View Single Post
Old 04-06-2007, 01:12 PM   #596
QuikSand
lolzcat

Week 3: Chesapeake (2-0) at Hell Creek (0-2)

They are off to a bad start, but Hell Creek is a perennial contender, and not to be taken lightly here. Specifically, they have had the best secondary and pass defense in the league (specific stats aside) for the last several years, led by probably the best cornerback this league has ever seen in Brian Conger.

We will go with the same offensive gameplan as we have used the last two weeks, and will hope to once again see some good gains from our straight-ahead running game. I can’t imagine that Ross Rosenfels and company really are as good as they are playing so far, but until someone stops us, we’ll keep with it.

Week 3, 2014

played in Hell Creek, MT

56 degrees, fair, 13 mph wind

Chesapeake Chili Dogs
-
Hell Creek Tyrannosaurs
-
Scoring Summary
1Q: 10:40 CHE - Burt Pearson 10 pass from Brent Sedor (David Everhart extra point)
1Q: 00:50 CHE - David Everhart 18 field goal
2Q: 11:55 CHE - David Everhart 44 field goal
2Q: 06:57 HLC - Marlon Honaker 29 field goal
2Q: 01:59 CHE - Harry Small 1 run (David Everhart extra point)
2Q: 00:36 HLC - Marlon Honaker 54 field goal
3Q: 03:39 HLC - Marlon Honaker 32 field goal
3Q: 01:35 CHE - Robert Cooper 7 pass from Brent Sedor (David Everhart extra point)
4Q: 05:55 CHE - David Everhart 21 field goal
4Q: 00:12 CHE - David Everhart 24 field goal
Team Statistics
CHE
HLC
Record
3-0
0-3
First Downs
- by Rushing
- by Passing
- by Penalty
Total Net Yards
- Offensive Plays
- Yards per Play
Net Rushing Yards
- Rushing Attempts
- Yards per Rush
Net Passing Yards
- Att./Comp./Intrcpt
30 - 15 - 0
43 - 19 - 4
- Gross Passing Yards
- Sacks/Yards Lost
0/0
2/12
- Yards per Pass Play
Fumbles/Lost
0/0
2/0
3rd Down Conversions
6/15
5/14
- Avg. YtG on 3rd Down
4th Down Conversions
0/0
0/0
Penalties/Yards
3/20
12/77
Punt Returns/Yards
2/19
1/6
Kick Returns/Yards
3/99
6/157
Interception Ret./Yards
4/56
0/0
2pt Conversions
0/0
0/0
Red Zone Visits
- Red Zone TDs/FGs
3/3
0/2
Avg. Drive Start
OWN 38
OWN 26
Time of Possession
33:03
26:57

http://www.thefofl.com/fofl/box2014070704.html]Online Box Score[/url]

So, one more in the book, and while it’s a little different look than we had in the first two weeks, once again, we’ll take it.

The first observation is – and stop me if you’ve heard this before – we did not come right out and establish ourselves quickly in this game, the scoring summary notwithstanding. Indeed, look at how their first drive ended – (I would advise that any Hell Creek fans look the other way, as this is definitely not pretty):

- - -
Hell Creek: Weak formation with three wide receivers, strength is left. The defense is in a 43 and 2-deep bump-and-run coverage, expecting the pass. Kuykendall, McKenzie and Shaw are blitzing.
3-1-CHE47 (1Q: 11:11) Lamar Lluellyn ran around right end for 2 yards. Tackled by DE Kerry Meadows. Key block delivered by Eddie Hill. PENALTY: Hell Creek was called for Offensive Holding.

Hell Creek: Single-Back formation with four receivers, strength is right. The defense is in a 43 with nickel personnel and 4-deep zone coverage, expecting the pass. McDowell is blitzing.
3-11-HLC43 (1Q: 11:02) Skip Peterson pass completed to WR Todd Rausch for 18 yards. Tackled by CB Lewis Kuehler. The quarterback threw away from the double coverage. PENALTY: Hell Creek was called for Offensive Holding.

Hell Creek: Pro formation, strength is right. The defense is in a 43 and 3-deep zone coverage, expecting the pass. McKenzie is blitzing.
3-21-HLC33 (1Q: 10:56) Skip Peterson pass was intended for WR Todd Rausch and was intercepted by S Brett Vesser at the CHE48. The interception was returned 42 yards. Tackled by Todd Rausch. The quarterback threw away from the double coverage.

- - -

So… it seems like that sequence had the look of the ’72 Olympics basketball game, where our guys just kept getting chance after chance to finally get it right, which we ultimately did. And we then capitalized with a mighty 10-yard drive, but we were outgained in total on the first half, even though we got out to a pretty good lead.

Anyway – big picture, I am still not really thrilled with this effort. 295 yards of total offense isn’t awful to concede, but if they had gotten breaks going their way instead of ours early on, they could have easily been ahead 14-0 by the end of the first quarter (their second possession resulted in an interception in our end zone as they were again threatening). The final score is just fine, but we didn’t deserve a 24 point margin here.

I did try a new defensive tactic this week, sending a lot of blitzes at them, including a lot of two-man blitzes, something this team hasn’t done in a pretty long time. Not sure if it worked particularly well – we posted 2 sacks, 4 hurries, and 2 blocks, which isn’t an exceptional performance. We yielded under 5 yards per pass play, so that was good, I suppose (though they did great for a while, until we got the game under control later on).

WR Burt Pearson was a workhorse today – Sedor went to him on 16 of his 30 pass attempts. He ended up with a pretty good stat line, 8-171 and a TD, but his three drops probably cost us a few chances, too. Water under the bridge in a big win, I suppose.

Our backup RB Harry Small, inexplicably, had his number called a lot today – and he really delivered. While Rosenfels was struggling (12-36), Small was tremendous – his 22-131, 1TD effort was a real engine for us to get on track, and he looked sensational. All my offseason talk about having “nobody” behind Rosenfels might have been premature – there are at least some signs that this guy might be good enough to really play for us.

More tweaking ahead… I am still recoiling at a few playcalling decisions here and there, and can’t help but look at what I might be able to do to better things. But it’s tough to complain overall.

Our biggest challenge will probably be at LB this coming week, as Daryl Ewart is out for 3 weeks with a bum knee, and we really don’t have much depth behind him. I guess Travis Kuykendall stands to be our starter there, but that’s not the most encouraging situation, to be completely candid.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote