View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007, 11:43 AM   #154
MartinD
High School Varsity

With the 53-man roster set, my thoughts turn to the type of football we want to play this year. On defence, we have enough quality through the squad to continue to play the fairly conventional 4-3 defence we've been using for the last few years, so no big changes there. Offensively, this team will go as far as Keith Hutchins is able to carry it - while our receivers aren't as talented as I'd like, a QB as solid as Hutchins can make up for a lot of shortcomings in the receiving corps! It would be nice to be able to take a bit of pressure off the passing game by having a respectable running game, but I don't see this being a viable alternative - while the offensive line is good enough, this is very much a 'RB by committee' team right now.

2022 Preseason

Setting the depth charts for preseason started with a point of interest - with Hutchins inactive, the AI put Dustin Briggs as our starter ahead of O.J. Hume...

Week 2: Philadelphia 20-14 Jacksonville
Pretty comfortable win, with QB Briggs (16/22-140-1-0) looking pretty good. The Jags were able to move the ball through the air (over 300 yards passing), but didn't threaten to score outside of two long drives.

A tough game for injuries, though - three players (C Hewko, CB Branham and S Lowe) will miss the rest of preseason, with Lowe likely to be out until week 3 or so.

Week 3: Cleveland 30-7 Philadelphia
A tough game for the offence, with only 117 yards and 7 first downs (the TD came on a Wynn kickoff return for a TD), but Briggs actually came out of this game fairly well (17/25-107-0-1) - looks like I may have found a decent QB here...

The starters come in at this point to get rid of the rust before the regular season.

Week 4: Philadelphia 13-6 Indianapolis
Not a game for the fans of shootouts, but very much a vintage Eagles performance - the defence gives away very little, and the offence does just enough to win the game.

Week 5: Baltimore 7-17 Philadelphia
Another solid workmanlike performance, with the defence leading the way - DEs Salerno (3 sacks) and Hansen (2 sacks) were the star performers.

While we have a few injuries, and the offence seems to be a little short of explosiveness, the signs so far are encouraging. (Of course, every team has stories to tell about the season that follows a strong preseason...)
MartinD is offline   Reply With Quote