you added another 30 or so minutes to expand the Late Show storyline. It was brilliant.

chinaski 09-21-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 2717820)
I'm pretty sure that you would have one of the funniest movies ever made if you added another 30 or so minutes to expand the Late Show storyline. It was brilliant.

+1:popcorn:

korme 09-21-2012 01:27 PM

Louis CK is possibly my favorite stand up comedian. That's why Louie seems like such a failure to me. It's not at all funny, and it's dark. I guess I don't understand.

Radii 09-21-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

I loved it, I was glued to my seat for the entire 90 minutes (minus commercials, whatever), laughed a ton at it and was intensely interested in the story the whole way through. I really love that Louis CK decided to tell some longer stories and bring back some characters this season, I don't need the continuity to enjoy the show, but his storytelling is so wonderful, it made the multi-episode arcs really great. Best thing on TV after Breaking Bad to me.

Radii 09-21-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by korme (Post 2717895)
Louis CK is possibly my favorite stand up comedian. That's why Louie seems like such a failure to me. It's not at all funny, and it's dark. I guess I don't understand.

I laugh at it a lot, though a few episodes here and there have completely missed that I think were trying to be funny, and some clearly aren't trying to be that funny and are really dark. Its of course completely subjective, I can totally see why people wouldn't like it. I laugh more at Community or other straight sitcoms, but I look forward to Louie more than any other half hour show. There's nothing on TV like it, in a good way. Most of the episodes that aren't funny I still find intensely compelling in some way. Early in season 1 I expected something similar to CK's standup, but now I just go into each episode having no earthly idea what I'm going to see from week to week and I get legitimately excited for that.

stevew 09-21-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by korme (Post 2717895)

Most of the show theoretically functions as the prequel type material that is eventually crafted into comedic bits. Maybe "blueberries" wasn't super funny on it's own. If someone relayed that to you in the form of a narrative joke, it would be hilarious, though.

And a lot of the time I'm pretty sure it's not intended to be a comedy.

Radii 09-21-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

double dola, I loved the ending btw. So much of the show is life shitting on Louie in various ways, and he just takes it like he expects it, and that's pretty much always funny. I really enjoyed the way this ended, it was a crushing defeat for fake Louie from all angles, but at the end he gives the big fuck you to Letterman and for once seems genuinely happy for having grown and gone through the whole thing and basically doing the best possible job he could have done, given how hard he was being fucked over. Having him find a sense of accomplishment at the end felt like a really nice way to end it.

NorvTurnerOverdrive 09-21-2012 02:21 PM

the woody allen comparisons are justified. it's genuinely brilliant shit

stevew 09-21-2012 03:28 PM

I didn't realize that Louie was actually more or less banned from letterman for a 15 year period. Crazy.

chinaski 09-28-2012 01:12 PM

Season finale was flawless, so many layers. Louis C.K is a genius.

stevew 09-28-2012 01:29 PM

Really great season. I loved it.

stevew 09-28-2012 01:32 PM

Loved the juxtaposition of Parker Posey dying while everyone else celebrated the new year...Louie still alone.

Radii 09-28-2012 05:34 PM

Beautiful finale, the doll scene is one of the funniest things i've ever seen

B & B 10-01-2012 02:25 PM

Was out of town all weekend for a wedding, just got around to watching it.

Fantastic.

NorvTurnerOverdrive 10-01-2012 05:36 PM

yep. the dream sequence with his daughters in his voice, good stuff

Draft Dodger 10-01-2012 05:54 PM

new to the show this year and I'll echo that it is a lot darker than I thought it would be. and brilliant

chinaski 10-09-2012 06:03 PM

Bummer, no Louie until spring 2014! What the dick!?
'Louie' Will Take A Hiatus; Season 4 Will Premiere Spring 2014

stevew 05-05-2014 06:43 PM

Totally stoked for tonight.

stevew 05-20-2014 03:06 AM

Jane's like the best character on TV.

path12 05-21-2014 05:12 PM

I think this season has been fantastic so far.

stevew 05-21-2014 05:17 PM

That Pam stuff was awesome. She's a dick.

Logan 05-21-2014 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 2928971)
Jane's like the best character on TV.

Agreed, but I really miss the way she used to speak.

chinaski 06-03-2014 09:06 AM

the restaurant scene from episode 9 was brilliant.

stevew 06-03-2014 09:33 AM

So like 2 more double episodes and then no more Louie for probably a year. That sucks.

stevew 04-11-2015 05:45 AM

I loved the premiere. I think it's only 7 episodes this year.

rowech 04-11-2015 06:12 AM

Most awkwardly hilarious scene I've ever seen in any TV show.

stevew 04-21-2015 10:13 PM

Jane and Lilly really got big.

loved it when the convenience store guy called her a white bitch.