View Single Post
Old 02-14-2007, 10:03 AM   #271
aztarheel
High School JV

From the Desk of Steve Victory, Cal Basketball Coach

Feb. 14, 2032

Greetings hoops fans, Happy Valentine’s Day. This diary wouldn’t be what it is without you the readers… The drinks are on me today…

Well, a lot has happened since my last post. First, we won some more ball games! After knocking off Oakland, we swept Oregon and Oregon State in the great Pacific Northwest, then we won two big ones over Arizona and Arizona State (both were ranked in the top 10 at the time). That ran our winning streak since the UCLA loss to nine games. It also put us back on top of the national rankings!! (My lil bro’s team, NC State, isn’t that far behind – also in the top five!). The Mercer loss feels like forever ago — I’m proud of team for bouncing back. Mercer is 17-8 right now, so they’re no slouch...

We clobbered UA 90-65. Sammy Crowell had a big game with 21 points and 13 boards. Peter Madic added 18 points. One of our best post games in awhile… We beat ASU by a similar margin, 85-64. We held one of their studs, SF Larry Deeter, to 11 points. He had been averaging close to 20 per game. I think Deeter and our own SF Miran Lekivicius (17 ppg, 11 rpg) could be two of the best players in the country this season. Both are having phenomenal years…Stay tuned for post-season awards. It could be a harvest time for the Pac-10…

Of course, UCLA proved a tough foe again in the rematch. This time, the Bruins cut us down on our own court. We just don’t seem to match up too well with them for some reason. They beat us 77-69 – pretty convincing. Of course, I want to see them again in the tournament!

We rebounded against Southern Cal tonight, beating them 89-63. But all was not well on V-Day. We took a huge blow when our starting point guard, Pat Matthew, went down with a torn ACL early in the first half. You know, you never get used to hearing the pain that a player goes through when we blows his knee out. Matthew just crumpled over after making a hard cut to the basket. Fortunately, Adam Dunn has been back in action for a couple weeks. He’s a steady replacement but it’s tough knowing Pat won’t be with us the rest of the way…

We’re in good shape to win the conference regular season crown. We’ve got four games left, but all four are on the road – at Washington, at Washington State then the rematches with Arizona and Arizona State…
aztarheel is offline   Reply With Quote