Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Alright boyz 'n' girlz... NCAA 2010 impressions thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=73130)

Kodos 06-18-2009 10:00 AM

Alright boyz 'n' girlz... NCAA 2010 impressions thread

It's getting mostly good impressions so far over at OS.

Official NCAA Football 10 Demo Impressions - Operation Sports Forums

Kodos 06-18-2009 11:30 AM

Played one quick game on the second highest level. There seems to be more of a pass rush. Controls seem a bit more responsive. There was a weird thing a couple times in the hurryup offense where Oklahoma got a first down, the ball was spotted, the playclock was running, but the game clock wasn't. After these long pauses, the QB would spike the ball. Odd.

Overall, it seemed like somewhat of an improvement over '09.

wade moore 06-18-2009 11:41 AM

The bugs you and others are seeing worry me most. I don't get the impression that demos are supposed to be pre-release versions, just limited features on the final release.

Atocep 06-18-2009 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wade moore (Post 2052825)
The bugs you and others are seeing worry me most. I don't get the impression that demos are supposed to be pre-release versions, just limited features on the final release.

The demo last year was from a build that was a couple months old, IIRC. The certification process to get a demo up makes it nearly impossible for them to get a final build released.

Kodos 06-18-2009 11:46 AM

Also, as someone mentioned in the OS thread, too many twirl-the-player around tackles.

Kodos 06-18-2009 11:48 AM

Also, Tebow is a beast running the ball. I can see why everyone plays with Florida online.

wade moore 06-18-2009 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atocep (Post 2052833)
The demo last year was from a build that was a couple months old, IIRC. The certification process to get a demo up makes it nearly impossible for them to get a final build released.

Seems like an odd choice, but I guess it makes sense.

Galaxy 06-18-2009 12:35 PM

I'm suprised they aren't charging you for it.

JonInMiddleGA 06-18-2009 12:42 PM

Do they charge you $1.80 to see your own playbook?

Kodos 06-18-2009 01:03 PM

No, but if you want passing plays activated, there is a nominal fee of $5.

sterlingice 06-18-2009 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 2052901)
Do they charge you $1.80 to see your own playbook?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodos (Post 2052926)

Nice :D

Krusty: Bart, there's two seconds left. Now listen up. It's your basic Statue of Liberty play with one twist: you throw it to me! Knute Rockne called it the forward pass.

SI

PurdueBrad 06-18-2009 01:40 PM

This is the first time that I played the demo and came away with a kind of, "that's it" feeling. I've been solidly NCAA over Madden the last four years (and always bought both prior to that) but I might go back to Madden this year simply because they seem to be the more forward thinking of the two development teams.

cartman 06-18-2009 01:41 PM

One thing I've definitely noticed is a welcoming lack of Pick 6s. I haven't seen one yet.

fantom1979 06-19-2009 03:28 AM

Did this come free with Tiger Woods Ultra Fancy Shiny Box edition?

DeToxRox 06-19-2009 12:33 PM

Played on Heisman, and yeah, I know it's a demo but it's pretty bad. I love the NCAA series and I'll still contemplate getting it but there is still no pass rush and apparently sliders are broken and will be patched. That is just abysmal.

There really isn't anything about this game that screams must get and for once I might just get Madden which I have not bought since 2005 or 2006.

But yeah this game just seemed too easy and if sliders are broken it's gonna be a long painful ride.

Pumpy Tudors 06-19-2009 12:38 PM

I'm planning to download the demo, but I'm waiting until an hour before the game comes out before I do it.

Yeah, that's a halfhearted joke about my multiplayer experience in NCAA 09. Stick around and I'll also start joking about Colin White, my lack of dancing ability, and the size of my penis. I hate myself.

Celeval 06-19-2009 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodos (Post 2052926)

Yet another benefit of being a Georgia Tech fan!

Radii 06-19-2009 02:27 PM

haha nicely done Celeval. Option FTW!!

Eaglesfan27 06-19-2009 07:16 PM

I'm actually impressed with the demo:

- Adaptive AI seems to be in the demo and working well. I ran several plays inside and they started stacking 8 men in the box and shutting down my running game.

- Speed differential is night and day from 09. I don't think 99 speed is going to equal instant domination anymore.

- Pass coverage is better.

- It's more difficult (still not difficult enough) to scramble with QB's.

Edit to add: The biggest negative for me is not still not enough pass rush.

That being said, I still think I'll pass because I think Madden is going to be better and with so many other good games out there, I only have time for 1 console football game this year.

Icy 06-20-2009 04:46 AM

Not having heard anything new about the campus legend mode, i think i'll pass this year as that mode was the one that kept the game interesting for me.

