View Single Post
Old 03-13-2006, 10:39 AM   #37
SelzShoes
High School Varsity

Clyde Sukeforth's Scouting Reports

Robinson, Jackie: Possibly too muscular to play short regularly, has shown himself to be adequate defensively all over the field, best bet would be on the corners somewhere. Seems to be good for 12-15 HR a season, with plenty of doubles. Not the fastest of the negroes I’ve seen, but a very cunning base runner. Was All-American at UCLA, has shown ability to thrive while playing in mixed situation. Articulate. Temperament is well suited for the increased pressure. No ‘set’ position, but versatility makes him an asset

Davis, Piper: No power. Style of play would have fit with the McGraw/Speaker era. Cat quick and sure handed on diamond. Risk taker on base paths and in field; not sure how well that will translate with faster opponents. Personal life does not bear well under close scrutiny. Loses focus in lop sided games; a little too much ‘fancy dan’ play. Could hit .300, but it would be a very empty .300.

Trouppe, Quincy: Very good bat for a catcher, not elite, but the next level down. Lifestyle of the barnstormer begs the question: but for how long? Strong throwing arm, but again, how will that translate with faster, smarter base runners. Adaptable—handles 2-3 pitchers a game. Good feel for the game, has understanding of fielder placement—makes in game adjustments because of lack of scouting reports. Game calling ability still unknown—level of opposition makes strategic pitch calling useless.

Paige, Satchel: At least 40, but still a formidable presence on the mound. Durability is a question—has only had a handful of appearances over 3 innings since the war. Probably more useful as a Fred Marberry type pitcher than regular starter. Motion is clearly a balk; don’t know how effective he could be under major league rules. Control is still impeccable, but may throw too many strikes. ML hitters could foul off his borderline pitches. Being paid $37,000 by Monarchs, might not be worth it as a sometime pitcher.