View Single Post
Old 03-13-2007, 08:39 AM   #573
QuikSand
lolzcat

Offseason update

Two bits of news here, one FA re-signing, and one more draft pick in the books.

First, we worked out a new deal with LB D.J. Dennis, a guy who I described a while back as a perennial bubble survivor. He came aboard as an undrafted rookie back in 2004, and while he has never been a really key player for us, he brought just enough to make the team every year. He’s an excellent special teamer, and now he’s become an ILB mentor, so he has even more value. My hopes going forward are that he can bulk up a bit and slide over to play OLB, where we might be able to better use his situational pass-rushing skills more effectively. But that’s another matter.

Now, he figures into my planning a bit more than before. Looking ahead to next year, we will likely see our current D7 position leader, MLB Steven Watkins, retire. It wouldn’t take much to push Dennis into the leadership role, and if he gets there, we could open up a number of affinities – he’d bond well with two of our central players in LBs McKenzie and Ewart, and he’d also get on well with two young defenders in DE Skip Clayton and newly drafted DL Dwight Reynolds. So, there’s another reason to think that Dennis might stick around there as well. It’s conceivable that we clear the way for these affinities to kick in this year, but more likely we’ll hold off a year and work him into the leadership role for 2015.

At the end of round two, I had plans to go after another defensive player, but watching two of the guys I liked most get taken a bit ahead of me, I ended up with an unexpected BPA. So, we grabbed a wide receiver who fits the “great combine, dreadful scouting report” mold to a tee:

So, the scouts say he is a total waste of time. Okay, but that combine is pretty seriously good. His 40 time was pedestrian, and he appears to be about as dumb as a bag of hammers… but in the other physical drills, he was very good. Unusually strong for a wideout, very good broad jump, very highly developed – all these tell me that the scout view is just flat-out wrong here. My lingerning fear is that he may wee be a total void in the essential “route-running” skill, which would relegate him to role player status forever, but I expect that in time we will see him sporting some solid basic receiving skills, and who knows what else. Mystery pick, to some degree, but we are through the looking glass, folks – this is 2007!
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote