View Single Post
Old 02-27-2007, 11:35 PM   #31
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Gathering Greeks II

I am considering another war. It’s been a while since our last war, and I think we need to expand if we are to get Athens to join us. Plus, we are still a bit poorer than many other nations, both is research and money. Let’s take a look at some targets:

Montenegro – Currently without any allies, Montenegro is an Orthodox nation also squeezed up against the Turks. It would be hard to defend if someone (read: The Ottoman Turks) wanted to attack. It had around 5000 people in the fish trade – not very wealthy.

The Knights – Attacking The Knights of St. John at Rhodes would give us another province close to ours, and it is also a Greek culture state. The people there are Orthodox. The Knights are allied with Transylvania and the Teutonic Order. They have 18000 people working the fishing trade. Poor in terms of production and trade wealth, but that’s a much better tax base than what I currently have.

Cyprus – 11250 people work the wine trade here, making Cyprus a solidly valuable province in terms both of size and industry. I’d be a leader in wine production with three wine provinces, that’d be neat. The people here are also Greek. They are father away than The Knights, and in the heart of Islam land, with the Mameluks or the Turks or Turk allies all around. Cyprus is allied with Lorraine.

I sent my boat to Cyprus and there are 1000 solders sitting here. I’d have a standing army too being this close to the enemy. Next I sail over to Montenegro.

Rhodes has no army currently. Neither does Montenegro.

These are really the only options. I mean, I could try Dulkadir or Karamon, the Ottoman allies. I could also try Siena, on the west coast of Italy just above Rome, but that’s really far away.

Montenegro is easy to take off the list, leaving The Knights and Cyprus. I could attack The Knights, take the badboy hit for attacking and annexing – major hits, and then chill out again for a while. On the other hand, I could try to Claim Cyrpus’s throne. We are married, and that would give me a casus belli – a reason to attack them without pissing other countries off or losing stability. I’d still take a hit for annexing them. And other countries with whom I have a royal marriage would be very cross with me, and that’s not what I want to do right now.

So, although Cyprus is the better prize, The Knights appear to be the better target.

March 14, 1778 – We declare war on The Knights. Our stability drops. Modena does not support us but Athens does. Transylvania and The Teutonic Order join The Knights.

March 26, 1778 – The Siege of Rhodes begins.

June 1, 1778 – Our production tech increases, we can now build a workshop in our provinces.

19 October, 1778 – After 211 days, Rhodes falls.

21 October, 1778 – The Knights accept our peace terms and we annex Rhodes. We lost some rep with all Catholics around the world, including Athens.

Oh, and I also gained a ship too.

1 January 1779 – I hire Zygfried Denhoff, a court advisor who will help increase our prestige in the eyes of the world.

27, February 1779 – Transylvania accepts our white peace offer.

24 April, 1779 – The Teutonic Order rejects our white peace offer. Makes sense that they’d get upset at us offing a fellow Order.

I just noticed that Rhodes has a workshop.

4 August, 1779 – They again reject my offer.

1 September, 1779 – Our stability increased

12 October, 1779 – The Teutonic Order accepted our peace offer. That ties up the last end from the war that gave us Rhodes.

18 October, 1779 – The Teutonic Order lifts their embargo of us.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 03-04-2007 at 08:09 PM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote