View Single Post
Old 05-26-2007, 02:41 PM   #1811
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
I think this season shows just how out of touch the judges and producers are with the current pop music scene.

I always thought American Idol is supposed to be a singing contest, not a search for the next pop music icon. It shouldn't matter what the contestants look like, but how they sing.

Melinda had the best voice. That should be all that matters. This is why I'll never know why Soul Patrol won last year and why the beatbox king was in the finals this year. Neither had the pipes or deserved to be there.

The closer they get to "the winner is the most marketable" the farther away I'll move away from the show.

Personally, I'd like to see MORE older songs. Older songs forces the performers to, y'know, actuallly SING instead of what they do nowadays.

Quote:
And the producers with their theme weeks made for some pretty feeble moments when they forced 20'ish kids to constantly sing songs older than them that they couldn't care less about. Wouldn't you want them to be finding their voices and be performing songs which would be similar to something they'd do with their career?

No, I want to be able to gauge how well they can sing traditionally, and older songs will do that.

Quote:
The whole theme week thing just promotes the "jack of all trades" kind of singer who can put some twang in their voice for country week, and cheese it up and sing some Sinatra the next week.

It's a sad day when singing Sinatra constitutes "cheesing".

Last edited by WVUFAN : 05-26-2007 at 02:41 PM.
WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote