View Single Post
Old 11-06-2006, 10:04 PM   #427
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
actually alan, this is the other issue i had with what you were saying all day....the draw of the ring and the lure of power that affected isuldur, boromir and bilbo were hardly the same as the affect that it had on Gollum. The affect the one ring had on Smeagol when he killed Deagol is the same as everyone else, but no one else had a completely second personality develop as a result of possessing the ring. it was always my understanding that the second personality was a result of his isolation for 500 years, and had nothing to actually do with the ring.....again, this is kind of a dork semantic argument, but what set my radar off was that you were giving out information as fact that there is no proof of.

Most of it is due to Gollum actually posessing the ring for far longer than any of the rest of them, or at least being near it and craving it longer. His mind just couldn't handle it and it eventually corrupted him.

You only saw mild cases of Boromir and Ilsidur allowing the ring to influence their decisions, however Bilbo very clearly started to exhibit symptoms of it in his later years. If Bilbo had not had a retreat to escape to, it possibly would have driven him mad as well.

Gandalf and Galadriel both talk at times about the power of the ring as well. Both perhaps are two of the strongest willed people in the entire stories felt that they would try to do things for good, try to do things for the right reason, but the ring would change who they were and would affect them in the same way.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote