View Single Post
Old 05-08-2007, 12:43 AM   #88
molson
General Manager

THE STARS OF WORLD CLASS ON TOUR
Monday, Week 2, June 1983
Joplin, MO: 1,000 SOLD OUT

-Pre-Show Dark Match
Scott Casey defeated Checkmate in 8:23 by pinfall (C-). After the match, Akbar entered the ring, and told Checkmate that like Frank Dusek, he's embarrassed him for the last time. He's dropping Checkmate as a client, ripping up his contract in front of him (D)

-Pre-Show Dark Match
The Mantel Brothers defeated the Villanos in 5:36 by pinfall when Ken pinned Villano V. (C-).

-Fritz Von Erich defeated Super Kendo in 5:55 by submission (C-). Before the match, Fritz came to the ring and discussed how tonight marks his return to action as an active competitor (C) After the match, Akbar comes to the ring and stares down Fritz, before the 2 are separated by several jobbers from the back (C-) Bill Mercer grabs Fritz for an interview, and Frtiz jokes about the barren state of Akbar's Destruction, Inc., stable, pointing out that even the Spoiler has run out of town (C-)

-Michael Hayes & Buddy Roberts defeated Barry Orton & Brian Adias in 8:21 by pinfall when Hayes pinned Orton. (D) Orton & Adias showed good chemistry, though Adias was tiring towards the end of the match. After the match, Hayes & Gordy hyped themselves up (C)

-WCCW American Tag Team Championship Match
Kevin & Mike Von Erich defeated The Great Kabuki & Magic Dragon in 11:22 when Kevin pinned Dragon - The Von Erichs make their 4th title defense. (C) Before the match, Kabuki denounced the attack last week on Magic Dragon, calling Manny Fernandez a coward (C-) After the match, Kevin & Mike hyped themselves, calling themselves the best tag team in the world, willing to take on all comers. (C)

-Sunshine came to the ring and announced that video highlights of Precious' 24-hour stint as her valet will air on WCCW television this week (E). Precious then announces that she has officially left Jimmy Garvin for David Von Erich, and will serve as the latter's valet from now on (D+).

-David Von Erich defeats Frank Dusek in 8:14 by pinfall (C)

-WCCW American Heavyweight Championship Match (This is the title shot Manny earned in the Parade of Champions Battle Royal)
Terry Gordy and Manny Fernandez drew to a time limit draw in 20:00 (B-). Before the match, Gordy hyped his chances with Hayes by his side (C+). After the match, Fernandez & Gordy continued to stare each other down and argue as the show ended (C-)

Overall Rating: C+

THOUGHTS

-I'm pretty stunned with the C+ rating considering I only had one segment on the whole show that got higher than that - fortunately, that best segment was the 20:00 main event, so the fans seemed to go home happy. My midwest popularity takes it's largest ever jump after one show, from 45.2% to 45.8%

-The midwest crowd didn't seem to be to into the Fritz/Akbar stuff, but at least it didn't bomb, and it gave us a chance to have a solid overall rating. The deal with Fritz is simply that he's the most nationally recognized name on the roster, he gets paid the same whether he's participating on-air or not, so if he can pull some C-level segments in the midwest with the occasional B or B- in Texas in short segments, it's most definitely worth it.

-Orton & Adias, having shown good chemistry, are now a full-time jobber tag team. One of the ways I'll deal with the slightly bloated roster is more regular tag teams. Orton & Adias may not find their way out of the pre-show dark matches if they can't do better than a D rating against the Freebirds - what the hell can I expect against the Villanos?

-Kabuki & Dragon's once hot tag-team push has cooled - they've been somewhat disappointing overall. They'll finish the "revenge" angle with Manny Fernandez, but then it's time to regroup and decide if they should stay together.

-I'll have to go back through the rest of the dynasty and review this, but off the top of my head, I can't remember any well-received Precious or Sunshine Segments. The WCCW fans seem to want nothing to do with these broads. There's not much I can do about that, since I've learned that "Product Appeal" (the multi-layered customizable product type that the fans expect from a promotion) can't be tweaked at all if you work for someone else (Like I do for Fritz). So, I have to adopt Fritz' style. And apparently, the fans aren't going to accept the women in anything but a silent valet role.

-One of the reasons I brought in Manny was that I felt he could have a brutal long-term feud with Terry Gordy down the road (especially if the Freebirds break up). So tonight was something of a "teaser" match for the house show crowd, and they deliver a B- with absolutely no angle behind the match, and they single-handedly carried my show to a decent rating. They didn't blow anyone away, but they will face each other again.

Last edited by molson : 05-09-2007 at 11:18 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote