View Single Post
Old 02-28-2007, 11:46 PM   #37
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Calm Times Come in Years of Three

28 June, 1488 – Another royal marriage offer from Lithuania and again accepted. My guess is that a new king took over and the old marriage was null and void.

5 July, 1488 – Hesse offers us an alliance. I am mulling it over. I do want an alliance outside of Cyprus now that Athens is no longer an ally nor a vassal but part of our state. However, Hesse is far removed and only a three province nation. As a result, I’d prefer someone closer or someone more powerful. I say no.

10 August, 1488 – An alliance offer from Pommerania has arrived. I refuse to ally myself with a country that is almost as far north as Scandinavia.

8 December, 1488 – An alliance offer from Austria has arrived. Now this is more interesting. Let me check out a few things.

Austria is a ten province power but she’s all spread out, from as west as eastern France to up against Lithuania. Some of her provinces aren’t even connected. She’s at least five provinces from the Turks at her closest. Her one ally is single province Baden.

The good here is that she would be a powerful ally compared to the chumps I normally align myself with. It’d give potential attackers of a smaller size something to question. But I don’t think it would stop the Turks. The good relationship I’m building with the Turks, on the other hand, may be working.

The bad here is that I might get pulled into wars in Germany and central eastern Europe. Frankly, I don’t care about these areas in the least. I’m trying to rebuild the Greek empire here, and I don’t care about Austria having hissy fits with Bavaria.

In summation, they may not be the best ally for me. (Where art thou Lithuania, Venice or Aragon?) But they are better than I’ve ever had, so I accept.

9 April, 1489 – The War of Bohemian Succession has begun. The Bohemian king died and left the throne to Transylvania. Mazovia claims that the king was not of sound mind on his deathbed. Poland joins their allies, Transylvania.

Lithuania is having serious rebel problems.

15 May, 1489 – Austria has declared war against Bavaria. I called that! Baden has joined Austria and this is great, ready? Bavaria’s ally – MODENA – chooses to leave the alliance. That’s right, Modena is still not honoring her alliances, eh?

Unfortunately, this is exactly the problem I foresaw in allying with Austria. Best to get out of this alliance now. I dishonor our pact.

3 March, 1490 – Denmark offers us an alliance. I again shirk off a northern European nation’s overtures.

20 April, 1490 – The Ottomans declare war against Bosnia. Their three allies (Candar, Karaman, and Dulkadir) join them. Montengro joins Bosnia against the Ottomans (are they crazy?)

19 July, 1490 – Montenegro has been annexed by the Turks. That was fast. And so goes another nation falling before the Ottomans.

19 February, 1491 – Poland dishonors their alliance with Lithuania, leaving them ally-less. I feel this is the perfect opportunity to offer my services as the new ally of Lithuania.

They reject my offer

20 March, 1491 – I send a new offer to Lithuania. This time, after considering my proposal, they accept!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 03-04-2007 at 08:11 PM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote