View Single Post
Old 02-28-2006, 03:22 PM   #1
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Righting a Wrong: 1982 Orioles Replay

Growing up in the Baltimore suburbs, I became an Orioles fan shortly after my birth in 1969. My family had lived in Maryland since WW2, and my Dad would tell me stories about Johnny Unitas, Lenny Moore, Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell, etc. I would soon have my own heroes - guys like Bert Jones, Roger Carr, Eddie Murray, Lee May and even guys like Andres Mora. As a child, I had no idea how lucky I was being able to cheer for the Colts (who soon became quite miserable) and the Orioles (who were still in the midst of playing ball "The Oriole Way).

In 1982, at the age of 13, the O's "suffered" through an odd year. The pitching wasn't as dominating as it had been in the past and the team's record suffered. As with all Earl Weaver teams, however, the O's really turned it on when September rolled around. I still have an article from the Philadelphia Inquirer (we had moved to Pennsylvania in 1981) stating (and I paraphrase), "When September rolls around, one can be assured that Nebraska will win their first 2 games by a combined score of 126 to 6, and the Orioles will go about 25-5." The Orioles wouldn't do quite as well in September of '82 (they managed only a 22-10 record after Aug. 31st), but the end of the season pennant race was probably my most memorable.

At the end of the season, the O's found themselves 3-games behind the Milwaukee Brewers with 4 games left to play. As luck would have it, they would be facing the Brewers at home the final weekend. Friday would be a make-up doubleheader (remember those?), followed by a game on Saturday and Sunday. Thus, the Orioles would have to sweep all 4 games in order to head into the ALCS against the Angels. The O's swept the doubleheader 8-3 and 7-1 (I listened to both games on WFBR 1300 - and the reception was HORRIBLE in Pennsylvania). On Saturday, the O's would win again, 11-3. Finally, the last game was broadcast on national TV - Jim Palmer vs. (hired gun) Don Sutton. Robin Yount hit two homeruns (solidifying his MVP season) and the Brewers would romp to a 10-2 victory. I was heartbroken, but only had to wait a year for a World Series championship. I've been waiting ever since - ha!

So...laying the groundwork...I will be replaying the 1982 baseball season using Strat-o-matic V11. I will be playing the role of Earl Weaver, guiding this team to (hopefully) their rightful "place" - 1982 World Series Champions.

Rules:

Using all Strat "MAX Rules" for added realism.
Managing and playing all Baltimore games, use the computer to replay the rest of the AL games as well as the NL.
Using Primary lineups with rest (no "as-played lineups")
Minor leaguers are eligible, so every manager will have access to everyone who played for the respective teams in 1982, no matter when they debuted.
Using injuries - will this have an impact on the races?
The computer will limit overusage of players (as will I)
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote