Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   2019 FIFA Womens World Cup (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=95910)

tarcone 06-12-2019 11:28 AM

2019 FIFA Womens World Cup

International Soccer. This is the only soccer I watch is the world cup stuff, be it mens or womens.

USA hung 13 on Thailand and is getting called out for poor sportsmanship.

Too bad, Thailand should have played better.

The USA is one of the favorites again

Live on fox

nilodor 06-12-2019 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarcone (Post 3240752)
International Soccer. This is the only soccer I watch is the world cup stuff, be it mens or womens.

USA hung 13 on Thailand and is getting called out for poor sportsmanship.

Too bad, Thailand should have played better.

The USA is one of the favorites again

Live on fox

I think people are more upset at the level of celebration for goals 9 on. The way they were going I'm surprised someone didn't pull a hammy. Given the tiebreaking format I don't think anyone should have a problem with the number of goals that were scored, but it's not necessary to go with a big celebration when you're crushing an overmatched opponent.

MizzouRah 06-12-2019 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nilodor (Post 3240754)
I think people are more upset at the level of celebration for goals 9 on. The way they were going I'm surprised someone didn't pull a hammy. Given the tiebreaking format I don't think anyone should have a problem with the number of goals that were scored, but it's not necessary to go with a big celebration when you're crushing an overmatched opponent.

That's exactly the issue some people are having. I have no issues with the score, just show a bit of restraint with the over the top celebrations.

molson 06-12-2019 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MizzouRah (Post 3240755)
That's exactly the issue some people are having. I have no issues with the score, just show a bit of restraint with the over the top celebrations.

FWIW, if the Blues go up 13-0 tonight, I think your over-the-top celebration would be incredibly appropriate. :) And I wouldn't be offended by every Blues goal being celebrated by the team the same as the one before.

Edit: I'm not a big outwardly emotional celebrator myself in any context, but I don't think there's any reason for someone to mute themselves if that's who they are, player or fan, as long as its not directed in a hostile way at the opposing team or fans.

Arles 06-12-2019 12:09 PM

I don't mind the celebrating. In theory, everyone qualified for the World Cup and goal difference matters - I have no issue with running up the score or celebrating when you accomplish something pretty historic (13 goals and 5 by one player).

thesloppy 06-12-2019 12:37 PM

Considering the level of personal, familial shit-talking you can sometimes see & hear going on between the most minor of NFL/NBA plays, I think this might be a case of projection by the fans/viewers.

To get to this level every player on the Thai team has probably been on the winning side of dozens of similar performances & displays.

BishopMVP 06-12-2019 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MizzouRah (Post 3240755)

+2

If goal difference actually matters as much as people are claiming now, get back to your side so you can put in a 14th. (And considering Chile is actually ranked even lower than Thailand I don't think getting out of the group will be a big issue.)

molson 06-12-2019 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesloppy (Post 3240762)
Considering the level of personal, familial shit-talking you can sometimes see & hear going on between the most minor of NFL/NBA plays, I think this might be a case of projection by the fans/viewers.

To get to this level every player on the Thai team has probably been on the winning side of dozens of similar performances & displays.

I see the Thai women beat Indonesia 13-0 in a friendly last year.

I'm sure the celebrations weren't as big as they'd be in a world cup game, but, is winning by that much in a friendly considered bad form?

Edit: And in last year's AFF championship, they beat Timor-Leste 8-0, Cambodia 11-0, and Malaysia 8-0. They certainly didn't need that many goals to get to the knockout round.

nilodor 06-12-2019 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 3240765)
I see the Thai women beat Indonesia 13-0 in a friendly last year.

I'm sure the celebrations weren't as big as they'd be in a world cup game, but, is winning by that much in a friendly considered bad form?

Edit: And in last year's AFF championship, they beat Timor-Leste 8-0, Cambodia 11-0, and Malaysia 8-0. They certainly didn't need that many goals to get to the knockout round.

I don't think anyone is getting bent over running up the score, if the other team doesn't like it, they should be stopping them and all that. In fact I think it's better to play hard all the way through because it's a way worse feeling when a superior opponent lets up on you. However, I think if you obviously are outclassing the opposition you can show a little respect and just limit the celly to a fist pump and some high fives instead of a choreographed broadway line dance.

