View Single Post
Old 02-13-2007, 11:57 AM   #266
aztarheel
High School JV

From the Desk of Steve Victory, Cal Basketball Coach

Nov. 29, 2031

Lawd, have Mercer on me!

Hello folks, it’s Steve Victory here again. I’m on another plane flying cross country – I really hate all this flying this season – and I’m not feeling too good for many reasons. First, it’s a turbulent flight. Second, I think we had some bad hotel turkey for Thanksgiving. And third, we just got our fannies whipped tonight pretty good by Mercer. No not Miami or Minnesota or Michigan. But Mercer! Mercer!!! From the Atlantic Sun Conference (not the Atlantic Coast Conference)… On their tiny home court no less. Ugg… Who scheduled that match-up?

That’s right. We earn a number one ranking for the first time this season, then go out and play like a team that’s listed at 301. The wonderful news has already been posted on ESPN.com. I’m sure Mercer will bask in the glory for a few days in USA Today and other papers. I know this for sure – we’re having a five-hour practice tomorrow. I’ll be reading up on Bobby Knight motivational tactics tonight, believe me. We were way to cocky for this one...

At this point, we’re 7-1, which really isn’t that bad. But that one loss to Mercer (!!) sure makes the record seem more like 1-7. OK, I am overreacting. We’ve still got a long way to go, but it’s pretty embarrassing when fans from a mid-major are storming the court at your expense.

This is a crucial part of our season. We’ll try to bounce back against Western Illinois in a few nights, then we face Auburn and North Carolina at home – no slouch programs for sure. After a date against New Hampshire, we’re off on another key road trip through my home state of Florida. First we take on the Gators, then the Hurricanes (my alma mater).

Of course, we’ve already been hit by the injury bug. SG Adam Dunn crashed to the floor against Iowa State last week and broke his skull. I didn’t even know you could break your skull, but my trainer says he won’t play for 2-3 months. Dang… At least we beat the 15th-ranked Cyclones.
aztarheel is offline   Reply With Quote