ColtCrazy 06-21-2009 05:30 PM

I never seem to have a problem watching Netflix or playing online, but my 360 refused to download this at a reasonable pace. :mad:

Noop 06-21-2009 06:14 PM

This maybe the first time in a long time I take a pass on NCAA for Madden. The amount of bugs coupled with the lack of any significant features makes this a rental at best. Hopefully Madden will be good this year so I can have some kind of football to play this year.

JetsIn06 06-21-2009 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icy (Post 2054032)
Not having heard anything new about the campus legend mode, i think i'll pass this year as that mode was the one that kept the game interesting for me.

All I know is that they changed the name of it to "Road to Glory"

Emiliano 06-22-2009 02:45 AM

Still undecided about this.

Yeah, the game feels very similar to last year (seems like the 07->08 transition on old-gen, where they added almost anything) but, I admit it, the hype machine is getting to me. In the end, this is the main reason I bought a PS3: playing NCAA. Sadly, I've used it more as a DVD/Blu Ray player than as a gaming device so far. I don't know exactly why, but console gaming is getting less and less interesting, for me. Except for a couple of games online with my buddy Icy, I haven't exactly enjoyed 09. Played a couple of seasons in dynasty, gave up. Head Coach/Madden 09, played even less. I still have the 2K8 basketball series games, untouched. The games I've played the most are NBA Street Homecourt, and recently WWE Legends of Wrestlemania, two arcade games, and that says something.

I'm certainly looking forward to Fight Night 4, for example, but I'm also kinda sick to shell out another 50 € after The Sims 3 fiasco (game is still slow for me, and it seems there won't be a patch in the short time).

Assuming that the only chance I get to try the game is buying it (I'd have rented it, but NCAA doesn't get sold in Europe), what do you guys suggest? Do I buy this, hoping that it reinvigorates my interest in console gaming, or do I go back to FOF ... forever??? :)

RainMaker 06-22-2009 04:12 AM

I'd stick with FOF. Outside of The Show, my sports gaming is almost exclusively on the computer in text based sims. The good games have been pushed out of the industry and there are just too many companies pumping the same shit out every year.

CraigSca 06-22-2009 07:55 AM

Reports are coming out that the sliders don't work AGAIN and that a patch will be available to make them effective. Hilarious.

Mizzou B-ball fan 06-22-2009 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigSca (Post 2054757)
Reports are coming out that the sliders don't work AGAIN and that a patch will be available to make them effective. Hilarious.

The Nut and the Feisty Weasel: Wow. Really. Just...wow

Quote:

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Wow. Really. Just...wow

I'll do some poking around later but Dan Spezzano, crotchety sports gamer and blog reader, told me via DSP, "According to the devs over at OS the sliders do not work and will be fixed in a patch."

He's referring to NCAA 10.

I have nothing more to add, really.

Phototropic 06-22-2009 03:24 PM

Put me in the camp of not seeing much to warrant a purchase. I'll look at Madden if I get a football game this year which will be the first time I've not played NCAA since 2006.

Balldog 06-23-2009 05:25 AM

EA needs to clean house or revamp the way they run things....maybe both. This seems like a complete system breakdown...no lessons learned applied at all.

On a recent poll at OS, in the NCAA Football board.

Will you buy NCAA '10?
Yes, New - 36.45%
Yes, Used - 9.79%
No - 53.76%

So on a forum for your game, less than 50% plan to buy your game. That's not good.

whomario 06-23-2009 06:10 AM

There´s still no possibility of playing american games on a European 360, is there ?

Emiliano 06-23-2009 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whomario (Post 2055507)
There´s still no possibility of playing american games on a European 360, is there ?

Nope. Unless they're region-free, and NCAA Football is not.

whomario 06-23-2009 07:02 AM

Of course it isn´t ... But hey, there could be a publisher found for the first time ever ! :banghead: Burn Microsoft, burn ...

Used to play theese games (College Hoops as well) all the time on my PS2 (there were easy methods there) as a big time fan of College sports ...

Mizzou B-ball fan 06-25-2009 09:16 PM

No punches pulled by Bill Harris in his impressions thread. Harsh words for the graphics and pursuit angles.

Dubious Quality: NCAA Football 10 (360): Demo Impressions

ColtCrazy 06-25-2009 09:31 PM

Found a thread with team grades. Don't know if they are legit, but they are some questionable grades.

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/243737.page

MizzouRah 06-30-2009 06:39 PM

I like the demo quite a bit.. but I also thought 09 was my favorite NCAA football to date.

Game feels like NCAA 09.5 and that's fine with me. Not $60 worth, but with NCAA fb, I'm not good at waiting on a price drop either. I'll trade in a few old games I have and get it ordered.

I really like the player lock feature and passing seems a lot more challenging.

MizzouRah 07-13-2009 03:28 PM

Tomorrow is the day!

I have read some favorable impressions over at OS.. so I guess I'll see...

Ajaxab 07-13-2009 05:10 PM

I'll be picking this one up. Haven't bought an NCAA football game since '07. I'm hoping Teambuilder works as advertised. Early returns seems favorable.

chinaski 07-13-2009 05:58 PM

Im guessing theres no PC version? *cries*

Logan 07-13-2009 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajaxab (Post 2072027)
I'll be picking this one up. Haven't bought an NCAA football game since '07. I'm hoping Teambuilder works as advertised. Early returns seems favorable.

On the opposite side...for the first time in years, I have no urge at all to buy this, and this is coming off loving 09.

ColtCrazy 07-13-2009 06:09 PM

I'll be getting this one. I loved 09 (with some exceptions) and if 10 is just tweaked some, I'll be okay with that. I'm really hoping that the NCAA/Madden combo this year is good enough for me to skip 11. I'd really rather renew the games every other year. I just hated Madden 09 too much.

Oddly enough, I preordered through GS, and won't get it till tomorrow afternoon. Our Wal-Mart NEVER gets stuff in and I found out today they'll have them at midnight. Figures.

Ksyrup 07-13-2009 06:11 PM

My birthday is coming up in a month, so if this gets some decent feedback, I'll have the kids get it for me.

cartman 07-13-2009 06:18 PM

I'm heading out of town for a week, starting tomorrow night. I'll pick it up when I get back.

illinifan999 07-13-2009 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajaxab (Post 2072027)

Just an FYI, if you are using a custom logo for your TB team, you MUST be connected to the internet any time you play in order for the logo to display. If you are not connected to XBL, the custom logo will be the EA Sports logo.

Eaglesfan27 07-13-2009 06:41 PM

If the good feedback keeps coming, I'll pick this up used, but I refuse to support EA's effort on this game. For those who are picking it up early, here is some good info about updated rosters (and the first patch) from EA (via a main developer on OS.):

Hey guys, updated rosters can be found in the following locations:

PS3 - EA_CS
Xbox 360 - EASCncaa10

Both are live now, we should have some information on the patch tomorrow. The patch is really only awaiting final approvals and hopefully will be out soon.

Edit: Apparently, there are issues with downloading either file (they won't download properly.) It's a known issue that is still being worked on.

rowech 07-13-2009 07:25 PM

i thought early on this game was getting panned quite a bit....now it seems everybody is loving it?

JonInMiddleGA 07-13-2009 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rowech (Post 2072196)
i thought early on this game was getting panned quite a bit....now it seems everybody is loving it?

I was kind of wondering the same thing ... "loving" might be a little stronger than I would have described it but for some reason I get a more positive vibe suddenly as well.

Considering our pre-order is sitting at GameStop ready to be picked up, I'm extremely curious about the shifting wind myself.

Mizzou B-ball fan 07-13-2009 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rowech (Post 2072196)

Overall feedback has been negative thus far. I'm sure you can pick bits and pieces overall, but buyer beware of this debacle. I'm considering buying Madden 10 at some point, which is saying something. I wouldn't touch this game unless the price was right (i.e. free).

The preorders for this game were so low that most Gamestop locations that held midnight releases last year have chosen not to do so this year. That's a very ominous sign.

illinifan999 07-13-2009 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2072241)
Overall feedback has been negative thus far. I'm sure you can pick bits and pieces overall, but buyer beware of this debacle. I'm considering buying Madden 10 at some point, which is saying something. I wouldn't touch this game unless the price was right (i.e. free).

The preorders for this game were so low that most Gamestop locations that held midnight releases last year have chosen not to do so this year. That's a very ominous sign.

Funny, seems most people seem to like it this year.

panerd 07-13-2009 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MizzouRah (Post 2062150)
I like the demo quite a bit.. but I also thought 09 was my favorite NCAA football to date.

Unfortunately though I think we both suffer from the same bias. I used to love the Chiefs in Super Tecmo Bowl also. :)

Mizzou B-ball fan 07-13-2009 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by illinifan999 (Post 2072270)
Funny, seems most people seem to like it this year.

Really? The main three people that I trust for sports game reviews (Bill Abner, Bill Harris, and Pastapadre) have all been negative overall with Pasta being the only one moving even close to a neutral feel. Perhaps you have some reviews that indicate otherwise?

The impressions thread over at OS has been mixed at best. Warts usually take a day or two to come out. The fact that many of the problems with last year's game are already being reported in this year's game is a dead giveaway that the early concerns of most people have been realized.