MizzouRah 06-12-2019 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 3240756)
FWIW, if the Blues go up 13-0 tonight, I think your over-the-top celebration would be incredibly appropriate. :) And I wouldn't be offended by every Blues goal being celebrated by the team the same as the one before.

Edit: I'm not a big outwardly emotional celebrator myself in any context, but I don't think there's any reason for someone to mute themselves if that's who they are, player or fan, as long as its not directed in a hostile way at the opposing team or fans.

:D

If we go up 13-0 tonight I apologize in advance for anything I do that's over the top. Which might just be streaking down our street. :p

Johnny93g 06-12-2019 03:21 PM

Anyone suggesting scoring as much as you can being wrong doesn't understand sports. And for the most part, i don't see anyone really suggesting that. The problem people are having is obviously the ridiculous over the top celebrations. You can be ok with the 13 goals, and not be ok with the celebrations.

I find it hilarious though, to see people suggesting that 13 goals by this team means they should be getting equal pay as the mens teams. I've seen broadcaster, celebrities and fans suggest this, and it boggles my mind. Not sure what a beat down of a clearly inferior opponent has to do with deserving the same money then the number one game in town. :banghead:

ISiddiqui 06-12-2019 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny93g (Post 3240787)
I find it hilarious though, to see people suggesting that 13 goals by this team means they should be getting equal pay as the mens teams. I've seen broadcaster, celebrities and fans suggest this, and it boggles my mind. Not sure what a beat down of a clearly inferior opponent has to do with deserving the same money then the number one game in town. :banghead:

The entire debate is completely confused. Mostly because the Men and Women get paid in entirely different ways - The Men get money for making the roster and games they play in, in addition to per diems. The Women get a SALARY from US Soccer in addition to roster and win bonuses. Now I agree the per diems should be the same, but the rest of it you have to take into account the salary that is spent on the women when discussing equalizing the roster and win bonuses. And most of these commentators don't understand that in the slightest.

molson 06-12-2019 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny93g (Post 3240787)
Not sure what a beat down of a clearly inferior opponent has to do with deserving the same money then the number one game in town. :banghead:

I'd say they deserve the same or more money because unlike the men's team, they're actually World Cup caliber.

Johnny93g 06-12-2019 05:20 PM

https://www.instagram.com/p/BynxgCohtsw/

Quote:

Make way for the most deserving #WCW this week, all 23 of them! These ladies are absolute powerhouses and inspirations on and off the field! Endless congrats to these superstars on taking home quite the win yesterday AND making history - breaking the record for the biggest win in Women's and Men’s World Cup history (13-0, NBD!), scoring the most goals in a single half, and Alex Morgan now being tied for scoring the most goals scored by a player in a single World Cup match! 😍👏🏼 Despite all of these accomplishments, there is still a huge pay disparity between women's and men’s teams. Did you know that these women won the 2015 Women’s World Cup and brought home a combined $1,725,000? While this is an outstanding achievement, let’s not forget the U.S. Men’s National Team brought home MORE than twice that after losing in the men’s 2014 round of 16. I am so proud of @carlilloyd, @alexmorgan13, and @mrapinoe for taking a stand against their employer, the U.S. Soccer Federation, for gender discrimination by addressing compensation, working conditions, and how the investments being made are affecting their pay. You can read more about it with the link in bio. Great work ladies, you deserve to be paid fairly and I’m cheering you on - in all the ways!! ⚽️💥 #USWNT #FIFAWWC #WWC2019

That's from Michelle Monaghan's instagram, who by the way, i LOVE!!! This is the kind of crap i'm seeing. What does winning have to do with it? These American team is clearly the best or one of the best in the world at their sport. Woman's soccer. Amazing!! They can make a living playing woman's soccer. Stop comparing it to men's soccer or men's soccer results. If the results are so important, why not play a game between the two teams. Ya i know how stupid that sounds, but come on. This is so stupid.

BishopMVP 06-12-2019 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 3240797)
I'd say they deserve the same or more money because unlike the men's team, they're actually World Cup caliber.

Like 90% of the money comes from global World Cup rights fees, and the networks (obviously) pay more money for the men's tournaments. Blame the USSF for a lot of things, but in this case blame the world for being sexist (or whatever, because saying you'd rather watch men who are more athletic play sports than women might get you in trouble these days).
Quote:

Originally Posted by ISiddiqui (Post 3240795)
The entire debate is completely confused. Mostly because the Men and Women get paid in entirely different ways - The Men get money for making the roster and games they play in, in addition to per diems. The Women get a SALARY from US Soccer in addition to roster and win bonuses. Now I agree the per diems should be the same, but the rest of it you have to take into account the salary that is spent on the women when discussing equalizing the roster and win bonuses. And most of these commentators don't understand that in the slightest.

Yep. The women's contract was negotiated because there was no viable pro league, so they set it up where the USSF paid them 100k & health benefits, and they schedule many more camps & friendlies (where they average about half the men's team's attendance figures despite cheaper tickets) to make more money. But now that a lot of European club teams are getting on board the US actually demanded their best player come back to play in the worse and lower paying US pro league if she wanted to play for the national team.

bhlloy 06-12-2019 05:57 PM

I think anyone who can celebrate a 13-0 win in the World Cup and bemoan the difference in pay between Mens and Womens soccer in the same argument and not see the fact those two points are on different sides can probably be safely ignored.

I've also seen Rapinoe and Wambach both trumpet the "would you be criticizing celebrating if it was a mens game" and the answer is yes, they absolutely would. I've seen many mens games at all levels at soccer in this exact scenario.

I'm generally for Women's equality, but sometimes market forces are market forces and sometimes arguments are just stupid. Like Bishop said, blame the world for not wanting to watch or sponsor it at the same level.

bhlloy 06-12-2019 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 3240797)

And I'd argue completely the opposite, it shows that the parity and quality of the game is nowhere near the same, which explains why less people worldwide watch it and why it makes way less money.

molson 06-12-2019 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BishopMVP (Post 3240808)
Like 90% of the money comes from global World Cup rights fees, and the networks (obviously) pay more money for the men's tournaments. Blame the USSF for a lot of things, but in this case blame the world for being sexist (or whatever, because saying you'd rather watch men who are more athletic play sports than women might get you in trouble these days).

Nothing can be done about World Cup rights fees, but in the team's lawsuit against the USSF for example, they're going after the USSF's role in the overall disparity, when it comes to working conditions and medical treatment and other things.

Mostly though I just wanted to take a shot at the men's team.

cuervo72 06-12-2019 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 3240756)

I think it's one thing if you win over an evenly-matched team like that in a final -- like say, Germany/Brazil. In an opening round game against a team who is clearly inferior and probably doesn't deserve to even be in the tourney?* Eh, tone it down after maybe the sixth goal. Keep scoring because you need to per the rules, but you're not accomplishing anything of any great effort at that point. It's like dunking on a five-year-old.

* I am of the mind that if you have games like this, your tourney is watered down or not ready for prime time. There's no point in a team like Thailand being there, there slot is a participation trophy. Same goes for NCAA Women's BB (and to some extent, Men's BB). Don't include teams who don't belong there.

tarcone 06-13-2019 06:32 PM

Australia comes back from a 2-0 deficit against Brazil to win 3-2. Winning goal was an own goal by Brazil

miami_fan 06-14-2019 11:21 AM

Between the rule changes for handball and an emphasis on goalkeeper discipline during penalty kicks, the game moving forward....oof

Butter 06-14-2019 11:24 AM

I say on the ref whistle, the keeper can charge the ball. That'll make for some interesting penalties and stop this hesitation bullshit.

tarcone 06-17-2019 03:43 PM

This discussion just happened in the Nigeria/France game.

Nigerian goalkeeper took one step forward. France kicker missed PK. They reviewed and gave France another PK, which she made which made the game 1-0 in the 86th minute.

MIJB#19 06-17-2019 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarcone (Post 3241233)
This discussion just happened in the Nigeria/France game.

Nigerian goalkeeper took one step forward. France kicker missed PK. They reviewed and gave France another PK, which she made which made the game 1-0 in the 86th minute.

"One step forward" suggests she didn't commit a foul, I'd describe it as the goalkeeper taking a leap forward, going from starting behind the goal line to millimeters ahead of it with both feet.

tarcone 06-17-2019 04:13 PM

I guess you are right. But it didnt have an effect on the outcome. But rules are rules.

This is why Rugby has laws and not rules. ;)

ISiddiqui 06-17-2019 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarcone (Post 3241239)
I guess you are right. But it didnt have an effect on the outcome. But rules are rules.

This is why Rugby has laws and not rules. ;)

Soccer also has laws - they are called the Laws of the Game (not rules).

But as in most countries, laws are subject to interpretation by the officials.

tarcone 06-17-2019 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISiddiqui (Post 3241241)
Soccer also has laws - they are called the Laws of the Game (not rules).

But as in most countries, laws are subject to interpretation by the officials.

True. They are.

Sorry you missed my Rugby is better than soccer dig. :)

Or maybe you didnt.

tarcone 06-29-2019 04:47 PM

U-S-A! U-S-A!

Big win over France on their turf.

Keep politics out of sport.

Butter 07-02-2019 01:35 PM

Rapinoe out due to injury today.

Hopefully our arrogance can carry us through.

Arles 07-02-2019 02:12 PM

Great start!

MIJB#19 07-02-2019 02:21 PM

We're back to this thread now? This is getting confusing. :D

Butter 07-02-2019 02:33 PM

Guessing on a 4-3 final, neither defense looks convincing AT ALL.

JPhillips 07-02-2019 02:39 PM

Amazing how different a player can look from match to match. I thought Lavelle was terrible against France, but she's been unstoppable so far today against England.

Honolulu_Blue 07-02-2019 03:26 PM

Wow. I can't believe they took that goal away from England. That was an awful call.

PilotMan 07-02-2019 03:32 PM

Me either. I mean, it looks like pixel on pixel.

This game is going to have another goal. The US are playing really aggressive up top and out of the back. Which may get them the 3, but my open the goal for England. It's probably how I'd play in FM with confidence in my team to be able to score again, no matter if my opponent scores the equalizer or not. That's not typically what you see at this level though.

AlexB 07-02-2019 03:38 PM

That’s not a pen for me

AlexB 07-02-2019 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue (Post 3242467)
Wow. I can't believe they took that goal away from England. That was an awful call.

It was the right decision. I don’t know how it can be argued to be wrong? Edit - right to disallow it.

bhlloy 07-02-2019 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexB (Post 3242472)
That’s not a pen for me

I think it probably was but shouldn't be with the evidence available. There was an angle that looked like the legs clipped, but I don't see conclusive proof - most just look like she's kicking air.

PilotMan 07-02-2019 03:40 PM

Now I see what everyone is talking about with this stupid ass review system.

That was total bullshit too.

The attacker kicks the defender, who is running and holding her line (and making contact nowhere else). That's total bs.

bhlloy 07-02-2019 03:41 PM

Well, VAR has achieved it's apparent desired goal of awarding a penalty and chalking off a well worked goal over millimeters, so everyone wins.

What a shit penalty. Nice to see the ladies have their own Southgate now.

AlexB 07-02-2019 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PilotMan (Post 3242476)
The attacker kicks the defender, who is running and holding her line. That's total bs.

That’s not what happened, but it wasn’t a penalty. It was incidental contact, tangle legs that you sometimes see between a WR and DB on a deep post. No-one kicked anyone

PilotMan 07-02-2019 03:42 PM

Honestly, what a total fucking mess.

AlexB 07-02-2019 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhlloy (Post 3242474)
I think it probably was but shouldn't be with the evidence available. There was an angle that looked like the legs clipped, but I don't see conclusive proof - most just look like she's kicking air.

Definite contact, but just an incidental tangle of legs.

PilotMan 07-02-2019 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexB (Post 3242478)
That’s not what happened, but it wasn’t a penalty. It was incidental contact, tangle legs thatbyounsometimes see between a WR and DB on a deep post. No-one kicked anyone

Well yeah, incidental. The striker brings her right leg back to strike the ball, and hits the defender's shin which throws off her timing leading to the bad miss. My point was the defender was just running, that's it.

AlexB 07-02-2019 03:50 PM

I haven’t seen the US play before - I’m assuming this isn’t a great performance by their standards as a lot of the players look like they have a lot of ability, it’s just not gelling. Defending pretty well though to be fair.

AlexB 07-02-2019 03:52 PM

Dola, should add that they still look better than England, just might be frustrating for us that we caught you on a bad day and still didn’t take advantage

JonInMiddleGA 07-02-2019 04:03 PM

Dammit England, you had ONE job

PilotMan 07-02-2019 04:07 PM

Tory; go home.

tarcone 07-02-2019 04:19 PM

Big win. And a tough gme.

Seems the rest of the world is catching up. That will be good for the sport.

USA! USA! USA!

AlexB 07-02-2019 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PilotMan (Post 3242490)
Tory; go home.

:confused: