View Single Post
Old 01-31-2006, 04:59 PM   #130
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel
I forget which version of Quake it was (maybe III) but John Carmack (a man that knows a little about this stuff) spoke about AI and how extremely difficult it is to code. He also mentioned the amount of CPU that needs to be dedicated to each "bot" and the number wasn't small (even for that time), and that is just for simple FPS games.

Keep in mind that this is all way beyond simple if/then logic.
I spend more time reading, designing and coding AI than I do any one other thing, so I know a bit about this too. And if the AI bots for Quake 3 were the pinnicle of his AI expertise, I hope he sticks to just the math and graphics engine programming (Carmack is a genius, and I do look up to him, but he's not going to be god at everything. For instance, he's just not that good of a game designer and he's even acknowledged that. And AI is more about design than it is technical.).

Besides, an AI bot for Q3 is not an AI bot for football. They are two very different things.

I have a pretty good idea as to what would be needed to create a (2D top down) simulation of football and the AI required (and yes, well beyond simple if/then logic). It's very do-able.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote