View Single Post
Old 03-27-2006, 12:04 AM   #29
Izulde
Head Coach

June 8th, 1073: County of Orvieto

William, King of England, died in March and his son Robert was crowned King. The troops of the Dual Counties continued to be act as protectorates in Rome, as Pope Bogumil refused to officially end the war with the Byzantine Empire. Spring became summer and with it came the first welcome news in a long time for the Orsini family.

In the courtyard of the Orsini manor, there stood a short, thin man with a thick, greasy black beard, dressed in well-worn robes that once were green, now a mottling of mud brown and unwashed grey. He remained in place, his arms slid into the sleeves of his robes as he waited silently.

His patience was rewarded when Iacopo came marching out a few minutes later, a guarded hope in the Count's eyes.

"You say that you can heal my son?"

The robed man bowed deeply at the waist, "I can, Your Lordship. All of Italy speaks of the great Iacopo Orsini, the count who would unite the peninsula under an Italian's flag. The people proudly proclaim their love of you and many tell of the generosity of your heir Livio, even in his sickness. Because of your reknown and your grace, I have come to offer my services in healing the child."

"Very well. What cost do you require?" Iacopo fought to maintain his composure through this exchange. Nightly he'd prayed that deliverance would come for his son and now it appeared to come here in the guise of this dirty, traveling mystic.

"You do not need to pay me. It is not you who needs my services, but your son, Your Lordship. It is him who must decide whether he wishes to pay or not. May I see him?"

Iacopo's brows raised. Truly this was a strange one! And yet, there was logic in his words....

"Yes, but I must also be in attendance."

"Of course, Your Lordship."

A few minutes later, count and healer were inside the small boy's room, the latter smiling down at his patient.

"Hello, little princeling. My name is Jerome the Mystic. I have heard of how generous you are and how good your father is. For that, I have come to make you better and take away your sickness. But I am a poor man and need money to eat. Will you pay me 10 goldoons so I can eat? Then I will heal you."

Livio sat up, spasming with his coughs and eagerness to answer, "Yes! Only... I don't have that much money, sir. Father, can you prepare a feast for this kind man? I want a celebration for his goodness in healing me. Buy him whatever food he likes best and new clothes, too. Make certain you spend all the 10 goldoons he asks for. I know we are poor, but tell the merchants that I will repay the debt I owe them when I become Count."

Both the mystic and the lord were forced to hold back their tears at this child's solemn bed pronouncements. "Truly, you are more generous and caring an individual than nine-tenths of the heads in Europe" murmured the healer as he bent down to lay his hands on Livio and begin a chant.

Two days later, Livio was fully cured of his sicknesses and both counties were joyous with their feasting, the healer the guest of honour in his bright, newly made robes.

January 25th, 1074: County of Roma

A month to the day after Livio's healing, the battering ram was invented in Orvieto. This discovery was to have far-reaching effects on Iacopo's plans for expansion of his domain and the happy news reached the mark of three, when on August 26th, a third daughter was born, named Francesca.

The rest of 1073 was uneventful and it was not until after the first month of 1074 was over that a significant event happened. Fearing the growing anger of his vassals and rumour that Counts Berardo di Razzi and Iacopo Orsini were going to pledge themselves to other rulers, Pope Bogumil at last signed a peace with the Byzantine Empire.

The news was received in Orvieto, ironically enough, as the two friends and Counts were just sitting down to dinner together with their families.

"Excellent news, eh, old friend?" remarked Berardo as he took a piece of bread for himself.

"Indeed it is. Your treasury has been doing well enough even with the levy, but now it can truly flourish and mine can recover from the months of debt it's accumulated" Iacopo noted.

Just then, the door open and Pietro Mezzabarba swept in, carrying a bottle of wine from Iacopo's own stocks. He grinned at the host as he sat down and began pouring glasses for each of the three men at the table, "Hope you don't mind, Iacopo, but an old churchman like me needs wine to get through the evening meal."

"Or any meal at all" teased Berardo, "And you may be fifty years, but I am sixty and so need the wine more than you do."

"All right, all right, both of you can have my wine", said Iacopo with a smile as he shook his head, "And you can even each have a bottle of my best stocks to take home with you, since I'm not only the host, I'm the youngest at thirty five."

The three friends laughed and proceeded to eat and drink until late in the night, when they took to their pipes and smoked, the conversation turning to more serious matters.

"I'm sorry for your loss, Berardo. Marino was a fine boy and would have made a worthy heir." Iacopo said as he puffed on his pipe.

The old man smiled sadly as he nodded, "I thank you for your condolences, my friend, but I consider it a blessing from God that I've managed to have children at all in my advanced years, let alone three of them. I'm just thankful that the two that died did so in their infancy, so the pain was lessened a little."

From the corner, Pietro coughed, "Yes, it's a shame you only have a daughter and one who isn't the most tactful at that. Reminds me too much of myself and that's never a good thing. But maybe she can marry Alfonso, eh?"

Iacopo chuckled, "You'd have to pass that through my wife. Mayor is raising the boy to be Castilian and I've agreed to let her choose Alfonso's wife, for she knows Iberia far better than I. I confess, I do like the idea of Alfonso's marrying Ginerva, though."

"Nothing would give me greater pleasure", replied Berardo as he rocked in his chair, "But I am afraid my daughter will never have anything more to offer than a pretty face and perhaps not even that. Do not throw away your family's fortunes for the sake of the sentimental love you bear a foolish old man, my friend."

"You spared my life and my lands and for that I will always be in your debt", Iacopo returned.

"Enough of this talk! Let's play cards, shall we?"

Pietro's suggestion was readily taken up and the rest of the evening passed happily for the three men.

August 2nd, 1075: County of Orvieto

The rest of 1074 was marked by the sad death of Francesca in late May, as the infant proved too sickly for this world, and the spreading of numerous new and exciting technologies to the Dual Counties. The treasury also continued its slow climb out of debt and by the start of 1075, it was believed that all creditors would be paid by the close of the year.

In early August, the hot sun of late summer stirred in Iacopo's blood and he listened to it.

"We march on campaign for Napoli. The bastard Greeks have been allowed on Italy long enough." Iacopo announced to Marshal Alberto one evening over a post-dinner glass of wine, "Our armies are restored and our debt is nearly paid. We shall be able to try out our battering rams as well."

"You needn't argue the point with me, your Lordship", grinned Alberto, "Let's march now!"

A claim was quickly founded on the County, a declaration of war following immediately after. This time, Bogumil immediately intervened, the pontiff seeing the opportunity to expand his domain and influence on the peninsula.

With the aid of a massive papal army, Iacopo's forces crushed the Greek regiments and on November 13th, 1075, an agreement was signed handing Napoli over to Iacopo.

The Dual Counties had now become the Three Counties of Middle Italy and Iacopo was beginning to be regarded in more and more courts throughout Europe as the man to quite possibly unite the peninsual.

But the powerful Duchess of Toscana and the Lion of Apuila still remained forces to contend with, to say nothing of the Holy Roman Emperor, who held in his hated fingers the Kingship of Italy.

Livio after his restoration. Thank God I have a healthy Italian heir again!

Berardo's daughter. Her stats suck, but hey maybe she'll have large... tracts of land. That joke never gets old.

Iacopo after he was named Count of Napoli, making him the second Tri-Count ever in my CK games. We all know who the other one was.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote