View Single Post
Old 05-20-2007, 12:08 AM   #141
molson
General Manager

WCCW: JULY STAR WARS
Saturday, Week 4, July 1983
Fort Worth, TX: 2,000 SOLD OUT

-Pre-Show Dark Match
The Sheepherders defeat the Mantel Brothers in 7:47 when Miller pinned Johnny Mantel. (C). Miller looked particularly good. After the match, the Sheepherders continued the attack. (D-)

-Pre-Show Dark Match
Chris Adams & Iceman Parsons defeat The Villanos in 4:43 when Adams pinned Villano V. (C-) Adams looked good.

-King Kong Bundy defeated Mike Von Erich by pinfall in 5:57. (D+). Before the match, Harry Frehley interviewed Mike about the match. Mike pointed out that he was the first man to take Gary Hart's $5,000 slam challenge against Bundy, and he's wanted another shot at him ever since. (D+). After the match, Gary Hart hyped his client (C+).

-Jim Garvin and Precious defeated Scott Casey in 6:07 when Precious pinned Casey (after Garvin had hit Casey with the title belt behind the referees back). (D+). During the match, after Casey throws Garvin to the floor, he grabs a mic, and asks asks Precious out on a date. Precious slaps him in the face. (C+). After the match, Garvin stole Casey's newly won TV title belt, taking it with him back to the locker room. (C)

-The Von Erichs hyped their upcoming six-man tag championship match with the Freebirds, which will be contested under hardcore rules. David says that even though he has a Texas Heavyweight Title defense, he won't hold back in the six-man-tag. (C+)

-WCCW Six-Man Tag Team Championship Match; Hardcore Rules
The Von Erichs drew with The Freebirds after none of the competitors could answer the referee's ten count. This was a brutal, weapons-filled brawl, which left all six men unable to continue. The six-man tag titles remain vacant. (C-) After the match, the six men slowly got back to their feet, and continued brawling, all over the ringside area, and eventually back to the locker room. (C+)

-As the broken tables and chairs are being cleaned up, Whipper Billy Watson comes out and introduces WCCW's newest tag team: Koko B. Ware and Bobby Eaton. (D)

-The Great Kabuki & Magic Dragon defeated Manny Fernandez and Brian Adias when Kabuki pinned Adias (C). The strategy of the victors was to keep Manny out of the ring and beat down Adias. Before the match, Manny Fernandez hyped his team with Adias, and told Kabuki & Dragon that he hasn't forgotten them putting him out of comission two months ago (D+). Also before the match, The Great Kabuki performed a bizarre misting ritual (C). After the match, put over his tag team's dominance (C).

-Adrian Adonis hyped his upcoming match with David Von Erich. He says he watched the Freebirds v. Von Erich brawl, and there's no way David has anything left for WCCW's real street fighter - Adonis. (B-) David Von Erich gave a pre-match interview, admitting that he was a little beat-up from the six-man, but that he had "plenty" left for Adonis (C)

-WCCW Texas Heavyweight Championship Match
David Von Erich defeats Adrian Adonis in 35:49 by pinfall to make his 3rd defense of the title. (B+) After the match, David celebrated the hard fought victory in the ring with Kevin and Kerry (B-)

Overall Show Rating: C+

THOUGHTS

-A pretty good show, but my road agent tells me that the fans got a little tired of David - he was in the ring for almost an hour total, and he was a part of 2 interviewes and a celebration segment. Texas popularity decreases slightly from 68.3% to 68.2%.

-But, what an awesome main event, and David and Adonis joint the exclusive "B+" match club. It was our first B+ match since last month's Star Wars event (David v. Super Destroyer). The two others were David v. Hayes, and Kevin v. Garvin. Adonis makes it clear that he's a legitimate main eventer. And it goes 35 minutes with neither guy getting fatigued. I had "protected" David in the earlier six-man, to keep him as fresh as possible (that might have negatively effected that match's rating). David and Adonis are the two top "stamina" guys on the entire roster - both max out at about 50 minutes under normal conditions.

-Tonight was the best Manny/Adias tag team match yet, and only the 2nd Adias match to reach a "C" rating (the previous one was a 1 on 1 match with Checkmate).

-The Freebirds/Von Erich brawl sounds like a fun match to me, but the WCCW aren't really into the hardcore style. This was our 4th six-man tag with these six guys, and this was the lowest rated.

-My road agent also tells me the fans were tired of Johnny Mantel - and he only wrestled in an 8 minute match on the pre-show. It might be time to upgrade our "lowest babyface on the roster" position.

Last edited by molson : 05-20-2007 at 12:27 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote