Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   FOFC is good for you! (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=90240)

ISiddiqui 04-22-2015 09:46 AM

FOFC is good for you!

Internet forums are good for you

Quote:

Internet forums have a positive impact on life satisfaction and lead to increased involvement in communities outside the confines of the online world, according to a study published in Computers In Human Behavior. Redditors might be doing it right. The study approached users on a range of interest, lifestyle and hobby forums. The study split users into two groups: stigmatized subjects (like mental health discussion), and non-stigma related forums (sports, cooking and the rest). They were then polled about their reasons for joining the forum, how they felt about it, their life satisfaction and offline engagement with "issues raised in the forum". Author lead Dr. Louise Pendry of the University of Exeter said that: "As well as finding answers, our study showed users often discover that forums are a source of great support, especially those seeking information about more stigmatizing conditions."

"Moreover, we found that users of both forum types who engaged more with other forum users showed a greater willingness to get involved in offline activities related to the forum, such as volunteering, donating or campaigning." Unlike social networks, that have arguably substituted in for forums for a lot of people, The study highlights that forums still often maintain a degree of anonymity, which adds the effect when discussing issues with a stigma -- something that real names and face pics typically demolish.

:D

Lathum 04-22-2015 09:58 AM

I can honestly say my life is better because I have FOFC in it.

Kodos 04-22-2015 10:04 AM

FOFC killed my pet rock.

NobodyHere 04-22-2015 10:06 AM

Watching cartman and MBBF go at it apparently improves my life.

Thanks guys!

cartman 04-22-2015 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobodyHere (Post 3021898)
Watching cartman and MMBF go at it apparently improves my life.

Thanks guys!

It is like our own version of the Harlem Globetrotters vs. the Washington Generals.

ISiddiqui 04-22-2015 10:10 AM

But does that fit into "stigmatized subjects (like mental health discussion)" or "non-stigma related forums (sports, cooking and the rest)."

;)

Vince, Pt. II 04-22-2015 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartman (Post 3021901)
It is like our own version of the Harlem Globetrotters vs. the Washington Generals.

Wouldn't he have to win one then?

Buccaneer 04-22-2015 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISiddiqui (Post 3021887)
Internet forums are good for you

Yes. Bulletin Boards >>>> Blogs >>>> Facebook >>>> Twitter :)

ISiddiqui 04-22-2015 02:17 PM

Twitter and Facebook should likely be reversed there...

Quote:

The study highlights that forums still often maintain a degree of anonymity, which adds the effect when discussing issues with a stigma -- something that real names and face pics typically demolish.

Also... this totally doesn't apply to me, apparently. For obvious reasons tied to my username ;)

cartman 04-22-2015 02:20 PM

Even piercing the veil of anonymity by meeting quite a few of you louts in person hasn't affected my enjoyment. :D

SackAttack 04-22-2015 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II (Post 3021998)
Wouldn't he have to win one then?

It might take 40 years. Maybe if cartman begins to suffer dementia, that'll be MBBF's opening.

ColtCrazy 04-22-2015 03:27 PM

I'd agree. I'm by no means a regular, but I do find this forum enjoyable and engaging.

Eaglesfan27 04-22-2015 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartman (Post 3021901)

:D

sabotai 04-22-2015 05:03 PM

Quote:

Internet forums have a positive impact on life satisfaction and lead to increased involvement in communities outside the confines of the online world

I guess that makes me the exception that proves the rule.

korme 04-22-2015 11:09 PM

What else would I do with my free time?

Julio Riddols 04-22-2015 11:46 PM

This is one of about 10 websites I visit daily. In fact, I almost always have it open in a tab somewhere, right next to reddit. The discussion isn't quite as lively as it once was, but I feel like the group here is a bit more tight knit now than it used to be too. It has also been a nice resource when I have a question about something that I can't readily get an answer for elsewhere. I dig the diversity.

EagleFan 04-23-2015 12:59 AM

I think that I have had a tab open to this forum on my phone forever. My internet is here, check twitter, check Facebook and whatever search I may be doing. Other than that it's Steam and Netflix.

Hard to believe we are going on 15 years now... Longer if counting The Sideline.

Dola, wigfecta, cocky and funny, patriotic underwear, QOTM... All things that would have no meaning without here. Would add asshat as this was the first place I saw that, which I believe was a typo at the time.

Sorry, didn't mean to threadjack.

Kodos 04-23-2015 07:31 AM

Don't forget asswhite.

ISiddiqui 04-23-2015 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julio Riddols (Post 3022249)
The discussion isn't quite as lively as it once was, but I feel like the group here is a bit more tight knit now than it used to be too.

Tight knit groups, though, allow for more respectful discussion (mostly ;)), which I prefer somewhat to more lively discussion. Some message boards where they have people from both sides, but aren't necessarily tightly knit, and even when they are heavily moderated, resemble a war zone. It gets really old, really fast. This is more like a local pub (now to get beer served when perusing FOFC... ;)).

molson 04-23-2015 09:07 AM

When I see a thread I like I think of all the posters we've lost due to silly bannings. DT and Blackadar in the latest batch. And post volume continues to dry up. You can read threads last posted in on Saturday on the main page.

Logan 04-23-2015 09:12 AM

Agree. I really wish it was more active here. It's the only forum I'm on by far where 99% of people are nice and respectful of each other. Other places the range is probably from like 50% to 75%.

Kodos 04-23-2015 09:35 AM

DT and Blackadar were permanently banned?

Logan 04-23-2015 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodos (Post 3022350)
DT and Blackadar were permanently banned?

DT definitely wasn't, not sure about Blackadar. Think DT just got fed up.

Grover 04-23-2015 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan (Post 3022344)
Agree. I really wish it was more active here. It's the only forum I'm on by far where 99% of people are nice and respectful of each other. Other places the range is probably from like 50% to 75%.

+1

Only been around 3 1/2 years, but even in that time it seems like a lot of posters have left. I like the generally respectful discussion on the main boards. I think our dynasty page is thriving, though I'd love to see more contribution over a wider range of games there.

panerd 04-23-2015 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 3022340)
When I see a thread I like I think of all the posters we've lost due to silly bannings. DT and Blackadar in the latest batch. And post volume continues to dry up. You can read threads last posted in on Saturday on the main page.

Those were good posters that I definitely didn't agree with on much but still respected and appreciated their opinions. However I don't think they were banned and even though their suspensions might have happened in other threads they definitely let the political threads get the best of them. I fully admit I head over to those and sometimes get tangled up in the debate but outside of wasting some work time or free time at home trying to "nail somebody" on how they are "wrong" don't understand how anyone gets the feathers rustled that much by random internet people with different opinions than them.

molson 04-23-2015 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panerd (Post 3022442)
Those were good posters that I definitely didn't agree with on much but still respected and appreciated their opinions. However I don't think they were banned and even though their suspensions might have happened in other threads they definitely let the political threads get the best of them. I fully admit I head over to those and sometimes get tangled up in the debate but outside of wasting some work time or free time at home trying to "nail somebody" on how they are "wrong" don't understand how anyone gets the feathers rustled that much by random internet people with different opinions than them.

If you don't like the politics threads you don't have to go in them. The FOFC experience is less than it was because of the posters the mods have driven off. At this stage the the board's existence, posters and posting should be promoted and encouraged, not discouraged. We're not a bunch of teenagers posting dick picks or something. Nobody needs a time out, nobody is safer for the loss of these posters. I get how you don't understand how people get their "feathers rustled" on a message board, but I don't understand why those kinds of posters are a drawback for the board or how they negatively impact you or anyone else. I found the board a lot more entertaining when it had more colorful characters. Reddit has kind of become what FOF used to be.

Edit: And I know all these posters weren't permanently banned, but at this stage in the board's existence, every pointless boxing carries that risk of lengthy or permanent departures. To what gain?

MIJB#19 04-23-2015 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleFan (Post 3022257)
I think that I have had a tab open to this forum on my phone forever. My internet is here, check twitter, check Facebook and whatever search I may be doing. Other than that it's Steam and Netflix.

Hard to believe we are going on 15 years now... Longer if counting The Sideline.

Dola, wigfecta, cocky and funny, patriotic underwear, QOTM... All things that would have no meaning without here. Would add asshat as this was the first place I saw that, which I believe was a typo at the time.

Sorry, didn't mean to threadjack.

No trout option?