View Single Post
Old 01-30-2007, 04:24 PM   #159
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Here are a couple of backstories about a few of the contestants we've seen so far. I'll leave a few lines in case you don't want to read spoilers, although I wouldn't necessarily call these spoilers since this information may never come to light on the show. As always, this info comes courtest of MJ's Blog...

Here’s an interesting story on the “Amish” guy Troy Benaham who auditioned in Minneapolis. According to this story, Troy is actually Mennonite. There is a big difference between the Amish and the Mennonites. Mennonites have electricity, watch TV and drive cars. Ok? In fact, Troy has a cell phone. So, there you go.

When I reviewed Sean Michel’s audition in my Memphis recap, I said there was probably a backstory we haven’t heard yet. Sean is the contestant with the long beard and even longer hair who sang Johnny Cash’s “God’s Gonna Cut You Down.” Sean does have a story, and you can read it on his MySpace. He’s a devout Christian singer/songwriter who has already released an indie album. You can also listen to snippets of his music there.

Ottawa, Canada native Jory Steinberg lives in Santa Monica now, where she’s been pursing a musical career. Jory sang “Chains” at her New York audition with incredible range and pitch. You can read about her here. In Canada, she was considered the “Next Alanis” and had a 7 record deal with Canadian producer and Idol regular, David Foster. Her deal fell through before her first record was released.

Finally, Kia Thorton wowed the judges in New York with her rendition of Aretha Franklin’s “Ain’t No Way”. Like Jory Steinberg and Tom Lowe, she is no newcomer to showbuisiness:
She was still in her teens when “Lately,” a single she cut while a member of the R&B trio Divine, peaked at No. 11 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart in 1998. A second single, a cover of George Michael’s “One More Try” made it to No. 29 a year later. The group toured internationally, supporting ‘N Sync and Britney Spears, Thornton said.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote