View Single Post
Old 05-08-2006, 03:45 PM   #84
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla
Not really, I was just looking for a "general idea". I recall in OOTP playing historical years that the game engine attempted to match incoming players with proper skill sets, positions, etc., and it did an okay job. I never got the feel, however, that the "Mike Schmidt" that appeared in the rookie draft was going to havea career anything like the real deal. I don't know how the engine looked ahead into players careers, how well the player development model had to correct for certain real players that peaked early/late, etc.

When PureSim does the import of a historical player into the rookie draft, is that the last time the game engine "looks" at that players statisticls from Lahman? Or does the game refer back to Lahman to make sure it isn't getting ahead of itself (or behind)?

I imagine it would be hard for a game engine to recreate a player such as Nolan Ryan, since a good portion of his makeup would be off-the-charts. Similarly for Barry Bonds - in his career, would he be a huge power hitter from beginning to end, peaking in the middle (as most players do and any reasonable game engine would model), or would the game steer him towards his real life output, i.e. an explosion of power at the tail end?

Well, I don't know what goes on under the hood, but I can post some screen shots of some career stats for a few players that I ran in my 25-year experiment, and that might give you an idea how they've done.

I'll say this much - most of the big-name players that come into the draft every year get signed right away. The potential they have is pretty obvious, which is really only fair - if it were handled any other way, a human player would crush the AI on name recognition.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote