View Single Post
Old 03-09-2006, 12:14 PM   #258
QuikSand
lolzcat

Big Day Today

Today, we finally get our first look at the draft class, as well as our first look at free agent contract demands. Chesapeake has a deep interest in all of the above – we have (as you already know, if you’ve been reading) three first round picks this year, so we have our biggest stake in the draft ever, by far. We also will be trying to do some renegotiating to free up cap space to perhaps add a veteran player or two – I don’t expect a huge splash in free agency, but it would be nice to add a player here or there.

I don’t think I will be tipping my hand too much with draft-day strategy in advance (though I already have forecasted my main areas of need) – so the reports ahead will likely be more after-the-fact than what’s-coming-up in nature. Fair warning.

I do take a look at our potential for renegotiations… there’s always a trade-off here, as guys will drop their demands incrementally as the stages progress, but then you essentially eliminate the immediate benefit from cap-clearing. If we want cap space to use right now in the early stages, we need to put their offers in right away – but if we don’t spend it, then we will have wasted an increment that we could have gotten by postponing the renegs until later. Alas – I almost always do my major renegotiations right away, to at least give us flexibility in the FA market. Sometimes, that has proven costly, but it’s subtle when you piss money away that way at least there aren’t any constant reminders (like the “dead cap space” line on the salary report).

One quick note – WR Justin Berkey is going to make things tougher than expected for us, as his initial renegotiation amount would only save us around a half million. He’s not really worth a ton to us on the field, so a release would save us $2 million this year – that money might come in handy in free agency. Might be a tougher call than I had anticipated.

Of course, on first glance, I don’t see a single wide receiver worthy of being taken with an early draft pick in the whole draft (great) so we might have to postpone our “build the receiving corps” plan until a later date. Alas.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote