View Single Post
Old 07-14-2006, 07:52 AM   #38
wbatl1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19
Through 2008.

Actually, they aren't doing all that bad this year, they do rank 5th in the team world rankings right now. Losing Lance Armstrong wasn't something small. A new champion doesn't stand up like nothing happened.

Personally, I didn't understand the George Hincapie hype. I mean, he had great days last year, but until Tour 2005, he wasn't really tested/used as a winner type rider, especially not at this level. It'll take some time to find a new champion, but I doubt that Hincapie is that guy. From the riders riding this year, only one managed to finish top 10 before in the Tour de France. No, not Hincapie, not the touted future star Yaroslav Popovych, not Giro d'Italia winner Paolo Savoldelli. Nope, it's Jose Azevedo, who, oh surprise, was and is the best Discovery Channel rider so far this Tour.

I completely agree about Hincapie. While a very good if not great classics rider, and a solid domestique to protect the leader in the stage races, Hincapie never showed the ability to stay near the top of any GC.