View Single Post
Old 11-26-2006, 02:44 PM   #138
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I'm going to try something different this time around, instead of picking the good players we like, I'm going to track the players the computer selects, in this case I'm going to track all of the picks that the best and worst teams in the league make, so that should be around 14 to start with, with many of the late rounders falling off pretty fast. I'll also try to give an explanation of where the teams are and how these draftees will help them.

For the 2063 draft, in 2062 the San Diego Chargers won the Super Bowl, driven there from a 10-6 regular season finish by excellent post-season performances by their 16 year veteran QB Earl Shea and their veteran running back Ethan Rodgers. This team was a surprise to everyone and this was their first bowl win ever! Basically this was not a traditional Super Bowl team loaded with talent, their offensive skill players are mostly veteran guys on their last legs who put it all together for a good year, plus a pretty good defense. They can really use some replacement players at various positions going into the draft, and the scout says their primary need positions are mostly defensive, DE, OLB, and reserve DE. It's unlikely that Earl Shea has more than one or two more years with the team so they might look for a replacement if they are lucky enough to find one.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are one of the sad sacks of the league, they finished 3-13 last year to earn the top pick, and it has been seven years since they last made the playoffs. They also have a very seasoned QB, 16 year veteran Trent Myers, though they do have a very good receiver in 8 year player Spencer Juneau. They have some real problems at defensive line and in other parts of their defense, and the scout says they need a DE, Safety, and a Quarterback.

Tampa Bay has two really good choices at the top of the draft, both in their need positions, QB Andrew Jourden edges out DE Dustin Delgado, but only by a bit, both are graded 7+ players and top the draft class. Which one will they choose?

Tampa Bay - #1 overall – QB Andrew Jourden, Florida State. There's a lot here to like, as he has pretty good skills across the board, and massive upside, as long as he works on his timing.His very high volatility is a possible concern, however.

San Diego - #32 overall – DE Melvin Crawford, Jacksonville. The Chargers grabbed a solid player at a need position, who looks like a good run stopper and could be moved over to the right side of the line where he has more experience.

Tampa Bay - 2nd Round, pick #1 – SS Ty Wiggins, Duke. Tampa jumps on this excellent safety prospect, I'm surprised he didn't go in the first round as he looks like he could have the complete package.

San Diego - 2nd Round, pick #32 – RB Dan Arnold, Arizona State – The Chargers pick up Arnold, who doesn't look that great out of the gate, I don't see much potential for him to be a starting back as he lacks the speed and power, but he's got some tools and could be a third down/special teams guy with some pass catching ability.

Tampa Bay - 3rd Round, pick #1 – RB Scott Addy, South Carolina – I like this running back pick more than Arnold, he's got some outside speed and a bit of power inside, looks like these could combine to make him a decent back at the NFL level.

San Diego - 3rd Round, pick #32 CB Kevin Kanellitsas, Jr, Memphis – This looks like a nice pickup to me, as what Kevin lacks in run defense skills, he has in spades in zone and bump and run, as well as other areas. This is a great player to get at the end of the third round.

Tampa Bay - 4th Round, pick #1 SS Chris Derosa, Texas Tech – The Bucs grab a second safety to back up their previous pick, and he looks like a nice catch also, with good run defense and ballhawking skills, and is an excellent punt returner.

San Diego - 4th Round, pick #32 LG Bernard Eppright, Indiana. - The Bolts want someone to fill out their offensive line corps and Eppright looks like he could be an average player, probably a backup. He's got high volatility and good experience as a right guard so a switch there could pay dividends.

Tampa Bay - 5th Round, pick #1 FB Tommie Lombardo, Virginia – Tommie looks like he could be a useful player, with some skills in catching the ball, special teams, and blocking, and a low volatility.

San Diego - 5th Round, pick #32 WLB Deion Coleman, Kansas – Deion is a player who looks very good against the run and can play man-to-man a bit, with experience across the entire defense.

Tampa Bay - 6th Round, pick #1 CB Chuck Clemons, Ohio State – Chuck is a gamble, a guy who has medium ability across the board in most areas but has low volatility, instead he has nice experience across the secondary, they may be looking for someone they can pop in as a backup right away.

San Diego - 6th Round, pick #32 LT Randal Evens, Assumption – It's a crapshoot this late in the draft, Randal has some good experience on the line, though his abilities look pretty questionable to me.

Tampa Bay - 7th Round, pick #1 C Courtney Stelmack, Colorado State – This guy looks pretty good for a 7th rounder, middling ability and a high volatility.

San Diego - 7th Round, pick #32 WLB Anthony Dennis, Dayton – A random scrub with very low volatility, this guy is my “most likely to never be heard from again” player.

Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote