Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   In Tampa for a couple weeks... (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=77586)

jeff061 04-26-2010 08:15 PM

In Tampa for a couple weeks...

Back to back projects. I may not have any time to go out at night, but just in case I figure I ought to stay somewhere that has things within walking distance.

Any suggestions? I stayed at the Hyatt downtown last November, not a damn thing nearby that I found. Well I did find a bar, Boss Hog's, yeah...

hoopsguy 04-26-2010 08:36 PM

There were a lot of bars in Ybor City nearby, but I have no idea what is good there (if anything) at this point in time. It's been ten years since I was in Tampa, and even then I wasn't exactly bar-hopping there every weekend.

Dutch 04-27-2010 05:13 AM

2010 Rays Schedule | raysbaseball.com: Schedule

Here's the Tampa Bay Rays schedule if you want to take in a baseball game.

hoopsguy 04-27-2010 06:53 AM

It is a terrible ball park, although maybe the experience will be better with more than the 3,500 fans that were there for my one Rays game.

I described the experience as "depressing" and the park as a "mausoleum", fwiw.

jeff061 04-27-2010 08:04 AM

Hah, not sure if I could go from Boston to Tampa for a ball game :D.

I think Ybor was recommended to me last time I was down there, I'll check into that.

SteveMax58 04-27-2010 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff061 (Post 2273309)
Hah, not sure if I could go from Boston to Tampa for a ball game :D.

I think Ybor was recommended to me last time I was down there, I'll check into that.

Yeah, Ybor is probably a good bet to find some things to do. But I don't know if there are any hotels you'd want to stay at within walking distance. EDIT: I guess there are some hotels that might be decent to stay at there. I've just never really looked as I lived in the Tampa area and didnt need a hotel. :)

I'd also recommend Bay Street at International Plaza. It has some different restaurants & bars there in a little walkable area(it has a mall attached to it as well). That might sound a little cheesy but every time I've been there (usually Thursdays/Fridays) it's been pretty busy with late 20's to early 40's people and skews more towards professionals.

Not sure if you're looking for clubs...but, well...I havent really been to any in a while so hard to give any advice there.

Downtown Tampa isn't really a place to go to do much. It's mostly just a business district.

ShaneTheMaster 04-27-2010 08:29 AM

Ybor City - 20s crowd
Channelside - 30s crowd

I'm not sure about hotels in those 2 areas, though. Channelside has Splitsville, a bar with a bowling alley inside it that is pretty cool.

EDIT: Depending on where you have to go to work, I'd stay in Clearwater beach, they have plenty of bars/resteraunts in the area, and they are all within walking distance.

jeff061 04-27-2010 09:09 AM

Very good suggestions, thanks all. Bay Steet sounds more my style. I don't want to stay in too nice of a hotel anyways. I'm the product my company is selling so I need to keep costs down :).

I have to drive about 45 minutes outside of Tampa. But I didn't feel like staying in the sticks for a couple weeks.

ISiddiqui 04-27-2010 09:20 AM

Ybor City is awesome. Stayed at a nice hotel there... I think it was a Marriot property.

KWhit 04-27-2010 09:29 AM

Just stay next door to Mons Venus.

jeff061 04-27-2010 10:14 AM

Well I do get a $500 weekly stripper allowance...