View Single Post
Old 02-13-2007, 12:56 PM   #136
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
This is my point. One year in a new system with no real upgrades in the offensive talent around him is a pretty short commitment. Especially when you gave up on the talent and potential at the QB position in the draft last year. Maybe he was terrible in practice or just unable to pick up on the changes that Kubiak wanted. I don't know. But after givng him an big bonus last year and giving up on the chances to get Bush, Young, Leinart, Cutler etc. in the draft, I think you have to give him one more shot. Upgrade the talent on the offfensive side of the ball this offseason and evaluate him then. If after that, he still has not shown you anything, then you look for a different QB.

I tended to think the same thing before I went to a Texans game. David Carr plays scared. Who knows, it's probably from playing behind a crap OL for so long. But the bottom line is that the Texans consistently had guys open beyond the line to gain but Carr would always bail out to his dump off. At times it looked to me like he wasn't even going through his progressions before hitting the RB or the 2-yard pattern. It seemed like he made up his mind before the snap where he was going with the ball and the difference between Carr and a guy that throws a lot of picks with that strategy is that Carr always picks the low-risk two yard pass. This kind of play does wonders for a QB's completion percentage but doesn't help his team win games.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote