View Single Post
Old 02-16-2007, 09:53 AM   #282
aztarheel
High School JV

From the Desk of Steve Victory, Cal Basketball Coach

Sunday, March 14, 2032

Well, the first weekend of the NCT is in the books, and we’re still on the Dance Card! I got a little nervous in the first half of our opener Friday against Middle Tennessee State. They were right there with us for awhile. But we took care of business and beat them 87-60. A big surge at the end of the first half put us up by 18, and we coasted home… Miran “Leki” Lekivicius – Cal’s first All-American in forever – led us with 17 points and 13 rebounds.

The win over MTSU gave us another shot against Providence, the team that knocked us around two years ago 85-50 on their way to the NCT crown (ugg – seeing that score still hurts). Well, pay back sure is fun. We tripped the Friars 69-58 in this meeting in the Round of 32. Again, we weren’t 100 sharp, but at this time of year I’ll take an “ugly” win over a “pretty” loss any day.

Providence did a great job holding our guards in check. James Bennett and Adam Dunn really struggled to break free for shots. Fortunately, Leki bailed us out again with 20 points. Othella “Big O” Williams added 13 off the bench.

So we’re off to the Sweet 16 for the third year in a row! It’s nice to have put Cal on the map so quickly! Of course, success breeds rising expectations, so nothing short of a Final Four berth this year will satisfy most fans… We’re giving it our best shot…

Our next foe is another team on a Cinderella mission – 13th-seeded Stephen F. Austin. SFA has a respectable record of 26-8 and the following of the nation as they strive for their third upset of the tournament. Of course, this is familiar turf for us. We got knocked off by a #12 seed last year in Southern Illinois. I’m confident we won’t get tripped up again. Last year’s loss may in fact help us – its memory will drive us to not let that happen again…

As you may know by now, The Sheriff and his Wolfpack will be joining us in the Sweet 16. We’re still on that collision course to make it a family Final Four!! But the Pack first will have to get past an old nemesis – a team that the Sheriff and I have both had trouble with – Mississippi State. The Bulldogs are primed for an upset…

Stay tuned as we strive to be the last one’s on the dance floor by month’s end… Cal vs. N.C. State for all the marbles? It could happen...
aztarheel is offline   Reply With Quote