View Single Post
Old 03-13-2007, 10:46 PM   #675
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
The other was about a group of Japanese kids sent to an island to battle to the death. Absolutely loved it! (Though I can't remember the title for some reason)

Battle Royale. I agree, it's stupidly fantastic. Much better than it sounds, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd
Borat: I am not offended by Borat's antics. I used to enjoy the segments on MTV a lot. I am not offended by toilet humor and sex humor either. However, I am offended by unfunny humor. I didn't get this movie at all and I don't get why everyone else "gets it". My friends think that I am just trying to suck up to the women we hang out with that were offended by it, but I thought it really sucked. As a matter of fact the deleted scenes were about the only things that I laughed out from the entire DVD. Thumbs way down. (2/10)

I'd give Borat an 8. If I were going to judge it on the actual jokes and sketches and things, it would be about a 5 - I laughed, but it's not exactly comedic gold. To me, the actual jokes and stupid things that he gets people to say is funny and all, but that's not what makes it such a good movie IMO. I enjoyed it more because it was pretty brilliant satire that was trying to make a point that has much less to do with poo-joke humour than it seems. That he can make a movie like that and still get tons of people rolling in the aisles and not caring about the real issues it's highlighting, well that takes some talent IMO.