View Single Post
Old 03-04-2007, 02:07 PM   #565
QuikSand
lolzcat

Offseason Underway

The league will start the free agency process in earnest with FA Stage 2 – to be run on Monday. In preparation for the free agency market, we have launched a few renegotiation offers during the reneg-only stage one. I was delighted to see that WR Burt Pearson accepted a new deal – one which makes him a pretty affordable long-term asset for us. Here are the new components in his contract:

Code:
Year Salary Bonus Cap Hit 2007 600 4,180 4,780 2008 1,000 4,180 5,180 2009 1,650 1,900 3,550 2010 1,750 1,900 3,650 2011 3,000 1,900 4,900

So, we have guaranteed a sizable share of the long term deal, including an extra $9.5m in this year’s extension, but we keep him from having a back-end explosion in his contract at any point. As long as he remains healthy and productive, he’s a centerpiece player for our offense through his prime years, it appears. At $5.2m or less, he ought to remain a serious bargain through 2011, which will be his 9th season in the league.

We attempted to work a new deal with RT Jerry Burns, who is almost certain to me manning the RT slot for this season and beyond, but couldn’t get him to sign. I am still fairly optimistic that he will come down from his current salary figure (a vestige of a late extension from last year) but it doesn’t look like it will make a big difference for this season’s cap number, so there’s no real hurry there.

In open free agency, there are a couple of running backs in the mix, including RB Rickey Jacob, who posted a very solid season for division rivals Dodge City last year. He and Bar Harbor’s veteran Ross Rosenfels are probably the gems of the RB crop this offseason, but both are probably approaching the outside edge of their productive seasons, and we’d hate to get caught in a long term commitment to either guy. We will likely make a stab at both players, but I don’t see how we would benefit from an expensive contract for either guy, which I suspect might be necessary to land either one.

There are, simply put, zero impact pass rushers in free agency. I see a few guys who look like decent enough role players, and we might end up working a deal for a player like that, but I don’t sense that we will be all that aggressively looking to simply sign a solution to our shortage there. We will remain open to a trade to bring aboard an impact veteran player, especially at DE, but I am prepared to go into this season with a pretty young and inexperienced pass rush. Even if we add there during the draft, it seems unlikely we’ll land a guy who really changes the team right away.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote